2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Private Golf Clubs

DBake

No, its Portland GC. Its a good club, just not my favorite... Great location though...

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='njlam' post='2026378' date='Oct 25 2009, 08:59 PM']What club in the Pacific NorthWest has hosted a Ryder Cup, a PGA Championship and a Western Open?

The answer to this question may be the same answer to the question of what is the best private golf club in the Portland Metro area.[/quote]

[b]Portland Golf Club [/b]has a long history of hosting international competitions. These include The 1947 Ryder Cup, Western Amateur, Women’s Western Open, Portland Open (PGA), 1946 PGA Championship Men’s Western Open, Alcan Open, US Senior Open, the LPGA Championship, US Senior Amateur, and the Fred Meyer Challenge.

Golf’s greats have graced the greens of Portland Golf Club. They include Bobby Jones, Ben Hogan, Sam Snead, Byron Nelson, Cary Middlecoff, Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Gary Player, Billy Casper, Lee Trevino, Greg Norman, Peter Jacobsen, Payne Stewart, Kathy Whitworth, Donna Caponi, Nancy Lopez, and more. Most recently PGA tour winner Ben Crane, who grew up learning the game of golf as a PGC junior golfer, is now a third-generation member.

Now having said that, I would personally rate [b]Royal Oaks Country Club[/b] in Vancouver, WA as my favorite in the Portland, OR metro area. I could play Royal Oaks every day and never get bored... just a classic design and a GREAT test of golf.

[b]1947 US Ryder Cup Team...[/b]

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do." - John Wooden

"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” - Henry Thoreau

In the Seattle area, the private courses I have played:

Overlake, Glendale, Sandpoint, and Broadmoor: Very nicely maintained courses with nice greens, but pretty boring tracts. Typical in-city courses.

Inglewood: Good shape and straight forward design. Being close to the water, surprising that you don't really have many views. Kind of a killer walk, as there are a lot of holes uphill.

Plateau club: Decent shape, but not the best layout. As someone mentioned above, a little gimicky.

Tumble Creek: Absolute beautiful course and a great design (with the exception of holes 16,17, IMHO). The greens were in perfect condition, but one of the reasons is that they only average 10 rounds/day during the week. Don't know if they are going to make it as a private course.

TPC: Absolute shame what was done to this course. On some holes on the front 9, the homes line the fairway. Some beautiful holes on the back, but I just couldn't get over all the houses. Just didn't suit me that as I was hitting my approach shot, that there was a 5 yo in a kiddie pool 10 yards from me!

Sahalee: Great course and well maintained. A beautiful northwest course. Very tight with all the trees.

Aldarra: For me, the best of the best. Well maintained and a beautiful layout. You use every club in the bag at this course.

royal oaks is just that good. anytime of year. requires accuracy off the tee. draws. fades. you must place the ball perfectly on the greens - know where to hit the ball. some of the best putting surfaces period. also two drivable par 4's - one on each side to add a little flavor to the round. old course - very mature - classic design. all of the facilities have been remodeled with the exception of the men/womens locker rooms.

[quote name='swanry30' post='2045200' date='Nov 4 2009, 08:17 AM']royal oaks is just that good. anytime of year. requires accuracy off the tee. draws. fades. you must place the ball perfectly on the greens - know where to hit the ball. some of the best putting surfaces period. also two drivable par 4's - one on each side to add a little flavor to the round. old course - very mature - classic design. all of the facilities have been remodeled with the exception of the men/womens locker rooms.[/quote]

Great Course no doubt. Had a buddy who moved dow that way and joined it........Fastest greens around back then.

If I remember correctly, Tiger won the PNGA Mens Championship there. Was taking the ball over trees on some of the dog legs and made the holes look stupid, but then again he did this to many courses hasn't he.

I will throw a flyer out there to the folks up North............Royal Colwood in Victoria. One of my all time fav's to play. No club sits in the bag for this round. They all come out to play!

BG

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Gawfman123' post='2023024' date='Oct 23 2009, 02:38 PM']Columbia Edgewater is an amazing golf course. Waverly is ok. Portland G.C. is good. Witch Hollow is pretty good. The Oregon Golf Club is for a goat. But Royal Oaks....WOW!!! I used to work there in high school in the bag room, and have played it many times since.

For me, it is the greatest example of a "classic" golf club. The greens are just AMAZING!!!

Willamette Valley is a great club, and don't forget Eugene CC as well.[/quote]

I'd rate Willamette Valley higher than Royal Oaks, ONLY b/c it plays well year round and IMO is a lot like Royal Oaks. Whereas Royal Oaks doesn't drain well, but during the good months its a great old traditional course and again, IMO, the best in the area. LOL, any place where normal stint on the greens is 13 is going to be challenging.

Haven't played Portland CG, Oregon CG or Columbia Edgewater yet.

[quote name='78blades' post='2071083' date='Nov 18 2009, 04:18 AM'][quote name='Gawfman123' post='2023024' date='Oct 23 2009, 02:38 PM']Columbia Edgewater is an amazing golf course. Waverly is ok. Portland G.C. is good. Witch Hollow is pretty good. The Oregon Golf Club is for a goat. But Royal Oaks....WOW!!! I used to work there in high school in the bag room, and have played it many times since.

For me, it is the greatest example of a "classic" golf club. The greens are just AMAZING!!!

Willamette Valley is a great club, and don't forget Eugene CC as well.[/quote]

I'd rate Willamette Valley higher than Royal Oaks, ONLY b/c it plays well year round and IMO is a lot like Royal Oaks. Whereas Royal Oaks doesn't drain well, but during the good months its a great old traditional course and again, IMO, the best in the area. LOL, any place where normal stint on the greens is 13 is going to be challenging.

Haven't played Portland CG, Oregon CG or Columbia Edgewater yet.
[/quote]
Just play PGC or Edgewater twice... OGC is a joke. Most people either love it or hate it.

I was going to play out there a couple weeks ago, but heard they only have 15 holes open or something anyway... doing bunker work on the first three I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='tteep' post='2093405' date='Nov 30 2009, 11:31 AM']I agree with you... just played a tournament at Bear Creek... leaves all over, scabby fairways and greens... thought the clubhouse was alright... but for the price I could think of a lot better clubs. The best hidden secret in Washington has to be Oakbrook CC.[/quote]

I'm still considering Bear Creek, mostly due to the lower cost. Plateau, Aldarra and Sahalee would be a lot more money for me.

I have played Bear Creek once and even though I didn't have problems with leaves, I wasn't very impressed with the drainage.

• 10 months later...

[quote name='Tylanthus' timestamp='1287002155' post='2741687']
Can anybody elaborate on why there isn't much love for The Oregon Golf Club? I'm in the market and the location puts it at the top of my list...

Also, any opinions on Tualatin Country Club?
[/quote]
Like I said earlier in the thread, most people either love OGC or hate it... there's really no in between. I've heard more than one person describe it as mickey mouse. I don't have an intense hatred for it, but I'd definitely play 15 other courses in the area instead of it. Plus, it's an American Golf facility.. so depending on how you look at things, that's either a completely awful thing or just "ehh, okay."

TCC is very nice. I can't say what it's like during the winter, but it plays great in the summer. Lots of trees... it's pretty much your NW-style tree lined course, but much nicer.

I thought TCC is about the same as Edgewater. If the drive isn't too killer for you, that and Waverley would be on the tops of my list. You should get a play-day if you're shopping around at all these courses anyway.

Let us know which you choose.

I think I have a lot to learn! I'm unsure what American Golf really entails :)

I will add Waverly to my list...unfortunately driving through the city might kill the appeal of some of the northern PDX clubs like Columbia-Edgewater.

Thank you for the quick notes on TCC as well. For some reason finding info on these clubs without contacting them directly is proving difficulteinstein.gif At least I've met some friendly Membership Directors...

Anyone play Awbrey Glen down in Bend? How does it rate vs a course like Pumpkin Ridge Witch Hollow? Thanks.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Can anybody elaborate on why there isn't much love for The Oregon Golf Club? I'm in the market and the location puts it at the top of my list...

[/quote]
Tualatin is a great course and they have pretty good rates to join still. Oregon has a great setting but the course is very hard and not walking friendly. If you like uneven lies on every shot and elevated greens then Ogc is for you.

It's too far away to be practical for me at the moment, but Semiahmoo/Loomis Trails is awesome.

As a blue collar guy from a less-than-wealthy upbringing who happened upon a great opportunity to play competitive golf growing up, I noticed many of these ultra posh courses, while great to play, have some of the most stuffy members I've ever come across. Snootfests to the extreme.

I'd be much happier joining a club where I felt like a member, not an outcast. Paying $40,000+ and $700/month to not be wanted kinda sucks.

As a junior at Semiahmoo my dad's pickup broke down in the parking lot after a tournament. Literally, down for the count. Embarrassing as all heck. A member was kind enough to not only volunteer to be our taxi service but let us use his vehicle to run for parts. Two other members who were self professed "gearheads" helped my dad fix the truck in the parking lot and bought us dinner afterwards. My dad tried to pay and one guy's response was "buy your kid the next overpriced club he wants and we'll call it even." Granted this about a decade ago but the atmosphere up there was very kindhearted and relaxing.

I've never forgotten that.

Indian Summer is right down the street and seems nice, but I haven't had enough spare time to really investigate a private club membership.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1287027175' post='2742309']
Anyone play Awbrey Glen down in Bend? How does it rate vs a course like Pumpkin Ridge Witch Hollow? Thanks.
[/quote]

I've played Awbrey many times, although it's been several years since I have been there. I like the golf course and it has a good practice area. The staff at Awbrey is top notch and has been there forever. It is fun to play and stays in good condition. But, there are several good options for private clubs in Central Oregon. If you get a chance to play Awbrey, go for it. And enjoy the tee shot on #12 (I think it's 12). It is a long par 5, but the downhill is very severe. You may hit the longest drive of your life on that hole.

[b]Driver:[/b] TaylorMade Tour Issue M3 8.9*, Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.2 Tour Spec X
[b]3 Wood:[/b] Taylormade R15 15*, Fujikura Motore F1X
[b]Hybrid:[/b] TaylorMade M1 19*, Fujikura Speeder Evo 82H X
[b]Irons:[/b] Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW , Tour Issue TT DG X100
[b]Wedges:[/b] Yururi Gekku Raw 49*, 53* & 57* Nippon NS Pro Modus3 130X
[b]Putter: [/b]Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

[quote name='doof_dizzler' timestamp='1287049890' post='2742466']
Victoria Golf Club = Pebble Beach North

[url="http://www.victoriagolf.com/"]http://www.victoriagolf.com/[/url]
[/quote]

Far from it, BUT since I have played it many times, it is a treat and the first 10 holes are special, the rest is very boring. At one time it had 3 straight Par 3's (8,9 and 10) Wind plays a huge factor along the shoreline and it is the only course were I have seen a Killer Whale in the water while playing golf, were one has to time when their tee shots due the water splashing over the rocks onto the tee box area during gusty days and high tide, and were I hit a 3 iron into a 110 yard Par 3 and a driver into a 185 yard Par 3 on the very next hole.
It is also the only course that I have played were a Bag Piper can be seen and heard out on the rocks playing a tune while your playing.

Cool course and there is a Shell Wonderful World of Golf match filmed there showing these special holes down near the water.

Another one I really like is Persimmon Country Club in Gresham, OR.

A short course by modern standards but challenging.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

[quote name='option720' timestamp='1287029024' post='2742343']

[/quote]
Tualatin is a great course and they have pretty good rates to join still. Oregon has a great setting but the course is very hard and not walking friendly. If you like uneven lies on every shot and elevated greens then Ogc is for you.
[/quote]
Tualatin is a great track and lots of great members (I am not one of them, but will join once I get out of my current club). Best greens on the west side. Portland GC lost their greens this year and it will be years before they are good again (they fired their greenskeeper). There are a couple of quirky holes (#8 and #10) but if you play here, you will become an excellent driver of the ball and have a great short game and putting stroke. In other words, you will have a handicap that will travel well to other courses (if that is important to you).

The driving range sucks, but they do have a nice short game practice area.

If you are further south, Willamette is another good choice.

Don't waste your time with Oregon GC or Lake Oswego GC. Neither course is very enjoyable IMO especially if you are a walker.

If for some reason you are willing to look way out on the west side, you could consider Pumpkin Ridge and right now it isn't expensive to join either.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

I really want to like Oregon Golf Club due to location... I'm going to go visit next week. It pains me to see walkability being a major low point as I'm a carrier whenever possible.

I am adding TCC and WVCC to my list. Anybody ever take the ferry across the river to get to Canby? If that is a quick and reliable travel option WVCC will garner some major bonus points partytime2.gif

I really like Witch Hollow (and Ghost Creek for that matter), there simply is no easy way to get to that side of the city from the southern suburbs of PDX.

I really want to like Oregon Golf Club due to location... I'm going to go visit next week. It pains me to see walkability being a major low point as I'm a carrier whenever possible.

I am adding TCC and WVCC to my list. Anybody ever take the ferry across the river to get to Canby? If that is a quick and reliable travel option WVCC will garner some major bonus points partytime2.gif

I really like Witch Hollow (and Ghost Creek for that matter), there simply is no easy way to get to that side of the city from the southern suburbs of PDX.

The clubhouse is really nice, the men's locker room is outstanding and the views of Mt Hood are spectacular. The course? Ehhh....

When you go out to play the course, make sure you walk it. Don't let them stick you in a cart. You will underestimate how hard it is to walk the course unless you do it.

I lived in West Linn for many years and even though it was the most convenient club to me, I would not join because of the walkability factor.

Old stuff:

New stuff
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

[quote name='dan360' timestamp='1287077491' post='2742968']
Another one I really like is Persimmon Country Club in Gresham, OR.

A short course by modern standards but challenging.
[/quote]
Personally, I like it too. It's nowhere near the same league as the other privates in town, but it is about the only thing anywhere near Portland-Eastside.

I would've recommended it myself, but the OP seems to be looking at clubs clearly in another tier than Persimmon. Two negatives (I've voiced here before), I found it to be overpriced for a single under 30 and it's an American Golf facility. The later is probably the reason why the former sucks. Just my opinion though.

• 7 months later...

[quote name='njlam' timestamp='1256529592' post='2026378']
What club in the Pacific NorthWest has hosted a Ryder Cup, a PGA Championship and a Western Open?

The answer to this question may be the same answer to the question of what is the best private golf club in the Portland Metro area.
[/quote]

A: Portland Golf Club

But, I think Royal Oaks is the better course! :sorry::drinks:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Fircrest is a nice, classic, in town course. Nice condition most of the year with good greens.

I'm fortunate to know a couple members there and play it once or twice a year. A couple years ago, they removed hundreds of huge fir trees to allow more sun in. The greens were suffering from a lack of sunlight. The course condition has thrived ever since. Apparently it was a tough sell for the members to go along with it but ultimately they had to do it.

Tacoma Country and Golf club is a nice track with IMO the best greens around.They run about 12 or 13 in the summer. An old time, play underneath the hole kind of course. I like it. A friend used to be a member there as a perk for the job he had and would get us on every once in awhile. Haven't been there in a few years. I can't imagine it's changed much.

Oakbrook has been bought by the Ryan Moore Golf management group and is undergoing facilities improvements as this is being written. Never been there but I hear it's a real nice course.

That is pretty much it for Tacoma private courses as far as I know.

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd revive this and ask anyone what they thought...

I'm looking into getting a golf membership in the PDX area. I live in SE, near Waverly...but I don't think I can afford that. I sent a note over to their contact there and never got a response. I'm 25, and looking for a family membership so my wife can join me too.

I go between Vancouver and PDX, and I want to find a club between those two areas. Driving across Portland or into Beaverton isn't really something I want to do. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best value? I'm setting a goal to play at least 4 times a week, and during the summer I plan to play at least 18 holes a day, as I am finishing school. I'm going to focus on the golf, so having amenities and things like that doesn't really bother me...I'm mainly concerned about the course conditions once winter comes.

I played at Broadmoor the other week and it was a soggy mess, even though it had been dry for a few days. I worry during the winter it's going to be absolutely brutal. It also wasn't too difficult, as many of the holes are wide and provide plenty of options to drive right at the green.

Hopefully that's enough detail. Any suggestions?

[quote name='Ajlepisto' timestamp='1336105971' post='4845468']
Thought I'd revive this and ask anyone what they thought...

I'm looking into getting a golf membership in the PDX area. I live in SE, near Waverly...but I don't think I can afford that. I sent a note over to their contact there and never got a response. I'm 25, and looking for a family membership so my wife can join me too.

I go between Vancouver and PDX, and I want to find a club between those two areas. Driving across Portland or into Beaverton isn't really something I want to do. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best value? I'm setting a goal to play at least 4 times a week, and during the summer I plan to play at least 18 holes a day, as I am finishing school. I'm going to focus on the golf, so having amenities and things like that doesn't really bother me...I'm mainly concerned about the course conditions once winter comes.

I played at Broadmoor the other week and it was a soggy mess, even though it had been dry for a few days. I worry during the winter it's going to be absolutely brutal. It also wasn't too difficult, as many of the holes are wide and provide plenty of options to drive right at the green.

Hopefully that's enough detail. Any suggestions?
[/quote]

The best value is Arrowhead. There's no food minimums or anything... just golf. How much are you looking to spend? I went through the whole dog and pony show last year looking at clubs but just chose to save the money... the value just wasn't there for me at any of the clubs in the area with the abbreviated golf season.

You might also look into Riverside, but I still think Arrowhead is a better track.