2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

which is the easiest blade to hit?

imabeatonu

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

S59, Mp-32...maybe not in that order

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Head Golf Professional @ Peninsula Golf Resort, KY[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon & UST Mamiya Staff Member[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon Z565 9.5*, UST Mamiya Elements Prototype 7F5T[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon ZF65 15. UST Mamiya ATTAS T2 8X[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon U45 19*, UST Mamiya iRod 85F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon Z765 3-PW. UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 125 F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Vokey TVD 52/58 M-Grind, UST Mamiya Wedge Proto F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2, Frequency Filter shaft[/font]

i've thought the nike blades are suprisingly easy to hit consider they are pretty intimedating looking.

i don't know if the mp-32 count as blades, but they are pretty easy too.

on the other hand, the titliest 670 are the hardest i've tried.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

MP-32s are by far the easiest blades to hit if you consider them blades (and I think you should). The "cut muscle" is significant volume out of the back of the head, but less than a players cavity back (like a Titleist 690.CB or Cleveland CG2).

The Cleveland TA1 (now discontinued) seemed to have a much larger sweet spot than the appearance would imply (it's a totally classic blade shape, a little shorter from heel to toe than most). With the MP-32s, a mishit will still go pretty straight. With the TA-1 a mishit will cost you not only distance but you'll be off line too. I've never tried the CG1.

I'm extremely impressed by the folks who play the Titleist 690.MB. They look *SO* beautiful, but anything less than perfect hits and you'll pay in distance, direction, and shock in your hands and wrists. When you catch the 6-iron on the sweet spot, you feel and sound like a golf god. The Mizuno MP-37 is just slighly less picky (sort of the 690.MB without the punishment).

I actually found the 690.mb to be less demanding than most blades I had tried, and very similar to the mp-33, which most call a "forgiving" blade. I will say that the 690s were a far better club for me after I installed tfr rifle shafts in them. They felt very heavy with the stock dgs300's. I could beat myself for selling them!!!

In my view the MP-32s are the easiest blades to hit. If you are looking for a second hand offering the MP-33 is very good also. You could alternatively try irons such as the MP-60, 695CB, CG2 etc that have a slight cavity but are still very workable.

Titleist TS3 10.5° w/ Tensei AV 55 Stiff
Titleist TS2 16.5° w/ Tensei AV 65 Stiff
Titleist TS2 21° w/ Tensei AV 75 Stiff
Titleist U510 23° w/ Tensei Blue AM2 Stiff
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 w/ XP 95 S300
Vokey SM8 46°, 50°, 54°, 60° w/ XP 95 S300
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34"

For a compact blade the Titleist 680's seemed pretty forgiving as far as blades go. If forgiving is your big concern I might consider sticking with a players CB like the Miura CB-201's, very easy to hit but set up exactly like a blade at address. The matte finish is sweet and very durable as well. Best CB's ever in my opinion!

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

My main set are Mizuno MP-60's and my backup set are Wishon 550m (blades). Much to my surprise, I have found the Wishon blades to be MORE forgiving than my Mizuno CB's. At a 13 handicap, I am hitting the Wishon 550M blades just fine, though I think I still need CB's as my main set, so off go the Mizuno's for something even more forgiving.

I will take your reference to mean actual blades? =MacGregor 1025M's.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Fujikura Pro 95i Tour S
  • T100 (2023) 3i & 4i MMT 95S, T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SM10 F46.10, MCI Wedge 105 Mild
  • F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or new AVX

While I think if you have to ask which blade is the easiest to hit, you probably shouldn't be playing a blade( ...I mean the majority of golfers should probably not be playing a blade, let's face it.) - I think the S59's are so easy to hit you can't even call them a "players" club like most people do.

I look at alot of golfers on our range and they're struggling with a Mizuno blade or muscle-back Taylor Mades and I just want to walk up to them and shake them!

I'm bad too - I have a set of MP-60 irons that I may never actually put in the bag, but they are very nice looking! :)

Whatever makes each of us happy, right?!? But I think alot of us would be better served playing clubs better suited to our game.

Sorry to ramble, back to the question at hand...

I think the S59's are easy to hit as are Titleist 735's but not sure if you consider those blades, but they look like it compared to a set of RAC OS irons or something like that!

While I think if you have to ask which blade is the easiest to hit, you probably shouldn't be playing a blade( ...I mean the majority of golfers should probably not be playing a blade, let's face it.) - I think the S59's are so easy to hit you can't even call them a "players" club like most people do.

I look at alot of golfers on our range and they're struggling with a Mizuno blade or muscle-back Taylor Mades and I just want to walk up to them and shake them!

I'm bad too - I have a set of MP-60 irons that I may never actually put in the bag, but they are very nice looking! :)

Whatever makes each of us happy, right?!? But I think alot of us would be better served playing clubs better suited to our game.

I think the S59's are easy to hit as are Titleist 735's but not sure if you consider those blades, but they look like it compared to a set of RAC OS irons or something like that!

i 100% agree with you, if your trying to figure out the easiest blade to hit, chances are, you shouldnt be hitting them, not saying you shouldnt, just in context. Good luck. And my opinion would be the S59's.

:crazy: Paul

i 100% agree with you, if your trying to figure out the easiest blade to hit, chances are, you shouldnt be hitting them, not saying you shouldnt, just in context. Good luck. And my opinion would be the S59's.

:crazy: Paul

I too agree 100%...Of course anyone can play what ever they want.After all it's only a game..But I see many,MANY golfers playing blades that should not...

"Oh,I am a realy good ballstriker for a 15,my short game stinks."

Well if you are a 15 and hit the ball like some one that should be using blades your short game would be HIDEOUS!!!

Again If anyone wants to use blades,I don't care..It is just kinda funny...

BTW...I LOVE to play money games with the guys at my club that are 10+ and use blades..They are just about the only double digit players that I will play net games with.I am a 4.It is usualy a loosing bet for me to play someone 10+ for money..But if they are sporting blades(and I know they are not sandbaggers) I say lets go.... ;)

TM M2 2017 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 65 S
Ping G400 14.5 PING Tour 80g S
Ping Anser 17* 23* PING Tour  S
PING iE1 5-PW Modus3 105 S
PING Glide 2.0 50* 54* 60* Modus 115 Wedge S
BioMech 41"
NDMC Plus 4
ProV1

No blades are easy to hit, their are just different levels of perception on ease of use - usually based on the look and feel of the club to the individual player. I have a preference for the MP-33 because the look and feel builds confidence in me (but I wouldn't want to extol their virtues too much over any other club), translating into a perceived ease of use in relation to other blades I own (can't get the collector out of me) or have tried. That said, any other blade may generate that 'easy or easier feeling' with you, whereas I or another player might not experience that with a particular model. I suppose its all down to trying out as many different clubs as you can and not making a purchase mistake - as with blades that mistake can be expensive. Playability is in the eye and hands of the individual player.

Drawmerchant

I'm a blade Ho myself but CB's are truly the way to go here. I put my custom 37's back into my bag recently because they set-up so awesome but the results dictate the truth, blades are for pros!

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

The blade type and player's cavity back irons I've owned include: Mizuno MP 33's, MP 30's, TM Forged 300's, TM MB's the OG ones, Ben Hogan Apex 50's, and the Ben Hogan Apex (model right before the 50's).

The easiest of those is clearly the Ben Hogan Apex, followed by the Apex 50's, MP 33's, TM 300's/MBs, and then the MP 30's as the least forgiving. But there is a substantial gap between the MP 33's and everything that follows it.

My Apex 50's had Nippon 1050's and were smooth, but the Apex that I have right now with stock Apex #4 shafts just work better. I'm hitting them great out of the first cut and deeper stuff. And from the fwy's I get very consistent distances.

Now I just need to hit a few more fwy's to give myself a better look at more GIRs (birdies/pars).

As soon as I saw the thread title I knew someone would chime in and be "that guy".

The simple fact is that throughout the amateur ranks, from the 30+ handicap to the club champ, handicaps and average scores have not dropped since the days when all irons were blades.

I walk on quite a bit, so I get to play with a lot of different people. Almost all of them are playing Pings or Callaways or whatever, and almost invariably those shovels don't even come close to improving their game. I don't ever recall hearing "yeah, I got these to replace my old Hogan's from college and shot my best score ever first time out".

One of my favorite stories is about my friend who came up to visit from Maryland. We decided to get in a few rounds. I had just purchased my 690.mb's and I still had my MP-33's laying around (don't ask me why I ever sold them). This guy was a prototypical 110 shooter who played maybe twice a year in some beer bash tourney. He was a really bad player. So naturally I had him out playing with my MP-33's and my old 975D. We warmed up at the range and he seemed to have some horrible swing flaws. Toward the end of the bucket he was hitting some respectable shots. The guy shot about 50 on the front 9, then as he got a little more accustomed to the clubs, he started really feeling what was happening with his swing. He shot a 44 on the back for his lowest 18 hole score ever. Over the rest of the weekend he got progressively better and actually broke 90 in our final round.

IMO game improvement irons are a farce and a lie.

i've used to play mp33's but since all my friends updated their sets through out the years i decided there it was time to do the same. BIG MISTAKE!!! i've bought mp60's and although it's good i didn't get used to the wider sole. i know i know: whatever!!! but i sold them and bought the new 695mb just because it looks beautiful. i can play these but mp33 are waaayyy better. but answering the thread , i don't think there is any easy to hit blades. and i really don't understand why people insist to play them when they can't break 80!?!?! maybe for the same reason i still play 2 iron instead of hybrids??

Cobra LTDx LS Ventus Black 6X

TM BRNR 13.5 HZRDUS Blue 70 6.5

Mizuno Pro 225 3i CTaper 120 S

Titleist T100 4-9 TI X100

Vokey SM9 46.10F x100 SM10 50.08F/56.12D/60.08M S400

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 TEi3

I've got a bone to pick with people who say the S59 is a blade. It's a cavity-back with a filled cavity. If we're going to call the S59 a blade, then we might as well call something like the 990 a blade as well.

915D3 8.5* Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
915F 15* Diamana B-Series 80X, 18* Grafalloy Epic T90X
716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange