Cobra's Tour Drivers

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're both Cobra HS9 Protos. Poulter's is much more shallow than Ogilvy's driver. Poulter's driver has been said to look like a 905R with Cobra stampings and sound. Ogilvy's driver is much more deep and is a HS9 prototype with Speed stampings and markings. Ogilvy was hitting some of the Cobra prototypes with VS Proto shafts during the practice rounds for the Accenture Match Play earlier this year but stayed with the r7 that week and through the Masters. He seems to be pretty comfortable with the Cobra though, especially after the driving clinic he put on at Winged Foot yesterday. Poulter is having his best driving stats of his career this year, which can't hurt Cobra's cause. I have to give all the credit in the world to Cobra for the strides they've made in equipment this year and the tour staff they signed during the offseason. Villegas and Holmes are going to be big winners in the coming years, and Ogilvy is really starting to fulfill his vast potential. Poulter is simply exciting to watch because he's so emotional and explosive. The only player who is not producing for Cobra is Kevin Na, however, he would be with Titleist if he wasn't with Cobra, so they would be paying him the same salary. I think Cobra could make a huge impact on the high end driver market if they released the Poulter model or the Ogilvy model, especially if they win a big tournament. I think these "tour" Cobra drivers could easily compete with the TP line or the FT-3 Tour drivers, especially if the price is right. I have a good feeling about Ogilvy today!

I got to look and hold one of his drivers at La Costa this year and it has the retail stamps of the Speed driver but it had a Comp head and a square face. The tour rep said Ogilvy couldn't believe that yardage he gained with the Aldila VS Proto shaft and the Cobra head. If I was going to give my description of his driver it would be a mix of the HS9-X with the stampings and sole of the Speed series. I hope they release an Ogilvy model in the very near future! :friends:

I'm sure that their drivers are made of "tour grade titanium (unobtanium for retail customers)" and now NASA certified tour carbon composite tops and bottoms. These can only be had by the tour---expect one any day now at you know where for $1600 per copy. :friends:

From what I saw in his bag it looks like he ditched the MB 2 iron and put a forged CB 2 iron in instead.

X Speed in both bags, not HS9 (and not some unobtainium ti prototype head either). Still not sure of the segment Cobra is going after with the HS9. High lofts relatively weak shafts (even the X in the X HS9), and also very high lofted fairway woods with little selection. I know the Pinnacle Team is staying with the XX Speed Heads and the 350 SZ Tour Heads. Other than JB (who used/es the old 454 Comp.) all the others are dabbling with or playing the speed series. I would almost think it is the mid to high handicapper they are devoting the whole line to. The confusing part is they make a big deal about the X being square faced (but so are the X and XX speed---they just don't look it).

Sand,

we're going to hold you to that major win = cobra blades comment before the open :friends: :idhitit:

Strange, wonder what Acushnet think of Cobra surpassing Titleist as their players line?

When was the last Titleist win on tour, the cobra count is increasing?

Had it been Camillo I would feel a lot more comfortable that they would consider it. But poor old Geoff doesn't generate much buzz in equipment sales. You are right though Titleist seemed to keep the "big names" that are in the twilight or injured twilight of their careers.

Guys-earlier this year, a friend picked up some Cobra from tour. All 3 were driver heads and two were still in plastic. The two in plastic were basically retail heads-in fact still have them. Just like Titleist tour other than protos, they are basically retail heads. I sure should have kept the other one though-VS proto x w/ Cobra 9 degree head----oh, no-thanks-Steve

If you look closely at the ad for Cobra featuring Ogilvy at the Open the sole is definitely an X speed. However the paint job comes down further on the crown than the retail X speeds and the clincher that it is a slightly different head (still not HS9 or a variant of it) is the big white block letters spelling COBRA with the snake on the toe of the club. Obviously for TV but on todays X speed there isn't room for those sized fonts. On the retail ones they either have the ball speed or MOI printed in small letters on the toe area.

...... I know the Pinnacle Team is staying with the XX Speed Heads and the 350 SZ Tour Heads.

2 of my best friends are on the Pinnacle team - The reason they are using the x speed (XX only refers to the shaft inserted into the head - there is no xx head) is that when they tries the HS9 ... The blew the heads apart where the titanium was merged to the carbon area ... They hit it THAT hard

...... I know the Pinnacle Team is staying with the XX Speed Heads and the 350 SZ Tour Heads.

2 of my best friends are on the Pinnacle team - The reason they are using the x speed (XX only refers to the shaft inserted into the head - there is no xx head) is that when they tries the HS9 ... The blew the heads apart where the titanium was merged to the carbon area ... They hit it THAT hard

There are plenty of XX Speed heads. Totally different weight pad configuration/weight from the Xs. Do a search I've posted several pictures of the "non existant" XX Speed Head in 8.5 and 6.5 lofts. Pick up one of Cobra's brochures they even list the XX Speed 8.5 for sale with a 46 inch shaft and a sticker that says long drive team model on it.

Never mind here is a dim picture of the non existant head

There are about 12 listed conforming versions of the King Cobra X/Speed driver on the USGA website. That's not a joke, and it is not a separate listing for different lofts. It is really about 12 different conforming models, some in just one loft (protos, clearly) and some in three or four lofts.

It is too many for me to keep straight.

Adding the XX/Speed models is still significantly more in terms of the numbers.

RoboPTI

the XX speed goes down to 4.5 degree for the Pinnacle/Cobra team so if you really did have friends

on the team you'd know that Cobras premium low handicapper models come usually only in 8.5/9.5

but outside their product brochures they go way low for the LD team, It's been like that since Zuback and Fister played on the Titleist team, 5.5* D's and J's then Cobra took over.

Sandy will verify this is correct, he's got insiders in Cobra.

RoboPTI

the XX speed goes down to 4.5 degree for the Pinnacle/Cobra team so if you really did have friends

on the team you'd know that Cobras premium low handicapper models come usually only in 8.5/9.5

but outside their product brochures they go way low for the LD team, It's been like that since Zuback and Fister played on the Titleist team, 5.5* D's and J's then Cobra took over.

Sandy will verify this is correct, he's got insiders in Cobra.

You are correct sir! Laughingly I have one of those old 5.5 975Ds. What a peanut.

Sandy,

:yahoo: that they are, I've got two 5.5 D's, it's amazing what the difference 1 degree makes. My gamer

a few years ago was a 6.5 D... a major weapon but the 5.5 was like a house brick on a stick :yahoo:

Worst part is, with this stick I think Zuback was the guy who registered the highest ball velocity on the Titleist launch monitor.

I was raping snakes with it :bad:

I recall you saying the XX 4.5* is a nasty bit of work, 140MPH swing speed required to get it going.

I'd love to get my hands on one of those XX 4.5's or a 4* 450 tour

so if you're offloading any of your stash let me know :bad:

Are you still playing your 6.5 450 tour?

People don't realize that Cobra build some of the best heads out there for their LD guys, open face versus

their retail hook machines.

LD is the real fun part of golf, giving folk a shot of these crazy lofts on the course usually gets the guys giggling... then the crazy shafts..... I've got an unused Penley 52 inch Nash Factor (Brian Nash on the Cobra team) it's a Stealth 70 personal Jason Zuback XXXX R&D .... details are sketchy but I think it's tip locked out to 15" up the pipe but it's never been frequencied out (prob 330 CPM)

Sandy,

:yahoo: that they are, I've got two 5.5 D's, it's amazing what the difference 1 degree makes. My gamer

a few years ago was a 6.5 D... a major weapon but the 5.5 was like a house brick on a stick :yahoo:

Worst part is, with this stick I think Zuback was the guy who registered the highest ball velocity on the Titleist launch monitor.

I was raping snakes with it :bad:

I recall you saying the XX 4.5* is a nasty bit of work, 140MPH swing speed required to get it going.

I'd love to get my hands on one of those XX 4.5's or a 4* 450 tour

so if you're offloading any of your stash let me know :bad:

Are you still playing your 6.5 450 tour?

People don't realize that Cobra build some of the best heads out there for their LD guys, open face versus

their retail hook machines.

LD is the real fun part of golf, giving folk a shot of these crazy lofts on the course usually gets the guys giggling... then the crazy shafts..... I've got an unused Penley 52 inch Nash Factor (Brian Nash on the Cobra team) it's a Stealth 70 personal Jason Zuback XXXX R&D .... details are sketchy but I think it's tip locked out to 15" up the pipe but it's never been frequencied out (prob 330 CPM)

Right now I've been playing either a XX Speed 8.5 with a XX Fuji or a XX Speed 6.5 with a X Fuji. The 450s and 427s are a much better looking head but about a month ago the XXs started working great with those combinations I finally got. As I've told many others when I am done with my stash it must be returned to the manufacturer (unless it is retail type stuff). I am able to test/play/comment on new stuff but I am not allowed to sell, donate, loan etc. any of the tour/prototype stuff I get. If I do I lose my privileges for good--so no e-Bay or private sales for me. Since the money involved is minimal (regular retail usually) I am not willing to risk it for any amount of money. When I return the stuff I usually get a credit toward the next round of stuff.

The best place to pick up unusual tour stuff is on e-Bay usually sold by a pro's caddy to supplement their income. But often some of the stuff I get isn't on the tour. When it is on the tour it is being tested for eventual retail sale. Sometimes it doesn't make it (only Titleist's fairways come to mind in that category) but that is the rare exception. When it is spotted on the tour as a general rule you will see it at retail within a year.

At one time I think the Long Drive site used to sell low lofted drivers but something went haywire and Cobra has started keeping track of those with IDs as to where they were sent.