2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Tiger's Golf Etiquette (Lack Thereof)

Problem is that I don't see the golf establishment taking a public stand to address this.

While it's not a public stand, I've heard that Tiger is the most fined player on the PGA tour. I'm sure it is mostly for the four letter words. I think he has even admitted to this....maybe in GD?. What I don't understand is why the FCC isn't getting involved. I thought four letter words were worth hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines.

I'm a TW fan and I don't really care if he uses bad words or throws clubs, but I think getting that emotional over one shot really hurts his game.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm somewhat dismayed over Tiger's on course behaviour (e.g. throwing clubs, etc). This has been going on for some time, not just at The Open. Problem is that I don't see the golf establishment taking a public stand to address this. Is it because he's so famous and powerful that he can get away with it?

Tiger's a role model and his behaviour can/will soon arrive at a golf course near you. Having a playing partner who acts like that would certainly ruin a round of golf for me.

Ya, what a joke. The spitting, club slaming, ect. He need to get out of the PGA and go hang out with the NBA palyers. Take a lesson from Tom Watson and maybe a golf lesson from him to because he kicked his @#$

It's not like throwing/slamming clubs make you play any better, it usually makes me play worse. He did it for the whole round both days and he missed the cut, i guess that's punishment enough and he'll realize that you usually actually play better when you handle it without slamming/throwing clubs

For whatever reason I would guess that Tiger understands his game and if he plays better/worse when slamming clubs. I mean he could still be figuring it out but I would just guess that he already knows what hes doing.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

I'm sure if Earl was still alive, he probably would have probably given Tiger an a** whoopin' by now as his on course behavior would be much better.

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

There is a fine line between fierce competitor and poor sport/spoiled brat. Tiger is the latter when he is not winning. I'd like to see the announcers call out the bad behavior from Tiger as they do with the others. His act of spitting, cursing, and slamming clubs after poor shots is immature and shows poor character.

Ping G425 Max driver & fw
Ping G425 hybrids
Ping i25 irons
Odyssey Black Tour #5

Srixon Q Star Tour

I am tired of the act and very tired of seeing it in younger competitors today:

In a recent round we were joined by a High School Golfer and very talented, however his whole routine was painfully slow, he spit like baseball player, and constantly dropped his clubs like AK.

I don't have a problem with a temper management issue from time to time, but the club throwing and spitting is just out of hand.

Joe

Driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 55 Stiff
Wood: Ping G425 5 & 7 Wood  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 75 Stiff

Hybrid: Ping 425 4i Mitsubishi Tensei Orange

Wilson D9 Forged 5-GW

Ping Glide 4.0 54 and 58 Wilson Tour Forged 56 and 60
Putter: LAB Directed Force 2.1 (33-69)//Seemore Custom "The Big Fluffy"
Bag: Vessel Player III

You guys say "club throwing" like he is hurling his club 20 yards. Now while his slamming of his club into his bag was a tad over the top. I would say that he drops his clubs not throws his clubs.

And good Lord...spitting? Do you all have any idea how many of these guys spit? Quite a few. Im sure alot of you cant get to a PGA tournament but if you go to a Nationwide event you can see that a very good majority of these guys cuss, slam clubs, and just overall get pi$$ed off.

Do I wish Tiger would quit these things sure, would I be happy if my son grew up to be like him? You bet cause I believe he is a ggod person that does good for other people. We all have our faults its just that we can see all or most of Tigers.

Nike Vapor Pro Blades 5-PW
Nike Unitized Putter
Nike Covert Driver
Nike Engage Wedges
Nike CPR 5 Wood (yes the original CPR)
NIKE Sasquatch 3 Wood

I'm somewhat dismayed over Tiger's on course behaviour (e.g. throwing clubs, etc). This has been going on for some time, not just at The Open. Problem is that I don't see the golf establishment taking a public stand to address this. Is it because he's so famous and powerful that he can get away with it?

Tiger's a role model and his behaviour can/will soon arrive at a golf course near you. Having a playing partner who acts like that would certainly ruin a round of golf for me.

Holy s***, have you ever heard of Tommy Bolt?

draiveri_veteen.jpg

Tommy_Bolt_7x9_lrg.jpg

Second, all golfers get mad, Tiger's just on camera more often.

I'd like to see Obama and Tiger play on tv, one smoking and the other smacking his club. Who's the better role model?

I think the president should quit smoking and Tiger shouldn't be seen smacking his club down. The director could really pan away quickly. How many tour players smoke and you never see them puffing away - Daly, Jimenez maybe.

Look, it isn't as if the guy's helicoptering irons at the gallery or his playing partners. He's letting off steam. It isn't that I approve, its that I really don't care - it just isn't a big deal or poor etiquette. It effects nobody, possibly excepting himself and his caddy who has to collect said club.

Get back to me when he actually endangers someone, then we can talk.

As for being a role model, try teaching your kids right and wrong for yourself and stop expecting someone else to do it for you. If you are worried about your playing partners, I can't imagine this being a problem, as long as it doesn't slow them up, again, who gives a rip. I wish this was all some of the clowns I get paired with did...

Its only an issue because it's Tiger Woods. If it was Smarmy Twoputt, nobody would give a damn.

+1 Most sensible paragraph Ive ever read on this board

Callaway GBB Epic w/- Fujikura 6.2TS X, Callaway BB 816 3W w/- Blueboard 73
Callaway Optiforce 5W w/- Blueboard 83, Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-PW w/- PXF 6.0
Callaway MD3 52°/56° Callaway PM 60°, Odyssey ProType Tour #2

My take is our society (here in the states at least) is wound up tight enough. Nudity, four letter words, political incorrectness, etc. are all banned to some degree, yet we have no problem paying millions of dollars, and giving star status to what amounts to criminals playing games for a living.

Until we raise the level of the rest of the sporting world's behavior, I think finding issue with Tiger Woods is laughable.

Nicely put! :D

Eldrick is a punk and acts it. Classless punk ego maniac. No fan of him here. The Media kisses his arse so bad.

So darn glad pissy attitude Eldrick got shipped back across the pond in this one.

Tiger is a horrible role model, never will change, and has not one excuse as he is overpaid and red carpet treated everywhere.

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3,5,7  FW's  Even Flow Green   
TM                   M4      5 hybrid  Atmos 

TM                  P790   6-PW Recoil ESX

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  SS 

TM                  Spider cs  Iomic Absolute-X  

The best expression I have heard:

When Sergio gets mad and throws stuff on the course, he is labeled as immature. When Tiger gets mad and throws stuff on the course, he is labeled as passionate.

We have so much man-love for Tiger that we allow him to do anything and just sit back and go "awww, cute." He is a fantastic player but for the anger issues alone is why he will never achieve the same level and Jack or Arnie no matter how much he wins.

TM Sim2 w/ Tensei CK White

TM Sim2 Titanium 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
TM Sim2 3h w/ AXIVCore Green
TM P790 4i w/ HZRDUS Smoke
TM P7MC 5 - 8 w/ Project X LZ

TM P7MB 9 - PW w/ Project X LZ
TM MG 50 and 55 w/ Project X LZ

TM MG Hi-Toe 60 w/ Project X LZ
TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

Look, it isn't as if the guy's helicoptering irons at the gallery or his playing partners. He's letting off steam. It isn't that I approve, its that I really don't care - it just isn't a big deal or poor etiquette. It effects nobody, possibly excepting himself and his caddy who has to collect said club.

Get back to me when he actually endangers someone, then we can talk.

As for being a role model, try teaching your kids right and wrong for yourself and stop expecting someone else to do it for you. If you are worried about your playing partners, I can't imagine this being a problem, as long as it doesn't slow them up, again, who gives a rip. I wish this was all some of the clowns I get paired with did...

Its only an issue because it's Tiger Woods. If it was Smarmy Twoputt, nobody would give a damn.

+1 Most sensible paragraph Ive ever read on this board

You never know when one of those clubs will fly and hurt someone. TW is a role model like it or not and he does no any good throwing tantrums all day. Nobody likes people who are angry and throwing clubs whether they are know or not. Kids emulate their heros regardless of what we teach them.

Tiger's a great guy, off the course. ON the course, he means business, and you should now that. Losing a championship to him is like losing your job. How would you feel if you lost your job and it was your fault? I have a feeling you would be little angry and maybe say/do somethings that you wouldn't want everyone in the world to see. Regardless, Tiger shouldn't act like that on a global production.

There seems to be a lot of judging going on here. I guess that if you all had cameras on you all the time you wouldn't do anything wrong, huh?

I'm not a huge Tiger fan, but I really don't see what the issue is with him showing anger on the course. It's not like he is snapping clubs over his knee or anything.

There seems to be a lot of judging going on here. I guess that if you all had cameras on you all the time you wouldn't do anything wrong, huh?

I'm not a huge Tiger fan, but I really don't see what the issue is with him showing anger on the course. It's not like he is snapping clubs over his knee or anything.

Agree 100%. Everyone has their bad days. Just imagine you all had cameras on you all the time, and everything you did was going to be critisized by nit-wits the world over. My respect for Tiger comes from my own profession of music, in which being under a microscope is common, especially since music is subjective, there is no way to silence critics. You can sell 50 million albums, and still be a terrible musican, or vice versa. Madonna had multiple #1 hits. Toy Matinee, the same musicians, composers, producers, and engineers but lacking Madonna herself, peaked at #156 on the charts.

Tiger Woods, however, cannot escape so easilly. Until Tiger figures out what is wrong, he'll continue to have problems. He can change coaches, caddies, sponsors, and all that jazz, but, why has all of that stuff, which won him multiple majors, suddenly failed?

When a car breaks down, you don't start tearing out the trim, replacing the upholstery, and replacing the tires if the damn engine's on fire. When the engine fails, you fix the engine. Haney, Stevie, Nike? They're not the problem. The man had a bad week, that is all. For all the acomplishments he's made, he receives more s*** than anyone.

No, but that would be freakin' awesome!

Add: Yes, it would be.

[quote name='mattsmithpga' post='1835517' date='Jul 21 2009, 11:37 PM']Tiger throwing clubs absolutely disgusts me. The #1 player in the world should have the #1 golf etiquette in the world. :angry2:

EDIT= spelling[/quote]

And hot women should want my body, the moon should be made from ice cream, money should grow on trees, and George W. Bush should learn to read, but none of that is going to happen either. The fact of the matter is, that nothing is ever as clear cut as it should be.

[quote name='imyourfrend' post='1831108' date='Jul 20 2009, 11:06 AM'][b]Tiger's a great guy, off the course[/b]. ON the course, he means business, and you should now that. Losing a championship to him is like losing your job. How would you feel if you lost your job and it was your fault? I have a feeling you would be little angry and maybe say/do somethings that you wouldn't want everyone in the world to see. Regardless, Tiger shouldn't act like that on a global production.[/quote]

There's probably about 4,000 people on here that are so jealous of the fact you know him personally to be able to make that statement. Watch out for your PM box to get flooded....

[quote name='cardia10' post='1827278' date='Jul 18 2009, 11:20 AM']It's all about who is doing it. I would bet if John Daly did it, they would say he was drunk and try to suspend him again. If Tiger does it, he is just showing emotion. Emotions like that get you called a crybaby where I'm from. Totally fine to be upset, but to slam your club or throw it after every shot? Have some mf'n class.[/quote]

I agree 100% The sole reason I am not a fan is because of his attitude. He is a crybaby. What alot of people are saying about emotion is all fine, but he is a repeat offender. It is not once that he snapps a club like Els, or spits in the cup like Sergio, he is throws tantrums quite often. It is not just an emotional blow up, it is his continuous behavior. I think that is the biggest difference.

Eh, I don't mind (he is human) although he should cut back a bit. When I miss a shot badly and I get pissed I know I shouldn't because I'm really not good enough to get mad. Tiger on the other hand...is that good.

You can't clap and cheer when he makes a clutch putt to win a tournament and does a fist pump but get mad when he shows emotion for a missed shot.