BST - selling non-golf related items

discuss
Hi

I've been gone a long time and noticed a few new rules for the BST section. One of the new rules that was discouraging was selling of non-golf related items is not allowed in the BST section. Last summer I sold a lot of golf stuff as well as a lot of video game related stuff. Two things I kind of taken a hobby to. I posted a few retro jordans and some other video games and was told I can no longer sell anything non-golf related.

I know this is a golf forum, but I was thinking that a good idea would be to have a non-golf related BST section. I know that I have had nothing but great experiences in selling on the BST section and really enjoy this community.

what does everyone else think?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear what you're saying, but at the end of the day, it's a GOLF forum. I can't speak for anyone else, but I come here to read/learn/discuss all things golf - not video games (golf games notwithstanding).

If you have video games, Jordans, or other non-golf stuff to sell, I hear eBay is still open for buiness. If you don't feel like paying fees, there's always craiglist...

Not trying to be glib, but that's how I see it.

I hear what you're saying, but at the end of the day, it's a GOLF forum. I can't speak for anyone else, but I come here to read/learn/discuss all things golf - not video games (golf games notwithstanding).

If you have video games, Jordans, or other non-golf stuff to sell, I hear eBay is still open for buiness. If you don't feel like paying fees, there's always craiglist...

Not trying to be glib, but that's how I see it.

I understand what you're saying as I come here for golf stuff and golf equipment advice. I just thought having a separate BST section for non-golf related items is a better alternative than "no golf-related items at all".

I've sold some golf stuff and got some members here some good deals on golf stuff. I've sold some non-golf related items and gotten other members some great deals. It goes both ways as I have had some awesome members here sell some great golf items at fantastic prices. It's kind of like, if you had success in a community and like the people then you want to continue to do business. This community is miles ahead of the ebay community in terms of buyers and sellers. I'll admit not having selling fees is attractive and ebay has gone to hell for sellers. I was saving it as a last resort.

I know this forum is a privilege and nobody is forcing me to sell here and I have the option of taking business elsewhere, but the bottom line is; I like doing business here.

also, a Harley was sold here? I must have been away for a while tongue.gif

The BST is getting abused, period. People looking to avoid eBay fees are part of the problem. Non-golf stuff is part of the problem. People joining a site only to sell is part of the problem.

The purpose (as I understood it) for the BST was to give the membership a place to buy and sell golf clubs under a little better conditions than most internet sites. Now, at the time, the membership took an active part in the site and were all posting. Most people knew each other from other golf sites and reputations were pretty well known.

What has now occurred is that you have people that don't give two sh!ts about the site and only want to peddle their wares. That's bad enough. But when you start adding non-golf items, the BST gets crowded so fast that your ad is driven off page 1 almost immediately.

Therefore, some of the solutions put into place:

-Min post count. Most sites have this already. If you want to use a FREE service, at least have the decency to participate in the site a little. I know, I know. It's really asking a lot. :rolleyes:

-No PayPal gift. If the purpose is to make a safer than normal BST on the internet, why would you want to encourage sellers to ask the buyer to waive any recourse if there is an issue.

-No non-golf related issues. Seriously, can't people go to PurseWRX if they want to sell their ex-wife's Louis Vuitton handbag? We all have hobbies. That's why there are websites like WRX. Is it too much to ask that you put the golf stuff on the golf sites. Would you go to a car forum and try to sell golf clubs? (I heard one d-bag tried that and got laughed off the forum) ;)

I think the big thing is that you can sell here for free and have relatively good exposure. Don't kill the golden goose.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

Pretty good discussion guys. I like posting in here because I like being able to have a differing opinion on something and not being immediately labled "ignorant" because I disagree. I try to extend that courtesy and it's always good to get it back

The BST is getting abused, period. People looking to avoid eBay fees are part of the problem. Non-golf stuff is part of the problem. People joining a site only to sell is part of the problem.

The purpose (as I understood it) for the BST was to give the membership a place to buy and sell golf clubs under a little better conditions than most internet sites. Now, at the time, the membership took an active part in the site and were all posting. Most people knew each other from other golf sites and reputations were pretty well known.

What has now occurred is that you have people that don't give two sh!ts about the site and only want to peddle their wares. That's bad enough. But when you start adding non-golf items, the BST gets crowded so fast that your ad is driven off page 1 almost immediately.

-Min post count. Most sites have this already. If you want to use a FREE service, at least have the decency to participate in the site a little. I know, I know. It's really asking a lot. rolleyes.gif

-No PayPal gift. If the purpose is to make a safer than normal BST on the internet, why would you want to encourage sellers to ask the buyer to waive any recourse if there is an issue.

-No non-golf related issues. Seriously, can't people go to PurseWRX if they want to sell their ex-wife's Louis Vuitton handbag? We all have hobbies. That's why there are websites like WRX. Is it too much to ask that you put the golf stuff on the golf sites. Would you go to a car forum and try to sell golf clubs? (I heard one d-bag tried that and got laughed off the forum) wink.gif

I think the big thing is that you can sell here for free and have relatively good exposure. Don't kill the golden goose.

I here ya, I was kind of frustrated too when I would post an ad and then a flood of ads moved it to the second page. Another way I looked at it, is that many of us spend a lot of money on golf stuff and we are kind of (for the most part) in the same life stage. If not life stage, at least spend money on similar things; therefore, we have similar interests? As funny as the purses were to see, I thought the watches (from another post) were a realistic purchase.

As far as my situation, I'll figure it out. Maybe this is a sign that I shouldn't be selling those retros anyway rolleyes.gif

My suggestion was either ban all non-golf related items or like you said create a "Garage Sale" section of BST for non-golf related items. It gets annoying to scroll through the current BST:

FS: Titleist 909D2/BB83

FS: Xbox 360 games

FS: Adams 9015D

ect

I never had a problem with off topic items as long as they were listed within an ad that actually had golf stuff. I think that should probably be the recognized.

agreed, in previous posts I would usually sell 5 golf items and maybe 2 non-golf items. This last post was flip-flopped

My other favorite site has a section on their BST for non jeep related stuff. It doesn't get much attention, because everyone is on there for their jeeps. The main source of issues here is that the site got big enough for folks to view it as a viable place for selling anything. I think the razor blades kind of put it over the edge....

I hope the rules here go back to making their mission statement at the very top of the rules viable again. Here it is....

[b]Very simply put it is our intent to create a "safe haven" to buy, sell and trade equipment. Honor and integrity will be restored to a badly tainted tour equipment marketplace Our Buy / Sell / Trade section has to be managed.[/b]

[quote name='stage1350' date='19 May 2010 - 11:49 AM' timestamp='1274284175' post='2453031']

-Min post count. Most sites have this already. If you want to use a FREE service, at least have the decency to participate in the site a little. I know, I know. It's really asking a lot. :rolleyes:

-No non-golf related issues. Seriously, can't people go to PurseWRX if they want to sell their ex-wife's Louis Vuitton handbag? We all have hobbies. That's why there are websites like WRX. Is it too much to ask that you put the golf stuff on the golf sites. Would you go to a car forum and try to sell golf clubs? (I heard one d-bag tried that and got laughed off the forum) ;)

[/quote]

Brad's posts typically hit the nail square on the head and this is just another example. :good:

Kevin

[quote name='highergr0und' date='19 May 2010 - 09:30 AM' timestamp='1274286622' post='2453119']
My other favorite site has a section on their BST for non jeep related stuff. It doesn't get much attention, because everyone is on there for their jeeps. The main source of issues here is that the site got big enough for folks to view it as a viable place for selling anything. I think the razor blades kind of put it over the edge....
[/quote]
The razor blade thing was a friggin joke. They should've just banned the guy for being a doofus. Was he here at all for golf?

[quote name='justincredible04' date='19 May 2010 - 10:54 AM' timestamp='1274291686' post='2453304']
Kind of off topic, but what was the deal about the razor blades?
[/quote]
Some dunce tried to list a couple cases of gilette razor blades several times. He totally missed out on reading the rules multiple times and was wondering why his ad kept getting deleted.

Kinda sums up why changes were needed to the BST. I honestly wouldn't have had an issue with it if he didn't totally disregard the rules, he was a contributing member, and had other golf-related items up for sale.

I didn't say anything at the time, but I immediately thought it was pretty tacky.

[quote name='stage1350' date='19 May 2010 - 10:49 AM' timestamp='1274284175' post='2453031']

[/quote]

You can't prevent two private parties from making a transaction how they see fit. If that includes gifting then so be it. You won't stop it. I don't know what it is but it has been a common occurrence for people to assume when you list something for $200 that means $175. IF I'm willing to go down to $175 then I give them the option, either add the 3% or gift me.

[quote name='Redbird' date='19 May 2010 - 01:53 PM' timestamp='1274302414' post='2453674']
[quote name='stage1350' date='19 May 2010 - 10:49 AM' timestamp='1274284175' post='2453031']

[/quote]

You can't prevent two private parties from making a transaction how they see fit. If that includes gifting then so be it. You won't stop it. I don't know what it is but it has been a common occurrence for people to assume when you list something for $200 that means $175. IF I'm willing to go down to $175 then I give them the option, either add the 3% or gift me.
[/quote]

You're just repeating everything that has already been said, countless times. What is the downside of not allowing it to be advertised in ads? For someone whose last 40 posts have constantly about how scammers will always scam, your example of negotiation is primed for it.

Instead of dumping on every possible change, how about you suggest some ways to positively change the new rule? I do partially agree with your stance on the $5 insertion fee, but I understand the reasoning for having it. I'm sure we'll see proportionally less trouble in the BST (even accounting for less traffic).

[quote name='Redbird' date='19 May 2010 - 04:53 PM' timestamp='1274302414' post='2453674']

[/quote]

[/quote]

They don't want to stop it, just discourage it and prevent it from being advertised. Personally, I think anyone who asks for a gifted payment is asking a lot and I think it is generally in bad taste and I won't send a gift payment. You guys are all free to do what you want privately, but you can't [i]ask[/i] for it in the ad.

They don't want to stop it, just discourage it and prevent it from being advertised. Personally, I think anyone who asks for a gifted payment is asking a lot and I think it is generally in bad taste and I won't send a gift payment. You guys are all free to do what you want privately, but you can't ask for it in the ad.

Yeah, I never really had an issue with paying extra to not send a paypal gifted. I guess it's like buying some piece of mind. I think the problem that arises is that when a payment is gifted, the seller's incentive to complete a good sale diminish. On the buyer side, it's almost like saying to someone to go to a store pick out an item and come back and pay them tomorrow. A lot of honest people would probably come back and pay. However, there might be a lot of people that never come back.

With a normal paypal payment, there is a huge incentive for the seller to make the sale a good experience. I just find it surprising that people would gift a payment and "not" be expected to get ripped off. I may sound cynical, but I would never gift a payment that was a high dollar amount.

It's like the buyer doesn't see how much money (high dollar) they are spending, just the money (minimal) they could potentially be saving. I don't get it. I don't see how someone can risk $100 to save $5...then again I've seen people buy insurance regularly on the blackjack table and not take even money when they get a blackjack and dealer shows paint or an ace dntknw.gif

[quote name='jon2' date='19 May 2010 - 04:00 PM' timestamp='1274302800' post='2453693']
[quote name='Redbird' date='19 May 2010 - 01:53 PM' timestamp='1274302414' post='2453674']

[/quote]

[/quote]

You're just repeating everything that has already been said, countless times. What is the downside of not allowing it to be advertised in ads? For someone whose last 40 posts have constantly about how scammers will always scam, your example of negotiation is primed for it.

Instead of dumping on every possible change, how about you suggest some ways to positively change the new rule? I do partially agree with your stance on the $5 insertion fee, but I understand the reasoning for having it. I'm sure we'll see proportionally less trouble in the BST (even accounting for less traffic).
[/quote]

Your assuming I condone gifting. I just simply stated you can't stop anyone from doing it. I didn't say I was opposed to stopping people from openly requesting it in their ads. The intricate parts of a deal are done via PM and there is no way to ban gifting because of that. The buyer assumes all the risk and if he/she does I think they're nuts unless the person has GTG deals done here already. That is all I'm saying. I'm not promoting gifting in any way shape or form. I've said numerous times that I think 75 posts to BST is enough, no buy in early and eliminate non-golf related items from being sold unless you make a "Garage-Sale" type section for non-golf related items.

If someone is hell bent on screwing the membership over, you're right. There's not stopping them. However, there are a lot of deterrants that can be put in place that may make a scammer move on instead of deal with the hassle.

Yes, this will inconvenience others who's motives are pure and honorable. But 75 posts is not too much to ask. I tolerate an extra few minutes with TSA if it means some d-bag isn't going to be able to light his shoe/underwear on fire. Again, a small price to pay.

What is truly the market on WRX for a Harley that will have to be picked up in person? Are you really going to get more exposure here than eBay if you want to peddle a case of razor blades? Then again, should a rule really be necessary? It should be common sense that a golf site classified section is there for GOLF equipment. This is not the wisest place to advertise a black vinyl gimp suit, only worn twice. There are better sites to advertise that particular item. Conversely putting up an ad for golf clubs on a BDSM site would be met with raised eyebrows as well.

Yet some people need this explained to them. And those that would rather ask for forgiveness instead of permission go ahead and do it anyway. Razor blades. Seriously???

[quote name='stage1350' date='19 May 2010 - 09:39 PM' timestamp='1274319598' post='2454371']
If someone is hell bent on screwing the membership over, you're right. There's not stopping them. However, there are a lot of deterrants that can be put in place that may make a scammer move on instead of deal with the hassle.

Yes, this will inconvenience others who's motives are pure and honorable. But 75 posts is not too much to ask. I tolerate an extra few minutes with TSA if it means some d-bag isn't going to be able to light his shoe/underwear on fire. Again, a small price to pay.

What is truly the market on WRX for a Harley that will have to be picked up in person? Are you really going to get more exposure here than eBay if you want to peddle a case of razor blades? Then again, should a rule really be necessary? It should be common sense that a golf site classified section is there for GOLF equipment. This is not the wisest place to advertise a black vinyl gimp suit, only worn twice. There are better sites to advertise that particular item. Conversely putting up an ad for golf clubs on a BDSM site would be met with raised eyebrows as well.

Yet some people need this explained to them. And those that would rather ask for forgiveness instead of permission go ahead and do it anyway. Razor blades. Seriously???
[/quote]

Will you stop already with the heavy doses of common sense? :cheesy:

[quote name='stage1350' date='19 May 2010 - 08:39 PM' timestamp='1274319598' post='2454371']

[/quote]

Someone tried to sell a Harley on here? lol

[quote name='Redbird' date='19 May 2010 - 08:17 PM' timestamp='1274325467' post='2454690']
[quote name='stage1350' date='19 May 2010 - 08:39 PM' timestamp='1274319598' post='2454371']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/371662-something-way-off-topic/page__p__2428553__hl__harley__fromsearch__1&#entry2428553"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/371662-something-way-off-topic/page__p__2428553__hl__harley__fromsearch__1&#entry2428553[/url]

[quote name='jon2' date='19 May 2010 - 10:21 PM' timestamp='1274325719' post='2454700']
[quote name='Redbird' date='19 May 2010 - 08:17 PM' timestamp='1274325467' post='2454690']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/371662-something-way-off-topic/page__p__2428553__hl__harley__fromsearch__1&#entry2428553"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/371662-something-way-off-topic/page__p__2428553__hl__harley__fromsearch__1&#entry2428553[/url]
[/quote]

LMAO...that's frickin awesome.

I didn't know others felt so strongly about non-golf related items in the BST section. I guess after seeing a Harley and razor blades in there some people got fed up. So far, I think one member agrees with me in having a "garage sale" type of section in the forum. Everyone else thinks an outright ban is in order. I was thinking this over, and the lawyer (I'm not a lawyer) side of me posed the question(s):
1.) What constitutes a non-golf related item?
2.) Who is in charge of determining a non-golf related item?

Before we discuss this, I wanted everyone to know that I'm not arguing against the banning of items. I'm not mad my items couldn't be posted or anything like that. I'm just trying to foresee any problem that can arise from the outright ban of said items.

1.) I was thinking anything not used in golf? The problem I see would be items that might be considered by some and not others to be golf related. For example, is a Tiger Woods video game golf related? I think so, but I can see why others would say "get that off the BST!!!" or maybe a watch like (not to keep using the Tiger example) the Tag Tiger endorses. I think that's golf related and I think many people would be interested. However, I can see others again saying "get that off the BST!!!" because "it's" not golf related.

2.) This question might be as slippery as question 1. Is one mod, a group of mods, or a bunch of mad posters what determines the yay or nay of an item.

Discuss, and keep it civil?

Non-golf related items would be those that don't generally have a place or use on the course.... Someone could argue all day long that razor blades are golf related because you need to shave in order to have a neat appearance on the course. Or a watch to help you stay on pace. Video games like TW 2010? How about learning the layout of a high end course before you play it? Or maybe the rounds at your home course are so slow you bring the playstation and a monitor to play it in your cart during the never ending waits. The Harley? Maybe you want to strike fear into your playing partners by riding up to the course? Maybe a pre round ride offers a soothing mental preparation to play your best....

It's not too tough to come up with absurd justifications for anything.

It all boils down to the fact that this is a golf forum that happens to have a marketplace for golf stuff. The point is not to be a profit center but a place where you can market your items to a specific audience. There is no need for a garage sale section.

1) Jewelry, Harleys, razor blades, kayaking equipment, etc. has no place on a golf forum. Cars don't either, though one site seems to think so... :rolleyes:

2) Ultimate decision will come down to the Mods/Admins. It's their site to run. You have a say by reporting someone that can't figure out what should and should not be posted on a golf forum.

There is a "garage sale" already. It's called eBay. No need to list razor blades here except to avoid more fees. When that is obviously the intention of the post, it does annoy some around here. Double that annoyance when that ad is pushing someone else's ad further down the batting order.

The item has to be golf related in some way. All the items you listed are golf related.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

• 1 month later...

Not to rekindle the flame, but I think that a non golf related section would be a big plus. On the other side, keeping rules in play, as far as no "gifting payments" and what not would also be a good idea. If people don't want to deal with the non golf sales, don't look at the section. Just my $0.02 but I think it would be a good deal if I could sell stuff to my fellow golfers that I can trust rather than have to list my items five times on Ebay because a robot from another country decided not to pay out the coin. Again, just my opinion.