New Rules in Effect and clarification of Rules *Update 5/16*

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='JDCobra' date='17 May 2010 - 09:12 AM' timestamp='1274105571' post='2447087']
if you advertise a service on your site it should be for all members. otherwise that's discrimination.
[/quote]
Again, absolutely right. That's why some people are complimented by being told that they have "discriminating taste." Exclusionary tactics are used all the time. You can't smoke until you are 18. You can't drink until you are 21. That's discrimination as well, and it's done for a good reason. Just like the rule that is now in place saying you can't use the BST untl you make 75 quality posts. That's a pittance. A simple token to prove that you aren't a drive-by POS that is only in it for the money. Or are you really one of those drive-by pieces of sh!t that's only in it for the money? If you are, I'll speak for the membership when I say that we aren't going to miss you.

[quote name='JDCobra' date='17 May 2010 - 09:15 AM' timestamp='1274105711' post='2447091']
would'nt sell anything to you! your arrogance is nauseating!!
[/quote]

You've already said this. Thankfully, posts in this thread don't add to your count as we would have to report this one as blatant post padding. :rolleyes:

If you spent half the time making some decent posts elsewhere on the site that you have in this thread, you'd be close to 75 already. Instead, you continue to cry like a baby about something that you have no control of. Where were you when this was being discussed over the last 6 weeks? It's not like this is a revalation. And quite honestly, they were too LAX with this rule. It should be closer to 200 posts AND 6 months before you can sell along with a 6 month suspension of BST usage for those that can't seem to follow the rules when posting an ad. You're lucky the management is kindhearted and only made it 75 posts.

You still have the option of selling if you want to pay for it. What is your issue? Just pay 5 bucks if you don't want to post. Why don't you try thanking the site management for giving you a place to hock your wares instead of whining about the fact that you actually need to participate in the site in order to use a FREE service provided by them.

You can call me arrogant all you want. You're still a leach.

[i]EDIT: since you edited yours, I'll do the same. Ask the Mods or Site Admins here. I'm usually the FIRST person to question and challenge them regarding change to the site. I do it because I actually do care about this place. Richard and Ryan are going to tell you that we generally disagree more than we actually agree. That's hardly drinking the Kool-Aid.

I guess you also think that all ClubWRX benefits should apply to all members too? They pay for their benefits. You want free BST ads? Pay for them by making 75 decent posts in the forums. I know, it's such a huge price to pay.

Go back to sitting underneath your bare lightbulb in the basement writing angry letters to the government.[/i]

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

[quote name='JDCobra' date='17 May 2010 - 07:20 AM' timestamp='1274106020' post='2447100']
if you advertise a service on your site it should be for all members. otherwise that's discrimination.

would'nt sell anything to you! your arrogance is nauseating!!

You sound like a SUCKER period!!

Keep drinking the WRX kool-aid buddy. Sorry you feel upset by a little different point of view! If you advertise a service to members it should apply to all members!!
[/quote]

Are you kidding? It is available to all members. Quit trying to stir the pot. There are options for non-contributing members who just want to use the BST as their personal dumping ground.

Clearly you're in the minority here (you're the only one acting like an asshat).

I don't often agree with everything here, but this is one of the few things that clearly came about out of community feedback.

It all comes down to paradigms. There are obviously those who view this site as a place to talk and read up on golf that happens to have an area to buy, sell, or trade equipment and those who view it as a market to buy, sell, or trade with the occasional conversation going on. There is a 3 page thread of people agreeing to a very large extent that this change was necessary. Now, we've got the non voters only caring about the issue now that it's been changed.

Frankly, anyone claiming the site leadership to be oppressive, heavy handed, gestapo like, etc, just needs to be leave. You have no rights here. I love how people think that certain parts of certain historic documents apply to everything. You have no guaranteed freedoms on an internet site. You can leave at will. So do it.

I won't miss your 0 post 0 feedback posts of equipment you're hawking here and on every other site without a post count. You know what the amusing thing is? I don't see it listed on the sites with minimums that I also frequent. Apparently the post count rule works, exposes your intentions, and keeps you off. Now thankfully it will here too.

[quote name='JDCobra' date='17 May 2010 - 09:45 AM' timestamp='1274107519' post='2447153']
Open your eyes. It's a service provided on the forum, unfortunately not to all members.
[/quote]

Open yours. It's STILL a service provided on the forum. The only difference is that you have to pay for it.

OR,

You can make 75 quality posts in the forums and it will be free to you as well. Everyone can make 75 posts. They aren't discriminating. You simply have to earn it. There's too much entitlement in this world already.

Don't want to post? You can still use it. Join ClubWRX and you don't have to post a damned thing. Isn't it great to have options?

Go forth and post. You may find that you actually like reading the forums. :rolleyes:

[quote name='JDCobra' date='17 May 2010 - 10:45 AM' timestamp='1274107519' post='2447153']
Open your eyes. It's a service provided on the forum, unfortunately not to all members.
[/quote]

So what's your argument for why it has to be provided to all members? You just repeat the same thing, saying its discriminating is also not a strong statement at all.

[quote name='Redbird' date='17 May 2010 - 07:56 AM' timestamp='1274108210' post='2447183']
The $5 pay thing isn't going to solve a thing. If I'm gonna sell a $175 club and rip someone off $5 is a drop in the pot. That's the PP fees and if the seller and buyer agree to gift the money then the money they would have lost on their PP fees went to pay for the listing.
[/quote]
Good point.

I think it was mentioned in this thread that there really is no 100% way to stop a scammer, but given that most people have simply forgotten over the $5 ad insertion fee, I don't even know if people will even be aware of it.

[quote name='Redbird' date='17 May 2010 - 09:56 AM' timestamp='1274108210' post='2447183']
The $5 pay thing isn't going to solve a thing. If I'm gonna sell a $175 club and rip someone off $5 is a drop in the pot. That's the PP fees and if the seller and buyer agree to gift the money then the money they would have lost on their PP fees went to pay for the listing.
[/quote]

A $5 paypal payment sends the sellers address and contact info to the website. Just another way to keep the scammers in line. You aren't going to stop everyone, especially if they are called McLovin.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/187757-has-anyone-on-this-site-screwed-you-over/ :rolleyes:

[quote name='jon2' date='17 May 2010 - 10:08 AM' timestamp='1274108916' post='2447218']
[quote name='Redbird' date='17 May 2010 - 07:56 AM' timestamp='1274108210' post='2447183']
[/quote]
Good point.

I think it was mentioned in this thread that there really is no 100% way to stop a scammer, but given that most people have simply forgotten over the $5 ad insertion fee, I don't even know if people will even be aware of it.
[/quote]

Still, $5 fee, $35 ClubWRX subscription, there are ways to circumvent the post requirement right there and I'd gladly take $140 vs. $175 for a club I don't intend to ship, have your $35. You literally made a rule (75posts), and then gave the person a way to circumvent it and still rip someone off with a $5 or $35 buy in). My point is, what is the percentage of bad deals vs good deals to warrant the changes?

I still see this as less about bad deals and more about regulating the monster that is the BST.

It's bad enough that we get spammed with useless ads for non-golf stuff like a half box of Tampax, rings that a pawnbroker wouldn't even take, and other crap that people are too cheap to pay to list on eBay. More and more, you were seeing adds posted by members that "Joined: Today, xx:xx hours." Gee, welcome to the site. Way to introduce yourself!

Am I the only person that checks the b/s/t AFTER I read and post in the forums? Besides, I buy more than I sell anyway. How hard is it to post 75 posts before you are allowed to sell for free.

If this just becomes a haven for people to hock their wares, this site will die. You can use eBay, golfclubexchange, and plenty of other sites to sell clubs. The difference is that you have to pay for it. Why should this place be any different?

If you don't want to pay, post. What's worth more to you? 5 bucks, or participating on the board where you want to sell? Make your choice.

[quote name='JDCobra' date='15 May 2010 - 09:42 PM' timestamp='1273977771' post='2444102']
Guess you guys have enough members. I hope someone starts another site and forgets all about GolfWRX.
[/quote]
Now this is from left field...

ALmost every site I am on, and it's alot of them, has a minimum post cost for members to sell on the site. This is done to protect the members from people who create an account, and then post a for sale, then run off with the money.

Lots of things to be learned here. If you are reading the posts, post your thoughts or any observations or questions you have. That is what makes this site great is that there is literally no end to the amount of info that can be found and shared here. We have members from all fields who all have the same thing in common which is the love of golf.

Great work WRX

-Chris

[quote name='stage1350' date='17 May 2010 - 10:35 AM' timestamp='1274110514' post='2447296']
I still see this as less about bad deals and more about regulating the monster that is the BST.

It's bad enough that we get spammed with useless ads for non-golf stuff like a half box of Tampax, rings that a pawnbroker wouldn't even take, and other crap that people are too cheap to pay to list on eBay. More and more, you were seeing adds posted by members that "Joined: Today, xx:xx hours." Gee, welcome to the site. Way to introduce yourself!

Am I the only person that checks the b/s/t AFTER I read and post in the forums? Besides, I buy more than I sell anyway. How hard is it to post 75 posts before you are allowed to sell for free.

If this just becomes a haven for people to hock their wares, this site will die. You can use eBay, golfclubexchange, and plenty of other sites to sell clubs. The difference is that you have to pay for it. Why should this place be any different?

If you don't want to pay, post. What's worth more to you? 5 bucks, or participating on the board where you want to sell? Make your choice.
[/quote]

Then do one of two things. 1. Make a separate "Garage" section for all non golf related items or don't allow non-golf related items to be sold on the board period (I like this option better, they need to take it to ebay). 2. Eliminate BST all together and BST won't be an issue.

BST is a monster because of hoes and new equipment coming out every 6 months. It's the nature of the beast, it is what it is. If the site doesn't wanna deal with it, then eliminate BST.

Like I said, if I'm gonna rip you off I'll pay and not post and be done with it. $5 is like tipping the site for allowing me to serve you a lesson if getting jacked.

[quote name='Redbird' date='17 May 2010 - 08:55 AM' timestamp='1274111745' post='2447368']
[quote name='stage1350' date='17 May 2010 - 10:35 AM' timestamp='1274110514' post='2447296']

[/quote]

Then do one of two things. 1. Make a separate "Garage" section for all non golf related items or not allow golf related items to be sold on the board period. 2. Eliminate BST all together and BST won't be an issue.

BST is a monster because of hoes and new equipment coming out every 6 months. It's the nature of the beast, it is what it is. If the site doesn't wanna deal with it, then eliminate BST.

Like I said, if I'm gonna rip you off I'll pay and not post and be done with it. $5 is like tipping the site for allowing me to serve you a lesson if getting jacked.
[/quote]

You're outlining a problem that occurs everywhere. Ebay is no different. People cut and run all the time, but at least if someone goes sideways here, there is some sort of record of their contact information.

It's been said over and over again... you can't stop all scammers. You can stop a few (maybe they'll go to other boards) and you can deter most of them, but if someone really wants to rip people off, they'll find a way.

[quote name='jon2' date='17 May 2010 - 11:02 AM' timestamp='1274112142' post='2447384']
[quote name='Redbird' date='17 May 2010 - 08:55 AM' timestamp='1274111745' post='2447368']

[/quote]

Then do one of two things. 1. Make a separate "Garage" section for all non golf related items or not allow golf related items to be sold on the board period. 2. Eliminate BST all together and BST won't be an issue.

[/quote]

It's been said over and over again... you can't stop all scammers. You can stop a few (maybe they'll go to other boards) and you can deter most of them, but if someone really wants to rip people off, they'll find a way.
[/quote]

Like I said, I don't think the answer then is making a post requirement rule to avoid scammers and regulate BST and then create a clear way to circumvent the rule by paying the site to do so. Are you trying to prevent scammers, generate a new revenue stream, or attempt to regulate the BST. You aren't doing all three, like you said, if I wanna rip someone off I'm gonna, there isn't a thing you can do to stop me.

As someone new to the site, and understanding the participation is key to a site such as this, I don't have any problem with the 75 post minimum before being able to participate in the BST. I do have a question about the gifting issue though, because I merely saw it on a lot of other sales on the BST towards the end of last week and didn't know what it was all about.

Are we basically saying if you sell something on here to invoice the person on Paypal and then you'll get the money after paying the Paypal fee? Since we'd all agree that it's nice to have a free service for selling/buying clubs on here without having to use Ebay (which i'm sure the rules are much stricter there), I'm not sure I'd understand why you'd require invoicing on Paypal to charge what could be a free service, especially since it's not a GolfWRX fee.

[quote name='Redbird' date='17 May 2010 - 09:10 AM' timestamp='1274112649' post='2447398']
Like I said, I don't think the answer then is making a post requirement rule to avoid scammers and regulate BST and then create a clear way to circumvent the rule by paying the site to do so. Are you trying to prevent scammers, generate a new revenue stream, or attempt to regulate the BST. You aren't doing all three, like you said, if I wanna rip someone off I'm gonna, there isn't a thing you can do to stop me.
[/quote]

Any suggestions then? I'm just curious as to what you think a better alternative is.

I just think there is absolutely no way to make it 100% safe and this is probably the best compromise between anything else.

I like the new post count rule. I did grow tired of seeing ads in the BST with no pictures or no price... because member 108,972 is only here to dump his junk or ask for paypal gifted. I know it sucks that it'll slow down the amount of stuff posted, but I'd rather have less stuff, but more quality sellers. That's just me though.

[quote name='Djuga06' date='17 May 2010 - 09:16 AM' timestamp='1274113006' post='2447413']
Are we basically saying if you sell something on here to invoice the person on Paypal and then you'll get the money after paying the Paypal fee? Since we'd all agree that it's nice to have a free service for selling/buying clubs on here without having to use Ebay (which i'm sure the rules are much stricter there), I'm not sure I'd understand why you'd require invoicing on Paypal to charge what could be a free service, especially since it's not a GolfWRX fee.
[/quote]

Gifting is the practice of sending money through paypal and marking it as a gift. You are not charged the 3% paypal fee and you forfeit any buyer protection... because you know, it was a gift. If you want to get paid via paypal, send someone your paypal email and have them send the money. No invoicing required.

It's moronic to open yourself up to that as a buyer (especially if it's someone you don't know or fully trust).

Personally, I'd probably do it for a couple handful of people here who I have an established rapport with. It's just too easy for someone to run off with your money and say you gave them the money because you're a nice guy.

I don't have anything constructive to add to the conversation aside from applause for taking a stance on Paypal gifting demands. Keep up the great work on this site.

Callaway FT-iZ 11*, TEE XCG-V 16.5*
Wilson Fybrid 19.5*, Adams Pro Gold 23*
Callaway FT 5-9
Ping Tour-W 47*, 54*, 58*, 64*
Yes! Sophia
Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow

[quote name='Djuga06' date='17 May 2010 - 11:16 AM' timestamp='1274113006' post='2447413']
As someone new to the site, and understanding the participation is key to a site such as this, I don't have any problem with the 75 post minimum before being able to participate in the BST. I do have a question about the gifting issue though, because I merely saw it on a lot of other sales on the BST towards the end of last week and didn't know what it was all about.

[/quote]
Paypal gifted is about the equivalent of paying for something via Western Union. Zero recourse.

Now there are some people that I will pay with a gift, but it's because I've done business with them previously and they have proven to be stand up guys. For them, I'll take the risk. They can still screw me over, but that can occur with anyone you trust.

The reality is that we use the WRX BST to avoid eBay fees and gifting is to avoid PayPal fees.

[quote name='jon2' date='17 May 2010 - 11:21 AM' timestamp='1274113318' post='2447427']
[quote name='Redbird' date='17 May 2010 - 09:10 AM' timestamp='1274112649' post='2447398']
[/quote]

Any suggestions then? I'm just curious as to what you think a better alternative is.

I just think there is absolutely no way to make it 100% safe and this is probably the best compromise between anything else.

I like the new post count rule. I did grow tired of seeing ads in the BST with no pictures or no price... [b]because member 108,972 is only here to dump his junk or ask for paypal gifted. [/b]I know it sucks that it'll slow down the amount of stuff posted, but I'd rather have less stuff, but more quality sellers. That's just me though.
[/quote]

Jon's bolded part is the main push behind this. Join at 8AM, selling by 8:05. C'mon, man! Most sites have a minimum post count for this exact reason. We aren't here to have you sell sh!t and leave until the next time. This is a forum. Have enough respect for the members and the board to join in and participate.

If you don't want to post, then pay to list here. And if you don't want to pay either, get the hell out of here.

Can it be simpler than that?

[quote name='Djuga06' date='17 May 2010 - 09:16 AM' timestamp='1274113006' post='2447413']

[/quote]

It's actually a violation of the PayPal User Agreement to ask for a Personal Payment (gift) in exchange for goods/services.

" [b]4. Receiving Money.[/b] [b]4.1 Receiving Personal Payments.
[/b]
If you are selling goods or services, you may not ask the buyer to send you a Personal Payment for the purchase. If you do so, PayPal may remove your ability to accept Personal Payments."

Sellers here are probably lucky that they aren't being reported. Or they are and we just haven't heard about it.

Callaway FT 5-9
Yes! Sophia

[quote name='Djuga06' date='17 May 2010 - 10:23 AM' timestamp='1274117012' post='2447591']
I appreciate that info Ben, I'm usually the one on PayPal buying and not selling so all of that was new to me. It's just a matter of sending an invoice to the potential buyer or requesting the send you a payment for purchase, yes?
[/quote]

Either, yes.

Callaway FT 5-9
Yes! Sophia

[quote name='Stinger82' date='15 May 2010 - 09:47 PM' timestamp='1273978074' post='2444113']
[quote name='JDCobra' date='15 May 2010 - 10:42 PM' timestamp='1273977771' post='2444102']
Guess you guys have enough members. I hope someone starts another site and forgets all about GolfWRX.
[/quote]

Seriously? All they ask is that people "contribute" a little to the site. The BST is free and it is a privilege it is not a right YOU are given. Go make some meaningful posts and then you can use the BST. If you decide not to start posting...wel then stop complaining!
[/quote]

Define "contribution". I saw a guy comment in this thread who had 30 posts and over 20 positive feedback. Has he not contributed by selling and buying gear that people were obviously pleased with? I see the theory behind the rule but I'm not sure in practice it will accomplish it's goal. Many things look good in theory but fall apart in practice. Why 75? Seems like such an arbitrary number. What happens to a person once they have 75 posts? They don't automatically become honest if they're a dishonest person to begin with.

[quote name='jon2' date='17 May 2010 - 11:21 AM' timestamp='1274113318' post='2447427']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Stick with a post count and make that the [b]only [/b]requirement (19th hole excluded). Make them stick around a while and weed out the dump and runners. Don't make a post count rule in order to sell and then follow that with a way to pay your way out of it with peanuts. If that's the case then I question the intent of all of this.

Also, I would eliminate the sale of any non-golf related items. There is no place for anyone who comes to this site to unload a waffle iron.

Actually, I like the idea of Post + FB = 75 in order to B/S/T rather than just posts. Heck, everytime someone posts, "PM sent" or "All PM's answered" it adds to their total. Does that really have any value added to the "community"?

But, then again- trying to get feedback- especially from "seasoned" sellers is hard to enforce. You can leave +FB and ask for it in return- and you get nothing. I would think that it would be something of more value than "posts".

My question is, once I post to the "hot topic" forum and pay my $5 and send you an email stating it's ready to be moved into the b/S/t. Now are the "moderators" notified that it is a "GOOD" B/S/T Ad? Is it maked as "SAFE" in any way? Has this been thought out?

I can see SEVERAL MEMBERS hitting the "REPORT" botton with under 75 posts. OR, sending a BOGUS PM saying - "only over 75 posts can you B/S/T" or something to that effect. Which adds to their total "posts".

Please let me know, and thanks once again for your time.

[quote name='Redbird' date='17 May 2010 - 12:57 PM' timestamp='1274119070' post='2447687']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Stick with a post count and make that the [b]only [/b]requirement (19th hole excluded). Make them stick around a while and weed out the dump and runners. Don't make a post count rule in order to sell and then follow that with a way to pay your way out of it with peanuts. If that's the case then I question the intent of all of this.

Also, I would eliminate the sale of any non-golf related items. [b]There is no place for anyone who comes to this site to unload a waffle iron.[/b][/quote]

I can't disagree with a thing you have posted here, especially the bolded part. ;)

I would also make an exception for those who have been here awhile, yet read more than post, yes they do sell alot, but the are good sellers. So take into account their PC and previous feedback. If someone has a PC of 40 and a feedback score of 43, then let them sell, these are not the people this rule is intended for.

[quote name='stage1350' date='17 May 2010 - 01:03 PM' timestamp='1274119435' post='2447710']
[quote name='Redbird' date='17 May 2010 - 12:57 PM' timestamp='1274119070' post='2447687']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Also, I would eliminate the sale of any non-golf related items. [b]There is no place for anyone who comes to this site to unload a waffle iron.[/b][/quote]

I can't disagree with a thing you have posted here, especially the bolded part. ;)
[/quote]

Yeah, that part kind of annoys me on sites. I don't care if you have over 5000 posts, WTF are you selling PS3 games on a car board. TAKE IT TO EBAY!