A Tale of Two Spiders...

ShortSticks

Tour Black IB Spider - LE Black IB Spider

Here is a tale of two spiders. They have both caught me in their web and I am torn between which one to game.

One is a Limited Edition Black Itsy Bitsy Spider from Japan, the other is a Tour Black Itsy Bitsy Spider. They are both centershaft and are set up the same, but each one has a different insert. The LE (black and red bottom) has the AGSI + Carbon insert, whereas the Tour (black and white bottom) has the AGSI + Titallium insert.

Both of these spiders are very rare, and it would seem their bite is infectious, as I cannot seem to choose just one.

IB Black5.jpeg

Edited by ShortSticks
add pics

[quote name='ShortSticks' timestamp='1282058461' post='2644691']
One is a Limited Edition Black Itsy Bitsy Spider from Japan, the other is a Tour Black Itsy Bitsy Spider. They are both centershaft and are set up the same, but each one has a different insert. The LE (black and red bottom) has the AGSI + Carbon insert, whereas the Tour (black and white bottom) has the AGSI + Titallium insert.
[/quote]
Both very nice sticks. Which one feels better? ;)

scjr

Cobra Fly-Z Driver 9.5
RocketBallz Stage 2 Fairway
Callaway X-Hot Hybrids
AMP CELL Irons 5-GW
NIckent ARC Wedge
MacGregor M5K Putter

That is a tough one. Surprisingly they are very similar in feel. The Carbon insert is a little more clicky on mishits, but softer, and more muted on center contact. This actually gives it a little better feedback as the difference between solid contact and off-center contact is more discernible. The Titallium insert is more metallic and solid feeling, but does not give quite as much audible feedback. I thought there would be a bigger difference, which is why I have both, but I am struggling to make a decision. Both put a smooth end over end roll, but distance control seems to be favoring the Carbon insert so far.

[quote name='preacher' timestamp='1282163575' post='2647657']
Both are nice looking putters. Is this carbon insert the same as the Ghost series? I liked the feel of the red insert better then the new Ghost which feels somewhat hallow to me. The steel AGSI is the best of them but difficult to find.

--jason
[/quote]

No, the Ghost insert has the normal AGSI + Titallium (red) insert, just with a different color scheme (black with red sides). On the Ghost the whole putter is made from aluminum which is more responsible for the feel, or lack of feel.

The Spider Vicino is the only current release that has the carbon insert.

[quote name='ShortSticks' timestamp='1282168324' post='2647808']
Both are nice looking putters. Is this carbon insert the same as the Ghost series? I liked the feel of the red insert better then the new Ghost which feels somewhat hallow to me. The steel AGSI is the best of them but difficult to find.

--jason
[/quote]

No, the Ghost insert has the normal AGSI + Titallium (red) insert, just with a different color scheme (black with red sides). On the Ghost the whole putter is made from aluminum which is more responsible for the feel, or lack of feel.

[/quote]

I'm pretty sure the ghost putters I saw had carbon

[quote name='14mh' timestamp='1282230941' post='2649019']

--jason
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If you look at the face of the Carbon insert, you can see the weave of the carbon fibers. Look at the face of a Ghost and you will not see the carbon fiber weave, as it is metal that is just colored black. Compare a Vicino (carbon) to a Ghost (Titallium) in a golf store and you will see the difference.

[quote name='ShortSticks' timestamp='1282232999' post='2649088']
[quote name='14mh' timestamp='1282230941' post='2649019']

--jason
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If you look at the face of the Carbon insert, you can see the weave of the carbon fibers. Look at the face of a Ghost and you will not see the carbon fiber weave, as it is metal that is just colored black. Compare a Vicino (carbon) to a Ghost (Titallium) in a golf store and you will see the difference.
[/quote]

Your right. I was looking at getting a center shafted Vicino and that was the insert I was trying to talk about.

• 11 months later...

That's it...I MUST find this putter. I have a love for center-shafted putters and the all black, single siteline Itsy Bitsy CS is something I never knew existed. I have a find one to compete with my Monte Carlo #7!

THANK YOU for the pics!

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

Wow, after a year this thread finds its way back...

I have since sold the carbon insert Japan Black LE Itsy Bitsy, but decided to keep the red insert "TOUR Black" Itsy Bitsy. Just call me SPIDERMAN.

I reshafted it with a UST Frequency Filter shaft then added a Tour-Loc back-weight and it may be the last putter I will ever need. In the last year I have made more bombs than I have ever made, and its pure money from 6 feet in. Before this putter I was on a constant revolving door with putters, but since I got this one I don't even think about new putters anymore. Problem is, this is a one of a kind putter, and I don't know what I would do if it got stolen or damaged. Can I get an insurance policy for my putter...

• 4 years later...

The TOUR BLACK is BACK!!! :superman:

Over the years I have had many other putter try to unseat the KING, but none lasted long enough to get the top spot in my bag. It is truly amazing that my spider is 5 years old and still going strong. Just goes to show how good this putter is. It was ahead of its time. Thanks Kia Ma!!!

Now that Jason Day is rolling a black Itsy Bitsy the interest level has gone through the roof. I wish I had never let the other one go as I would have liked having it as a back-up. :slow_en:

• 6 months later...

Wow! Those putters a sweet! Wish I had a pic on my phone of my murdered Spider that Continental did and has aVibrant shaft in it. I cannot find another putter to unseat it. I am starting to really like center shaft putters and these have me really interested.

Still using it?

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Wow! Those putters a sweet! Wish I had a pic on my phone of my murdered Spider that Continental did and has aVibrant shaft in it. I cannot find another putter to unseat it. I am starting to really like center shaft putters and these have me really interested.

Still using it?

Yes I am still using the "Tour Black" Itsy Bitsy.

Funny thing is when I started using it back in 2010 I was given a lot of grief, (whats that, a metal detector? Does that thing pick up HBO? etc.) but now that Jason Day is using one, the tune has changed to more like "how much you want to sell that putter".

My reply is always the same.

I'm SPIDERMAN!

Spiderman,

I am digging center shaft putters everytime I demo one. I would never buy a putter without trying it several times, but you have me thinking. From the "sound" of it, I think I would like the one with the Carbon face.

There are a couple on the Bay, but they are kind of beat up. I wish I could demo one.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Spiderman,

I am digging center shaft putters everytime I demo one. I would never buy a putter without trying it several times, but you have me thinking. From the "sound" of it, I think I would like the one with the Carbon face.

There are a couple on the Bay, but they are kind of beat up. I wish I could demo one.

I haven't putted with a carbon insert, but I hear they are soft feeling and put a good roll on the ball. Spider Vicino have that insert standard

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

• 1 year later...

Spiderman,

I was recently given a spider very similar to yours from a PGA tour pro. It is an all black, center shaft, single line Rossa Monza Itsy Bitsy in very good condition. How much do you think I could get for it if I found the right buyer? I'm considering putting it on Ebay. Please email me if you've heard of anyone interested in models like ours. [email protected]

Thanks,

Jared

Getting mine reshafted and gripped right now! Was recently given to me by a PGA tour player since he broke the shaft years ago.

Sweet, I see yours has the steel insert. Nice, and quite rare. Take care of it as there are not any like that that I have ever seen.

Still using mine 7 years going strong.

Getting mine reshafted and gripped right now! Was recently given to me by a PGA tour player since he broke the shaft years ago.

Sweet, I see yours has the steel insert. Nice, and quite rare. Take care of it as there are not any like that that I have ever seen.

Still using mine 7 years going strong.

Thanks! Thats cool to hear that you're still using yours since you first posted this. What do you know about my putter's particular steel insert? I haven't been able to find any information on it. Just alot of talk about the newer Pure Roll insert material and feel.

• 6 years later...

Once again I find myself bitten by the spider. And again I will have two spiders to choose from. I have a Spider X Chalk center shaft now, but I also have a My Spider Tour X center shaft ordered that should be here next month.

I have found that I just putt better with the center shafted spiders, so here is hoping for another 10 year run with these new spiders.

My Spider Tour X CS bottom SILVER BLACK.jpg

Edited by ShortSticks
  • Like 2

I ordered the My Spider in the hydroblast finish with black true path and black pure roll surlyn insert. The Chalk is a grey finish with white true path and white pure roll surlyn insert. Different but similar.

This time I plan on keeping them both. I will report back once the My Spider arrives.

My Spider Tour X CS top SLIVER BLACK.jpg

6.webp

Edited by ShortSticks

I have really enjoyed my Spider EX. Except for one thing: alignment. And obviously that’s a pretty big deal. 

I really do better with blades or anything that has a strong top rail. I line up better with a perpendicular feature rather than parallel. Which is unfortunate because the pure roll grooves do quite well for putting a good roll on the ball. 

Im just scratching the surface of this rabbit hole. I think my next direction is looking for a blade with groove tech. 

TSR2 8.0 / Tour AD CQ 6S

TSR2 16.5 / Ventus TR Red 7X

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

U505 22 / HZRDUS RDX 6.0 80Hy

Artisan HC 6-P / KBS C-Taper Lite 115X

Artisan 49, 54, 59 / KBS C-Taper Lite 115X

Revolving Putter