2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Non-Pros Using Staff Bags

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='boo radley' post='2014289' date='Oct 19 2009, 07:23 AM']I do not have a staff bag, but I'm thinking of getting a used one. I prefer to walk, but the reality is 90% of the time I'm riding these days, and it seems silly not to take advantage of the space and convenience of a larger bag.

I'm impatient by nature and HATE fighting to get clubs in and out of my stand bag (Ogio Grom).[/quote]

Well said mate..
My reasons for using a staff bag would be the storage [b][i]and[/i][/b] not ruining my nice sweaters by carrying a stand bag with shoulder straps...

Here's mine. I only take it when I ride. I'm a 2.6 handicap, so I'm not a total hack.

2818835732_d0b00bc18f.jpg

Nice bag Mark. I have the same bag. My name is on my bag too. My handicap is a 4, right now, but going back down, so I'm not a total hack either.

While it's not a staff bag, I like it when companies make a cart bag that looks like the staff bag.

I put my name on my bag when I got to a 3 handicap. Some people are very much against it. I don't know why you did it, but for me it is motivation. I have been playing golf for 7 1/2 years and gotten to as low was a 3.1. My goal is to be scratch or better. For me having my bag with my name and dressing in nice golf clothes when I play helps me embrace the pressure I put on myself to score like I know I can.

[quote name='jsgolfer12' post='2012733' date='Oct 18 2009, 07:07 AM']I agree they do look cool but they are just so impractical.

I have two because Callaway sent them to me. I didnt ask for them.

I cant get mine on a cart without crushing it anyway. Gimmie a tiny carry bag any day![/quote]

I'll take one of those off you! Would go great with my Callaway set! :D

[quote name='63Brummie' post='2014548' date='Oct 19 2009, 12:13 PM'][quote name='Ryan_Less' post='2012653' date='Oct 18 2009, 01:38 AM']cause they look legit!

the only thing that bugs me, though is when 25 handicappers get their name plastered on a staff bag... There should be a rule against that[/quote]
[b][i][u][size=7]Why?
[/size][/u][/i][/b]
[/quote]

I'd like to ask the same question. Why is this an issue?

Why are you so obsessed with checking out another man's sack? :rolleyes:

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

[quote name='Borthwick' post='2014924' date='Oct 19 2009, 03:36 PM'][quote name='63Brummie' post='2014548' date='Oct 19 2009, 12:13 PM'][quote name='Ryan_Less' post='2012653' date='Oct 18 2009, 01:38 AM']cause they look legit!

the only thing that bugs me, though is when 25 handicappers get their name plastered on a staff bag... There should be a rule against that[/quote]
[b][i][u][size=7]Why?
[/size][/u][/i][/b]
[/quote]

I'd like to ask the same question. Why is this an issue?
[/quote]

I think there is a stigma applied to having your name on a bag. Personally, I think it is okay NO MATTER WHAT YOUR HC IS.
But, I quess it represents that you are acting like a pro since usually only the pros have their names on the bag. I think people take it as 'if you are carrying/acting like a pro, you'd better shoot like a pro'.

Again, my motto is, do whatever the hell you like.

[quote name='Ryan_Less' post='2012653' date='Oct 18 2009, 02:38 AM']cause they look legit!

yeah, my ex-boss was a HORRIBLE golfer (RARELY broke 100), but he had a HUGE Wilson staff bag with a name he made up for himself stitched on: [b][i]"Boom-Boom Kasper"[/i][/b]... and he could drive the ball 220 yards at the most, lol.....

I've got several staff bags. 90% of my golf involves carrying a 6" pencil bag or a distinctly unflashy old Ping L8 carry bag but I occasionally give a staff bag an airing either on my old Turfglider or when I'm visiting the Field of Dreams. Sometimes the extra space is a godsend. They're also very useful for keeping your old clubs in in the cupboard and the loft and make a nice curio.

Even though a big bag never looks quite right without a name on it, I wouldn't use one with my monicker on the front as it would make me feel a bit self conscious. Rightly or wrongly, I'd feel as though people were marking me down as a bighead when I used it. As another poster alluded to above, it's also frowned upon to have your name on any bag by the EGU and R&A in the case of amateur players. If you're playing any sort of higher level amateur golf in the UK, whether at county or national level, having your name on your kit when you play in sanctioned events is a no no.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

It is correct. I didn't say that the rules prohibit it; I said it was [i]frowned upon[/i] in certain circles of amateur play within the UK. And it is. Another poster above intimated that it was forbidden under R&A Rules. It isn't.

I'm going by what I was told in my playing days by an EGU and an R&A official and from my own experience. The reason it's frowned upon, according those officials and a few other people, is because it implies some sort of endorsement exists over and above the provision of free and/or subsidised equipment which is afforded within the rules of amateur status. Putting your name on your equipment in some sort of an [i]ad hoc[/i] fashion for the purpose of identification or personalisation or stamping names or initials on clubs isn't the same as having it embroidered or professionally printed onto a golf bag in the style of those typically used by PGA professionals.

Playing at your home club you can more or less put whatever you like on your kit, but turn up for the English Amateur Championship or the Brabazon Trophy with a big bag with your name on the front and I guarantee you that it'll draw some negative comment from officialdom.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

i have an ogio staff bag but never used it "yet"...at least not until im single digit :D right now it works great as a storage for my backups :good:

SIM 10.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: TS3 9.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: 2017 M2 TI 9.3*-1.8* 205g Diamana X Limited 60s(.5")
F9 14.5* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: TS2 15* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: 2017 M2 15* Crazy La Bomba FW 80s(1")
MB-001 2i KBS C-Taper Lite 115X :: X-Forged UT 18* Project X :: F9 19* Tensei Pro White 100TX
MB-001 4-9 Modus3 Tour 120X :: AR1 4-9 Aerotech SteelFiber 110cw :: MP-29 2-9 KBS Tour
WedgeWorks V-Grind 46/50/55/60 DG S400 Tour Issue
Scotty Tour Black 009M Hoops
Scotty Tour Black Buttonback T10 Newport Deep Milled Insert Only
Studio Stock 28 SB Center Shaft Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Queen B 5 Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Studio Stock 38 (current gamer)
K-Signature
WITB Link

This discussion is very interesting. As a golfer, I have always believed that our game brought out the best in it's participants. Tolerance for all levels of skill(handicaps), a wide variety of styles, both in technique and style. We adhere to some very basic rules about how the game is played. How is it then that we find a player, whatever his skill level, putting his name on his bag, objectionable?

I ride a cart 100% of the time I play golf at the CC. In fact we get to drive our car right up to the bag / buggy area, an attendant will unload the bag from the car and then mount the bag onto your cart for you. After your game, the same thing happens in reverse, the attendant at the CC will carry your bag from the buggy, clean your clubs, and then line it up for you till you drive by again and they will load the bag onto your car.

If I did not have such luxuries, I'll stick with my stand bag :)

Here's mine. I only take it when I ride. I'm a 2.6 handicap, so I'm not a total hack.

2818835732_d0b00bc18f.jpg

liking the set-up and the bag

G430 Max 10K 9* w/Ventus Black 6X

BRNR Mini 13.5* w/Tensei Pro Orange 80TX
TSr3 18* w/Ventus TR Blue 8X

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW w/MMT 125TX

W/S Forged 50* w/DG S400

Mg4 56*, 60* w/DG S400

Tour Spider V DB 
TP5X 24'

[quote name='63Brummie' post='2014548' date='Oct 19 2009, 09:13 AM'][quote name='Ryan_Less' post='2012653' date='Oct 18 2009, 01:38 AM']cause they look legit!

[b][i][u][size=7]Why?
[/size][/u][/i][/b]
[/quote]

In my opinion it just makes one look like a toolshed if they don't have the game to back up a staff bag with their name on it.

[quote name='Ryan_Less' post='2012653' date='Oct 18 2009, 12:38 AM']cause they look legit!

Just played a member/guest tournament in Florida last week and I can tell you, I think it is the ego for most of them to get their names on the bag. Many could not play but many could. Does it bother me? No. Would I do it? Probably not - not my style. I would assume it helps the young guys working there when they have to retrieve a bag for a member. With a name, it does make it easier.

My brother uses a staff bag (Titleist) on his cart. I don't see a problem. Gives you more room to store clubs and other items. He does have the game to back it up, to.

Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila UST V2
Golfsmith Jetstream 3W UST V2
Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart
Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

I'm going to be a party pooper and say that using staff bags on the course is weak sauce. I have no problem fitting everything I need into my Titleist x86. Rain jacket/pants, beanie, sunblock, a snack or two, a drink, plenty of balls, really I can't see why anyone would need so much more space to necessitate a staff bag. At the end of the day, you're trying to look like a pro.

I would like a staff bag, but only to put my spare clubs in at my house. I would never take it out.

[quote name='pfgplm' post='2019168' date='Oct 21 2009, 05:00 PM']At the end of the day, you're trying to look like a pro.[/quote]

[b][u]Wrong![/u][/b] Not trying to look like a pro, I just prefer the look of staff bags. I have a Callaway Staff and a SM carry. I use the staff when riding and the SM for walking.
I have Callaway & Ping clubs; does that mean I'm trying to look like a pro?

[quote name='Buddyjay' post='2019776' date='Oct 21 2009, 10:14 PM'][quote name='pfgplm' post='2019168' date='Oct 21 2009, 05:00 PM']At the end of the day, you're trying to look like a pro.[/quote]

[b][u]Wrong![/u][/b] Not trying to look like a pro, I just prefer the look of staff bags. I have a Callaway Staff and a SM carry. I use the staff when riding and the SM for walking.
[/quote]

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!TOOLSHED

Adams 9015D w/X con4,Ping G20 w/HD6& [color=#0000CD Mizuno JPX 900 5 & 7 woods,Mashie 3 & 4
Bridgestone J40 DPC’s & S3 Pro’s,Mizuno S7 54 & 58
[color=#FF0000]Bettinardi SS7, BC1,Ping Anser 1968 BeCu

Why is it funny someone who is not a pro to have staff bag?

One day, someone asked me why I have staff bag if I am not a pro in not so nice way.

I told him to get one if he wants one.

Some people have very negative feeling and attitude toward to staff bag. I still don't understand.

FYI, I am not a PRO or SINGLE handicap but I have staff bag w/o name because I like it.

Why is it so big deal?

why would anybody stitch their name on the golf bag? i dont get it. i know where my bag is , i dont need my name on it. who does that and why? its like putting a label on my shirt with "Don" on it.

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

[quote name='pofallon' post='2016683' date='Oct 20 2009, 12:12 PM']This discussion is very interesting. As a golfer, I have always believed that our game brought out the best in it's participants. Tolerance for all levels of skill(handicaps), a wide variety of styles, both in technique and style. We adhere to some very basic rules about how the game is played. How is it then that we find a player, whatever his skill level, putting his name on his bag, objectionable?[/quote]
We worry about the silliest things and this topic is on the top of that list in my book. Second would be blades vs shovels... :black eye:

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

[color="#0000ff"][color="#000000"][quote][color="#0000ff"][color="#000000"]This post has been edited by [b]gomdol69[/b]: 50 minutes ago [/color]"Why is it funny someone who is not a pro to have staff bag?

One day, someone asked me why I have staff bag if I am not a pro in not so nice way.

I told him to get one if he wants one.

Some people have very negative feeling and attitude toward to staff bag. I still don't understand.

FYI, I am not a PRO or SINGLE handicap but I have staff bag w/o name because I like it.

Why is it so big deal? "
[/color][/quote][/color][/color][color="#ff8c00"]
[/color]
Good for you...

Pretty soon we may see a post, why is that guy driving a Ford F150 SuperCrew to the country club. I have to drive a truck, my staff bag doesn't fit in my Ferrari!!!!! :secret:

At the end of the day, you're trying to look like a pro.

Wrong! Not trying to look like a pro, I just prefer the look of staff bags. I have a Callaway Staff and a SM carry. I use the staff when riding and the SM for walking.

agreed. i use a Precept staff bag when i ride sometimes. and i doubt anyone would think im trying to look like a pro when this thing is on the back of my cart. plus, its a smaller staff bag (8.5"), so its a perfect size for the cart too

482b8c77361c5.jpg