2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

New Look for Tiger's Ball in 2010!!!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='racingdc9' post='1978060' date='Sep 29 2009, 08:37 AM']I currently use the TM TP LDP black ball and the Prov1x, which nike would be comparable to those two balls?[/quote]

Well, the Black LDP is a higher spinning ball compared to the Prov1x. Both of the balls you are using arent that similiar. It would be closer if you were using a Red LDP and a Prov1x.

If you're looking for more distance and less spin, the One Tour D (comparable to Prov1x) is what you're looking for. The One Tour is like the Prov1.

[quote name='bjdrivers' post='1966666' date='Sep 22 2009, 08:47 PM'][quote name='TitlePured' post='1965031' date='Sep 22 2009, 12:14 AM'][quote name='allyjs' post='1964160' date='Sep 21 2009, 03:42 PM']Titlepured i was talking about Nike needing Tiger in the golf industry not anything else. I'm not stupid you know, i do realise Nike was around long before Tiger Woods. What i'm saying is that without Tiger where would Nike be in golf?. Do you think people will want to use the same clubs Lucas Glover does or Paul Casey?. If he left Nike their sales would nosedive and they would be right up there with the Slazengers and Rams of the world. If Tiger thought a 909 D3 or R9 would help him hit more fairways then i'm sure he would use them.[/quote]

The point is, play Mizuno or Titleist, it's what these players used before they signed multi million dollar contracts to wear a logo. It's still what the best amateurs play.
[/quote]

+1. Tiger played a mix of MP-29 & MP-14s as an amatuer, then played the Titleist 681s when he turned pro. I read somewhere he had Titleist model that iron after the MP-29. We all know if contracts didn't exist, Tiger would still be bagging Mizuno blades to this day.
[/quote]

Your logic is flawed..... He played Ping Eye 2's for a longer portion of his amatuer career so in theory he would still be playing those no? And I have played the MP 29s and gamed the 681's for a few years... They are nothing alike other than there both a blade.

Tiger would be playing what he does today. Custom clubs made to his spec.

I dont think there is any question at to why tiger plays Nike, its obviously the money because when he first went to nike they had one guy...David Duval, so obviously he had no idea what kind of clubs they had so obviously we went there because of money... Also tiger basically makes his own clubs...He wasnt even happy with the VR blades which he "so called made himself" he went back to the drawing board and had something else made up for him. Tiger played Mizuno irons all throughout college and for his first couple years on the tour including his first win at Augusta in 1997. it took titleist a year and a half to make irons that he was happy with enough to switch from mizuno to titleist... Mizuno in fact dominated the PGA tour for years until the day of sponsoring started. I feel like if Mizuno tried harder to get people to use thier clubs that much more than Luke Donald would use their clubs, taylormade is just a marketing genious and draws people in with their incredible drivers and woods and well titleist has been making good products for many years and have stuck with alot of people form childhood to pros. Nike is just getting started, now a days so many people make good clubs that if u blind tested them i dont think that anyone would be able to tell that much of a difference..i think mizuno and titleist would barely set themselves apart and the others would only be slightly behind! thats just my two cents on it all

Nike taking credit for the clubs Tiger plays is kind of laughable. First of all Tiger gets his stuff made for him...wouldn't matter if he was on staff with Powerbilt they would build him any prototype that he wanted. He uses a set of blades and wedges that every OEM in the world could replicate. Woods are different and as we've seen he hasn't been successful with any driver and hes been very good with the handful of 3 woods hes had in play since the 970-Ignite-SQII...all been very good to him. What is stupid about Nike is the product (woods) they put out to the consumer is pure junk...you have to bend over backwards to get any kind of decent shaft in their retail wood lineup.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='jazzyjey' post='1978172' date='Sep 29 2009, 11:41 AM'][quote name='racingdc9' post='1978060' date='Sep 29 2009, 08:37 AM']I currently use the TM TP LDP black ball and the Prov1x, which nike would be comparable to those two balls?[/quote]

Well, the Black LDP is a higher spinning ball compared to the Prov1x. Both of the balls you are using arent that similiar. It would be closer if you were using a Red LDP and a Prov1x.

If you're looking for more distance and less spin, the One Tour D (comparable to Prov1x) is what you're looking for. The One Tour is like the Prov1.
[/quote]

Yeah, the Prov1x did seem to go a little further. Tour D it is then, thanks..

[quote name='Dizzub' post='1978525' date='Sep 29 2009, 03:04 PM']Nike taking credit for the clubs Tiger plays is kind of laughable. First of all Tiger gets his stuff made for him...wouldn't matter if he was on staff with Powerbilt they would build him any prototype that he wanted. He uses a set of blades and wedges that every OEM in the world could replicate. Woods are different and as we've seen he hasn't been successful with any driver and hes been very good with the handful of 3 woods hes had in play since the 970-Ignite-SQII...all been very good to him. What is stupid about Nike is the product (woods) they put out to the consumer is pure junk...you have to bend over backwards to get any kind of decent shaft in their retail wood lineup.[/quote]

Very enlightening to say the least....but can you prove any of this? :rolleyes:

[quote name='Mustng5' post='1978636' date='Sep 29 2009, 05:17 PM'][quote name='Dizzub' post='1978525' date='Sep 29 2009, 03:04 PM']Nike taking credit for the clubs Tiger plays is kind of laughable. First of all Tiger gets his stuff made for him...wouldn't matter if he was on staff with Powerbilt they would build him any prototype that he wanted. He uses a set of blades and wedges that every OEM in the world could replicate. Woods are different and as we've seen he hasn't been successful with any driver and hes been very good with the handful of 3 woods hes had in play since the 970-Ignite-SQII...all been very good to him. What is stupid about Nike is the product (woods) they put out to the consumer is pure junk...you have to bend over backwards to get any kind of decent shaft in their retail wood lineup.[/quote]

Very enlightening to say the least....but can you prove any of this? :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Which part of it? Hes won and been successful with every set of irons hes ever played...which have all been a muscle back blade since the Eye2's very early as an amateur. Any OEM that has the money to pay Tiger would most certainly make clubs that he is comfortable with...a blade is a blade there is no new technology. Do you think that if he still used Titleist or Mizuno irons that he would not be where he is today? As far as the rest of his equipment, still not available to the public which includes tour SQII fairways, a 380cc Dymo and a ball that is NOT available at retail. Hell, even his set of irons are not available at retail. Anybody that has Tiger on staff is going to produce equipment for him to use...Titleist did it with the 681T as well.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='TitlePured' post='1965031' date='Sep 22 2009, 12:14 AM']Tiger won't be around forever... Now that Jordan is gone, is Nike still selling basketball shoes? Yep, more than anyone else. That is mostly the work of Nike, with a little help from the athlete.[/quote]

You do realize that their most popular basketball shoes are called "Jordans", right?????

[quote name='enka3ball55' post='1979170' date='Sep 29 2009, 09:48 PM']"Jordan" is actually its own company now and doesnt really associate with Nike as much as it used too...Nike no longer owns "Jordan" just thought i would clarify that for the post above..who knows maybe Tiger will do the same thing one day and have his own brand of irons![/quote]

NOT TRUE. Jordan makes its own descisions but is still owned by NIKE. From the SoleCollectors website blogs: Nike rules…good media hype though.[b][u] Nike owns brand Jordan[/u][/b], yada yada, do the math.......Nike owns Cons… Wade going from Cons to [b]JORDAN BRAND[/b] is just jumping to [b][u]another company owned by Nike. [/u][/b] I am member there too nd the guys there are as knowledgeable about shoes and everything shoes as we are about golf. so i go with them. JORDAN has final say in all designs that bear his name JUST LIKE TW.

[quote name='golfsll' post='1979275' date='Sep 29 2009, 10:42 PM'][quote name='enka3ball55' post='1979170' date='Sep 29 2009, 09:48 PM']"Jordan" is actually its own company now and doesnt really associate with Nike as much as it used too...Nike no longer owns "Jordan" just thought i would clarify that for the post above..who knows maybe Tiger will do the same thing one day and have his own brand of irons![/quote]

NOT TRUE. Jordan makes its own descisions but is still owned by NIKE. From the SoleCollectors website blogs: Nike rules…good media hype though.[b][u] Nike owns brand Jordan[/u][/b], yada yada, do the math.......Nike owns Cons… Wade going from Cons to [b]JORDAN BRAND[/b] is just jumping to [b][u]another company owned by Nike. [/u][/b]I am member there too nd the guys there are as knowledgeable about shoes and everything shoes as we are about golf. so i go with them. JORDAN has final say in all designs that bear his name JUST LIKE TW.
[/quote]
just a little extra on the NIKE /JORDAN BRAND.....from Yahoo! finance...
[b]NBA scoring champion Dwyane Wade leaving Converse, going to Nike's Jordan Brand [/b]
[list]<LI class=byline>By Tim Reynolds, AP Sports Writer
[*]On Friday July 17, 2009, 11:02 am EDT
[/list]

[quote name='k1t0r5' post='1978816' date='Sep 29 2009, 06:45 PM'][quote name='TitlePured' post='1965031' date='Sep 22 2009, 12:14 AM']Tiger won't be around forever... Now that Jordan is gone, is Nike still selling basketball shoes? Yep, more than anyone else. That is mostly the work of Nike, with a little help from the athlete.[/quote]

You do realize that their most popular basketball shoes are called "Jordans", right?????
[/quote]

You're unfortunately missing the point. Basketball fans are no longer following Jordan, he is no longer in the lime-light... and Nike is still just as dominant in selling the "NIKE Brand" shoes (I'm not referring to the 'Jordan Brand'). "Lebron's" are doing quite well for them!!!

Taylormade 320 driver

SYB-714 5-wood

GEOM Moe odds

GEOM 57/ 13

Kirkland ball

Halflight Golf Bag

[quote name='pobonner' post='1965027' date='Sep 22 2009, 01:09 AM']I am not certain of the equiptment restrictions in his contract but I am sure we all remember that he used a Titleist 3 wood for the longest time. [b]Also not sure but I think pro v 1 too[/b]. We have all heard that in his contract he can use other equipment if he feels it is better. Who knows for sure? IMO Tigers deal with Nike was strictly business. I think that if Taylormade or Titleist would have offered him that kind of money we would not be having this discussion, but then Taylormades staffer line up might be the size of Nikes due surely budget restrictions from corparate Nike. I think they played there hand very well to snag Tiger so he could bring Nike golf to the front of the pack and I think it worked. IMO[/quote]

Tiger never used the Pro V1. The Pro V came out [i]after[/i][b][/b] the Nike Tour Accuracy ball that he completed the "Tiger Slam" with. And for those talking Tiger and equipment..... I thought I had heard that Tiger's Nike contract was for clothes....not equipment. he uses their equipment because it was made specifically to suit his tastes. His Nike contract, which is about 40 mil a year, ran concurrent with his Titleist contract in the 90's. When Nike got to a point that they wanted to enter the club market Tiger agreed to play their stuff only if it was made to his liking. That is (I am assuming here) why the original blades, which were a more user-friendly version of the irons he actually played, were very similar to the Mizuno/Titleist irons he had used in the past.

I do not like replying to most of these type of threads as almost no one has the accurate information, including myself, a self proclaimed fan of the Nike brand for as long as I can remember as well as TW. The information I am sure is pretty close but the exacts are a corporate trade most will ever get light of. Here is my theory, I am sure Tiger knows his pull with Nike and when they decided to get into the hardlines market he basically wanted a share of the company along with what he currently gets annually. If I remember correctly from a year or so ago, Nike-golf accounted for nearly 1/3 of Nikes net revenue which is a nice chunk! So I could easily see why TW will most likely never leave the Nike brand as most conspiracy theorist believe on here. But hey what do I know?

[quote name='H.A. Kerr' post='1958876' date='Sep 18 2009, 01:10 PM'][quote name='AUGolfer32' post='1958817' date='Sep 18 2009, 10:37 AM']You dont really believe that do you? They have more staff guys than most companies.[/quote]

TaylorMade's TOUR staff: ............................................ Nike Golf's PGA TOUR staff:
[attachment=467779:tm.jpg] [attachment=467780:ng.jpg]

I tired to count on Titleist's equipment players page, but my finger got a cramp from scrolling.

Ping listed 16 guys and Callaway lists 12. These guys seem more in line with the Nike staffing. Except for the part about having guys that win a lot.
[/quote]

You're forgetting Tiger counts for at least 50.

Alright....I'll add a few things here.

1. Tiger's contract is a percentage of sales. Every piece of Nike hardgoods and softgoods he makes a percentage off of. Therefore it's EXTREMELY advantageous for him to play Nike equipment. I'm not sure if he has an exact number of required clubs (I don't believe he does.)

2. All of his clubs are slightly different than the retail offerings, but this is true of EVERY major club maker. They all have tour issued clubs that have their little differences.

3. With that said, I believe Nike has the biggest gap between their tour and retail clubs. The two Tour drivers they released to retail were HEADS and SHOULDERS above their standard retail offerings. Just this year Nike has made solid strides to put out some solid equipment that suits to the better player. The VR Blades and VR wedges are fantastic, there's no denying that.

4. The Dymo 380 never made light to retail, it also would have been MUCH better than the standard Dymo offerings. The VR Tour is on it's way though, and is a 400cc players driver with custom shaft offerings that rival Titleist and Ping. You have to give it to Nike, they are making the moves to be competitive.

5. Tiger did not have a new set of irons made when he ditched the VRs. He went back to the irons he won the 2008 U.S. Open with. He said it was because he was simply more comfortable with them.

6. Tiger plays a Nike One Tour with a softer cover. This is not at all uncommon for players to play balls that are slightly different than retail. Every major manufacturer has balls out there that differ slightly from the retail offerings. If you don't believe me, go to the USGA website and look at the conforming ball list. You'll see 20+ Pro Vs. There are two in your Pro shop.

Tiger's ball isn't made out of unobtanium or any other super material. If Nike had a ball that was that much better than their retail offering, they'd be selling it. Tiger likes a VERY soft ball, so Nike takes their softest ball and adds a softer cover. Simple.

Moral of all this - Every player on tour gets their clubs hand made to their specs. The OEMs are at their will, and that comes with the territory.

In the last 5 years many OEMs have done a great job of offering Tour lines that are almost identical to the exact clubs our favorite players play. Nike is catching up in this regard. 2010 will be the closest they've been. But in the end, you'll never be able to play carbon copies of the pros clubs, because their clubs are all tweaked to their specs (their ball is too). Their specs aren't your specs, so the OEMs don't sell their specs to you.

98% of the golfing world doesn't know that Tiger's One Tour isn't their One Tour. If they did play his One Tour, they'd complain how short it was off the driver and go back to their ProV1

• 4 weeks later...

Nike pays there tour players depending on the contract they sign.. its true that some contracts say if there is a better club out there play it, but this only applies to a few players.i.e(tiger woods)...Anthony Kim has a 12 club contract with Nike which means obviously that at any given time there must 12 nike clubs in the bag...the two he doesnt use are a 1 iron hybrid from adams and his putter which is a camron button back.. everyone else pretty much 13 or 14 club contracts..

Why is there always so much effing pissing and moaning in the Nike threads? As a user of their equipment, I tend to frequent the Nike-centric threads and I have to filter through so much BS that I feel like I crossed a cow pasture to get to the milk. Reading some peoples rationalization of Nike is like hearing somebody who got rich from an inheritance complain about someone who got rich from the lottery. This is main reason I rarely post or even visit forums any longer.

this may have been said and is on topic so im sure its wrong cant bring myself to read all these worthless posts..... tigers new ball: 1. has red logos not black, #2 is only commited to using for 4 events #3 the 15 ball pack is a regular dozen with 3 extra red logos outside #4 he is giving all of his ball revenue to charity about 10 mil through this program... so in closing you all need to stop tiger hating nike hating and stay in the confines of the thread

WOW... as the original poster of this thread, I am amaze how off topic this got and apologize to those of you are upset by that! I was simply trying to pass on some inside info that I got from my rep! I will close this if it has not been closed already!

Glad I could stir up a good debate!!

My 2 cents:

1. Nike equipment (from a retail p.o.v) is getting better and better. The quality of their irons and balls are quite good now and rival any of the other big names. (Personally I think their retail woods still have a bit to go, but some people obviously like them). Unfortunately they water down a lot of their products (shoes, bags, putters, etc...) so the quality lacks in some areas.

2. Most Pros don't play what you can buy off the rack. Not to mention almost all of them play the equipment because they're paid to do so. So using the pros to justify/refute an argument about the quality of a company's product is silly.

3. IMO, Nike, like TaylorMade and Callaway, is trying to be the biggest name in golf, not necessarily the best. Conversely, I think Ping and Titleist are trying to become the best name in golf. I think the two are in many ways mutually exclusive. You become the biggest by selling the most, and you sell the most by having a large variety of products at a wide variety of price points. It's hard to have a perception of high quality when you sell low budget items as well. Titleist and Ping, however, limit their sales outlets and product lines so that (the perception of) their quality remains very high.

4. To get back to the OP's intention, I WANT PICS OF THE NEW BALL TOO!!!! (SORRY to OP for further hijacking this thread).