WITB Tiger Woods (merged) Updated Post 1 6/5/2012

Gxgolfer

[quote name='tembolo1284' date='13 July 2010 - 07:34 PM' timestamp='1279046078' post='2573348']
If he bags it this week and wins the Open Championship with it...poor Scotty Cameron owners around the world!
[/quote]

Don't hold onto too much hope there....no way TW wins if the wind gets up this week...

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 10.5 Driver/MCA Vanquish 4 Stiff
Titleist TSR2+ 13.0 degree 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Ping G430 LST 3 wood/15.0 degree (@ 17) 3 wood/Ping Chrome Tour 2.0 Stiff (for now..)
Ping G430 22.0 degree 4 hybrid/MCA Kai’Li White HY 80 Stiff
Taylormade P790 2021 5-PW irons/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 50 degree SB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 54 degree HB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Taylormade MG3 58 degree LB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Odyssey White Hot OG 7 Bird 34” putter/Stroke Lab double bend shaft
Taylormade TP5x/Titleist Pro V1x ball

Vessel/Cobra Tour bag 2022

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='tembolo1284' date='13 July 2010 - 02:34 PM' timestamp='1279046078' post='2573348']
If he bags it this week and wins the Open Championship with it...poor Scotty Cameron owners around the world!
[/quote]

I may be speaking for myself here, but I'm pretty sure I'll still love my Scotty regardless of what Tiger putts with.

Is Woods playing another ball just for him? If so, would it be closer to the Tour D or the Tour

Ping G400 LST 8.5 w/ Tensei Orange 70TX tipped 1" 
Titleist 917 F3 15 w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.2TS X tipped 1"
Callaway X Forged UT 18 w/ KBS $-Taper X
Mizuno MP-25 4-W w/ C-Taper X
Taylormade Tour Preferred EF Chrome 52/56 w/ KBS Tour S
Taylormade High Toe 60 w/ KBS 610
Odyssey 7

[quote name='garth.diesel' date='13 July 2010 - 09:10 PM' timestamp='1279048206' post='2573452']
Is Woods playing another ball just for him? If so, would it be closer to the Tour D or the Tour
[/quote]

from what i heard his new ball has the same construction as the tour D so i guess just 3 piece.... maybe slightly softer outer core compared to the retail???

I know it all comes down to winning. And Tiger is all about winning. But he switched to Nike irons and clubs when he was the #1 player in the world, there is nothing to say that he might not switch out his putter too.

And after all that Tiger has been through the past few months, with several sponsors dropping him, perhaps he wants to show Nike some appreciation for sticking by his side.

[quote name='RacineBoxer' date='14 July 2010 - 02:05 PM' timestamp='1279130759' post='2575718']
I know it all comes down to winning. And Tiger is all about winning. But he switched to Nike irons and clubs when he was the #1 player in the world, there is nothing to say that he might not switch out his putter too.

And after all that Tiger has been through the past few months, with several sponsors dropping him, perhaps he wants to show Nike some appreciation for sticking by his side.
[/quote]
Nike has a number of other very good players, and Tiger has been on the back burner, but Tiger is still Nike Golf.

Nike needs Tiger at least as much as Tiger needs Nike.

If Tiger was putting well, the Scotty wouldn't be going anywhere. Remember, even though Tiger left Titleist, it took [i]years[/i] for Nike to take over his bag. He won't switch unless he thinks the switch will help him win. It simply isn't in his character to think any other way.

Tiger Woods has been using the same Scotty Cameron Newport putter since 1999, winning 13 major championships with it. But Tiger confirmed in his press conference on Tuesday that he is making a switch this week at the Open Championship.

Woods said that this week he is going with a Nike Method 001 putter. It is the same model Stewart Cink used to win the 2009 British Open at Turnberry and Lucas Glover used to win the 2009 U.S. Open at Bethpage.

"I have always struggled on slower greens," Woods said. "This week I have not had to make that much of an adjustment because the ball is coming off the face a little quicker."

Woods's Method 001 was built to match the specifications of his Cameron putter, with an identical lie angle, single alignment dot on the head and a Ping grip.

But according to Rick Nichols, Nike Golf's tour field manager, the putter has the standard loft for a Method putter, 2.5°. That's about 1° less loft than Woods's Cameron putter.

Nichols also said that Woods has given Nike input on the Method putters since their inception almost two years ago. In fact, he said that Tiger's back-up putter—to be used if his Cameron was damaged—has been a Method 001.

The grooves in the face of the Method putters are partially filled with a polymer to soften feel. However, the exposed metal area within the grooves is designed to grab the ball and get it rolling on the ground more quickly.

"I've always been tempted to change my putter on slower greens," Woods said. "I've always experimented with other putters throughout the years, but I never put one in play."

TWMethod1.jpg

TWMethod.jpg

Tiger Woods prepared for his final round of the 2010 Open Championship using his old Scotty Cameron for Titleist Newport 2 putter. It is the same putter that Tiger had used at every event since the 1999 Byron Nelson Championship and to win 13 of his 14 major championship.

Woods had raised eyebrows earlier this week by announcing that he'd be using a Nike Method 001 putter this week at St. Andrews. He said that he made the switch because he had always had trouble with slow greens like those of the Old Course, and the ball comes off the face of the Nike putter faster so he would not need to make as many compensations in his stroke.

Through three rounds Tiger has taken 54 putts, including two three-putts on Friday and three three-putts on Saturday.

TWScotty1.jpg

TWScotty.jpg

[quote name='tembolo1284' date='13 July 2010 - 02:34 PM' timestamp='1279046078' post='2573348']
[/quote]

As I said the other day, I wouldn't be too upset. But after he switched back to his trusty Scotty on Sunday, I felt bad for all those golfers who went out and bought a Method after this thread was started.

[quote name='Djuga06' date='19 July 2010 - 08:37 AM' timestamp='1279543078' post='2585387']
[/quote]

As I said the other day, I wouldn't be too upset. But after he switched back to his trusty Scotty on Sunday, I felt bad for all those golfers who went out and bought a Method after this thread was started.
[/quote]

Very funny, but very true as well! I hope he just sticks to what he knows works...and puts it all together soon. Nice to see him win and make history.

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

Tiger Woods' putter switch - from a Scotty Cameron model he'd used since 1999 to a new Nike Method flat stick - was the big equipment news from The Open Championship.

"It comes off faster, which on these greens is something that I've always struggled on slower greens," Woods said of the new putter. "I haven't had to make that much of an adjustment because the ball is coming off a little bit quicker."

The Nike putter is similar in style to Woods' Scotty Cameron Newport 2 putter that he used to win all but one of his majors, down to the Ping grip with the words blacked out. Nike has been trying for years to get Woods to switch - after all, the putter has been the only item in his bag without a swoosh - but Woods resisted until now.

After 32, 32 and 35 putts per round in the first three days at St. Andrews, Woods switched back to the Cameron and took just 27 putts.

"The greens are a little bit faster than they were the first day. I just didn't feel comfortable with my speed, so I went back to my old putter," Woods said.

• 3 weeks later...

At the Open Championship, Tiger Woods drew attention when he put a Nike Method putter into play. After using a Scotty Cameron Newport model for more than a decade, the switch was newsworthy. And when Woods changed back to his trusty Cameron putter over the weekend, it seemed the Nike putter was simply a failed experiment.

Woods confirmed it at Firestone.

"I've gone back to my old one. I know all the numbers show that the Method putter does roll the ball better," he said. "But I went back to something that I'm familiar with and had good results with."

After shooting a mediocre 74-72-75-77 at Firestone, a course he'd previously dominated, Woods flew to Whistling Straits to begin preparation for this week's PGA Championship.

Monday photos from his practice round show a slightly different Scotty Cameron putter, however. Woods has a Newport model with a bright red Winn grip and different alignment aid - a sight line instead of a dot.

[quote name='The Gachet' timestamp='1281440307' post='2629658']
At the Open Championship, Tiger Woods drew attention when he put a Nike Method putter into play. After using a Scotty Cameron Newport model for more than a decade, the switch was newsworthy. And when Woods changed back to his trusty Cameron putter over the weekend, it seemed the Nike putter was simply a failed experiment.

Woods confirmed it at Firestone.

"I've gone back to my old one. I know all the numbers show that the Method putter does roll the ball better," he said. "But I went back to something that I'm familiar with and had good results with."

After shooting a mediocre 74-72-75-77 at Firestone, a course he'd previously dominated, Woods flew to Whistling Straits to begin preparation for this week's PGA Championship.

Monday photos from his practice round show a slightly different Scotty Cameron putter, however. Woods has a Newport model with a bright red Winn grip and different alignment aid - a sight line instead of a dot.
[/quote]

from TW press conference 8/10/10

The red gripped Scotty Cameron is his practice putter which Stevie mistakenly brought to the course.

Tiger Woods, who took 128 putts in four rounds last week en route to a tie for 78th at the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational, missed out on some much-needed practice with his tournament putter on Monday.

His caddie, Steve Williams, accidentally put a training putter in the bag for Monday's round. Woods said they were "too lazy" to go back and get the Scotty Cameron model that he usually uses in tournaments.

In the photos below, Woods is shown during Monday's practice round at Whistling Straits, left, and during Sunday's final round at the Bridgestone.

TWPutters.jpg

His normal putter, with the black Ping grip, was back in the bag on Tuesday.

TW2010-2.jpg

why have a practice putter though? its all about feel. why wouldnt you want to use what you will be putting in to play?

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At the last tournament Tiger Woods played across the pond, the 2010 British Open, he surprised a lot of golf fans by using a Nike Method 001 putter instead of the trusty Scotty Cameron he'd used to win 13 of his major championships. Woods explained that he'd always had trouble putting on slow greens, and he felt that the Nike putter would help him handle to greens at St. Andrews more effectively.

The experiment lasted three days, and Woods switched back to the Scotty Cameron putter for the final round.

This week at Celtic Manor, as he and his teammates prepare to defend the Ryder Cup, Woods has been spotted not only using his heel-toe weighted Scotty Cameron Newport 2 putter (left in photo), but also a Nike Method 003 putter, a mid-size mallet (right in photo).

TWNikePutter.jpg

We'll have to wait and see which putter makes its way into Woods's bag on Friday.

[quote name='Minarets' timestamp='1281467829' post='2630628']
why have a practice putter though? its all about feel. why wouldnt you want to use what you will be putting in to play?
[/quote]

If I remember, it was said to be because it has a 'buzzer' device on it, so he knows how firm to grip was. Back when he was a am, and early on in his professional career he had a extremely strong putting grip. It was incorporated by Butch, correct me if i'm wrong, to show him the actual / proper grip.

[quote name='Laneo' timestamp='1285785380' post='2720152']
[quote name='Minarets' timestamp='1281467829' post='2630628']
[/quote]

If I remember, it was said to be because it has a 'buzzer' device on it, so he knows how firm to grip was. Back when he was a am, and early on in his professional career he had a extremely strong putting grip. It was incorporated by Butch, correct me if i'm wrong, to show him the actual / proper grip.
[/quote]

Sounds pretty correct to me.