2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Title

Cygnus X1

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I would not take the swing stick as an accurate measure of swing speed, it is known to be on the high side. It would be almost impossible to increase your max swing speed by 10-15 mph in 20 minutes no matter what you do.

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

Measuring your clubhead speed with a plastic tube is about as accurate as measuring your car's top speed by sticking your arm out of the window.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

[quote name='mat562' date='07 April 2010 - 04:45 PM' timestamp='1270676716' post='2366388']
Measuring your clubhead speed with a plastic tube is about as accurate as measuring your car's top speed by sticking your arm out of the window.
[/quote]

Best analogy of the day award winner.... @ the OP.... Do you carry the ball about 280?

[quote name='xamilo' date='08 April 2010 - 12:28 AM' timestamp='1270700895' post='2367288']
I would be more worried about trying to gain weight and avoid such malnutrition (with a BMI of 18.6) than about my swing speed at this moment of your life
[/quote]

Well, unless you are incredibly over-weight, I would not worry about BMI. You get your muscle weight up and your BMI will be through the roof.

D - Tour Burner TP 9.5*/Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 63g 

3W - 07 Burner TP TS/Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 73g

2h - Razr Tour/Aldila NV Hybrid 85

3h - Diablo Edge Tour/Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 HB

5-7 - P790/KBS C-Taper 120

8-PW - P770/KBS C-Taper 120

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

P - Nike Method Origin B2-01 Naked

Oops.... Didn't realize on my last post that this is in the long driver's lab. At 16 and 120 lbs, you're in a prime spot to pack on muscle. You could try GOMAD (gallon of milk a day) with hitting the weights hard (squats, deadlifts, bench, overhead, core work). You could probably put on 20 lbs in a month. Not all would be muscle, but you would be getting stronger. Maybe stronglifts, or Rippetoe.

that swing stick thing is a nice warm up tool. i found swinging it that the results were within 2/3 mph of reality, but with that said, it's easy to trick those kinds of devices. when you're young you can create a lot of lag and speed, but i don't believe your measurement was accurate. keep swinging

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Cygnus X1' date='06 April 2010 - 03:37 PM' timestamp='1270597035' post='2364508']
[size="4"]I am a 16 year old golfer from Galveston, TX. I am 5'8'' and weigh 120 lbs (I know, I'm very very skinny), and I swing my driver very hard with a fast tempo, an aggresive transition and I load the club hard at the top. Although my "regular" swing speed with my driver (45'', Callaway FT-iQ Tour, 9.5*, X-Flex FUBUKI Tour 63 Shaft) is 105-108 mph (it has been tested in many different launch monitors with the same results) and I drive the ball 270-280, I surprised myself today by cranking out a 120mph SS several times in a row. I used an LD type siwng I have been practicing that is an extreme version of my regular swing. I used a ten finger grip ( I typically use an interlock)and took the club back as wide as a possibly could, turning my shoulders as much as possible while keeping my hips mostly stable, and at the top I loaded the club very aggresively, and swung through as hard as I could after throwing my hips through. I swung the Swing Stik about 30 times, and with this swing I was consistently getting an SS of about 116-118 mph, and 4 times I cranked it up all the way to 120- according to the Swing Stik. I know that I was swinging as fast and aggresively as I could, and I know that I was generating a clubhead speed significantly faster than what I normally do. HOWEVER, I am extremely skeptical about the results that I got. I know a 120mph swing speed is as fast as some of the strongest swingers on TOUR, and is obscenely fast for a 120lb, less-than-six-foot-tall 16 year old. I am just wondering if anybody with LD experience or just lots of fitting and/or swing experience can give me their opinion as to whether or not those results sound realistic. If they sound true, then I would be very pleased! But I am quite sure that I can't actually swing the club at 120, even if I do swing very hard. Any replies concerning my question are appreciated. [/size]
[/quote]

Bro, if you really want to increase distance, then get in the gym and start doing some powerlifting, plyometrics, stability exercises and extreme stretching. I guarantee you that you will gain at least 10 more yards off the tee, if not more. You need to get stronger and fire your fast twitch fibers faster, since you are short like me therefore, you can really give the ball a rip. I'm only 5'7, but am 200 pounds at 14% bodyfat. I used to be a big time amateur bodybuilder in my city and used to weigh a lot more with less bodyfat. Working out has gotten me 20 yards off the tee. I too used to max out at around 270, but since incorporating all these movements, I consistently can get a total distance of 290 off the tee. Trust me bro, you can definately gain distance off the tee, but that's not going to happen until you get in the gym.

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

[quote name='Cygnus X1' date='10 April 2010 - 07:40 PM' timestamp='1270957204' post='2372864']
@ xamilo....

LOL. I am in no way malnourished. No offense intended, and I am no doctor. But it would have been pointed out to me by now if I was indeed malnourished. I have a very fast metabolism and my daily caloric intake is very, very high for a person my size. I have a 28 inch waist and I get my small size from my father's side of my family. He is 52 and weighs ~140-150 with a 30 inch waist. We're just lean guys. He has more muscle than I do, but we are nearly the same size.

-----------------------------------------------------
@ highergr0und....

On most courses I usually do have much easier approaches than my competitors. I compete frequently and have only met a few other guys my size and age who have distances in common with me. I hit my irons much further than most people my size as well, but I don't swing out of my shoes on iron shots like I do on my driver (lol), but I create a lot of lag and my hands are ahead of the ball at impact. My irons are strong lofted GI irons ('09 Taylormade Burners w/ KBS Tour in stiff) so distance isn't a big issue.

-----------------------------------------------------
But back to the topic, I don't really [i]need [/i]more distance at this point of my life (at least another year and a half before college golf), but I really do desire more distance off the tee. Thanks for the weight lifting advice guys, I intend on trying to gain around 20-30 pounds, but very, very gradually. I want to remain as lean as possible, and IMO flexibility and timing are better for distance anyway (look at Sadlowski... I mean, dear GOD...). Does anybody know of any head/shaft combinations that would be better for me than my current set up? I hit my driver awfully high, and it balloons terribly into the wind. I swing up to the ball a lot. I have to tee the ball very low swing for less distance than I desire to keep the ball in play when the wind flares up. My driver specs are present earlier in the thread.
[/quote]

The setup I have in my driver is as follows and you may like it too. Supertri 9.5 degrees with fubuki alpha 60 S, tipped an inch so that it plays like a x flex, but still has some kick to it. It has a mid trajectory but i can adjust my swing to hit a towering fly ball if need be. If you're looking for a shaft that is tighter(more control), look no further than the matrix altus low torque. It launches the ball high, but because of the low torque, there will be less twisting at impact. Also, jamie sadlowski hits the ball as far as he does because he plays hockey and some strong wrists and forearms. Don't forget that hockey players are also gym rats.

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

i'll get flamed, but speed in my opinion is only a small part of the distance equation. guys with slower clubhead speeds outdrive guys with higher clubhead speeds all the time. nothing replaces technique, club path and attack angle, dead solid head contact, etc. people are obsessed with clubhead speed, with total disregard for the best way to apply it to the ball. long guys have clubhead speeds that are probably around 35-40mph faster than me, but i've had tons of drives over 350 (straight away fairway, no elevation, barely a breeze in the air). I think the advice about building up your body for speed is very good. as a drummer, i've always had fast and strong hands and forearms, and i've always been very flexible, and i believe combined with good technique, i've had no trouble with length. i'm just saying, i've played with lots of guys that claim their clubhead speed is in the 130s on a launch monitor and all this, and i hit it even or past them all day. being a noodle flailing at the ball to make a clubhead speed mark is doing you no favor over the long haul. improve the efficiency of your swing, and hit the gym.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

[quote name='golfpros1' date='21 April 2010 - 12:28 PM' timestamp='1271881729' post='2392931']
i'll get flamed, but speed in my opinion is only a small part of the distance equation. guys with slower clubhead speeds outdrive guys with higher clubhead speeds all the time. nothing replaces technique, club path and attack angle, dead solid head contact, etc. people are obsessed with clubhead speed, with total disregard for the best way to apply it to the ball. long guys have clubhead speeds that are probably around 35-40mph faster than me, but i've had tons of drives over 350 (straight away fairway, no elevation, barely a breeze in the air). I think the advice about building up your body for speed is very good. as a drummer, i've always had fast and strong hands and forearms, and i've always been very flexible, and i believe combined with good technique, i've had no trouble with length. i'm just saying, i've played with lots of guys that claim their clubhead speed is in the 130s on a launch monitor and all this, and i hit it even or past them all day. being a noodle flailing at the ball to make a clubhead speed mark is doing you no favor over the long haul. improve the efficiency of your swing, and hit the gym.
[/quote]

I'm not going to flame you bro, because what you're saying is absolutely correct. Technique is the most important thing. However, once someone has their technique down, the only way to hit the ball further is to get in the gym and put in your time. Another factor into optimizing distance is to get the right shaft and head for your driver as well.

• 2 months later...

I am very new to golf (Only 2 months now), and no I can not hit the stupid white ball very far. I think I drive the ball between 230 and 240 on average. I am 5'8" 215 lbs and I am pretty damn strong. Given all of that, I am a mathematician, and minored in physics. Strength and speed are two totally different things. Lets use a real world example.

Your average Semi Truck has about 400 horsepower (Strength), and a nice Corvette also has around 400 horsepower. Now, why can one go over 200 miles per hour but couldn't pull a small boat, while the other tops out around 130is but can pull your house down the road? The answer is efficiency. The Semi is horribly inefficient when it comes to speed, but very efficient when it comes to torque. This is due to aerodynamics, gearing and weight. The opposite is true for the Corvette.

I am linking to two you tube videos of Michelle Wie. I can probably pick her up and throw her 10 feet. I know for fact I am far stronger than this lady. However, she is very efficient when it comes to utilizing a golf swing. She can also drive the ball a football field longer than me on her best day. If you want to drive the ball farther I would train my body in the following order. I am on step on still heh.

1. Efficient swing (Stop wasting energy with bad form and swing tempo)

2. Club head contact. (Want to drive it farther and more consistent? Hit it on the sweet spot every time)

3. Angle of attack. (Sky balls and slices do not add to distance), This is the one spot where equipment plays a substantial role (Loft, flex, flex point, etc...).

4. Speed. ("Gear" your body to a faster speed)

5. Strength. (Now that the rest is in place, add more horsepower)

All of that being said (And I honestly believe it all), here are my 2 cents. If you can drive the ball 280-300 yards AND you are NOT a scratch player, you are wasting your time training to get extra distance with your driver. I hove only played 5-6 different courses now, and aside from the FEW par 5's on any given course, driving it over 300ish would be detrimental to most people's game. For the most part, most of us can hit the 8i, 9i and PW very well with a nice 85% swing. However, most of us suck at trying to pull off a 65.42% wedge swing to get close to the pin. Why do I want to be 75 yards from the pin? I don't! I want to be between 105 and 130 from the pin.

All of that, and here are the two video's of Michelle Wie. Pretty impressive for someone with probably half the raw strength of the average man.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ7aIFplQfc&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ7aIFplQfc&feature=related[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQqAqGr7Njo&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQqAqGr7Njo&feature=related[/url]

Que

[quote name='Cygnus X1' date='21 April 2010 - 03:33 PM' timestamp='1271892828' post='2393308']
Why would I flame you? What you're saying make perfect sense. I [i]am[/i] a noodle... But saying that I flail at the ball is a little extreme... :p

But I do agree with you FULLY that clubhead speed is NOT the end-all distance creating factor of a golf swing. If you swing at 5,000 miles per hour (figuratively speaking) and make poor contact, then you're wasting your effort. I am not obsessed with clubhead speed, I'm just talking about it and requesting advice about it since this is the LD forum. And I agree with everybody that says that I should work out. I totally, totally agree. Look at Anthony Kim! I followed him at the Shell Open all day on Sunday this year, and he is amazing. He's about my height but he is pretty cut (maybe that's an understatment... the guy's got freaking muscles) and absolutely POUNDS his tee shots. Maybe they miss the fairway pretty frequently, but his strength allowed him to hit some impressive shots. Tiger Woods is obviously another good example of muscles being benefitial to your golf game. I fully understand that working out would most likely improve most of the facets of my long game, and all input is much appreciated.

[/quote]

What? . You mean you can't?? .laugh.gif

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Mward2002' date='13 July 2010 - 12:11 PM' timestamp='1279037462' post='2573000']
Swing Stik can be more accurate than you think. Instead of looking at the very top of the red line for speed, look at the bottom part. I can get my red one up to 120, yet I know that's not happening. When the top's at 120, the bottom's about 5-6 mph lower or so, which is on par with what I get on LM's.
[/quote]

I used a swing stick one time, it went to the end every time so I didn't really think it gave me much feedback. I routinely get clocked in the 140's and I'm no a huge guy. I'm 6ft and 200 lbs. I don't go to the gym either, so it ain't all muscle.
Someone said earlier that technique is a huge part of it. I will tell you getting the proper launch angle and spin rate will get you an extra 20 or so yards. I've had more speed up my sleeve than my competitors and missed the sweet spot or hit a spinner and lost because of it.

Here is me loosing to Ryan Hixson last year at the Military Remax World Longdrive Championship. I was clocked at 7mph faster than him but I hit a spinner up into the wind. Mind you these were 30 mph head winds but you get the idea.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_tcXHWDAko"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=6_tcXHWDAko[/url]

Jake Taylor

[quote name='xamilo' date='08 April 2010 - 12:28 AM' timestamp='1270700895' post='2367288']
I would be more worried about trying to gain weight and avoid such malnutrition (with a BMI of 18.6) than about my swing speed at this moment of your life
[/quote]

I'm 6'2 130 @ 29 years old. I probably take in more calories in a day than you do all week. I just have a high metabolism, like I'm sure the OP does as well. I can hit the gym and drink all the muscle milk I want and I would be hard pressed to gain 10 pounds in a year. It just isn't in the cards for me. I get stronger when I work out ( I used to bench 225, yeah I know it isn't a huge number but for my size you get the point) but I just don't gain mass very easily. It's been years since I have hit the gym and at this point in my life I haven't really had a reason to. I carry my driver 275 and 6 iron 185 so I am fine in those respects. Maybe at some point I'll give it another shot but my point is, to call someone malnourished is idiotic. Just because some people can eat 2000 calories a day and weight 300 pounds doesn't mean it's the same for everyone. There's always exceptions to every rule.

[quote name='SergioKSU' date='14 July 2010 - 09:00 PM' timestamp='1279155636' post='2576541']
[/quote]

I'm 6'2 130 @ 29 years old. I probably take in more calories in a day than you do all week. I just have a high metabolism, like I'm sure the OP does as well. I can hit the gym and drink all the muscle milk I want and I would be hard pressed to gain 10 pounds in a year. It just isn't in the cards for me. I get stronger when I work out ( I used to bench 225, yeah I know it isn't a huge number but for my size you get the point) but I just don't gain mass very easily. It's been years since I have hit the gym and at this point in my life I haven't really had a reason to. I carry my driver 275 and 6 iron 185 so I am fine in those respects. Maybe at some point I'll give it another shot but my point is, to call someone malnourished is idiotic. Just because some people can eat 2000 calories a day and weight 300 pounds doesn't mean it's the same for everyone. There's always exceptions to every rule.
[/quote]

ok to be honest, at 6 2 130 is pretty darn light. you should try to gain some weight.

No offense but theres something wrong with you, seek medical advice haha...really jk

balejuice1.jpg

Why even worry about it?! 105-108 is a very nice place to be for the above average golfer. Concentrate more on the flat stick and getting deadly with it...Drive for show putt for dough, far more inpressed by great putters than guys that can hit it 300 just my opinion though.

The Big Dog ~ G425 LST | AD UB 6x
The 3 Banger ~ Mavrik MAX | AD DI 7x
The 5 Banger ~ Mavrik SZ | Motore F3 7x

The Metal ~ T200 4-W
The Shovels ~ SM7 54, 58
Flatstick ~ Spider X Chalk Stability Tour

No offense but theres something wrong with you, seek medical advice haha...really jk

balejuice1.jpg

To be honest, other than the ribs sticking out me and the zombie fellow probably have the same build lol.

[quote name='pinhigh27' date='15 July 2010 - 09:33 AM' timestamp='1279200828' post='2577422']
[quote name='SergioKSU' date='14 July 2010 - 09:00 PM' timestamp='1279155636' post='2576541']
[/quote]

[/quote]

ok to be honest, at 6 2 130 is pretty darn light. you should try to gain some weight.
[/quote]

Apparently you only read my first sentence Junior.