2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Has the topic of Persimmon woods helped change your mind on your gamer?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

A few weeks ago I took a persimmon driver with me to the dome (January in Minnesota). A couple of us slammed a couple and our mouths watered, even with those hard range balls in a cold dome. I cannot get over that feeling and will take my Wood Bros. and Joe Powell woods out a few times as well as some old blades yet to be determined--MT's or Staffs. Of course the putter will be an 8802 or Bullseye.

[quote name='drewlbk5231' date='20 February 2010 - 03:20 PM' timestamp='1266704446' post='2265432']
maybe because I am young, but I don't understand the point of playing a persimmon wood. You can't compete with a new driver at all
[/quote]

I was out at the range today with a new (to me) Power Built driver fitted with a FM 6.5 shaft. With crap range balls I was carrying near 250, on a cold windy day. I'll bet I will be within 10-15 yds of my 909D3 driver with warmer temps (and balls). With modern balls and shafts the differences are not as much as you think, as has been proven using comparisons in a controlled environment.

All that aside, I don't care to compete in any sanctioned events anymore, so I find challenge in hitting a club well that requires a better swing than that required to hit a modern driver. Pretty much anyone can hit one of these modern tin-cans reasonably well, which is cool, in that it allows more people to play this game.

Ok...ok. What really matters (to me) is when I hit a perfectly executed 270 yd drive with a 40 year old persimmon and have to wait for my friend to hit his second before I do... :D

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

[quote name='drewlbk5231' date='20 February 2010 - 04:20 PM' timestamp='1266704446' post='2265432']
maybe because I am young, but I don't understand the point of playing a persimmon wood. [i]You can't compete with a new driver at all[/i]
[/quote]
The real question is -
[i]
[/i][center][i]"Compete? For what?"[/i] [/center]

[quote name='drewlbk5231' date='20 February 2010 - 03:20 PM' timestamp='1266704446' post='2265432']
maybe because I am young, but I don't understand the point of playing a persimmon wood. You can't compete with a new driver at all
[/quote]

I am longer than most of the people I play with so maybe a shorter (and more workable) driver and 3 wood will even the distance advantage I have. As for competition, I am not going to be playing in any tournaments so I am only competing with the course. I rarely used my driver because the distances I hit it do not usually leave me hitting my approach shots with the irons I am strongest with. I usually hit 3-wood most of the round because of this.

This is an unusual proposition (gaming persimmon clubs) for most people to fathom, especially the young golfers who never experiences the joy of "hitting the ball on the screws." For those of us who know this feeling there is something magical about this. Let me put it another way, how much of a psychological advantage will I have when I keep up, or out drive, my playing partner with an obsolete driver when he is gaming the latest hi-tech Titanium driver. If we are truly competing then I have just won the match. :D

The following pictures is the driver I will be gaming (along with my MacGregor Tommy Armour 945TW 3-wood, 1953 version). The M43T is in the process of being refinished by persimmonpal right now. I will post pictures when I get the driver. I have been told that the face of this driver is deep (1.75 inches). Now if only Spring will arrive!

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I will be this year playing with my Gamers here are some pics, tHE WOODS ARE Joe Powell Smoker and 4 wood . S300 stell shafts Neumann calfskin grips,

My putter is my pride and joy. Ita an Authentic American woods putter , picked this up in St Andrews golf shop in 1985, I had to repair it as I stood on it by accident, that was when I used steelspikes.

Hope you like them ????

Stewart,

Awesome club Sam! Thats a block. Like the crazy fanatic I am, I had to go out and hit some for the 1st time in 2010. Its about 43 degrees here and sunny today and eventhough the fairway was still about 50 percent snow I found a nice grassy patch and aimed for some open grass area about 220 yards away. It felt great to get out and swing the classic woods again. I only managed to loose one ball in the snow. Unfortunately its a precise balahhh Ta..

Great thread.

All this talk of the classic clubs inspired me to take out my old sticks out for a go at my club last Saturday. Certainly raised a few eyebrows amongst the Saturday men's group! Playing partners stopped ribbing me once I started blasting the persimmon past their best drives though.

I was using my old MacGregor Muirfield irons and a couple of nice walnut/mahogany finish Mizuno Pro persimmons (Driver & 3 wood) as well as a previously unhit Cleveland TA588 5 wood (blonde/caramel colour), topped off with a beautiful MacGregor Muirfield blade putter (Sportsman/Wizard style).

I'm fortunate that my course is a classic old Alister MacKenzie design (only one in New Zealand) that plays very well with persimmon and blades. Only 6,000 metres but feels like it plays so much longer than that. I'll post some course pix if anyone's interested.

One of the great things I noticed was that the fairway bunkers I used to just fly it over with the new equipment really come into play with persimmon, however it balances out in terms of distance because I get so much more roll with the persimmon vs the new stuff.

So glad we've got this forum to talk about the old gear!!!

Anyone in NZ who's reading and wants a game with persimmon and blades, let me know.

Cheers,
Dan.

Why stop at persimmon woods? After playing last summer and fall (on Thursdays) with classic persimmon woods and classic blade irons, I am a firm believer that a few rounds with older clubs actually makes you better with your modern equipment. (with the right attitude)

Addressing your lie with the smaller (and thinner) clubs of 30 - 50 years ago gives me a much more concentrated and deliberate (slower) swing than standing over a stick which makes me think 'what could go wrong'.

I sit at a 15 handicap, but due to some rounds at the end of last golf season, I truly believe that playing with classic clubs has improved my game with th emore modern equipment.

So yes - I will be playing with persimmon woods (and vintage blades). It helps me understand the game of golf.

After giving it lots of thought, I made a fateful decision today. I took my Wood Bros. driver to the course today as the newest member of my Sunday bag and clubs.

Gentlemen and ladies, I would like to announce that as good as these things look, they do their job better. They are a wonderful golf club. As much as I would like to keep it for show, I am going to proudly use it.

Do what you wish with your's. I've put mine to the use it was created for. I seemed to be very grateful. I know I am.

[quote name='dbringans' date='26 February 2010 - 10:44 AM' timestamp='1267173851' post='2278318']
Great thread.

All this talk of the classic clubs inspired me to take out my old sticks out for a go at my club last Saturday. Certainly raised a few eyebrows amongst the Saturday men's group! Playing partners stopped ribbing me once I started blasting the persimmon past their best drives though.

I was using my old MacGregor Muirfield irons and a couple of nice walnut/mahogany finish Mizuno Pro persimmons (Driver & 3 wood) as well as a previously unhit Cleveland TA588 5 wood (blonde/caramel colour), topped off with a beautiful MacGregor Muirfield blade putter (Sportsman/Wizard style).

I'm fortunate that my course is a classic old Alister MacKenzie design (only one in New Zealand) that plays very well with persimmon and blades. Only 6,000 metres but feels like it plays so much longer than that. I'll post some course pix if anyone's interested.

One of the great things I noticed was that the fairway bunkers I used to just fly it over with the new equipment really come into play with persimmon, however it balances out in terms of distance because I get so much more roll with the persimmon vs the new stuff.

So glad we've got this forum to talk about the old gear!!!

Anyone in NZ who's reading and wants a game with persimmon and blades, let me know.

Cheers,
Dan.
[/quote]

Hi Dan, That course would be Titirangi if I'm not mistaken, its been many a year since I played there, like nearly 20 years. But a lovely old lay out.

Where is the course on your Avatar? Queenstown/ Kelvin Heights or Wanaka would be my guess

[quote name='mozgolf' date='01 March 2010 - 07:49 PM' timestamp='1267436991' post='2284987']
Hi Dan, That course would be Titirangi if I'm not mistaken, its been many a year since I played there, like nearly 20 years. But a lovely old lay out.

Where is the course on your Avatar? Queenstown/ Kelvin Heights or Wanaka would be my guess
[/quote]

Nice deduction, Moz!

Yes, Titirangi is indeed the place. You wouldn't recognise it now - the last 10 years have been spent restoring it to MacKenzie's original vision. Couple of pix below...

Well spotted on the avatar. That is a spectacular new course in Queenstown called Jacks Point, overlooking Lake Wakatipu. See last two pix below..

How's the golf in Mozambique?

Cheers,
Dan.

[attachment=550302:Titirangi78.jpg]

[attachment=550301:Titirangi60.jpg]

[attachment=550286:Jacks1.jpg]

[attachment=550303:jacks2.jpg]

[quote name='smith5606' date='28 February 2010 - 08:14 PM' timestamp='1267406087' post='2284215']
After giving it lots of thought, I made a fateful decision today. I took my Wood Bros. driver to the course today as the newest member of my Sunday bag and clubs.

Gentlemen and ladies, I would like to announce that as good as these things look, they do their job better. They are a wonderful golf club. As much as I would like to keep it for show, I am going to proudly use it.
[/quote]

smith5606:

I love hearing stories like that!

Yes, I will be playing persimmon in my hickory set this year.

I grew up playing persimmon Spaulding woods with steel, so I have been there, done that. I have put together a set of hickories for playing a short course near home, or off the ladies tees. Talk about a challenge! That driver head is tiny, and the shafts have lots of torque. I have to try to be smooth as silk.

I'll also be playing the set in my signature, as conditions dictate. As I also hope to become a golf teacher this year, I will need modern clubs for demonstrations.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

[quote name='drewlbk5231' date='20 February 2010 - 02:20 PM' timestamp='1266704446' post='2265432']
[/quote]

LOL, with all due respect, you are young and it is all about distance. I know this cuz, believe it or not I was young once and it hasn't changed. The game is about how few strokes it takes to get the ball in the hole.

You will find that as your short game improves that being long off of the tee isn't such a big deal. You will also find that it can really shore up your game when you aren't play'n well.

I play with some young guys and even at 61 I can still pound my drive 260+ and in the fairway. Even with that they are usually 20 yds past me and in the fairway sometimes, but the closer to the green they get, the worse their game is. They only seem to have one shot, which is hitting the ball as hard as they possibly can, (now I know why my father would just shake his head and giggle at me when we golfed, oh and he also said, "its not the back swing that hit the ball").

Sometimes I will go totally retro and throw the persimmons in my bag along with a old set of 1978 Wilson Staff Tour blades and I can beat a lot of guys at the mens club I'm in with that s/u. Granted they are longer off of the tee than I, but I like that b/c it gives them a faults sense of security.

You can teach any monkey how to hit a 460 cc driver, but it takes practice and ability to go 240-250 yds with a persimmons. I could go on, but you have never played persimmons so until you do it is really pointless for me to continue. Someday, when you think you are really good, go get a set of persimmons and a old set of per 1980 irons and see what happens. If you don't have at least a decent golf swing that equipment will eat you up. If you do have a good golf swing you may find what I did and that is I like the old irons are better than any new iron, and thats coming from a Mizuno fan. My 78 Wilsons are like a really good sprots car or a really hot bab-a-licious, they don't put up with crap.

I used to be able to work my golf ball with persimmon woods on every shot almost on command (fade, draw, low flight, high flight). Of course I was playing 3 to 4 rounds a week and practicing nearly every day and my handicap was about a 2. I know I will have initial struggles with the persimmons I am going to game this year. That said, I will either hone my swing and become a player again or go back to gaming my forgiving metal woods. Just banging the ball down the fairway has become a boring concept to me. I honestly believe metal woods have made me a very lazy golfer and diminished my skill as a decent golfer.

[quote name='78blades' date='04 March 2010 - 06:43 AM' timestamp='1267710229' post='2292376']
If you do have a good golf swing you may find what I did and that is I like the old irons are better than any new iron, and thats coming from a Mizuno fan.
[/quote]

I have to agree with 78blades 100% here. While I may not be switching my Mizuno blades (MP-32s), this is why I am going back to persimmon, to hone my swing. The other thing is that when the young hotshots I will play against are in the rough or trees and I am in the fairway (even though 20 or 30 yards behind), I have a chance to reach the green while they continue to chop out of trouble. At the end of the round let's see who has a lower score. :D

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Someday, when you think you are really good, go get a set of persimmons and a old set of per 1980 irons and see what happens. If you don't have at least a decent golf swing that equipment will eat you up. If you do have a good golf swing you may find what I did and that is I like the old irons are better than any new iron, and thats coming from a Mizuno fan. My 78 Wilsons are like a really good sprots car or a really hot bab-a-licious, they don't put up with crap.

I honestly believe metal woods have made me a very lazy golfer and diminished my skill as a decent golfer.

I am going back to persimmon, to hone my swing. The other thing is that when the young hotshots I will play against are in the rough or trees and I am in the fairway (even though 20 or 30 yards behind), I have a chance to reach the green while they continue to chop out of trouble. At the end of the round let's see who has a lower score. biggrin.gif

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I will continue to extol the virtues of playing vintage blades and persimmon drivers as a tool to sharpen up your game. The ones that complain about their loss of competiveness - are very same ones spoken of above.

• 1 month later...

Guys were bombing persimmon woods 300 yards back in the day, too...of course they were getting 40 yards of roll. lol

I'm buying a Louisville driver next week. They're about 1-6 weeks out depending on the options so we'll see when it shows up, but I'm for sure bagging a persimmon driver this year.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

[quote name='dbringans' date='02 March 2010 - 12:59 AM' timestamp='1267484386' post='2286255']
[quote name='mozgolf' date='01 March 2010 - 07:49 PM' timestamp='1267436991' post='2284987']

[/quote]

Nice deduction, Moz!

Yes, Titirangi is indeed the place. You wouldn't recognise it now - the last 10 years have been spent restoring it to MacKenzie's original vision. Couple of pix below...

Well spotted on the avatar. That is a spectacular new course in Queenstown called Jacks Point, overlooking Lake Wakatipu. See last two pix below..

How's the golf in Mozambique?

Cheers,
Dan.

[attachment=550302:Titirangi78.jpg]

[attachment=550301:Titirangi60.jpg]

[attachment=550286:Jacks1.jpg]

[attachment=550303:jacks2.jpg]
[/quote]

LOL, long time since I played Titirangi thats for sure, but even then it was a lovely walk in the middle of the city. New course in Queenstown looks pretty sharp.

Golf in Moz is a labour of love. The course is an old gem but in terrible condition. So its more about the walk and the company and the occasion treat on a decent course in South Africa or Swaziland

[quote name='dan360' date='11 April 2010 - 03:16 PM' timestamp='1271013398' post='2373658']
Guys were bombing persimmon woods 300 yards back in the day, too...of course they were getting 40 yards of roll. lol

I'm buying a Louisville driver next week. They're about 1-6 weeks out depending on the options so we'll see when it shows up, but I'm for sure bagging a persimmon driver this year.
[/quote]

Which one are you getting? Shaft?

I'm thinking of going all out and getting 1-3-5 classic 50's. Already have a set of Walter Hagen Ultradyne 2's in good shape.
[url="http://www.ironfinder.com/Individual-Irons/hagen/ultradyne_ii-74.htm"]irons[/url]
All that's needed is a sand wedge. This could be tricky though to find lefty, but ebay should solve that. Make myself a heel shafted Blade with antique finish and gripmaster and I'm all set. Should be fun.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='sergizmo' date='12 April 2010 - 06:26 AM' timestamp='1271078760' post='2374894']
[quote name='dan360' date='11 April 2010 - 03:16 PM' timestamp='1271013398' post='2373658']

[/quote]

Which one are you getting? Shaft?

I'm thinking of going all out and getting 1-3-5 classic 50's. Already have a set of Walter Hagen Ultradyne 2's in good shape.
[url="http://www.ironfinder.com/Individual-Irons/hagen/ultradyne_ii-74.htm"]irons[/url]
All that's needed is a sand wedge. This could be tricky though to find lefty, but ebay should solve that. Make myself a heel shafted Blade with antique finish and gripmaster and I'm all set. Should be fun.
[/quote]

I ended up with the original Smart driver. 10.5* Shaft is going to be an AeroTech Steelfiber ss75.

I also bought a used 'test subject' with a True Temper shaft in it....

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

• 3 weeks later...

I have a set of Hogan Apex Persimmons with brass back weighting but have been gaming my Ping Eye 2 laminated maple blocks lately. They just feel right to me. I have two drivers, one with the ZZ-lite shaft at 43" and a 44" Alida graphite shafted driver. The 3, 4, and 5 woods all have the ZZ-lite steel shaft, which I love. I chose which one(s) to carry based on the course. I usually carry the graphite driver as I hit the 3 wood almost as far as the steel-shafted driver anyway, but the back up Ping does have a place in another bag. Of course, I often play a short course and can get consistently get ~250 yards off the tee (GPS measured) with the three wood with plenty of control. This is more than enough for this course and I'll skip the driver to carry another wedge.

I have yet to purchase a large-headed, "high-tech" driver, unless you count a Ping Zing and Hogan Series 56 as such, which I don't.