2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Sunice Tornado Jacket

A review of this great jacket

Sunice Tornado Jacket

Soft, Comfortable, and Repels Everything

In the past 2 years rain gear has come a long ways. Even just 2 years ago it seemed that most rain gear was very plasticy. While it worked to repel the rain, that is all it was useful for, it was moderately comfortable but rarely ever saw the light of day unless there was inclement weather.

Sunice’s newest Tornado jacket is changing the way we wear and buy rain gear. The very first thing I noticed when I opened the box, was how soft the Tornado jacket felt. I actually wondered if they sent me the wrong jacket. It is incredibly soft and stretchy. It looked more like a normal coat, almost sweatshirt like with how soft it was. Once I tried it on, I couldn’t believe how flexible and comfortable the material was. They call this material FlexVent.

102_1270.jpg

102_1273.jpg

Now springtime is typically a great time to try out rain gear in the upper Midwest. It normally rains once or twice a week, and almost always when I have golf planned. Unfortunately, this year, we are having one of the best golfing springs I can ever remember. There have only been few showers here and there and most of them were overnight. I did wear the jacket to work a couple days when it was raining. The drops just bounced off the jacket. Even after a few minutes in the rain you couldn’t see any evidence that I was out in the rain. But the greatest test came on the 17th hole the last time I was out. I was walking under a tree and sure enough a bird decided that I would make a perfect toilet, landing right on my arm, bird doo. Amazingly much that even bounced off, but the small amount that remained was quickly wiped off with a towel leaving no evidence of the incident. The repelling power of this jacket is guaranteed for 4 years. From my experience I don’t see you ever having to take them up on that promise.

102_1272.jpg

102_1275.jpg

Beyond the shell fabric, there are numerous little details that make this a high quality jacket. The inside has an X-static stretch liner. The fit is much nicer cut than previous jackets, probably because the X-static and FlexVent materials are much more flexible and breathable, they could make it a little tighter fitting, which is nice for the swing, no bulk to worry about. The sleeves have dual protection at the wrist. There is an inner neoprene like cuff that fits like an Under Armour cuff and then the outer Velcro cinching system to tighten the outer cuff as needed. Getting the sleeves on and off is much easier than previous models.

102_1274.jpg

102_1271.jpg

The pocket and center zipper are all sealed and use a thinner style zipper, which is also better than past models. They are very smooth with no bunching or binding. Inside the left pocket is a ball towel that comes in very handy on soggy days. Inside both pockets are mid-section synching bungees to help get a proper tight fit. The bottom of the jacket has the same bungee system to ensure that it doesn’t flap in the wind around your waist. The collar has two stiff inserts behind the neck that comfortably keep the collar standing up for rainy weather, but allow it to be folded down for normal wear.

While rain jackets are most useful in bad weather I found this jacket so comfortable and stylish that I wear it almost every day. I couldn’t find one negative aspect of this jacket. The only tiny thing would be that the main zipper is left handed, but that is barely worth mentioning.

Come wind, come rain, come cold weather, even bird poo, the Sunice Tornado Jacket is soft, comfortable and literally repels everything.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='PreppySlapCut' date='10 May 2010 - 09:48 AM' timestamp='1273502896' post='2432206']
The velcro on the sleeves is a deal-breaker for me.
[/quote]

I'm assuming you don't like velcro, but these are actually pretty slick. Soft velcro out, rougher/grippy side down to jacket. I rarely even change it, because the inside sleeve fits so nicely. I didn't have any issues with this velcro catching on anything else.

[quote name='rlheiman' date='10 May 2010 - 11:48 AM' timestamp='1273506538' post='2432385']
[quote name='PreppySlapCut' date='10 May 2010 - 09:48 AM' timestamp='1273502896' post='2432206']
The velcro on the sleeves is a deal-breaker for me.
[/quote]

I'm assuming you don't like velcro, but these are actually pretty slick. Soft velcro out, rougher/grippy side down to jacket. I rarely even change it, because the inside sleeve fits so nicely. I didn't have any issues with this velcro catching on anything else.
[/quote]
Its just cheap and doesn't last. If you're getting the stuff for free or heavily discounted than it's all good. But I refuse to pay retail for raingear with velcro. Its a nice looking jacket and I'm glad you're thrilled with your purchase. Just voicing my concerns. (not trying to crap on your thread either, my apologies if it came across that way)

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

No don't worry I didn't take it in a bad way, I respect your opinion, I was just trying to state that this velcro seems better than most. I agree I've had a bunch of different velco cuffs and usually hate them because they come undone and then stick to everything they shouldn't (fastest way to wreck a dry-fit polo). I'm just impressed by this velcro which just seems better. The only other option is elastic and that can sometime be good and sometime be bad too.

I was just looking at these online last night. TGW has a bunch of Sunice stuff for sale. How is the fit? If you are a Large in a golf shirt would you get a large jacket or XL?

Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus TR Blue 6x 
Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus Blue 8x
Titleist T200 Utility with Fuji Ventus Blue HB 9x
Miura TC201 4-6 & MC502 7-PW with Steelfiber 125x
Vokey SM9 Tour Chrome Wedges- 50F, 54S, & 58D with KBS $ Taper S Flex
Bettinardi Tour Issue BB0 Flow Prototype

• 3 years later...

Just picked up one of these Flexvent Jackets and it really is the muts nuts. Can't fault it at all, velcro and all it works a treat and is superb.

Recommended, especially for the wet Scottish all year round weather!

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-P Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 50/54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

[quote name='thecraw' timestamp='1391641929' post='8606061']
Just picked up one of these Flexvent Jackets and it really is the muts nuts. Can't fault it at all, velcro and all it works a treat and is superb.

[/quote]

Which one did you pick up if you don't mind me asking? Torn between the Havelock (Tornado) and the Redwood (Hurricane), but the Redwood is Gore Tex Paclite, which I think is not as breathable and noisier then the Flexvent. Have you worn this in the rain yet?

Also, how does the sizing work for you? I'm 6' and around 41" chest/34 waist, so probably sitting somewhere between medium and large. Can't find anywhere near me that stocks these jackets, so going to have to risk an online purchase, so would be good to get some feedback before I order.

[size=2][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][b]Fly-Z 9.5deg[/b][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][b]G20 5W 18deg[/b]
[b]Z U65 3/20deg[/b]
[b]Z 765 4-PW[/b]
[b]RTX-3 52/10[/b]
[b]RTX-3 58/12[/b]
[b]Karsten 1959 Anser 2[/b][/font][/size]

[quote name='Rickbo' timestamp='1391793552' post='8616789']

[/quote]

Which one did you pick up if you don't mind me asking? Torn between the Havelock (Tornado) and the Redwood (Hurricane), but the Redwood is Gore Tex Paclite, which I think is not as breathable and noisier then the Flexvent. Have you worn this in the rain yet?

Also, how does the sizing work for you? I'm 6' and around 41" chest/34 waist, so probably sitting somewhere between medium and large. Can't find anywhere near me that stocks these jackets, so going to have to risk an online purchase, so would be good to get some feedback before I order.
[/quote]

Contrary to popular believe Gore-tex breathes very well. The primary use for Gore is in medical applications such as stints. The roof over Wimbledon is made of a Gore material for instance. Mercedes uses Gore in their headlights so they don't fog up. The list goes on and on but Gore tests better than Tornado as far as MVT (how well the jacket breathes)

You would be a Large in the Tornado.

Goretex comes with a lifetime guarantee and the Tornado comes with a 4 year guarantee.

With all that being said I would go with anything in Tornado unless you plan to play in a hurricane. It just feels better on.

I sell Sunice FWIW

I used to have a jacket made with Gore GTX which was very good but I've heard that the Paclite stuff wasn't all that breathable though so can be an issue with sweating? Any advice is welcome!

[b]Z U65 3/20deg[/b]
[b]Z 765 4-PW[/b]
[b]RTX-3 52/10[/b]
[b]RTX-3 58/12[/b]

[quote name='Rickbo' timestamp='1391793552' post='8616789']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I own both models. I'm similar to you in that I run between a medium and a large most of the time. The Huricane was ordered from TGW a couple years ago and their size guide recommended a medium. It fits well but is just a little snug. It doesn't restrict my swing at all and is a great jacket.

On the other hand the Tornado was ordered from TGW last year. Based on their size guide, I purchased a large. It is a little lose in the mid-section but overall the fit is good. The fabric is much more flexible than the Hurricane and I've had no problems with water penetration (even playing in a heavy rain). I think the Hurricane is a bit more bulletproof but I prefer the feel of the Tornado's fabric. Because of this, my Hurricane sits on a hanger.

The Hurricane definitely has a hard shell feeling and the Tornado has a soft shell feeling. Individual tastes will obviously vary.

The only quirk I found is that the zipper pull is on the opposite side of what I'm accustomed to.

Either way, both are great jackets and you can't go wrong with either.

[quote name='Rickbo' timestamp='1391848016' post='8621603']
I used to have a jacket made with Gore GTX which was very good but I've heard that the Paclite stuff wasn't all that breathable though so can be an issue with sweating? Any advice is welcome!
[/quote]

The "normal" Gortex jacket is identical to the Paclite Goretex with the exception of a nylon inner liner. The liner tends to isolate you from the Gortex material. With the Paclite the Gortex liner actually makes contact with the skin so you get a plasticy sensation. The jacket still breathes perfectly however. The inner liner is simply left out to make the jacket lighter and easier to cram into your golf bag - hence the name Paclite.

Really useful advice guys. Thanks for your input. I'll go ahead and order the Tornado then as I prefer a softer feel.
The weather here's pretty poor at the moment - not quite monsoon conditions, so should be ok!

[b]Z U65 3/20deg[/b]
[b]Z 765 4-PW[/b]
[b]RTX-3 52/10[/b]
[b]RTX-3 58/12[/b]

I saw your pics and then had to go look in the closet, and realized I have one of the Tornado's...lol.

Is it really as water repellent as they claim? I've found it is great in the wind and light rain, but I always switch to a heavier coat (ie. Dryjoy Tour) when it really rains because I'm worried about the soft shell holding up.

[quote name='cdnrockies' timestamp='1391887125' post='8624231']
I saw your pics and then had to go look in the closet, and realized I have one of the Tornado's...lol.

Is it really as water repellent as they claim? I've found it is great in the wind and light rain, but I always switch to a heavier coat (ie. Dryjoy Tour) when it really rains because I'm worried about the soft shell holding up.
[/quote]

I'll let you know. Jacket should arrive tomorrow and with the weather in the UK being wet pretty much constantly right now, it shouldn't be long before I need to use it!

[b]Z U65 3/20deg[/b]
[b]Z 765 4-PW[/b]
[b]RTX-3 52/10[/b]
[b]RTX-3 58/12[/b]

[quote name='Rickbo' timestamp='1392036266' post='8635305']
[quote name='cdnrockies' timestamp='1391887125' post='8624231']

[/quote]

I'll let you know. Jacket should arrive tomorrow and with the weather in the UK being wet pretty much constantly right now, it shouldn't be long before I need to use it!
[/quote]

I have both the Tornado and Hurricane rain jackets. Both will protect you on rainy days. The Hurricane (which is Goretex) will tend to give a longer life (lifetime actually) since the protection is built into the material versus a coating which is on the Tornado. I wear my Tornado on light drizzly days as the material is very soft feeling compared to the Hurricane. Nonetheless Sunice makes great quality clothing. I have several of their pieces and am pleased with them all.

I went for the large and I'm a 42/44 and it fits fine.

I have just ordered another as I like to have a change of jacket if I'm playing 36 holes, nothing worse than pulling on a damp jacket after lunch, chills you to the core. I originally bought a Sunice Kenai smock which kept me bone dry round Machrihanish at the weekend in some horrendous conditions. 30 mph winds and, rain and hail. I love the quiet soft feel and its so comfortable.

Just ordered a Sunice Bowen jacket as well.

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-P Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 50/54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

Haha, typical! Just taken delivery of my jacket, looked out of the window and it's blue sky and sunshine for the first time in weeks!

The jacket looks and feels very nice as some of the other guys have already said. It's quite hard to imagine material being this soft and 100% waterproof! I've put it on and taken a few 'practice swings' in the office, which garnered me some quizzical looks. The sleeves are quite long but the body of the jacket fits pretty well. It could ever so slightly smaller around the waist but this is what you get for being between sizes, I guess! The drawstring waist should help in this respect and seems like very thoughtful design on the part of Sunice.

Only thing I've noticed is that some of the logos are different colours to what's on the Sunice website (Flexvent logo on the sleeve and Sunice logo on the back are white instead of red). Wondering if I've been shipped last year's (or even the year before's) model, or maybe just down to which factory it was manufactured in. In any case, it looks like an original so I won't worry until it starts leaking the moment I wear it in rain for the first time!

[b]Z U65 3/20deg[/b]
[b]Z 765 4-PW[/b]
[b]RTX-3 52/10[/b]
[b]RTX-3 58/12[/b]

I got the Havelock in black/grey. Took it down to the range tonight just to try it out and it really is nice.

I almost ordered another in blue. Think I'd get the same reaction though!

[b]Z U65 3/20deg[/b]
[b]Z 765 4-PW[/b]
[b]RTX-3 52/10[/b]
[b]RTX-3 58/12[/b]

Wish I could find this jacket for sale new. I like the subtle looks.

Cobra LTDx Max 10.5 Motore X F1
Cobra LTDx Max 15.5 Motore X F1
Cobra F6 Baffler 5-6 Tensei Blue 
Cobra F8 4h GD Tour ADDI
Honma TR21x 5-10 Nippon  NS Pro 950GH Neo S
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 60
Mack Made Jewel Slant Neck

[quote name='mattsuth87' timestamp='1392155399' post='8646713']
They are as waterproof as claimed.. Pants as well, I've been sprayed with a hose directly and not gotten wet. Over time they should be washed and applied with a dwr spray or wash in to maintain or restore the waterproofness because it does wear off after a while
[/quote]

Wash the jacket then put it in the dryer. That will help re activate the DWR.

I love Sunice. I have 1 shortsleeve 1/4 zip, a longsleeve windbreaker 1/4 zip, waterproof 1/4 zip, and full zip waterproof. All are fantastic. Three of them are "typhoon" w/ the full zip being "typhoon zephyl". I love the features on the waterproof jackets and the cut is really nice, good fit. Do any of you know where the typhoon series fit in the line of waterproof jackets and what about zephyl. TIA.

[quote name='ode1' timestamp='1392171021' post='8648753']
I love Sunice. I have 1 shortsleeve 1/4 zip, a longsleeve windbreaker 1/4 zip, waterproof 1/4 zip, and full zip waterproof. All are fantastic. Three of them are "typhoon" w/ the full zip being "typhoon zephyl". I love the features on the waterproof jackets and the cut is really nice, good fit. Do any of you know where the typhoon series fit in the line of waterproof jackets and what about zephyl. TIA.
[/quote]

I found a useful link to their product catalogue when I was researching what to buy:

http://issuu.com/jejduche/docs/sunice_usa_spring2013

A couple of pages in is a guide to the different fabrics/technologies available.

[b]Z U65 3/20deg[/b]
[b]Z 765 4-PW[/b]
[b]RTX-3 52/10[/b]
[b]RTX-3 58/12[/b]

[quote name='Rickbo' timestamp='1392199874' post='8650541']
[quote name='ode1' timestamp='1392171021' post='8648753']
[/quote]

I found a useful link to their product catalogue when I was researching what to buy:

[url="http://issuu.com/jejduche/docs/sunice_usa_spring2013"]http://issuu.com/jej..._usa_spring2013[/url]

A couple of pages in is a guide to the different fabrics/technologies available.
[/quote]

very nice, thx.