2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Callaway 2010 Pictures

[quote name='jwfgolfpro' post='2030839' date='Oct 28 2009, 10:18 AM'][quote name='ebbowron' post='2029723' date='Oct 27 2009, 06:02 PM']wouldnt it make sense then to release the FT Tour as a 440 CC players club, and the FT-9 TA 420 CC as the tour authentic club the players are playing, like they did with the X-prototypes? Its just really aggravating if Callaway is not going to release the FT-9 TA 420 CC. That is the one I want, and it seems Im going to have to pay an astronomical price for it somewhere on the bay or off a tour van because Im not a pro, so I cant get it though Callaway.[/quote]

They are both 443cc and they are the same exact heads but they updated the sole plate cosmetics on the Ft-Tour. No other difference :clapping:

JWF
[/quote]
positive??

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='teezoid' post='2030997' date='Oct 28 2009, 11:35 AM']I am truly very interested in the FT-Tour driver, but.... not really sure it is something I can or will be able to hit???
For any of you out there that has any demo or range time, can you further elaborate on the playing characteristics of the driver?
FYI, my ss is around 102 now. Being a "senior" player now... I do not have the ss I used to have and I want to make sure this is something I can actually get airborne.
Normally, I would play a 9.5* driver with a stiff shaft. How do you think this driver would play in that set up?

I just ordered this driver from my local pro. I may have to re-think my order????

Thanks,
Mike[/quote]

Mike, I've hit this and it wasn't for me. I have a SS of 100-106 with a quick transition. I only hit a 9.5 with Voodoo shaft (which I don't like) but I couldn't hit it high enough and there was way to low spin. My guess is that unless you swing >110 and produce a lot of spin on the driver its not for you. I would definitely cancel the order and change to the Diablo Tour driver!

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S 

Callaway AI Smoke Max Project X Denali Black 70S 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Cleveland CBX4 50, 56, 60 KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 Wedges

TaylorMade Spider Tour Z Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

[quote name='kekoa' post='2034702' date='Oct 30 2009, 01:34 AM'][quote name='jwfgolfpro' post='2030839' date='Oct 28 2009, 10:18 AM'][quote name='ebbowron' post='2029723' date='Oct 27 2009, 06:02 PM']wouldnt it make sense then to release the FT Tour as a 440 CC players club, and the FT-9 TA 420 CC as the tour authentic club the players are playing, like they did with the X-prototypes? Its just really aggravating if Callaway is not going to release the FT-9 TA 420 CC. That is the one I want, and it seems Im going to have to pay an astronomical price for it somewhere on the bay or off a tour van because Im not a pro, so I cant get it though Callaway.[/quote]

They are both 443cc and they are the same exact heads but they updated the sole plate cosmetics on the Ft-Tour. No other difference :clapping:

JWF
[/quote]
positive??
[/quote]

Positive. That what I was told in some meetings at Callaway last week. I also saw the two heads in person and they look identical at address.

JWF

ALL Taylormade :)

[quote name='TourBound4Sure' post='2034148' date='Oct 29 2009, 07:28 PM']Omg I've been a Ft-5 and now a FT-9 8.5 tour player and I'm slowly getting disapointed in their line ups every year that passes. 2010 I'm gonna start to abandon them completley if they keep this up.[/quote]

This is the best line up that we have had in years. Have you seen or hit any of the new stuff?

JWF

[quote name='jwfgolfpro' post='2034822' date='Oct 30 2009, 08:22 AM'][quote name='TourBound4Sure' post='2034148' date='Oct 29 2009, 07:28 PM']Omg I've been a Ft-5 and now a FT-9 8.5 tour player and I'm slowly getting disapointed in their line ups every year that passes. 2010 I'm gonna start to abandon them completley if they keep this up.[/quote]

[b]This is the best line up that we have had in years.[/b] Have you seen or hit any of the new stuff?

JWF
[/quote]

Agreed. This is the best variety of drivers they have ever made imo. Got to finally handle the new stuff and it looks great and hits great. The FT Tour is a line drive machine. I agree you have to have the swing speed though. But if you dont.....they have three other selections to choose..actually 4. You have the IZ, Diablo Edge regular or tour, and the FT9.

Low Spin Head. My SS is around 108-110. I was finding it difficult to keep the 9.5 in the air, switched to the 10.5 and had a little better results. I then went to the Diablo Edge Tour and WOW. Much better flight. I hit rockets with it....so thats what I went with. I wanted the FT to fit me and I did ordered one also but the EDGE was a much better fit.

JWF
[/quote]

JWF - couple questions for you.

1. Does the FT tour or Diablo Edge Tour come with a choice of Draw or Neutral weighting?

2. Can you compare the spin & launch of the FT Tour & Diablo Edge Tour versus the FT Tour? I have a similar swing as you and a smooth swing & transition.

I just tested an FT Tour 9.5 stiff at my local golf shop and I was getting a launch between 9 & 10 with sping between 3000 and 3200. They didn't have a 10.5 which I really need.

I have an 8.5 SuperQuad TP with a Diamana Blueboard 73s x5ct and I find it to launch great for me. Mid-flight with good hang time, no ballooning.

However, I'm interested in the new FT Tour driver and I hit the ball on the upswing. Are people complaining about not being able to get the ball in the air because they aren't hitting it on the upswing?

The only reason I ask is because it's hard to take advice on clubs from people I haven't actually seen swing. Hitting the ball on the upswing is a very particular part of getting the ball airborne efficiently, yet there are a lot of people who don't do it and complain about the driver underperforming.

Also, what if I were to install a shaft that has a lower kickpoint (promotes higher ball flight) and combined that with my typical 8.5 loft. Or should I keep my shaft above and go with 9.5 or possibly a 10.5. What are the differences in spin with those 2 setups?

I've never strayed from my 8.5 loft. 9.5 is the max for me, it's like the ball is instantly in the clouds.

[quote name='ZBigStick' post='1949592' date='Sep 14 2009, 11:05 AM']Cool thanks!

FT Tour!!! :wub:

Still not feeling the Diablo line up but probably not directed at me anyhow. :diablo:

What is the difference between the two Edge drivers, they look the same, perhaps Draw and Neutral versions.[/quote]

the Diablo Tour has a traditional barrel hosel and looks like a Titleist driver at address. it is the most beautiful thing second to the FT Tour in the new line-up.

Instagram account

Titleist TSi4 8.25* / Fujikura Ventus Black TR 7-X
TaylorMade Aero Burner TP 15° / Matrix White Tie 70-X
Taylormade SIM UDI 2i / Diamana THUMP 100X

Taylormade P770 3i (at 22°) / Project X LS 6.5 

Taylormade P7MC 5-7, P7MB 8, 9 / Project X LS 6.5 

Taylormade P7MB P / DG S400

Taylormade MG3 50° (at 52°) / DG S400

Taylormade MG3 TW 56° and 60° / DG S400

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH 34"

Low Spin Head. My SS is around 108-110. I was finding it difficult to keep the 9.5 in the air, switched to the 10.5 and had a little better results. I then went to the Diablo Edge Tour and WOW. Much better flight. I hit rockets with it....so thats what I went with. I wanted the FT to fit me and I did ordered one also but the EDGE was a much better fit.

JWF
[/quote]

JWF - couple questions for you.

1. Does the FT tour or Diablo Edge Tour come with a choice of Draw or Neutral weighting?

2. Can you compare the spin & launch of the FT Tour & Diablo Edge Tour versus the FT Tour? I have a similar swing as you and a smooth swing & transition.

I just tested an FT Tour 9.5 stiff at my local golf shop and I was getting a launch between 9 & 10 with sping between 3000 and 3200. They didn't have a 10.5 which I really need.
[/quote]

Ryan,

1. Neither the FT-Tour or Diablo Edge will be offered with any internal weighting options...only the FT-9

2. I didn't get launch numbers but there was a noticeable difference in the trajectory. The FT-Tour just dropped out of the air a little soon for me. Almost a knuckle ball. The Diablo Edge Tour STAYED in the air but with a boring trajectory. No ballooning.

Hope this helps

JWF

[quote name='teezoid' post='2039681' date='Nov 1 2009, 09:10 PM']Does anyone know what the shaft options may be for the FT Tour and for the Diablo Edge Tour? While I do have my heart set on the FT Tour, maybe there is a shaft and loft option that better fits my 100 mph SS??? Any suggestions out there???

Thanks[/quote]

So did I..I wanted to love the FT TOUR driver...couldn't hit it..went with the Blueboard 73 Stiff for my driver shaft with a 10.5 degree head..love it!

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S 

Callaway AI Smoke Max Project X Denali Black 70S 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Cleveland CBX4 50, 56, 60 KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 Wedges

TaylorMade Spider Tour Z Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

[quote name='odshot68' post='2039889' date='Nov 1 2009, 10:52 PM'][quote name='teezoid' post='2039681' date='Nov 1 2009, 09:10 PM']Does anyone know what the shaft options may be for the FT Tour and for the Diablo Edge Tour? While I do have my heart set on the FT Tour, maybe there is a shaft and loft option that better fits my 100 mph SS??? Any suggestions out there???

Thanks[/quote]

So did I..I wanted to love the FT TOUR driver...couldn't hit it..went with the Blueboard 73 Stiff for my driver shaft with a 10.5 degree head..love it!
[/quote]

The VooDoo is the stock, but my rep just told me that these shafts will be available for N/C:

[color="#000000"]Matrix Ozik XCON 5
[/color][size=2][color="#000000"][color="#000000"]Matrix Ozik XCON 6[/color]
[/color][/size][color="#000000"][size=2][color="#000000"]Grafalloy AXIS
Fujikura ZCOM SIX

Also, the Motore F1 Shaft is now available in both regular and i-Mix! 65 gram Stiff and 75 gram Extra Stiff only...

Also on a side note, they are releasing a 50, 54 and 64 degree Jaws wedge early next year...

Robb[/color][/size][/color]

ftiz driver seems to be an upgraded ftiq model, the ft tour looks to be the ft9 tour authentic driver pros are using(has hosel and missing bottom weight pad). The diablo irons look to be an awful ugly looking set they just through out there. The diablo drivers look decent, a minor improvement, one looking to be a tour version of the other. The wedges look nice though but only come in very high bounce angles and alot of offset.

I got to test all the new Callaway line today and I can honestly say that everything is an improvement over previous year's lineups.

ITz - Very odd shape, think titleist D1. I couldn't get used to something this odd looking but it is incredibly easy to hit and gets the ball in the air no problem. Seems like a great game improvement driver.

FT9 Tour - Very good looking club with a traditional shape and clean lines. Im a natural left to right guy so the open face was not helping me out. I can say that when this thing hits the ground it GOES! I am guessing that this is a very low spin head like the FT3.

Diablo Edge Tour - WOW, what an improvement over the old diablo crap. This thing looks a lot like the FT9 Tour. Very clean shape and deep face. It would be a toss up between the FT Tour and Diablo Edge Tour for me.

Diablo Edge Tour FW - Again, WOW. What an immprovement over any of the recent callaway FWs. This thing was great off the ground or the tee. Nice penetrating ball flight and great workability.

Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid - If you dont mind the look, this club performs great. Very shallow club face makes the ball get up quick but does not really balloon. I hit this thing out of the rough and the ball came right out no matter the lie. A 18 degree would be a great club in my opinion.

Diablo Edge Hybrid - Again, if you dont mind the look, this club is very easy to hit. Gets the ball up and lands it soft. Compare to previous offerings from Callaway, this hybrid is 100% better. Looks a little like the PING i hybrids.

JAWS Wedges - Honestly, I was slightly disappointed with the new wedges as my current callaways are the best wedges I have ever owned. I was expecting big things from Roger Cleveland. These new wedges just look a little cheap to me. The shape on the back of the head and the red and black ferrul are just to busy. I will say that the new grinds look nice and probably offer a ton of playability.

Milled Seris Putters - I was really excited to see these things and roll some putts. With the new ball and no insert it felt like rolling rocks. I think this has more to do with the new ball than these great looking putters. With a decent ball these could be great gamers. The only problem i had is tha the sight lines are etched on, not grooved and painted. They are not bright enough for me.

Iz Golf Ball - I played nine holes with the new ball yesterday and it reminded me a lot of the old HX golf ball. Every wedge shot would have had me taking a ball out of play in a tournament situation. When I got done playing (36 with two missed greens) the ball looked like I had been hitting trees and cart paths. Why cant Callaway make a solid tour ball that lasts more than one good wedge shot?

PGA Assistant Golf Professional
Timuquana Country Club
Team Titleist Staff Member

[quote name='Cally4life' post='2051596' date='Nov 7 2009, 05:52 PM']from your experience of hitting the new equipment and what you saw, how would you rate the diablo forged irons and the diablo edge irons?? Are the edge a GI iron as well as diablo forged?? Any info anyone has on these 2 sets would be greatly appreciated (personal info, not advertisement info)[/quote]

The Diablo Edge is like the old BIG Bertha...very GI.
The Diablo Edge Tour is....for lack of a better comparison.... a larger X-22 Tour with a little more offset than the X-22 Tour. Softer feel and at least a club difference in distance...LONGER.
I really liked them and I played the X-22 Tours last season.

JMHO

JWF

[quote name='Cally4life' post='2051596' date='Nov 7 2009, 06:52 PM']from your experience of hitting the new equipment and what you saw, how would you rate the diablo forged irons and the diablo edge irons?? Are the edge a GI iron as well as diablo forged?? Any info anyone has on these 2 sets would be greatly appreciated (personal info, not advertisement info)[/quote]

Did not get a chance to hit the Diablo Iron but I did hit the Edge Forged and while the irons did not look as good as I had hoped, they hit very well and felt great. They are just a rebadged Callaway Legacy from the JDM.

PGA Assistant Golf Professional
Timuquana Country Club
Team Titleist Staff Member

Concerning the Diablo forged irons, my three regular golf rivals have been playing these clubs for 6 months- I live in France. They're a rebadged Legacy and superbly finished - personally I'm not a big fan of the silver and red plate stuck on the back but the forged part is superb. they''re a bit bigger than the X22 Tour but a hell of a lot longer due to lofts- 6 iron is 28 degrees (and maybe the carpenter steel face!?). I'm still not sure of the logic of have a forged "body" and a steel face....distance' durability? They are not as soft as I expected but have a satisying crisp feel to them probably due to the aforementioned Carpenter steel face. The stock steel shaft is also a classy NS Pro offering, basically they're a really good iron.

The Tour looks sick, but I'm also interested in the Specs on the Ft-IZ. Is that replacing the IQ? Also, there must be other new irons slated for release. I'm not a fan of the diablo stuff at all. I hit most of them and thought the set up of the woods was terrible. The nuetral versions even seem to set up closed, I suppose this might be fixed in the new versions. Lastly, any pix of the new FT fairway woods?

I am new to this forum, and this is my very first post. I found the forum after searching for whether Callaway has introduced irons that will comply with the 2010 groove rules. I'll get to that in a minute, but I wanted to introduce myself first:

I am a scratch-+2 golfer from NC. I have been a devoted Callaway guy for about 5 years now and was first turned on by the X-Tour irons, which they no longer make. I have been relatively happy with their product releases over the last few years, with the exception of the iron category. I feel like they need a "blade" that is more readily available at the retail level than the Prototypes are. However, I love my new FT-9 Tour Driver, and I've never found fairway woods that I like more than the Diablo series. Although they don't have a very traditional look, the playability is like nothing I've ever hit.

2 Questions for the forum:

1) Are any of the Callaway irons available with 2010-conforming grooves? I am particularly interested to know if the new Diablo EDGE irons or the Prototype blades will be available in conforming models.

2) Does anyone know if the Odyssey is planning on releasing to the public the Mickelson Blade Putter (White Hot PM Blade) that he used to win the Tour Championship and the HSBC? I haven't been able to find anything online that suggests so. Just as they were late in capitalizing on the #9 after he won the '06 Masters with it, it really surprises me that they would not be more opportunistic on this front, given the widespread popularity of Phil. Likewise, it surprises me that they have not made available the "Black" finish on the XG #9 that many tour pros use (Phil, Ryo Ishikawa, formerly Rory Sabatini).

Any answers to these questions would be much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Tengu' post='1949586' date='Sep 14 2009, 03:02 PM']Those black wedges look like they got stealth technology ; /
Like that modern look though. Do they still have MD - Grooves?[/quote]

i believe there a 3 or 4 different lofts being released in 2009 that have md-grooves as amateures can still use them until 2024 but there are some lofts being released in 2010 with the v-grooves