Provisional ball rule

- Harrington at the Deutsch Bank
Don't know if anyone noticed but there was an illustration of how the provisional ball rule works (and doesn't work) during yesterday's final round of the Deutsch Bank championship.

I believe it was #12, Padraig Harrington pulled his tee shot left into the trees. With the possibility of a lost ball, Harrington went ahead and hit a provisional ball to the middle of the fairway.

His original ball was found but Harrington deemed it unplayable. Apparently, two club lengths would not give relief and there was no way to drop back on a line between the ball and the hole, so Paddy chose to replay the ball from the original position, in this case returning to the tee.

The provisional ball could not be used because a provisional may only be used if there is a possibility the original ball may be lost or out of bounds. As soon as the first ball was found, the provisional had to be abandoned.

Thus, Paddy's trek back to the tee to hit yet another... (the loneliest walk in golf...)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='tjy355' post='1939677' date='Sep 8 2009, 04:48 PM']....
Thus, Paddy's trek back to the tee to hit yet another... (the loneliest walk in golf...)[/quote]

That is a good illustration, though on any public course that walk is going to be more humiliating than lonely, as you approach the waiting group on the tee who can't believe what they're seeing.

[quote name='boo radley' post='1939926' date='Sep 8 2009, 06:26 PM'][quote name='tjy355' post='1939677' date='Sep 8 2009, 04:48 PM']....
Thus, Paddy's trek back to the tee to hit yet another... (the loneliest walk in golf...)[/quote]

That is a good illustration, though on any public course that walk is going to be more humiliating than lonely, as you approach the waiting group on the tee who can't believe what they're seeing.
[/quote]

Not only that, but it also irritates the group behind, due to a slow pace of play.

[quote name='Crazie.eddie' post='1939996' date='Sep 8 2009, 06:57 PM'][quote name='boo radley' post='1939926' date='Sep 8 2009, 06:26 PM'][quote name='tjy355' post='1939677' date='Sep 8 2009, 04:48 PM']....

[/quote]

Not only that, but it also irritates the group behind, due to a slow pace of play.
[/quote]

Only if they are not golfers. If they are golfers, they understand that is part of the game. If they are not golfers, do you really care what they think? Play the game the way it is intended...

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='kevcarter ' post='1940029' date='Sep 8 2009, 08:09 PM'][quote name='Crazie.eddie' post='1939996' date='Sep 8 2009, 06:57 PM'][quote name='boo radley' post='1939926' date='Sep 8 2009, 06:26 PM'][quote name='tjy355' post='1939677' date='Sep 8 2009, 04:48 PM']....

[/quote]

[/quote]

Only if they are not golfers. If they are golfers, they understand that is part of the game. If they are not golfers, do you really care what they think? Play the game the way it is intended...

Kevin
[/quote]

Yeah - and if the universal gravitational constant would drop 15% I'd be considered a trim guy.

In the meantime the group behind you is going to be irritated.

I mostly "play by the rules". But there has to be a reason. I am not going to make a bunch of golfers wait while I head back to the tee without a reason.

If there is some form of serious competition going on, that is a reason. Playing a round where the result is my own score and maybe $15 bet with my buddy isn't a reason. You can legally post a score and settle a bet in other ways.

There are many different views on this and there are tradeoffs to be made - that is how I would do it.

dave

ps. IMHO, assuming the folks that have views different from you to "not be golfers" is pretty presumptive. I can imagine others taking a similar view of folks with (clearly) no consideration of the impact of their action on others on the course. Of course they "aren't golfers" so this doesn't matter, I guess.

[quote name='DaveLeeNC' post='1940116' date='Sep 8 2009, 07:57 PM'][quote name='kevcarter ' post='1940029' date='Sep 8 2009, 08:09 PM'][quote name='Crazie.eddie' post='1939996' date='Sep 8 2009, 06:57 PM'][quote name='boo radley' post='1939926' date='Sep 8 2009, 06:26 PM'][quote name='tjy355' post='1939677' date='Sep 8 2009, 04:48 PM']....

[/quote]

[/quote]

Kevin
[/quote]

Yeah - and if the universal gravitational constant would drop 15% I'd be considered a trim guy.

I mostly "play by the rules". But there has to be a reason. I am not going to make a bunch of golfers wait while I head back to the tee without a reason.

If there is some form of serious competition going on, that is a reason. Playing a round where the result is my own score and maybe $15 bet with my buddy isn't a reason. You can legally post a score and settle a bet in other ways.

There are many different views on this and there are tradeoffs to be made - that is how I would do it.

dave

ps. IMHO, assuming the folks that have views different from you to "not be golfers" is pretty presumptive. I can imagine others taking a similar view of folks with (clearly) no consideration of the impact of their action on others on the course. Of course they "aren't golfers" so this doesn't matter, I guess.
[/quote]

If you are playing by the rules of the game, you are in the right. I think I can "presume" that without argument? What game do you play, and why would you attack me on the premise that I don't have the right to follow the rules?

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='kevcarter ' post='1940029' date='Sep 8 2009, 07:09 PM']Only if they are not golfers. If they are golfers, they understand that is part of the game. If they are not golfers, do you really care what they think? Play the game the way it is intended...

Kevin[/quote]

Kev, for what it's worth, I agree with you. :good: Take the walk and play it by the Rules. If the group playing behind doesn't understand, too bad...

I'm not saying the group behind may not understand, I'm saying they may get irritated. How would you feel playing a round with a nice pace of play, then all of a sudden, you see one or more people on the group ahead walking back towards your tee box, and hitting a provisional shot(s). We, as golfers, should know the rules. But we should also know reasonable pace of play and should and should be considerate of others. I often make small bets with others in my group, but they would understand why I would not take a provisional if there are people behind already on the tee box, waiting for us to clear. I would usually only take a provisional if I'm already at the tee box or if there is no or there is a slow group behind. IMO, unless you are playing in a tourny or for a large amount of money, be reasonable when wanting to take a provisional.

That is actually something I did not know. I was under the presumption that the provisional was to prevent you from having to go back to the tee box, and the situation described in the OP would be perfectly acceptable to play the provisional. I'll do some looking, but could someone possibly provide a link to the ruling or decision that states this?

yes, this is news to me. It is good to know the rules.

In this instance, the whole process probably took a good 10-15 minutes from the time he hit is first 2 tee shots to the time he was in the fairway with his third and they surely fell behind the pace of play. were they subsequently put on the clock? if so, how is that fair? and if not, how is that fair? seems like a double edge sword.

[quote name='Crazie.eddie' post='1940410' date='Sep 8 2009, 10:04 PM']I'm not saying the group behind may not understand, I'm saying they may get irritated. How would you feel playing a round with a nice pace of play, then all of a sudden, you see one or more people on the group ahead walking back towards your tee box, and hitting a provisional shot(s). We, as golfers, should know the rules. But we should also know reasonable pace of play and should and should be considerate of others. I often make small bets with others in my group, but they would understand why I would not take a provisional if there are people behind already on the tee box, waiting for us to clear. I would usually only take a provisional if I'm already at the tee box or if there is no or there is a slow group behind. IMO, unless you are playing in a tourny or for a large amount of money, be reasonable when wanting to take a provisional.[/quote]

I understand your point, but if you are playing by the Rules, you aren't going back to the tee to play a "provisional ball." Unfortunately, many people do not understand what the true meaning of a "provisional ball" is, and they think it just means to "[i]tee up another one so you don't have to come back and hit another ball[/i]." That may work for you and help to speed along play, but it is not how the game is to be played if you are going by the Rules.

In my view, this is similar to the guys who hit a ball "Out of Bounds" and then go up and drop a ball near where the first one went out. Sure it speeds up play, but it's not correct according to the Rules.

The game is to be played according to the Rules. Ignorance of the Rules or disagreement with them is not an acceptable reason to violate them. But, each day we get many opportunities to choose the path we go down, some choose to abide by the rules, others don't... it's your decision.

Best regards.

[quote name='lebanontngolfer' post='1940447' date='Sep 8 2009, 10:24 PM'][quote name='Crazie.eddie' post='1940410' date='Sep 8 2009, 10:04 PM']I'm not saying the group behind may not understand, I'm saying they may get irritated. How would you feel playing a round with a nice pace of play, then all of a sudden, you see one or more people on the group ahead walking back towards your tee box, and hitting a provisional shot(s). We, as golfers, should know the rules. But we should also know reasonable pace of play and should and should be considerate of others. I often make small bets with others in my group, but they would understand why I would not take a provisional if there are people behind already on the tee box, waiting for us to clear. I would usually only take a provisional if I'm already at the tee box or if there is no or there is a slow group behind. IMO, unless you are playing in a tourny or for a large amount of money, be reasonable when wanting to take a provisional.[/quote]

I understand your point, but if you are playing by the Rules, you aren't going back to the tee to play a "provisional ball." Unfortunately, many people do not understand what the true meaning of a "provisional ball" is, and they think it just means to "[i]tee up another one so you don't have to come back and hit another ball[/i]." That may work for you and help to speed along play, but it is not how the game is to be played if you are going by the Rules.

In my view, this is similar to the guys who hit a ball "Out of Bounds" and then go up and drop a ball near where the first one went out. Sure it speeds up play, but it's not correct according to the Rules.

The game is to be played according to the Rules. Ignorance of the Rules or disagreement with them is not an acceptable reason to violate them. But, each day we get many opportunities to choose the path we go down, some choose to abide by the rules, others don't... it's your decision.

Best regards.
[/quote]

Excellent post!

:drinks:

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='bigred90gt' post='1940415' date='Sep 9 2009, 12:06 PM']That is actually something I did not know. I was under the presumption that the provisional was to prevent you from having to go back to the tee box, and the situation described in the OP would be perfectly acceptable to play the provisional. I'll do some looking, but could someone possibly provide a link to the ruling or decision that states this?[/quote]

It's Rule 27-2 c: Provisional Ball

c. When Provisional Ball to Be Abandoned

If the original ball is neither [url="http://www.usga.org/bookrule.aspx?id=14253#LostBall"][i]lost[/i][/url] nor [url="http://www.usga.org/bookrule.aspx?id=14253#OutofBounds"][i]out of bounds[/i][/url], the player must abandon the [url="http://www.usga.org/bookrule.aspx?id=14253#ProvisionalBall"][i]provisional ball[/i][/url] and continue playing the original ball. If he makes any further [url="http://www.usga.org/bookrule.aspx?id=14253#Stroke"][i]strokes[/i][/url] at the [url="http://www.usga.org/bookrule.aspx?id=14253#ProvisionalBall"][i]provisional ball[/i][/url], he is playing a [url="http://www.usga.org/bookrule.aspx?id=14253#WrongBall"][i]wrong ball[/i][/url] and the provisions of Rule [url="http://www.usga.org/bookrule.aspx?id=14282#15-3"]15-3[/url] apply.

A provisional ball is used ONLY if the original ball is lost or out out bounds. Once you find your original ball, you have to abandon the provisional ball and use your original ball.

Most of the rounds I play are recreational, so if I'm not playing by the rules and I need to bring a new ball into play, I'll drop a ball to speed up play if I've hit no provisional.

Now if I'm playing by the rules, as soon as I make the decision to walk back and bring another ball in play, I'll signal a waiting group to go ahead and hit. As I wait for the group to tee off, I'll tell my playing partners that they could hit their 2nd shots while the following group is chasing down their drives. I first move back to the tee when the following group have teed off and are walking.

As I have to walk back 250 yds. the others have more than enough time to get to their balls and hit through before I'm ready to hit again anyway, and nobody really has too wait for me to do it right.

Paddy did it right...well almost.

you all make excellent points. the last tournament i played in a gentleman had to hit a total of five tee shots. imagine this: first tee shot, hooked left, provisional, look for golf ball, find it out of bounds and unplayable, repeat this four more times. by the time the poor fellow finally got one into play there were three groups on the tee box. oh well, that's golf.

however, i think during a casual round, when the course is jam packed, a little common sense should prevail. hit a provisional and play your 4th shot from the spot of the provisional. a lot of folks on this forum complain about pace of play and since most of us walk not only is it a long and lonely trek back to the tee box it also consumes a lot of time.

just my opinion...

[quote name='kevcarter ' post='1940127' date='Sep 8 2009, 09:00 PM'][quote name='DaveLeeNC' post='1940116' date='Sep 8 2009, 07:57 PM'][quote name='kevcarter ' post='1940029' date='Sep 8 2009, 08:09 PM'][quote name='Crazie.eddie' post='1939996' date='Sep 8 2009, 06:57 PM'][quote name='boo radley' post='1939926' date='Sep 8 2009, 06:26 PM'][quote name='tjy355' post='1939677' date='Sep 8 2009, 04:48 PM']....

[/quote]

[/quote]

Kevin
[/quote]

dave

[/quote]

If you are playing by the rules of the game, you are in the right. I think I can "presume" that without argument? What game do you play, and why would you attack me on the premise that I don't have the right to follow the rules?

Kevin
[/quote]

If you are playing by the rules and heading back to the tee then "you are right".

If you are a hole and a half behind with things stacking up behind you, and you think that the only consideration is the ROG, then you are also inconsiderate. Depending on the circumstances, going back to the tee may still "be proper" (serious competition, you are only holding up a single group and can let them through, you are not playing that slowly, etc).

But I strongly object to the notion that the ROG are the only consideration here.

dave

ps. My wife plays golf rarely. I will hold her to the rules and put you about 5 groups behind us on a crowded course and see what you think.

[quote name='DaveLeeNC' post='1940782' date='Sep 9 2009, 06:20 AM'][quote name='kevcarter ' post='1940127' date='Sep 8 2009, 09:00 PM'][quote name='DaveLeeNC' post='1940116' date='Sep 8 2009, 07:57 PM'][quote name='kevcarter ' post='1940029' date='Sep 8 2009, 08:09 PM'][quote name='Crazie.eddie' post='1939996' date='Sep 8 2009, 06:57 PM'][quote name='boo radley' post='1939926' date='Sep 8 2009, 06:26 PM'][quote name='tjy355' post='1939677' date='Sep 8 2009, 04:48 PM']....

[/quote]

[/quote]

Kevin
[/quote]

dave

[/quote]

Kevin
[/quote]

If you are playing by the rules and heading back to the tee then "you are right".

If you are a hole and a half behind with things stacking up behind you, and you think that the only consideration is the ROG, then you are also inconsiderate. Depending on the circumstances, going back to the tee may still "be proper" (serious competition, you are only holding up a single group and can let them through, you are not playing that slowly, etc).

But I strongly object to the notion that the ROG are the only consideration here.

dave

ps. My wife plays golf rarely. I will hold her to the rules and put you about 5 groups behind us on a crowded course and see what you think.
[/quote]

When did I get 1 1/2 holes behind with everybody stacking up? :lol:

Absolutely, your wife and beginners should just be out there for a good time. I would never force someone to play by the rules of golf, however, I should be allowed to if that's what I prefer. Live and let live... it's not a race!

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='DaveLeeNC' post='1940878' date='Sep 9 2009, 07:54 AM']My only point is that there "are other considerations" and the fact that you acknowledge this should not generate a question of "what game do you play?"

dave

ps. For the record I play "crummy golf" :man_in_love:[/quote]

I don't feel I deserved being called presumptuous. If you are going to dish it out, you better expect it returned in kind.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

This thread has gone off topic with the assertion that following the rules will slow the pace of play. My intent was only to show how the provisional ball rule works / doesn't work IN PRACTICE as seen at this weekend's golf tournament.

Fact is, a return to the tee box by a single golfer to replay a shot should NOT affect the pace of play. Sure, it creates a momentary wait for the following group on the tee box but it should take no time at all to catch back up to their group and rejoin them on the green and continue along as nothing happened.

[quote name='kevcarter ' post='1940029' date='Sep 8 2009, 08:09 PM'][quote name='Crazie.eddie' post='1939996' date='Sep 8 2009, 06:57 PM'][quote name='boo radley' post='1939926' date='Sep 8 2009, 06:26 PM'][quote name='tjy355' post='1939677' date='Sep 8 2009, 04:48 PM']....

[/quote]

[/quote]

Kevin
[/quote]
+1 Kevin! As always a good reply to a good question, if you are going to play golf then play it the way it is intended, if not take up another sport! if you don't play by the rules it is NOT golf, you can give it your own name if you like.

[quote name='sburdeau' post='1940951' date='Sep 9 2009, 08:44 AM']Good Topic - and the rule is clear for lost ball or ob - what is the rule if ball might be in a hazard - lateral or otherwise - can you hit a provisional in this case - or must you walk up and see if the ball is in the hazard or unplaybale from the hazard?[/quote]

See post #14 above for the text to Rule 27-2a, but no you cannot play a provisional for a ball that went in a hazard.

[b]Driver:[/b] TaylorMade Tour Issue M3 8.9*, Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.2 Tour Spec X
[b]3 Wood:[/b] Taylormade R15 15*, Fujikura Motore F1X
[b]Hybrid:[/b] TaylorMade M1 19*, Fujikura Speeder Evo 82H X
[b]Irons:[/b] Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW , Tour Issue TT DG X100
[b]Wedges:[/b] Yururi Gekku Raw 49*, 53* & 57* Nippon NS Pro Modus3 130X
[b]Putter: [/b]Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

Here's what I love.

Course is jam packed on a weekend.

Average Joe knocks one 280 into the woods. Anxious to play by the rules, he tees up a provisional, and that one, too, goes into the woods, but not as deep so he thinks he can find it....A few minutes later, here he is with his playing partners searching for his first ball. Can't find it. Now he has to search for his *provisional ball*.

(on the tee, the group behind is waiting).

Joe does find his provisional, but as he's getting ready to hit it, his original ball is found. He trudges back deep into the woods, examines the lie, determines two club lengths ain't going to do it, and, dropping on a line with the pin won't be helpful -- though, since he's never played this course, before, he wastes more time walking around, looking at this possible option.

Now there are TWO groups on the tee waiting. Joe has to walk all the way back, and tee up in front of two irritated four-somes, because he's got no reasonable alternative, thanks to The Rules? What do you think his chances of THIS tee-shot being solid, are?

Let's count:
time to hit 2 tee shots
time to find 2 balls (which might not be close together)
time to assess the lie and drop options
time to walk back up the fairway
<repeat as necessary>

That's awful punishing on everyone, fact.

I mostly understand the ROG, and attempt (mostly) to abide by them. I will say both those statements are false in the case of 99.5% of anyone I've ever played with in a recreational, or even somewhat competitive -- eg, 'weekly league' -- setting. There is no other sport I can think of in which The Rules are so badly out of sync with the participants, period. Of course the USGA/R&A will NEVER admit this.

Good Topic - and the rule is clear for lost ball or ob - what is the rule if ball might be in a hazard - lateral or otherwise - can you hit a provisional in this case - or must you walk up and see if the ball is in the hazard or unplaybale from the hazard?

See post #14 above for the text to Rule 27-2a, but no you cannot play a provisional for a ball that went in a hazard.

Not true.

You may certainly play a provisional ball if you're not certain if the ball went into a hazard, even if it's likely. The original poster asked "what if the ball might be in a hazard...."?

See USGA Rules/Decisions:

27-2a/2.2 Possibility That Original Ball Is in Water Hazard May Not Preclude Play of Provisional Ball5e6357ca-4421-4dab-a626-4a0fc8b9062c.gif

Q. If a player's original ball may have come to rest in a water hazard, is he precluded from playing a provisional ball?

A. No. Even though the original ball may be in a water hazard, the player is entitled to play a provisional ball if the original ball might also be lost outside the water hazard or out of bounds. In such a case, if the original ball is found in the water hazard, the provisional ball must be abandoned — Rule 27-2c (Formerly 27-2c/1)

Good Topic - and the rule is clear for lost ball or ob - what is the rule if ball might be in a hazard - lateral or otherwise - can you hit a provisional in this case - or must you walk up and see if the ball is in the hazard or unplaybale from the hazard?

Not true.

You may certainly play a provisional ball if you're not certain if the ball went into a hazard, even if it's likely. The original poster asked "what if the ball might be in a hazard...."?

See USGA Rules/Decisions:

27-2a/2.2 Possibility That Original Ball Is in Water Hazard May Not Preclude Play of Provisional Ball5e6357ca-4421-4dab-a626-4a0fc8b9062c.gif

Q. If a player's original ball may have come to rest in a water hazard, is he precluded from playing a provisional ball?

A. No. Even though the original ball may be in a water hazard, the player is entitled to play a provisional ball if the original ball might also be lost outside the water hazard or out of bounds. In such a case, if the original ball is found in the water hazard, the provisional ball must be abandoned — Rule 27-2c (Formerly 27-2c/1)

Yes, I missed the "might" in the question. That word changes the answer significantly.

[b]Driver:[/b] TaylorMade Tour Issue M3 8.9*, Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.2 Tour Spec X
[b]3 Wood:[/b] Taylormade R15 15*, Fujikura Motore F1X
[b]Hybrid:[/b] TaylorMade M1 19*, Fujikura Speeder Evo 82H X
[b]Irons:[/b] Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW , Tour Issue TT DG X100
[b]Wedges:[/b] Yururi Gekku Raw 49*, 53* & 57* Nippon NS Pro Modus3 130X
[b]Putter: [/b]Scotty Cameron Futura 6M