Tiger's Golf Etiquette (Lack Thereof)

Why isn't he being admonished?
I'm somewhat dismayed over Tiger's on course behaviour (e.g. throwing clubs, etc). This has been going on for some time, not just at The Open. Problem is that I don't see the golf establishment taking a public stand to address this. Is it because he's so famous and powerful that he can get away with it?

Tiger's a role model and his behaviour can/will soon arrive at a golf course near you. Having a playing partner who acts like that would certainly ruin a round of golf for me.

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Driver
Ping G25 4-Wood
Ping G25 20*,23*, 27* Hybrids
Ping G25 6-U Irons
Ping iWedge 56 & 60
Ping Karsten TR Anser 2

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree they should ban him for life for showing an ounce of human emotion, they also should have banned Ernie after he slammed an 8i into his bag breaking his putter at the "04" Tour Championship

Callaway GBB Epic w/- Fujikura 6.2TS X, Callaway BB 816 3W w/- Blueboard 73
Callaway Optiforce 5W w/- Blueboard 83, Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-PW w/- PXF 6.0
Callaway MD3 52°/56° Callaway PM 60°, Odyssey ProType Tour #2

I agree with to an extent. I do not agree with Tiger's behavior but, Tiger puts so much pressure on himself while striving for perfection on every shot and bears all the focus and attention that the golf world has to offer week in and week out. How else is the guy supposed to relieve this stress on the golf course? I do not mind the club throwing and things of that nature as much as I do the swearing loud enough that the cameras and gallery can hear. While I am not condoning his actions, I do think that there is some things to consider for why Tiger acts this way. I guess there are worse things that Tiger Woods could be doing on the golf course. :)

I agree they should ban him for life for showing an ounce of human emotion, they also should have banned Ernie after he slammed an 8i into his bag breaking his putter at the "04" Tour Championship

Admonish does not necessarily mean nuclear option. There's a whole spectrum of options ranging from doing nothing to eliminating him. While others may occasionally exhibit occasional spontaneoud emotional responses, Tiger is way exceeding anyone else in this.

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Driver
Ping G25 4-Wood
Ping G25 20*,23*, 27* Hybrids
Ping G25 6-U Irons
Ping iWedge 56 & 60
Ping Karsten TR Anser 2

My take is our society (here in the states at least) is wound up tight enough. Nudity, four letter words, political incorrectness, etc. are all banned to some degree, yet we have no problem paying millions of dollars, and giving star status to what amounts to criminals playing games for a living.

Until we raise the level of the rest of the sporting world's behavior, I think finding issue with Tiger Woods is laughable.

This is another pointless thread on this subject.

Christie Kerr left a good divot on a tee box with her driver late in the US Open is she due to get suspended? What about Woody? He has had his moments. (quite dramatic at that)

Why single out Tiger...you only think he does it all the time because of his coverage. Go to a PGA event and you will see how many people throw fits.

Is it right no. Am I immune no, hence I will not rip on him or anyone else.

My take is our society (here in the states at least) is wound up tight enough. Nudity, four letter words, political incorrectness, etc. are all banned to some degree, yet we have no problem paying millions of dollars, and giving star status to what amounts to criminals playing games for a living.

Until we raise the level of the rest of the sporting world's behavior, I think finding issue with Tiger Woods is laughable.

while there are certainly plenty of professional athletes that have had some questionable behavior, at least these NFL/NBA thugs are doing their shenanigans and bad behavior away from their sport and not on national TV. The other thugs are doing bad things after hours (OK, except for the indiana pacers brawl a few years back), tiger's acting up while on the job

I'd heard lots of complaints about tiger's behavior, but seeing it on sportcenter this morning was really quite eye opening. I had no idea tiger was such a hot head on the course.

Golf has always been a game of sportsmanship, rules and etiquette i dont think we need to start comparing our golf stars to other sports stars because we hold ourselves to higher etiquette standards so yes tigers behavior would be average for other sports but this sport is different and i think he should tone it down alil bit. and yes anthony kim absolutely disgusted me at the ATT with his display of club throwing. As someone who works in the golf industry i dont wanna see this behavior on my course.

Tiger's behavior compared to athletes in most other sports is not bad at all. Now that being said Tiger could take a poop in the middle of the fairway and most of the people in the media would find a reason to justfy it.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Look, it isn't as if the guy's helicoptering irons at the gallery or his playing partners. He's letting off steam. It isn't that I approve, its that I really don't care - it just isn't a big deal or poor etiquette. It effects nobody, possibly excepting himself and his caddy who has to collect said club.

Get back to me when he actually endangers someone, then we can talk.

As for being a role model, try teaching your kids right and wrong for yourself and stop expecting someone else to do it for you. If you are worried about your playing partners, I can't imagine this being a problem, as long as it doesn't slow them up, again, who gives a rip. I wish this was all some of the clowns I get paired with did...

Its only an issue because it's Tiger Woods. If it was Smarmy Twoputt, nobody would give a damn.

as a kid i filled divots on #8 at the memorial tournament in dublin. i watched nick faldo chunk one, break his 8 iron in two, rip his glove into shreds, and leave the scraps for me to pick up. he was on his way to miss to the cut and not on tv, which was tiger yesterday. the difference is that tiger is on tv for every single shot he takes in every tournament.

a bunch of these guys are just babies, including tiger. i'm not defending tiger or any of them, but this kind of behavior is more common than you think. to fine tiger enough to make him feel it, it would have to be a rediculous amount of $. i had heard that he's the most fined on tour.

It's all about who is doing it. I would bet if John Daly did it, they would say he was drunk and try to suspend him again. If Tiger does it, he is just showing emotion. Emotions like that get you called a crybaby where I'm from. Totally fine to be upset, but to slam your club or throw it after every shot? Have some mf'n class.

" Sour Puss Tiger" is showing himself more and more....

Yes- the # 1 Athlete, the most watched, most admired by all ages has MORE of a responsibility

to behave himself than the other athletes... sorry, just a fact.

===

The last 50 years have produced more Spioled Brat athletes than ever before.

Yes we had out Terrible Tommy Bolt club throwing.. and I think he was spoken to- admonished.

The athletes of yesteryear had the positive peer pressure which doesnt exist today.

Big Strong John Newcomb in tennis - he would take the brat aside in the locker room.. jack him up and say

"quit the crap.. or you'll deal with me" to the player whom didnt give the game or the competitor the respect it deserved.

I dont remember seeing Jack Nicklaus throwing clubs.....

Maybe Tiger's upset because his private talk with Pres. Obummer didnt go as well as he thought.......

I'm somewhat dismayed over Tiger's on course behaviour (e.g. throwing clubs, etc). This has been going on for some time, not just at The Open. Problem is that I don't see the golf establishment taking a public stand to address this. Is it because he's so famous and powerful that he can get away with it?

Tiger's a role model and his behaviour can/will soon arrive at a golf course near you. Having a playing partner who acts like that would certainly ruin a round of golf for me.

I agree. If I were playing with him or anyone for that matter that acted that way not once, not twice, but several times in a round I would more than likely just keep walking and leave them in my tracks.

How many of these thread does this forum need? I think there are at least five going right now. Would 10 threads be enough, 50, 100? What's the number?

[b]Driver:[/b] TaylorMade Tour Issue M3 8.9*, Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.2 Tour Spec X
[b]3 Wood:[/b] Taylormade R15 15*, Fujikura Motore F1X
[b]Hybrid:[/b] TaylorMade M1 19*, Fujikura Speeder Evo 82H X
[b]Irons:[/b] Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW , Tour Issue TT DG X100
[b]Wedges:[/b] Yururi Gekku Raw 49*, 53* & 57* Nippon NS Pro Modus3 130X
[b]Putter: [/b]Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

Woody Austin is right when he says he does the same junk as Tiger but he's labeled as a hot-head while Tiger is glorified by the politically-correct media as a "competitor"

One thing is for certain; as far as being a good sport & role model for the kids, Tiger is no Jack (or Arnie)

Obviously Woody can't handle it, he's got what 2 or 3 wins in career?? Tiger gets mad like Stadler wears his emotions and lets off steam and is labeled a hothead brat............Stenson,Duval and Goosen show no emotion and are called "robots" Mickelson smiles too much and he is called "fake"

To everybody on this board and golf boards across the internet, stop trying to be judge and jury.WE don't know these guys anymore than we care to know our own local politicians......... but yet we think OUR opinions mean the world to everyone else............

Can't we discuss the current leaderboards, course conditions, equipment and travel?? Nooooooooo we trash Tiger and Phil, call Sabbatini an A-hole all to make ourselves feel better about our paltry lives(I guess) Golf is a gentlemans' sport.........call strokes on ourselves etc, etc

However this isn't the "Leave it to Beaver days" courtesy is not widely practice anymore(unfortunately) Media coverage is rampant(unfortunately) and patience is non-existent....

Some guys get so frustrated with this crazy game they don't react they just quit!!! Tiger missing the cut for the 5 or 6th time in 246 pro starts was bound to happen..........from my point Tiger isn't a mudder!!! Bad conditions(wind and rain) de-rail his game ..........While Tiger in front and playing well is some of the best golf to watch, he isn't the only one!!

Last weekend for example the Euro tour in the morn, Nationwide and Women's Open midday and John Deere with SR. Tour at night...........Nirvana!!! Golf, golf and more golf!!! Kaymer, Ji, Stricker, Langer were fun to watch WIN!!

To wrap it..........can we stay positive about golf,please???

When the powers that be don't even have the balls to address his caddie that feels the need to do a striptease approaching the 18th green, do you really think they are going to say anything to Woods?

Somebody with some authoritaaa needs to grow a set and tell them both to quit acting like tools.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

DNFTT

+1

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!