TM Superdeep.......What was I thinking?

TMBob

Well, my SD came from Aces 5 today and I normally play an 8.5 loft, and would have preferred the 60 s RIP shaft if I were to order one, but I wanted to try one based on some of the reviews and thoughts about this club.

I really have to ask myself why I did this? I have seen only one SD in person and that was a 10.5 head and it did ZERO for me, but I blew that off because unless it is a 8.5 loft, most head have the same effect on me. Well. I am sorry that I did, because I think the club looks very bad and mainly due to the loft. It looks like half way decent when in the cranked open position. It looks like a SQ, but dare I say a small SQ. The face is only 1/8th deeper then my SQ....SD 2 MWT ports with FCT, SQ....4 MWT ports with no FCT. Thus, a SQ with a lower spin rate (that is what everyone says) with a hot new shaft is what this club is to me. Been there done that and still have my SQ and no need for slight upgrade for all that $$$. No need for a SQ on roids for me.

Looking down at the SD against the ST, the ST screams easy to hit when compared the the ST, even the SQ looks easier to hit then the SD to me.

At this point, my gaming or even trying this head will wait. I am not even going to hit it since Aces has it looking like new still for me, but I will insert the RIP into my ST and do a quick test run. Funny, I weighted out the 70 RIP and it was very close to my Devo 6, only 5 grams more but with the MC grip on the RIP and the newer sleeve weight, it is only 1 gram heavier in total weight.

The SD head was 200 grams with no sleeve and 18 grams of MWT in it........Is 18 grams the standard MWT that comes with it total?

So it looks like the battle will be between the ST and the SF TP now.....just waiting for my other Devo to get here so I can do this battle the right way.

SD will be finding a new home ASAP and it told me to find a Ho's home.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't hit a Superdeep and I don't plan on it. I saw it for the first time a couple weeks ago at GG. When I picked up the club from the rack and got a feel for it, I didn't care for the setup at all. For whatever reason, I don't care for the headshape. It's all a matter of personal taste but I see where you are coming from in regards to this club.

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' date='01 June 2010 - 05:58 PM' timestamp='1275440299' post='2481085']
I love mine! I played 36 holes on saturday and I never hit as many 300+ drives as I have with the SD. The low spin head/shaft benefits me for sure. I would give it another whirl before selling it.
[/quote]

Another whirl? I haven't even given it one whirl yet?

I love mine! I played 36 holes on saturday and I never hit as many 300+ drives as I have with the SD. The low spin head/shaft benefits me for sure. I would give it another whirl before selling it.

Another whirl? I haven't even given it one whirl yet?

Bob, You got it, you have to hit it. diablo.gif

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

For me, it is a case of what I'm already getting out of my current driver. I think my current set up is close to perfect and the Superdeep probably wouldn't improve things significantly, so I'm not going to bother for now. Although that's also what I said about my R9 before switching to the Supertri. The Superfast TP on the other hand, is a completely different animal and that is something that I may experiment with down the road.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

I love mine, and I love the look. I love the deep face and the smaller top profile compared to a lot of the other clubs. It keeps me from overswinging. What is horrible to one is fantastic to another. I hate the look of the Cally FT IZ, but plenty seem to be ok with it or even like it.

[quote name='caseyc1' date='01 June 2010 - 07:56 PM' timestamp='1275440160' post='2481080']
I still love my Supertri alot more but the SD is awsome for some people, i think its a small % that its made for IMO
[/quote]

I really don't understand the comments about how it fits a small number of people. My brother and newphew both hit mine, and both hit it well. Anyone that needs the spin of the Supertri probably won't hit an SD well. Are there really that few high spin players out there?

I wonder if some people's difficulty has to do with the default weight config. The default setup is 16 grams in the toe and 1 gram in the heal which is probably not a favorable setup for quite a few people, and probably how most people are demoing the club.

As I said before, when the add two more lugnuts in the back, I'll consider it. How long is that going to take? Six months?

The way I was hitting Superquad this weekend, there's no need for an upgrade anytime soon. ;)

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

[quote name='stage1350' date='02 June 2010 - 08:46 AM' timestamp='1275493592' post='2482065']
As I said before, when the add two more lugnuts in the back, I'll consider it. How long is that going to take? Six months?

The way I was hitting Superquad this weekend, there's no need for an upgrade anytime soon. ;)
[/quote]

Stage, you are paste and copying that correct? :cheesy:

I felt the SQ looked better to me, but now the ST looks great to....Since I like more weight forward, 3 MWT works fine for me.

Bob,

FWIW.. the SDTP is longer good for good on average 10 yards for me than the ST is. This is with the same Fubuki 73x just put into different heads. I have 9.5's in both heads.. the SDTP definitely launches lower (10-8 weights in the SDTP and 10-1-8 in the ST). The ST is more forgiving on offcenter hits, but if your miss is usually high or low on the face, the SDTP should be okay for you. If you have trouble spinning the ball, I'd stick with the ST.. but if you want something low spin you gotta at least give the SDTP a spin on course. Not sure what your SS is, but if its 110+ I'd say to give it a whirl. For me it's the longest driver I've hit by TM recently. It's also more forgiving than it looks.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

I finally hit the SD and ST yesterday- both with the RIP and Fubuki...the SD was 9.5 and the ST was 8.5...ilked them both but had a very different experinece that what I have seen written here..but I'm sure that had alot to do with crappy range balls and the differeneces in the heads and lofts

The SD felt great and could be worked high, low and left and right...but generally is really had a higher flight than I expected(which was not a bad thing) and a very boring flight.

The ST on the other hand hit much lower(yes I know it was 8.5!) and really liked to go right vs. left which was surprising to me...I came away with the thought that I could not spin it enough-which again surprised me....but perhaps I ran out of gas or would see better results from a 9.5.....

my plan is to hit them both again but this time trying the ST 9.5 and throwing the SF TP in the mix too.

I'd also suggest to hit both ON THE COURSE, with the ball you normally play. My SDTP had a lot more roll out than the ST that no launch monitor or driving range would be able to show.

Again, FWIW ;)

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Pure745' date='02 June 2010 - 08:57 AM' timestamp='1275494237' post='2482088']
Bob,

FWIW.. the SDTP is longer good for good on average 10 yards for me than the ST is. This is with the same Fubuki 73x just put into different heads. I have 9.5's in both heads.. the SDTP definitely launches lower (10-8 weights in the SDTP and 10-1-8 in the ST). The ST is more forgiving on offcenter hits, but if your miss is usually high or low on the face, the SDTP should be okay for you. If you have trouble spinning the ball, I'd stick with the ST.. but if you want something low spin you gotta at least give the SDTP a spin on course. Not sure what your SS is, but if its 110+ I'd say to give it a whirl. For me it's the longest driver I've hit by TM recently. It's also more forgiving than it looks.
[/quote]

Thanks Pure, My SS is about 99-104 and will give a SD a try someday, when I get ahold of a 8.5 loft. For now, my ST and messing with the SF TP is enough. I pretty numbers are pretty darn good with all the TM driver I try, and I get more roll out then most for my LA. Chances are that you spun the ST to much and the SD solved that. Glad to hear this is working out for you.

My biggest issue is, do I install a Avix Core Green into the SF TP for Mesquite, or wait and do a proper comparison to my ST with Devo's in both heads since the Devo is not here yet.

I'd do a proper comparison once so you don't have to keep going back and forth with head/shaft combos. I'd still say go out to one of your local courses late in the day and just hit a bunch of balls when no ones on it.. and see what happens and go forward from there. :)

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

• 2 weeks later...

I picked one up at golfSmith Extreme in Irvine. Didnt look bad to me at all, once I noticed it was Pre-Owned and looked at the price tag reading "$357" it looked great!!! Bought it on the spot, Its longer then my SuperTri on center, much longer. But the SuperTri is much more forgiving. Ive been playing both in the bag for 2 weeks now.

I got my SD with the Matrix HD6 and love it. I had the opportunity at a demo day this week to try the Aldila RIP shaft and I was not impressed. I thought the matrix shaft felt a lot better and i like the ball flight better with the matrix. This is my first taylormade driver since the original burner bubble and i am really impressed.

if you want the low spin and trajectory that the SD is supposed to offer, i don't know why you'd want 4 or even 3 MWT..? even if you put 1gr screws in the back ports, there's all that extra mass from having the port and the support structure in the first place - probably several grams worth once you account for everything. the 2 MWT for the SD was a smart design move to move weight forward, as was getting rid of 4 MWT in favor of 3 MWT in the ST, imo. the COG difference of having 2 ports so close together was minimal, if you remember playing with the old configurator on TMAGs site.

now, if you wanted to move the COG back to get the trajectory and spin up... then i'm not sure that the SD is designed for you.