2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

New Look for Tiger's Ball in 2010!!!

[quote name='swanry30' post='1959826' date='Sep 18 2009, 10:11 PM'][quote name='J13' post='1959688' date='Sep 18 2009, 06:41 PM']To think tiger signs with nike and nike doesn't hold him to a club agreement is just wrong. They pay him he plays their equipment, wears the clothes. Nike is new in the golf world, they have made leaps and bounds in the 9 years they've been around. Like I said in another thread nike is going after the younger market and in 10 years they will be a top dog.[/quote]

they maybe going after the younger crowd but their new equipment is crazy good. irons are amazing. one of the best blades on the market. the split cavity set is so underrated. wedges spin like crazy. ball is unbelievable. their target market - GOLFERS in general need to quit looking at the stamping on their clubs and give NIKE a run. the never ending my equipment company is better than yours continues.

[b]BTW - NIKE THANK YOU! the economy sucks a$$ and you just lowered the price on golf balls. THANK YOU FOR LOOKING AFTER THE SMALL GUY. i will remember this gesture and give you a fair shake when it comes to HOing my hard earned money![/b][/quote]

Ditto

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to try the Nike ONE tour, bought a dozen online off ebay for $27 shipped... I LOVE these balls!!!! Although due to the fact i am a poor student I am gonna look into the TM TP red/black due to walmart selling them for like 30 bucks or something crazy like that. Graduating in december, hopefully getting a job then its Nike ONE forever. Tried ProV1 & V1x and just couldnt fall in love with them... plus the marketing come onnnn... i am their target market... grew up with the swagger that comes along with the swoosh... and i buy in like a sheep :)

[quote name='H.A. Kerr' post='1959657' date='Sep 18 2009, 08:23 PM'][quote name='TitlePured' post='1959617' date='Sep 18 2009, 06:07 PM']I'm sure he has his favorite club maker forge his clubs and stamp Nike on them.[/quote]

So should I take this blind, unfounded speculation of yours with more or less credibility than you just gave to those purporting to know how Nike writes up contracts? Sorry just a bit confused.

For the record, you're both wrong.
[/quote]

I was clearly stating my opinion with that, not fact. I never claimed it was fact. I obviously made it clear that we don't know exactly where Tiger's clubs come from, that was my guess. Do you know where Tiger's clubs are made and who makes them? I was only noting that others DID STATE that Nike allows there staffers to play whatever they want. I was questioning the fact that anyone has actually seen or read one of these contracts in question. And for the record, you should back up what you say instead of stating that everyone is wrong. If you are so wise, shed some insight.

Taylormade 320 driver

SYB-714 5-wood

GEOM Moe odds

GEOM 57/ 13

Kirkland ball

Halflight Golf Bag

[quote name='TitlePured' post='1959973' date='Sep 18 2009, 10:24 PM']Do you know where Tiger's clubs are made and who makes them?[/quote]
In Forth Worth, Texas. A man named Mike Taylor does the grinding on Tiger's clubs. Been there. Met the guys. Seen Tiger's, and other pro's clubs, at various steps from raw forgings to polished, finished pieces.

I will admit I jumped on you for stating facts, when you were indeed stating an opinion. Apologies. But it's a very common "opinion" that is quite incorrect.

[quote name='H.A. Kerr' post='1959980' date='Sep 19 2009, 12:34 AM'][quote name='TitlePured' post='1959973' date='Sep 18 2009, 10:24 PM']Do you know where Tiger's clubs are made and who makes them?[/quote]
In Forth Worth, Texas. A man named Mike Taylor does the grinding on Tiger's clubs. Been there. Met the guys. Seen Tiger's, and other pro's clubs, at various steps from raw forgings to polished, finished pieces.

I will admit I jumped on you for stating facts, when you were indeed stating an opinion. Apologies. But it's a very common "opinion" that is quite incorrect.
[/quote]

Since you know this, is it true that Tiger likes the Mizuno's, and has his Nike's fashioned after them?
I love Nike, but IMO, Mizuno makes the best looking and feeling club there is.

[quote name='J13' post='1958889' date='Sep 18 2009, 02:17 PM']good news as the nike one tour D ball is the best I've ever played. The titleist pro v1x and also the callaway tour ix didn't hold a candle to it. I found a nike one ball on the course and played with it and out the window went the titleist and callaway.[/quote]

Do you remember where you threw them out? I will go look for them! :crazy:

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

[quote name='joekelli' post='1960074' date='Sep 19 2009, 05:35 AM'][quote name='J13' post='1958889' date='Sep 18 2009, 02:17 PM']good news as the nike one tour D ball is the best I've ever played. The titleist pro v1x and also the callaway tour ix didn't hold a candle to it. I found a nike one ball on the course and played with it and out the window went the titleist and callaway.[/quote]

[/quote]

haha sorry but I managed to use them all up. Actually if you want some of them are on hole number 6 at my club, at the bottom of the pond, lol.

As for Nike, their irons are great, balls are great, clothes are great, drivers (up to this point) not so great. My point about marketing is that nike knows no matter what some of the older generation won't except them. But with them going after the young studs of the game they are capturing all of the future players and when they grow up they are going to be playing nike all the way around.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[quote name='crippler1784' post='1958625' date='Sep 18 2009, 12:15 PM']I don't know if this has been posted yet or not but I just heard from my Nike Rep in Minneapolis that Tiger is changing up the look of his golf balls for 2010. He is changing the lettering and the swoosh to a New Victory Red paint scheme.

To top that, Nike has decided that starting in 2010, the Nike One Tour and Tour D Golf Balls will be sold in 15 ball packs at a lower price (than the current) and will include 4 sleeves with the traditional black swoosh and 1 sleeve containing balls with the new Red Swoosh!

Pretty Solid Deal from Our friends at Nike!![/quote]

I have played many Nike balls and they are my second favorite ball mfg behind Titleist.
Nike's problem is this.

1.) They have the #1 player in the world using their ball, and this player is on TV more than any other player 100 fold and everyone knows he uses a NIKE ball.

2.) Their staff players won two majors this year.

3.) They have had an incredible deal on their two tour balls all summer where you can get two dozen for $60.

4.) The shelf, pile, display of Nike Tour Balls do not move.

And................ProV1's are sometimes out of stock at their ridiculous $46 price.

Titleist Tsr2 9*

TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5*

PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 16*

PXG 0317X Gen 4 20.5*

Ping i210 5-P (26*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*

Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

[quote name='J13' post='1958889' date='Sep 18 2009, 02:17 PM']good news as the nike one tour D ball is the best I've ever played. The titleist pro v1x and also the callaway tour ix didn't hold a candle to it. I found a nike one ball on the course and played with it and out the window went the titleist and callaway.[/quote]

Yup, add another vote for the Tour D - best ball i've ever played :bb:

One Tour for me! I have ALWAYS played Titleist until this year. Earlier this year I tried the Bridgestone B330-S and didn't really like it that much. I tried the Nike One Platinum 2 years ago and hated it. With my experience with the platinum it took some convincing for me to try the One Tour. I tried it and have never looked back. Spins as much if not more than ProV and is more durable.

Also tried the Nike Split Cavities this year (first Nike clubs I ever tried) and fell in love.

Tiger Woods will use ANY equipment he wants to, with or without Nikes permission. The man has majors to win, records to be broken and history to be made. He could easily buy himself out of the Nike contract and go with someone else if thats what it would take to keep on winning. The fact is, much to the annoyance of lots of people, Nike makes some seriously good equipment. Thats why Tiger has stuck with them. Nike need Tiger more than he needs them. I will definately consider them when my Ping becu's wear out.

It would be interesting to hear though what equipment from other company's Tiger has tested and what he rates.

[quote name='bambooluv' post='1959830' date='Sep 18 2009, 10:14 PM'][quote name='swanry30' post='1959826' date='Sep 18 2009, 10:11 PM'][quote name='J13' post='1959688' date='Sep 18 2009, 06:41 PM']To think tiger signs with nike and nike doesn't hold him to a club agreement is just wrong. They pay him he plays their equipment, wears the clothes. Nike is new in the golf world, they have made leaps and bounds in the 9 years they've been around. Like I said in another thread nike is going after the younger market and in 10 years they will be a top dog.[/quote]

they maybe going after the younger crowd but their new equipment is crazy good. irons are amazing. one of the best blades on the market. the split cavity set is so underrated. wedges spin like crazy. ball is unbelievable. their target market - GOLFERS in general need to quit looking at the stamping on their clubs and give NIKE a run. the never ending my equipment company is better than yours continues.

[b]BTW - NIKE THANK YOU! the economy sucks a$$ and you just lowered the price on golf balls. THANK YOU FOR LOOKING AFTER THE SMALL GUY. i will remember this gesture and give you a fair shake when it comes to HOing my hard earned money![/b][/quote]

Ditto
[/quote]
They lowered the price because their off-course market share is lower than it has been in years. In other words, without being able to bribe the club pros with payments into his retirement account, and just having the balls on the shelf next to ALL the other options, their ball is chosen less than Titleist, Callaway Taylor Made, Srixon AND Bridgestone. They aren't looking out for you. They just can't sell any balls.

[quote name='smackygolf' post='1963061' date='Sep 20 2009, 09:32 PM'][quote name='bambooluv' post='1959830' date='Sep 18 2009, 10:14 PM'][quote name='swanry30' post='1959826' date='Sep 18 2009, 10:11 PM'][quote name='J13' post='1959688' date='Sep 18 2009, 06:41 PM']To think tiger signs with nike and nike doesn't hold him to a club agreement is just wrong. They pay him he plays their equipment, wears the clothes. Nike is new in the golf world, they have made leaps and bounds in the 9 years they've been around. Like I said in another thread nike is going after the younger market and in 10 years they will be a top dog.[/quote]

Ditto
[/quote]
They lowered the price because their off-course market share is lower than it has been in years. In other words, without being able to bribe the club pros with payments into his retirement account, and just having the balls on the shelf next to ALL the other options, their ball is chosen less than Titleist, Callaway Taylor Made, Srixon AND Bridgestone. They aren't looking out for you. They just can't sell any balls.
[/quote]

DON'T CARE if there intention was to help me or not - THEY ARE! my favorite ball, now going to be cheaper...!

[quote name='smackygolf' post='1963061' date='Sep 21 2009, 12:32 AM'][quote name='bambooluv' post='1959830' date='Sep 18 2009, 10:14 PM'][quote name='swanry30' post='1959826' date='Sep 18 2009, 10:11 PM'][quote name='J13' post='1959688' date='Sep 18 2009, 06:41 PM']To think tiger signs with nike and nike doesn't hold him to a club agreement is just wrong. They pay him he plays their equipment, wears the clothes. Nike is new in the golf world, they have made leaps and bounds in the 9 years they've been around. Like I said in another thread nike is going after the younger market and in 10 years they will be a top dog.[/quote]

Ditto
[/quote]
[/quote]

Have to agree here. Usually whats good for the the customer isn't good for the company.

Like when every other joe shmo comes in my pro shop and wants me to lower prices. If we were any lower we couldnt function, but if we went lower the same guys who always come in here would love us.......that is for a bit. Point being this isnt a good thing for Nike right now. Looks like they are trying to unload some merch.

[quote name='allyjs' post='1963004' date='Sep 20 2009, 10:49 PM']Tiger Woods will use ANY equipment he wants to, with or without Nikes permission. The man has majors to win, records to be broken and history to be made. He could easily buy himself out of the Nike contract and go with someone else if thats what it would take to keep on winning. The fact is, much to the annoyance of lots of people, Nike makes some seriously good equipment. Thats why Tiger has stuck with them. Nike need Tiger more than he needs them. I will definately consider them when my Ping becu's wear out.

It would be interesting to hear though what equipment from other company's Tiger has tested and what he rates.[/quote]

Wow, even though Tiger fans and even golf fans would like to think this... Tiger would not have half of his money and fame without Monster sponsorships from companies like Nike and Buick, At&t, etc. Tiger would be the greatest golfer, not the greatest athlete without these sponsors. Nike needs Tiger? I don't think so... Tiger is huge, yes. But by NO stretch of the imagination has Tiger made Nike and Nike has never needed any particular athlete. Nike is the huge engine behind the worlds most recognizable athletes. Read any number of books about Nike and you will know what I mean. Of course Tiger could make a living without Nike, but Nike is Tigers single biggest income source by far. That paycheck doesn't even put a dent in Nike's multi-billion dollar corporation. And NO, Tiger cannot play whatever he wants... he is locked into certain equipment guidelines.

Taylormade 320 driver

SYB-714 5-wood

GEOM Moe odds

GEOM 57/ 13

Kirkland ball

Halflight Golf Bag

When golfsmith had their 15% off labor day sale I bought 4 dozen Nike One Tours for $25 a box. You can't beat the best tour ball I've ever played for $25 a dozen.

I've got 4.5 dozen at home right now, and if Nike has them cheap next year, I'll continue to buy them. Buttery soft spin machines that don't give up too much distance off the tee.

Titlepured i was talking about Nike needing Tiger in the golf industry not anything else. I'm not stupid you know, i do realise Nike was around long before Tiger Woods. What i'm saying is that without Tiger where would Nike be in golf?. Do you think people will want to use the same clubs Lucas Glover does or Paul Casey?. If he left Nike their sales would nosedive and they would be right up there with the Slazengers and Rams of the world. If Tiger thought a 909 D3 or R9 would help him hit more fairways then i'm sure he would use them.

[quote name='J13' post='1960208' date='Sep 19 2009, 08:22 AM'][quote name='joekelli' post='1960074' date='Sep 19 2009, 05:35 AM'][quote name='J13' post='1958889' date='Sep 18 2009, 02:17 PM']good news as the nike one tour D ball is the best I've ever played. The titleist pro v1x and also the callaway tour ix didn't hold a candle to it. I found a nike one ball on the course and played with it and out the window went the titleist and callaway.[/quote]

[/quote]

haha sorry but I managed to use them all up. Actually if you want some of them are on hole number 6 at my club, at the bottom of the pond, lol.

[b]As for Nike, their irons are great, balls are great, clothes are great, drivers (up to this point) not so great. My point about marketing is that nike knows no matter what some of the older generation won't except them. But with them going after the young studs of the game they are capturing all of the future players and when they grow up they are going to be playing nike all the way around.[/b]
[/quote]

Rome was not built in a day.

This thread is super entertaining to read and I agree with Allyjs. Tiger Woods has made nike golf what it is today. Without him they would be nowhere near the level they are. His feedback and involvement has also made the equipment what it is. And also saying that Nike is the giant it is corporately would help them have the best R&D, engineers, etc. Their equipment is just as good as anyone elses!

I agree with some of the other posters that without Tiger Nike Golf would be no where near where they are today. At this point they have some of the best clothes, and shoes in the game. I think that a lot of people have a predisposition against Nike, includign myself, but after trying their balls and new offerings they are getting better and better. I think the new VR blades are some of the best forgings I have hit in a while. Not saying I am ready to buy a set, but I am intrigued by the new VR drivers. I will actually try them this time before I disregard them. :rolleyes:

Driver. RBZ Tour TP 9 Kaili 70x
Three Wood: RBZ Tour TP 14.5 RIP Beta 70
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 19 Kuro Kage
Irons: TaylorMade 2014 CB 4,5, MC 6-PW
Putter: Odyssey Protype Black #9
Wedges: Vokey 53/10 and 59/7

I agree nike golf would be nowhere without tiger, but tiget would also be not nearly as big were it not for Nike. The marketing dollars they spent on him, branding him, turning him into another icon. Nike took tiger, and his fabulous performance and turned him into a legend. No other company would have been able to do this, none of the "golf" companies the old timers love and swear by would have been able to deliver tiger to the market and make the popularity of golf explode. Adidas/TM would be the next closest, but adidas brand does not have near the power of the swoosh. Nike has perfected the art of taking atheletes and making them legends.

I know what you are trying to say shaneomac but Tiger would have become a legend without Nike. The same applies for other Nike athletes. Yes they have been marketed brilliantly but at the end of the day its their ABILITY that makes them legends. They are the ones who put the ball in the hole or shoot the hoops (being scottish i know nothing about basketball!!).

Nobody remembers what clubs Nicklaus, Watson etc used nor do we probably care. We look at the record books and see their achievments. The same will happen with Woods. The next generation wont care about his Nike deal and the fact he put them where they are in the golf world. They will know about his achievments and that he wore a red shirt on the last day of a tournament. By this time Nike will, in all honesty be the major golf manufacturer in the world due to the marketing that is happening right now.

Imagine if Titliest or Ping (he played eye 2 for years) or someone else gave him the deal Nike did all those years ago. We would be looking at them having total domination of golf equipment today and Nike would be nowhwhere. This thread kind of got jacked a bit eh!.

I am not certain of the equiptment restrictions in his contract but I am sure we all remember that he used a Titleist 3 wood for the longest time. Also not sure but I think pro v 1 too. We have all heard that in his contract he can use other equipment if he feels it is better. Who knows for sure? IMO Tigers deal with Nike was strictly business. I think that if Taylormade or Titleist would have offered him that kind of money we would not be having this discussion, but then Taylormades staffer line up might be the size of Nikes due surely budget restrictions from corparate Nike. I think they played there hand very well to snag Tiger so he could bring Nike golf to the front of the pack and I think it worked. IMO

[quote name='allyjs' post='1964160' date='Sep 21 2009, 03:42 PM']Titlepured i was talking about Nike needing Tiger in the golf industry not anything else. I'm not stupid you know, i do realise Nike was around long before Tiger Woods. What i'm saying is that without Tiger where would Nike be in golf?. Do you think people will want to use the same clubs Lucas Glover does or Paul Casey?. If he left Nike their sales would nosedive and they would be right up there with the Slazengers and Rams of the world. If Tiger thought a 909 D3 or R9 would help him hit more fairways then i'm sure he would use them.[/quote]

I believe you said Tiger could buy out his own Nike contract and play whatever he wants, well he wouldn't have much money left. Nike IS Tiger's marketing machine. Nike needed Tiger to validate their entrance into the elite. Now that Tiger has been with them for so long, I think they need each other. Tiger would lose some of his world wide fame, possible even seem on the downswing of his career if he left the largest sporting company in the world. Nike would just market the next young guy (Anthony Kim) and see where it goes. They might even buy the next best guy like Harrington or Phil. But we all know that Tiger and Nike will live happily ever after. And if Tiger thinks his equipment is sub-par (which he has complained in the past) he will just tell Nike that he doesn't like it and they will make him something else... this has nothing to do with the quality of equipment that they sell us. If Tiger wants a driver that is similar to a D3, they will make him one similar to a D3. Don't think for a second that Nike would be ok with Tiger putting whatever equipment in his bag, it better have a swoosh on it. The debate is over the equipment that me and you can buy, and Tiger's Nike stuff is nothing like ours.

Tiger won't be around forever... Now that Jordan is gone, is Nike still selling basketball shoes? Yep, more than anyone else. That is mostly the work of Nike, with a little help from the athlete.

The point is, play Mizuno or Titleist, it's what these players used before they signed multi million dollar contracts to wear a logo. It's still what the best amateurs play.

Taylormade 320 driver

SYB-714 5-wood

GEOM Moe odds

GEOM 57/ 13

Kirkland ball

Halflight Golf Bag

Some of you guys are so naive! The Nike machine was running long before Tiger. He is just one cog in the engine. Stop thinking just about golf and broaden your sports scope. Think about all of the other sports. Basketball, Soccer, Baseball and Track are all global sports. Not to mention Football! That machine was started the same way they got into golf. MONEY! Phil was peddling track shoes out of the back of his car giving them to anyone that would wear them for free. Then the Swoosh started paying AAU, college basketball coaches and anyone else of influence to be on their "staff." The Nike Grassroots director at the time was Sonny Vaccaro. He just happened to run all of the elite basketball camps at the same time. He would steer the best players at the time to the Nike sponsored schools. "Magically" these Nike schools became some of the best of their generation. And wha la, Nike moved to the front of the pack! Then Jordan came along and the rest is history. And now all of the rest of the sports companies are playing catch up. And they are doing anything they can do to gain marketshare. Look at all of your local youth sports leagues and you will see the key to success. Get the kids in your brand as early as possible(no matter the cost) and you will be the King!

The Nike machine will always be rolling. No matter how much it disgusts me! Read the book Sole Influence. It will give you some of the story you do not want to hear.