2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

WITB Tiger Woods (merged) Updated Post 1 6/5/2012

Gxgolfer

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lower you hit it, the quicker it gets to the rough and stops before OB!!! I'd use the WB too if I had tiger's swing problems. If he'd fix his driver the rest of his game looked pretty good. Except putting on Sunday, of course. Oh well, at least he didn't pull a Dustin Johnson and embarrass himself Sunday...

Callaway Paradym 12* (-1Std) Autoflex SF505X

Callaway Paradym Heavenwood

Ping G425M 20.5* Tensei Raw Org 75S

Ping G425 22* ADIZ85S

Ping G425 26* ADIZ85S

T100S 6-7 (1* weak) Aerotech FC115

T100 8-PW  Aerotech FC115

Titleist T100 50*  Aerotech FC115

Vokey SM8 54.12D/58.8M Aerotech FC115
SC Champ Choice Newport 2 Stability Shaft Tour

I heard they said that Tiger uses one of softest golf ball on tour to promote a higher spin??

COBRA LTDx LS 9* 

Taylormade P790 2 Iron
Taylormade P790 3 - 4 Irons 
Taylormade P750 5 - 6 Irons 
Taylormade P730 7 - 9 Irons
ARTISAN GOLF 0318 mallet

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 45* wedge 

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 50* wedge
ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 55* wedge

[quote name='u05wh2' date='22 June 2010 - 02:44 AM' timestamp='1277189046' post='2525425']
[quote name='whcwhc' date='22 June 2010 - 02:59 AM' timestamp='1277171945' post='2524923']
I heard they said that Tiger uses one of softest golf ball on tour to promote a higher spin??
[/quote]

They did keep going on about Tiger's 'soft ball' and how much it spins on the coverage I was watching.
[/quote]

Yep, a few Shore D points softer to promote spin.

If Tiger played a Nike Power Distance ball, he'd be unbeatable.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 8.5° Driver == Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade 2017 M2 Tour 15° FW == Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
Titleist 816H2 19° Hybrid == Veylix Rome 988 S+
Miura 1957 Small Blade 4-PW Irons == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 50°, 54°, 58° Custom Wedges == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Scotty Cameron "Cameron & Crown" M2 Putter
Nike RZN Tour Black Golf Balls

This is something a lot of people forget when they comment on how he's not as long. He loses some distance because of it but it also doesn't help his sideways drives off the tee. I'd like to see him play the One Tour D and see how he does.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[quote name='acquadiice' date='23 June 2010 - 01:16 PM' timestamp='1277320568' post='2528472']<br />im sure tiger is using a prototype ball ?<br />[/quote]<br /><br /><br />

As posted above, I suppose you could consider it a 'prototype' but from what I've heard it's the same ball simply with a softer cover than offered at retail.

[quote name='Nike Markiie' date='24 June 2010 - 12:08 AM' timestamp='1277352498' post='2529327']
Perhaps Nike is coming out with a new ball hence why the Nike One Tour and Nike One Tour D are selling for a discounted price? Maybe that's the ball Tiger is playing currently?
[/quote]

He's the only guy on tour playing it, I strongly doubt it will be coming to retail.

[quote name='Midnightexpress' date='24 June 2010 - 03:44 PM' timestamp='1277408658' post='2530638']
i agree.... if you cant buy it off the shelves at a golf shop, it shouldnt be used on tour. balls or clubs.
[/quote]

How do you think that it even makes it to the shelves of a golf shop? There are tons of players on Tour playing prototype, or "tour" equipment for the purpose of releasing it to the mass market once it has been tested in competition. You couldn't just waltz into Dick's and purchase Lehman Box Toe 300's, TM 510DF, Titleist F3-05, or other prototype equipment. At one point, there were 4 different versions of the Pro V1 that were on tour at the same time. This type of testing has to be done before products hit retail.

Therefore, if TW liked an iteration of the Nike ball that's designated as a prototype, but Paul Casey liked the one that was released to retail, why do you have a problem with that?

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 8.5° Driver == Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade 2017 M2 Tour 15° FW == Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
Titleist 816H2 19° Hybrid == Veylix Rome 988 S+
Miura 1957 Small Blade 4-PW Irons == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 50°, 54°, 58° Custom Wedges == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Scotty Cameron "Cameron & Crown" M2 Putter
Nike RZN Tour Black Golf Balls

[quote name='OnFire' date='24 June 2010 - 03:07 PM' timestamp='1277406436' post='2530564']

This sort of stuff should be ILLEGAL. Sorry, it's just a sort of ethical and rules issue it appears to me. If an amateur or even another pro wants to use that ball and they can't and they lose out to Tiger, I don't know...seems kinda odd to me.
[/quote]
Why?

If they want to sign with Nike that's one thing. Otherwise I don't see any reason Nike should be required to share their product with everyone.

As for buying it in your store, where do you think a lot of the R&D that goes into YOUR ball is actually done? As long as the ball meets the same rules as mine, I don't care if I can buy it.

[quote name='MBA-J' date='24 June 2010 - 03:06 PM' timestamp='1277413615' post='2530811']

Why?

If they want to sign with Nike that's one thing. Otherwise I don't see any reason Nike should be required to share their product with everyone.

As for buying it in your store, where do you think a lot of the R&D that goes into YOUR ball is actually done? As long as the ball meets the same rules as mine, I don't care if I can buy it.
[/quote]

Does that logic apply to other sports? I play hockey. I can go buy a stick and skates exactly like Gaborik wears. I can buy a bat like Mauer and Shoes like Lebron; rackets that Federer uses and so on.

This should be an obvious issue to any sensible person. I've had this issue ever since Tiger started using his first "prototype" ball with Nike. I was like huh?!?! If I want to qualify for an Open but don't have access to this "prototype" (read: closed off to anyone who is not superior) equipment that's not an obvious violation of my right to have an even try at the US Open? This is fishy. :huh:

[quote name='OnFire' date='25 June 2010 - 02:07 AM' timestamp='1277446060' post='2531834']

Does that logic apply to other sports? I play hockey. I can go buy a stick and skates exactly like Gaborik wears. I can buy a bat like Mauer and Shoes like Lebron; rackets that Federer uses and so on.

This should be an obvious issue to any sensible person. I've had this issue ever since Tiger started using his first "prototype" ball with Nike. I was like huh?!?! If I want to qualify for an Open but don't have access to this "prototype" (read: closed off to anyone who is not superior) equipment that's not an obvious violation of my right to have an even try at the US Open? This is fishy. :huh:
[/quote]
First of all, it depends on who your sponsor is in every sport. There is absolutely no logical reason why anyone sponsored by another brand should have access to Nike prototypes. Same with shoes - a Nike player can't wear Adidas' latest and greatest.

Second, if you don't believe there are prototype tennis rackets, graphite hockey shafts and skates you're kidding yourself. Many times the skates etc. are available to the public months later; sometimes not.

Third, what makes you think you have a right to an "even" try at the Open? You don't have that right. You have a right to play by the same rules as any other player. Tiger's proto meets the rules and that is [b]all[/b] you are guaranteed.

BTW, gonna have to side with Head on this one, Nike and TW don't owe anyone anything, except Tiger of course. He [u]IS[/u] Nike Golf. You wanna supercool prototype, win 14 majors, Nike has the right to refuse you anything, be it shoes, shirts, balls, clubs, you name it...Of course they won't, because they want the free publicity if you make a run, but you're not gonna get a Proto ball that only Tiger has just because you want one...

Callaway Paradym 12* (-1Std) Autoflex SF505X

Callaway Paradym Heavenwood

Ping G425M 20.5* Tensei Raw Org 75S

Ping G425 22* ADIZ85S

Ping G425 26* ADIZ85S

T100S 6-7 (1* weak) Aerotech FC115

T100 8-PW  Aerotech FC115

Titleist T100 50*  Aerotech FC115

Vokey SM8 54.12D/58.8M Aerotech FC115
SC Champ Choice Newport 2 Stability Shaft Tour

I am not only a golf equipment fan but also a shoe fanatic... and let me tell you the shoes you see on the court in the NBA are often NOT available in stores. Most of the shoes are retail, but the fact is there are some "tour" issued sneakers out there. Dirk Nowitzki liked a certain nike shoe (Huarache 2k4) but not the ankle strap... Boom he has a pair made without the ankle strap. Could we buy it? No.
The rules of golf are made so that no player has an advantage over another. As long as Tiger's ball isnt remote controlled (and Dirk's shoes dont have rocket boosters), there is no argument. Nike knows that the ball isnt profitable to bring to retail when there is such a similar version stacked five boxes deep at most stores.

Cobra F8+ ProjectX HZRDUS Black 6.0
Nike VR Pro Ltd. Edition 15 ProjectX 6.0
Titleist 716 TMB 3 Iron, TT Dynamic Gold AMT
Nike Forged Blades (Original) 3-PW TT DG S300
Titleist Vokey 54 58 DG S400
Scotty Cameron Del Mar 3.5

[quote name='tomjohn10' date='26 June 2010 - 02:03 PM' timestamp='1277575424' post='2538171']
I am not only a golf equipment fan but also a shoe fanatic... and let me tell you the shoes you see on the court in the NBA are often NOT available in stores. Most of the shoes are retail, but the fact is there are some "tour" issued sneakers out there. Dirk Nowitzki liked a certain nike shoe (Huarache 2k4) but not the ankle strap... Boom he has a pair made without the ankle strap. Could we buy it? No.
The rules of golf are made so that no player has an advantage over another. As long as Tiger's ball isnt remote controlled (and Dirk's shoes dont have rocket boosters), there is no argument. Nike knows that the ball isnt profitable to bring to retail when there is such a similar version stacked five boxes deep at most stores.
[/quote]

I completely agree, the previous post is just assuming things about other sports like basketball and tennis when it is obvious that he has no knowledge on the subject. You think that you can go to a tennis shop and buy Federer's "exact" racquet, give me a break! Lebron's shoes! :russian_roulette:

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

[quote name='OnFire' date='24 June 2010 - 11:07 PM' timestamp='1277446060' post='2531834']
[quote name='MBA-J' date='24 June 2010 - 03:06 PM' timestamp='1277413615' post='2530811']
Why?

[/quote]

Does that logic apply to other sports?[b] I play hockey. I can go buy a stick and skates exactly like Gaborik wears. [/b]I can buy a bat like Mauer and Shoes like Lebron; rackets that Federer uses and so on.

[/quote]

You may play hockey but if you think you can buy skates and sticks EXACTLY like Gaborik or any other NHLer gets you're mistaken. Not sure about those other sports you pointed out but I know for sure in the hockey world that you can't buy from a retailer exactly what the pros are getting. I'm very, very familiar with the hockey industry and have known a lot of reps over the years. In some cases you can custom order a skate with some of the same features but don't be fooled in thinking that any of the brands are going to make a skate for you like they do for their pros.

Go to an end of the season equipment sale if you have a local NHL club and take a look at the differences - some are obvious while some are subtle but 90% of what you will see is not what you will find on the shelves of your LHS (local hockey store).

Back to your point about prototype equipment. I agree that if it's not available to all it should not be legal to play until it is - just to have a "level" playing field. How many people would actually benefit playing something catered toward a single pesron, i don't know, but at least they would have the opportunity to use it.

prototypes are available to the public in limited supply of course. you just have to pay a ton of money for them.........

[b][u]WITB:[/u][/b]

[b]Taylormade M3[/b] 9.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70-TX tipped 1 1/2 in.

[b]Taylormade SLDR Mini-Driver[/b] 12* Matrix Black 8M3 tipped 1 1/2 in.

[b]Taylormade P790[/b] 2-5i DG Tour Issue X100

[b]Taylormade P730[/b] 6-PW DG Tour Issue X100

[b]Vokey SM8[/b] 54M & 60M

[b]Giannini G-1[/b]

[b]Vice Pro+[/b] [color=#ff0000]Neon Red [/color]