2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

My dad needs more distance

My dad is now 60 and had shoulder surgery 5 years ago - he has fully recovered and his game is as good as ever however - he just lacks distance on his drives - when he gets ahold of one he will hit it about 210. it just kills me to see him not be able to hit the ball very far any more and i know he would find a renewed enjoyment in the game if he could get 30-40 more yards.

so my question is this - are there non conforming drivers or anything like that people use to get more distance. i dont see why he would nee a conforming club as he does not play tourneys. he has switched to regular shafts quite a while ago but not sure if he has been fitted for ball and driver etc. i know that would give him more distance but not 30 yards...right?

any help or advice would be great because i would love to help him out.

tyler

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy him a voucher for a driver session on a launch monitor as a gift. It is an interesting experience in itself and he will find out what he needs to optimise his driver.

By the way you need to be realistic; it is unlikely that equipment will add 30 yards. Also the latest drivers offer the same or better performance than the high cor drivers from a few years ago.

[quote name='MrMojoRisen' post='1996907' date='Oct 9 2009, 04:48 PM']My dad is now 60 and had shoulder surgery 5 years ago - he has fully recovered and his game is as good as ever however - he just lacks distance on his drives - when he gets ahold of one he will hit it about 210. it just kills me to see him not be able to hit the ball very far any more and i know he would find a renewed enjoyment in the game if he could get 30-40 more yards.

tyler[/quote]

What ball is he using? I'm 54 and was using Bridgestone RX balls and only getting 220 yards off the tee. I swithched to Srixon Ad333 balls and am consistently getting 240-250 yards. Of course with your Dad their could be other circumstances but a different ball may get him more yards, immediatley.

LMAO its age bro nothing you can do about getting older but die. I am loosing distance faster than OBama is spending money

I like your Dad am sixty my swingspeed is now high eigthtys to low ninetys a few years ago it was 105

At its peak 117 I once placed third in the National Long Drive qualifying in Iowa

You cant beat age my friend but its ok I have come to learn its just not really my turn anymore

Your Dad I am sure understands that we just like to b**** about it

Now what was that ball that guy said he picked up twenty yds with. :russian_roulette:

I am 65 and I was in the same situation as your father - in regard to loss of distance.

Two things have hepled me get back that distance:

1. Purchasing the 07 Taylor Made Burner driver in regular flex with 50 gram shaft

2. Started taking the driver very slow in the back swing and then accelerating on
the downswing. This may sound very simple, but it has improved my driving by
as much as 15-20 yards and extremely straight.

I am not saying that this will work for everyone - but even though I am hitting from senior tee, I have my distance back to stay up with the younger guys. Golf is fun again.

Note: The 07 Burners can be purchased via the internet new for $120.

Hope this helps.

Brent

[quote name='Swingtheclub ' post='2000046' date='Oct 11 2009, 05:06 PM']Now what was that ball that guy said he picked up twenty yds with. :russian_roulette:[/quote]

As I mentioned in my reply... it was the Srixon Ad333. Have three guys in my foursome as proof. Also, I mentioned that I picked up twenty yards OVER the Bridgestone RX ball. Not any other ball, just the Bridgestone.

[quote name='Buddyjay' post='2001050' date='Oct 12 2009, 05:43 AM'][quote name='Swingtheclub ' post='2000046' date='Oct 11 2009, 05:06 PM']Now what was that ball that guy said he picked up twenty yds with. :russian_roulette:[/quote]

As I mentioned in my reply... it was the Srixon Ad333. Have three guys in my foursome as proof. Also, I mentioned that I picked up twenty yards OVER the Bridgestone RX ball. Not any other ball, just the Bridgestone.
[/quote]

Buddy I was not questioning you I was being sarcastic as I said after saying I have learned to live with the distance loss I will run out and buy those balls.

Sorry if some how you took offense.

[quote name='Swingtheclub ' post='2001512' date='Oct 12 2009, 12:02 PM'][quote name='Buddyjay' post='2001050' date='Oct 12 2009, 05:43 AM'][quote name='Swingtheclub ' post='2000046' date='Oct 11 2009, 05:06 PM']Now what was that ball that guy said he picked up twenty yds with. :russian_roulette:[/quote]

[/quote]

Buddy I was not questioning you I was being sarcastic as I said after saying I have learned to live with the distance loss I will run out and buy those balls.

Sorry if some how you took offense.
[/quote]

No problem, thanks.

Hi,
Three words, core strength and flexibility. Here are some easy exercises I found on the net. Once you breeze through these, challenge yourself with more difficult ones.
Do the work over the winter. Come spring, 20 yards guaranteed!

(1) Knee Raises (for lower back flexibility). Lie on your back with your legs extended, and then bring your left knee toward your chest and grasp it. Pull the left knee as close to your chest as pain permits, and hold for about 10 to 15 seconds, letting your hamstrings, bum, and lower back muscles 'unkink'. Then, return to the starting position and perform the same sequence with your right leg. Return to the starting position to complete one rep; complete 10 reps overall.

(2) Back Rounders (for lower back flexibility). Lie on your back with your legs extended and your arms at your sides. Draw both of your knees toward your chest. Then, grasp your knees underneath your thighs and raise your head from the floor. In a relaxed and smooth manner, bring your head and knees as close together as pain and flexibility permit, and hold this position for five to 10 seconds. Return to the starting position, relax, and repeat for a total of 10 times.

(3) The Pelvic Press (for strengthening the low back). To carry out this exercise, simply lie on your back with your arms at your sides - or with your hands behind your head. Then, tighten the muscles of the stomach and buttocks, pressing the small of your back to the floor. Hold the small of your back on the floor for about 12 seconds, return to the starting position, and relax for a few seconds. Perform this cycle 12 times, rest for a moment, and then follow up with 12 more 'presses'.

(4) The Double-Knee Lift (for better coordination and flexibility, as well as improved core strength). Lie on your back with your knees bent and the soles of your feet on the ground. Then, tighten your stomach muscles and bring your knees slowly and smoothly toward your chest. Next, extend your legs into a straightened position while keeping your heels several inches off the floor. Hold this position for three to five seconds (or for as long as pain permits). Return to the starting position by bringing your knees back toward your chest and then lowering your feet to the floor, and relax for a few seconds. Perform two sets of eight reps of this exercise, stopping the exertion if any pain arises.

(5) Opposite Arm and Leg Lifts (for strength and flexibility). Lie face down on the floor with your legs straight and your arms fully extended, so that they are lying on the floor on either side of your head. Then, raise your right arm and left leg as high off the floor as possible, and hold the position for about 12 seconds. Lower your right arm and left leg back to the floor and relax for a few seconds. Then, raise your left arm and right leg as high off the floor as you can, holding for 12 seconds. Complete one rep by relaxing for a few seconds, and carry out a total of two sets of 10 reps, with a short break between sets.

(6) lower back Extensions (to enhance lower back strength). Lie on your stomach, with your arms by your sides and your hands extended toward your feet, with palms touching the floor. Contract the muscles at the back of your neck, so that you are gazing forward and upward. That's the basic position! A rep is simply a contraction of your lower back muscles, lifting your torso off the ground, followed by a slow easing of your trunk back to the floor. Complete two sets of 12 reps, with a short intervening break.

(7) Hip Circles and Twists (two movements to improve core strength during actions involving rotation of the spine). With your hands on your hips and your feet spread apart somewhat wider than your shoulders, make circles with your hips in a clockwise direction for 12 repetitions. Repeat the circles in a counter-clockwise direction for 12 reps. Then, extend (straighten) your arms so that they are extending straight out on either side of your body (they should be parallel with the floor), and twist your torso and hips to the left, shifting your weight onto your left foot. Then twist your torso to the right while shifting your weight to the right foot. Complete 12 reps on each side, making sure that movement is produced by your core muscles, not by violent thrusts from your shoulders and arms.

(8) Warrior at the Wall (for lower back strength and flexibility, as well as bum strength). Stand tall but relaxed with your feet at hip width; your arms should be hanging at your sides, with palms turned toward your legs. Look straight ahead, facing a blank wall which is about three feet away. As you exhale, bend forward from your hips and extend your arms forward until your fingertips are touching the wall. Adjust yourself so that your legs are perpendicular to the floor and your arms and upper body are absolutely parallel with the ground. As you inhale, raise your left leg backward and up until it is parallel with the ground. Hold your left leg up for about eight breaths, and then repeat with the opposite leg. Repeat several times with each leg.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='teaz01' post='2004136' date='Oct 13 2009, 03:04 PM']Hi,
Three words, core strength and flexibility. Here are some easy exercises I found on the net. Once you breeze through these, challenge yourself with more difficult ones.
Do the work over the winter. Come spring, 20 yards guaranteed!

(1) Knee Raises (for lower back flexibility). Lie on your back with your legs extended, and then bring your left knee toward your chest and grasp it. Pull the left knee as close to your chest as pain permits, and hold for about 10 to 15 seconds, letting your hamstrings, bum, and lower back muscles 'unkink'. Then, return to the starting position and perform the same sequence with your right leg. Return to the starting position to complete one rep; complete 10 reps overall.

(2) Back Rounders (for lower back flexibility). Lie on your back with your legs extended and your arms at your sides. Draw both of your knees toward your chest. Then, grasp your knees underneath your thighs and raise your head from the floor. In a relaxed and smooth manner, bring your head and knees as close together as pain and flexibility permit, and hold this position for five to 10 seconds. Return to the starting position, relax, and repeat for a total of 10 times.

(3) The Pelvic Press (for strengthening the low back). To carry out this exercise, simply lie on your back with your arms at your sides - or with your hands behind your head. Then, tighten the muscles of the stomach and buttocks, pressing the small of your back to the floor. Hold the small of your back on the floor for about 12 seconds, return to the starting position, and relax for a few seconds. Perform this cycle 12 times, rest for a moment, and then follow up with 12 more 'presses'.

(4) The Double-Knee Lift (for better coordination and flexibility, as well as improved core strength). Lie on your back with your knees bent and the soles of your feet on the ground. Then, tighten your stomach muscles and bring your knees slowly and smoothly toward your chest. Next, extend your legs into a straightened position while keeping your heels several inches off the floor. Hold this position for three to five seconds (or for as long as pain permits). Return to the starting position by bringing your knees back toward your chest and then lowering your feet to the floor, and relax for a few seconds. Perform two sets of eight reps of this exercise, stopping the exertion if any pain arises.

(5) Opposite Arm and Leg Lifts (for strength and flexibility). Lie face down on the floor with your legs straight and your arms fully extended, so that they are lying on the floor on either side of your head. Then, raise your right arm and left leg as high off the floor as possible, and hold the position for about 12 seconds. Lower your right arm and left leg back to the floor and relax for a few seconds. Then, raise your left arm and right leg as high off the floor as you can, holding for 12 seconds. Complete one rep by relaxing for a few seconds, and carry out a total of two sets of 10 reps, with a short break between sets.

(6) lower back Extensions (to enhance lower back strength). Lie on your stomach, with your arms by your sides and your hands extended toward your feet, with palms touching the floor. Contract the muscles at the back of your neck, so that you are gazing forward and upward. That's the basic position! A rep is simply a contraction of your lower back muscles, lifting your torso off the ground, followed by a slow easing of your trunk back to the floor. Complete two sets of 12 reps, with a short intervening break.

(7) Hip Circles and Twists (two movements to improve core strength during actions involving rotation of the spine). With your hands on your hips and your feet spread apart somewhat wider than your shoulders, make circles with your hips in a clockwise direction for 12 repetitions. Repeat the circles in a counter-clockwise direction for 12 reps. Then, extend (straighten) your arms so that they are extending straight out on either side of your body (they should be parallel with the floor), and twist your torso and hips to the left, shifting your weight onto your left foot. Then twist your torso to the right while shifting your weight to the right foot. Complete 12 reps on each side, making sure that movement is produced by your core muscles, not by violent thrusts from your shoulders and arms.

(8) Warrior at the Wall (for lower back strength and flexibility, as well as bum strength). Stand tall but relaxed with your feet at hip width; your arms should be hanging at your sides, with palms turned toward your legs. Look straight ahead, facing a blank wall which is about three feet away. As you exhale, bend forward from your hips and extend your arms forward until your fingertips are touching the wall. Adjust yourself so that your legs are perpendicular to the floor and your arms and upper body are absolutely parallel with the ground. As you inhale, raise your left leg backward and up until it is parallel with the ground. Hold your left leg up for about eight breaths, and then repeat with the opposite leg. Repeat several times with each leg.[/quote]

Great advice..but I just barely got past #3 and had to take a power nap... :rolleyes:

Most of you seniors must be in much better shape than I am...Hell, after that regiment of exercise, I'd have to take nap, and the rest of the day off. Who'd mow my lawn?

There comes a time and place where equipment and the softening of swing mechanics helps me to achieve better results than a new vitamin and working on core strength. :D

And I agree, what's it all about.. alfie, he's got the right idea.. :ok:

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

[color="#0000FF"]@[font="Comic Sans MS"] 62, I needed more distance......

My swingspeed is 85-89 and my tempo is smooth....I tried and acquired a 569 speeder A flex shaft installed in a 905R...Nice soft R flex
I recently tried, and will switch to the bridgestone e6+ ball...I think I am hitting the ball the best ever...

Hope this helps....... My tee shots average between 228- 235 plus bounce and roll now

I agree about core and flexibility, but from what I see in some friends, a lot of it is just slowing down the backswing and then firing the hips through with a lot of lag. I know several 60ish guys who can do 30 or 40 pushups with ease but only hit the driver 210-220 on average. It is tension and lag that is killing their distance. My 5'8" 82 year old father-in-law hits it 180 to 200 on average. He really relaxes, doesn't try to "power" his swing at all, and uses a 12 degree 460 with a senior flex shaft shortened three inches, not lengthened.

I had one friend spend several hours on the range hitting PW, 7 iron and then driver over and over in that order and only using a 3/4 swing. On every swing I made him pump twice with a super relaxed grip with maximum lag and then fire on the third. In 60 minutes he increased PW 100 to 120 ... 7 iron 125 to 145 ... and driver 210 to 245. He was gripping the club way, way, way too tight and coming out of his lag 1/2 way down instead of directly over the ball. Once he practiced gripping the clubs like they were a baby bird he was able to maintain the lag much deeper into the swing.

Even more than younger guys, older guys must crack the whip as much as possible. The problem is that many of them never learned how to do that and most don't really understand how to practice eliminating tension throughout the body. Using longer shafts is completely counterproductive. What they gain in a slight increase in centrifugal force is more than lost by missing the sweetspot by 3/4 inch. Equipment-wise, a shorter softer shaft and a 460 12 to 14 degree driver head will do much more for most slow swingers than any other combo.

Spoiler

Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 10.5  Velocore Red 6S 45" D3

Rogue ST MAX 5W,7W Velocore  Red 7S 

Srixon MKII ZX4-4, ZX5-5&6, ZX7 7-PW

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

SM8 Raw 52 F-12, 56 V,  & 60 V

L.A.B. ZF3 35" 69* w/2* Pistol Grip

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Pro V1x, Miura Alt bag: 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64 or Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW 

[quote name='MrMojoRisen' post='1996907' date='Oct 9 2009, 01:48 PM']My dad is now 60 and had shoulder surgery 5 years ago - he has fully recovered and his game is as good as ever however - he just lacks distance on his drives - when he gets ahold of one he will hit it about 210. it just kills me to see him not be able to hit the ball very far any more and i know he would find a renewed enjoyment in the game if he could get 30-40 more yards.

so my question is this - are there non conforming drivers or anything like that people use to get more distance. i dont see why he would nee a conforming club as he does not play tourneys. he has switched to regular shafts quite a while ago but not sure if he has been fitted for ball and driver etc. i know that would give him more distance but not 30 yards...right?

any help or advice would be great because i would love to help him out.

tyler[/quote]It's always touch my soft spots when the kids has a close relationship with their parents, Just for that...If he doesn't mind driving up north, I will give him a FREE fitting and take a look if he has room to gain that distance/maximize his potential. But you guys need to be realistic on Distance vs Fairway hits % before you come and see me.

Joe