Baltimore 3/27-3/29

Will be in town and looking for GOLF!
My little sister has a volleyball tournament in Baltimore the weekend of the 27th and I am hoping to bring my sticks. I have never brought my sticks on vacation other than Disney World, nor have I ever been that North this time of year...Michigan for the OSU Michigan football game in November - I have no clue what I am getting myself into...hopefully yall will have grass by then?

If anybody has any ideas of where I can play up in y'alls neck of the woods...or if anybody wants to play a round and show me the ropes up how golf in the north is played...I'd be down for that! haha

Basically end of March...is there going to be any courses even open? I don't want to be walking around the airport with my sticks and people be like he must be not from around here!

I will have a rental car and will be staying downtown Baltimore area...if you have a reccomendation for a place for me to play a round I'd appreciate it. Not looking for more than $125ish fee wise; then again if it's worth it I'd be up for it. I'd like something that would define golf for the area and would be a good experience!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stick, No worries on the courses being open. Most of them are opening back up now. Everyday I get an email notification of another opening back up. Barring any major storm the next two weeks, there should be no snow on the ground by then. As to the conditions, I don't know what to expect. Right now the areas that are all grass ave very very soggy.

We're supposed to get a nice run of 50+ degree days the next 5 days or so, hopefully that will start to dry things out.

As to playing, you'll have no problem finding one of our nicer courses to play well below you price limit. Most courses are still in the "winter rates" which means mostly around $50 to $60 for the top courses and some bargains in the $30's.

however, they are quick to change and if we get a burst or warm weather they will no doubt go back up to normal, but even that you'd be paying $70 to $80 weekday $90 or so on weekend.

There are a lot of great options within 30 to 45 minutes of downtown Baltimore. Some of my choices would be,

1) Renditions-A replica course that has Amen Corner and TPC Sawgrass and many US and British Open holes. It's in Davidsonville, maybe 45 minutes from downtown. It is really neat to experience if you want something different to tellthe guys back home about.

2) Waverly Woods-Near Ellicot City, MD about 20 to 30 minutes due west of downtown right off I-70. A very nice Arthur Hills design. Wide sloping fairways and large greens with lots of undulation. One of the nicer daily fee courses in the area.

3) Mountain Branch-Joppa Md about 30 minutes north of downtown Baltimore, a couple miles of I95. A very challenging course with lots of elevation changes and very treelined. During the summer one of the toughest things about the course is the thickness of the rough, but probably not so much this time of year. it's very upscale from the carts, to the clubhouse. One of the best restaurant clubhouses around.

4)I'll lump these all together but Baltimore Municipal courses are pretty decent as well and all within 20 minutes of downtown. Rocky Point, Diamond Ridge, Woodlawn to name a few. They are nothing spectacular but solid muni's that are a deal this time of year.

5) If you're up to driving about an hour due west of Baltimore, you'll find one of the best collection of courses in the entire DC/Balt area in Frederick. You've got
----PB Dye-Ranked as one of the 50 toughest public courses in the US
--- Whiskey Creek, a beautiful course designed by Ernie Els with the ruins of a old house in the middle of the 18th fairway.
----Musket Ridge-One of my top 5 favoritie courses in the state.
----Maryland National-Two miles down the road from Musket lots of challenging Par 4's

As for hooking up to play, that is right on the borderline of when I might be able to play after knee surgery. I'm 2 weeks into rehab from and the Doc said 4 to 6 weeks. I'll have to play it by ear and see. But I usually can get out on short notice if you're looking for a partner. If not I know a few other guys in the area who always can.

Feel free to post with any other questions or PM

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I truely apprecite the detailed response bud! Much appreciated!

I had no clue what to expect as far as golf up in that neck of the woods of the country in late March - my sticks are coming with me for sure now!

Coming from down here in TX I just wanted to find a place with some hills and just something new that would give me a feel of golf in that area of the States...if you want to play we might be able to figure something out around then - pending your rehab and my schedule with the family - as I am not too sure what my schedule is...

Waverly Woods is probably where I will try to play - I like the look and the layout of the course from what I can see online - but pictures never do a course justice...

No problem, hope I didn't ramble too much as I tend to do.

You'll like Waverly a lot if that is your choice. If you truly wanted to see something different than the flat courses of Texas, then it might be worth the hour drive to Musket Ridge that I mentioned. But given the time of year with the trees mostly dead, it's not as scenic as it will be two months from now.

Keep in touch about your plans and we'll see about hooking up.

Vokey

Waverly is nice track- my buddy who I played baseball with in college is the Superintendent. I live in frederick area and I can vouch for all of those public courses listed- i'd add worthington manor to that list- better value as well.
You may want to think about bulle rock as well- just north of Baltimore and has hosted the LPGA Championship.

[quote name='purgasoj' date='07 March 2010 - 03:51 PM' timestamp='1267995108' post='2299756']
Waverly is nice track- my buddy who I played baseball with in college is the Superintendent. I live in frederick area and I can vouch for all of those public courses listed- i'd add worthington manor to that list- better value as well.
You may want to think about bulle rock as well- just north of Baltimore and has hosted the LPGA Championship.
[/quote]

I may be wrong, but I don't think Bulle Rock opens until sometime in April. Although you're right it's definitely worth a call to find out and fits at the top of his price range.

Tell your buddy he does a great job at Waverly especially the greens, they are just phenomenal when they get rolling pretty good. Love their practice range as well, one of the few courses with a grass range that is almost always open.

I didn't mean to slight Worthington Manor as it is a very close favorite with Musket Ridge as well. Many of my buddies don't like Worthington due to the inconsistent bunkers, I say "just stay out of them" :)

Vokey

• 2 weeks later...

Stick, just to give you an update. The weather here this past weekend couldn't have been better. Mid 70's with a light breeze all weekend. We're getting some rain today but the rest of the week is supposed to be decent. You'll definitely be able to play temp wise.

There are no traces of snow on any of the courses. The ground was bit soft due to several days of rain last week that followed the melting. With the two days of sunshine I think the turf began to frim up a bit. I played on my home course on Friday and it was in very good shape considering. No mud balls, not much bounce and roll in the fairway but overall very good.

let me know about your schedule and if you get out we'll see if we can meet up.

Vokey

Awesome man, sounds good! I had been contemplating bringing the clubs again - heard the weather up there wasnt supposed to be that good...we had another nice little cold front move through TX and some snow in Dallas...but now I guess I can start packing up the bag - they need to come on a vacation!!

My schedule I think is basically going to be...if I can get on the course Saturday I am going to play. I am just a single - so I don't think a course will be too packed to let me on.

I am going to call around to a few of those hopefully soon and see if I can work something out..

[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' date='08 March 2010 - 11:14 AM' timestamp='1268061286' post='2301574']
[quote name='purgasoj' date='07 March 2010 - 03:51 PM' timestamp='1267995108' post='2299756']
[/quote]

I may be wrong, but I don't think Bulle Rock opens until sometime in April. Although you're right it's definitely worth a call to find out and fits at the top of his price range.

Tell your buddy he does a great job at Waverly especially the greens, they are just phenomenal when they get rolling pretty good. Love their practice range as well, one of the few courses with a grass range that is almost always open.

I didn't mean to slight Worthington Manor as it is a very close favorite with Musket Ridge as well. Many of my buddies don't like Worthington due to the inconsistent bunkers, I say "just stay out of them" :)
[/quote]

I played Worthington Saturday and the bunkers were pretty bad, Most didn't even have the rakes in em yet. Other then the bunkers the course was looking great though. Side note, im not sure why, but the tees have not been placed on the tee boxes yet. I also agree on the Musket Ridge recommendation, when it gets into fall that course is beautiful, I just feel the track is a bit easy, but still a very solid course.

[quote name='ll.umpire' date='22 March 2010 - 05:39 PM' timestamp='1269293957' post='2333909']
[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' date='08 March 2010 - 11:14 AM' timestamp='1268061286' post='2301574']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I played Worthington Saturday and the bunkers were pretty bad, Most didn't even have the rakes in em yet. Other then the bunkers the course was looking great though. Side note, im not sure why, but the tees have not been placed on the tee boxes yet. I also agree on the Musket Ridge recommendation, when it gets into fall that course is beautiful, I just feel the track is a bit easy, but still a very solid course.

[/quote]
Hey ump, good to hear from you. Are you working at Worthington again this year? Thanks for the update on the course, I'm sure in the next few weeks they will have things in shape, at least I hope so. I definitely plan on getting out there at least a couple times this year, I have to take advantage of the birthday coupon in May at the very least.

As for Musket being easy, I know it's not the toughest course around but it has a few holes that can be round wreckers if you're not careful. To me no's 7, 9, 14 and 16 can cause you some problems if you're not careful. It's certainly not the longest course around, and is fairly forgiving off the tee on many holes, but the ones I mentioned can have triple written all over them with one bad shot.

The funny thing is I have several of my buddies who consider Worthington much tougher than Musket, but I usually score better at Worthington. Just one of those things, I really like the layout of Worthington.

Vokey

Stick, I saw the latest weather last night. Friday looks pretty bad right now, but Saturday looks decent maybe low 60's and mostly sunny. So that's probably you're better day. Most courses should be able to work a single in on Saturday morning without too much of a wait. Also many of them will pencil you into a group if you call that morning as a single before heading out.

Enjoy what hopefully will be a beautiful Spring Maryland day at a nice course.

Vokey

Yes, I will be working at Worthington again this summer yahoo.gif, i'll actually start working weekends The first or second week of April.

I played today and will post that update in the "DC metro golf scene" thread under reviews so I dont hijack this thread much more lol.

Scratch -n- Stick, Hope you enjoy where ever you play, and please let us know how it was

Stick,
Here's your daily weather update. it's not looking great for you this weekend, I'm sorry to say. Friday will be raining and cool all day. Saturday is supposed to be sunny but only a high of 50. For this area 50 depends entirely on the wind. If it's not windy at all, 50 is very nice and playable in the sun. If it's windy, it will quickly feel like low 40's to 30's.

I played yesterday, temps in the mid 60's with a very strong 20mph wind most of the day. it was comfortable with a lightweight windshirt on. But that 10 to 12 degrees really makes a difference here in the early spring.

Vokey

Hey Greenie, yeah it was actually my 2nd round. Ironically enough I played my first round last Thursday, which was one month to the day of surgery. Everything seems fine, the Dr. gave me the clearance and I didn't waste any time. There was no pain at all either round, which was a welcome relief. Probably the first pain free round I had played in 18 months.

I had grand plans to go somewhre nice Lake Presidential, Musket Ridge somewhre, but my two playing partners had to back out so since I was solo, I stayed close to home and played Timbers at Troy (my home course). it's in very good early season shape. It felt really good to be out after this long winter, as I'm sure you can attest to as well!!

We'll definitely have to get a round or two in together this year!!

Vokey

Well as it turns out with my luck - I have been really sick and as we get ready to leave for the airport I am going to have to leave the clubs at home...I am too sick to get out and play golf in any weather much less 50 and windy!

I just wanted to thank yall for all the help with the information! I really appreciate it from all of you guys!