[quote name='honketyhank' timestamp='1284860810' post='2703722']
MacGregor Golf
History -- Catalogs

edited by Jim Kaplan
Vintage Publishing Co.
Rancho Mirage, CA, 92270 (USA)

1-760-416-1115
info.vintagepublishing.com

All the above from my copy of the book. I tried the web address and I did not see how to get a copy. Maybe you need to call. It might well be out of print and unavailable.
[/quote]

I recently bought 2 new copies of the Kaplan book from a seller on eBay, Frank's Antiques and Auctions([email protected]). Send them a note -- they had a few more in stock, I think. The publisher in Rancho Mirage cannot seem to be located, from my research, probably out of business.
[/quote]
Here is a rare set made for the Japanese market, very pretty clubs Macgregor Royal Tourney. Shafts and grips are custom Macgregor. Picked them up at a thrift shop years ago, no pitching wedge ,I have been looking for a wedge for 8 years. Probably will never find it!!
[/quote]

Hard to tell from the photos, are those graphite shafts? In any case, just, like, you know, "WOW".

Yes they are graphite shafts, even have the yen price sticker on them, The shafts say senior flex. I have a new set of Macgregor s300 shafts I have always wanted to shaft them with but have waited for the pw, Has Anyone ever seen this model ,anywhere???
[/quote]

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='teevons' timestamp='1298159586' post='2993308']

Yes they are graphite shafts, even have the yen price sticker on them, The shafts say senior flex. I have a new set of Macgregor s300 shafts I have always wanted to shaft them with but have waited for the pw, Has Anyone ever seen this model ,anywhere???
[/quote]

You know, I have some MacGregor sets that I can get no feedback on. Same with a Wilson set. Nice sets. I look at yours and say WOW. But I know nothing about them. they just look nice. Maybe they fall into that hole of "looks nice but we don't know because all records are lost after multiple sales of our parent company." But,:idhitit: . Senior shaft could well be a problem in a players' looking blade. But I would certainly give them a whack. And if they were too whippy, I might reluctantly reshaft them to give them another chance with a DGIR or DGIS shaft.

Yea, I could definitely game the David Graham forgings. These are very classy!

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

[quote name='Wildwing55' timestamp='1298178567' post='2993982']
My choices would be the Tourney 945s of the mid 50s, and the David Graham forgings (very few made) of the late 70s, early 80s. Here's an example of the David Grahams:
[/quote]

I have a set of Daiwa DG-201's, they are almost identical to these! Chrome finish as opposed to brushed, and not Macs, but gorgeous none the less.

[quote name=''53 Precision' timestamp='1298236810' post='2995433']
My choices would be the Tourney 945s of the mid 50s, and the David Graham forgings (very few made) of the late 70s, early 80s. Here's an example of the David Grahams:
[/quote]

I have a set of Daiwa DG-201's, they are almost identical to these! Chrome finish as opposed to brushed, and not Macs, but gorgeous none the less.
[/quote]

Yep, I remember the Daiwa David Graham forgings. The main difference, as I recall, is the DG 201 had a double cut muscleback, but otherwise very similar. After he left MacGregor, David Graham represented Daiwa, then Calloway. The most under-appreciated major champion in all of golf. Two major wins, including what most say is one of the best final rounds of U.S. Open golf, a perfect round at Merion in the 1981 Open. Yet, almost no information or videos are available, even though Golf Channel shows amost every other major on tape. He was a club fanatic, and a perfectionist.

[quote name='dukeman' timestamp='1284858875' post='2703666']
If you had to pick one set of MacGregor irons, which would it be?

I like the look of some of the Silver Scots that I've seen, but there are so many others to consider.

Recommendations, please.

PS...I've seen reference to a Kaplan book on golf club history. What's the full title?
[/quote]
I have a strong preference for the VIP by Nicklaus with either gold or black ferrules (67/68, i believe) The only difference in heads is the size of the "by Nicklaus" stamp on the back of the toe. It is smaller on the later model. TheVIP's are slightly smaller than the early 985 Armours and the toe is not as big and rounded. Also, the top line doesn't seem (to me) as thick as the Silver Scots. The SS 945's are even more compact than VIP,; but the topline is thick. Apparantly I am in the minority about the topline preference, because they made a lot more Silver Scots and MT's than VIP's.
Bob

[quote name='Wildwing55' timestamp='1298239466' post='2995572']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yep, I remember the Daiwa David Graham forgings. The main difference, as I recall, is the DG 201 had a double cut muscleback, but otherwise very similar. After he left MacGregor, David Graham represented Daiwa, then Calloway. The most under-appreciated major champion in all of golf. Two major wins, including what most say is one of the best final rounds of U.S. Open golf, a perfect round at Merion in the 1981 Open. Yet, almost no information or videos are available, even though Golf Channel shows amost every other major on tape. He was a club fanatic, and a perfectionist.

I don't see a double cut muscleback, mine are almost identical to the Macs and Mizuno's in your pic, here mine are:[attachment=733908:100_0563.JPG][attachment=733909:100_0564.JPG]
[/quote]

[quote name=''53 Precision' timestamp='1298341895' post='2999142']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't see a double cut muscleback, mine are almost identical to the Macs and Mizuno's in your pic, here mine are:[attachment=733908:100_0563.JPG][attachment=733909:100_0564.JPG]
[/quote]
[/quote]

You're right, I don't see a double cut muscleback in your irons. I did some looking, and what I thought what you had turned out, I believe, to be the Daiwa DG 273 irons, which were also designed by David Graham, and had that double cut muscleback. Great set of irons you have there, and I think they're pretty rare. Thanks for posting those pictures, they look great.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Here is one video of him from 1981 US Open: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfhiCujUjeM

Good hands =)

That was a great video. The part when he made the downhill putt with that sweet achushnet bullseye putter brought me back to my days as a kid putting on fast greens with the same putter. I rewinded that part like 4 times and it was like I was transported in time. Great video!! I gotta get me that same putter for my vintage bag.

[quote name='freddiec' timestamp='1298469308' post='3002441']
That was a great video. The part when he made the downhill putt with that sweet achushnet bullseye putter brought me back to my days as a kid putting on fast greens with the same putter. I rewinded that part like 4 times and it was like I was transported in time. Great video!! I gotta get me that same putter for my vintage bag.
[/quote]

Great observation, and David Graham used that Bullseye putter for most if not all his regular PGA career. Others who have used it include Corey Pavin, Payne Stewart, and Lanny Wadkins, along with other putters, of course.

Isn't it great that this forum exists, to drag out some hidden jewel photos and videos of guys who played the game with the equipment we love.

Just filthy deliciousness!

Mac VIP or Nicklaus 67s.

Some of the older stuff is nice too. The old hogan macgregors were ridiculously small and hard to hit, but when you hit them just right...talk about no other feeling like it in the world.

1025M and PMB tours were nice too for some of their more recent stuff.

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

• 2 weeks later...

I think I found a set of these 83 Colokroms while visiting my sister in Santa Cruz. I was puzzled because they looked nearly new, but very "fifty-ish". Were these some kind of "anniversary" forging? I added an older Bull's Eye, and a Titlest 975 driver, and I left the set there for when I visit. They are pretty, and I like the way they play, but I still favor the FC4000 black face irons.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I'll second drstroud's motion (almost) - I first saw the copper-faces on-course in 1960+/- and was really hooked.

Closest I came was in 1963+/- when I bought a used CF4000 MT1 set with 1-9 +11 + Penna SW. Love 'en still.

[Later, my first (& last) new set was the mid 1980s MacGregor Custom 'wingbacks', also 1-9 +10 +SW. Love them too. But after using each set for 20-years+/-, the CF4000s chrome and (ceramic) faces show much-less wear.

But all in all, both sets to me are 'the stuff dreams are made of''.

[quote name='honketyhank' timestamp='1284860810' post='2703722']
MacGregor Golf
History -- Catalogs

edited by Jim Kaplan
Vintage Publishing Co.
Rancho Mirage, CA, 92270 (USA)

1-760-416-1115
info.vintagepublishing.com

All the above from my copy of the book. I tried the web address and I did not see how to get a copy. Maybe you need to call. It might well be out of print and unavailable.
[/quote]

JK is deceased.

Colokroms, very nice. But they don't quite "color my world", so to speak. But these TA's

[quote name='rex235' timestamp='1332783206' post='4584380']
From a LH point of view-

There are really only two MacGregor models-

The Mac TA SS 985,

[attachment=1089042:100_9808.JPG]
[/quote]

Now we're talking about THE MacGregor iron for the ages. What lovely, lovely lines and proportions. Wow.

Re late '50s, ear;y '60s MacHGregor irons:

Can anyone tell me what their 'MT1', 'MT2' , 'MT3' specs differences are?

In the attached photos, the 1 & 3-irons are 'MT1'; and the 2-iron is 'MT2'. The only differences I can see (besides rust) are the 2-iron:
- - has a thicker top line and
- - has a more curved sole.
But I don't know if those have anything to do with the 'MT2' spec.

Here's page-14 of the 1980 MacGregor Catalog about custom clubs. Handwritten on it are the MacGregor rep's 1982 notes:
- - Names: 'Mussleback'; Wingback; Tournet Custom 985' & that the Diamondback is 'not available'.
- - Pro-Pel shadts are 'no longer available'.

Not noted, (but I learned in 1982 uponr receiving the set of irons I'd ordered (months prior) - MacGregor's 'standard' plating finish was now 'brushed chrome' (and not 'bright' like the picture).. After the initial shock, I actually liked (and still do) the 'brushed chrome' finish.

[quote name='winwin' timestamp='1332888392' post='4594504']

In the attached photos, the 1 & 3-irons are 'MT1'; and the 2-iron is 'MT2'. The only differences I can see (besides rust) are the 2-iron:
[/quote]
MT 1,2 Or 3. Difference is basically shaft flex

[quote name='Ironmaster Oddities' timestamp='1332894596' post='4595114']
[quote name='winwin' timestamp='1332888392' post='4594504']

[/quote]
MT 1,2 Or 3. Difference is basically shaft flex
[/quote]

Head size , grip, shaft fles, weight. Think player, senior, lady for designations

CHARLEY PENNA

I like the look of some of the Silver Scots that I've seen, but there are so many others to consider.

Recommendations, please.

PS...I've seen reference to a Kaplan book on golf club history. What's the full title?
[/quote]

I would have to go with the Muirfield, Muirfield 20th and VIP. Maybe even the VIP Tour CB forged from the early 90's. I just like the overall shape of the heads better. The 985's toe area is way too square for my eye.

Whats in the Bag:
Srixon Zx7 MKII 10.5* set to 11.5* with 44" Dynamic Gold X100
Srixon Zx7 MKII 15* Fairway set to 16* with Hazrdous Stiff Graphite

Srixon Zx7 MKII 19* Hybrid with KBS Tour Prototype 85 Stiff Graphite
Srixon Zx7 4-PW with KBS $ Taper 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX6 50-54-58* Mid Grind Wedges with Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Spinner Shafts

Cleveland Frontline Elite CERO Putter
Intelligent Design TRUST Milled Putter 

[quote name='Seve0992' timestamp='1333477291' post='4640683']

Recommendations, please.

[/quote]

I would have to go with the Muirfield, Muirfield 20th and VIP. Maybe even the VIP Tour CB forged from the early 90's. I just like the overall shape of the heads better. [b][i][u]The 985's toe area is way too square for my eye[/u][/i][/b].
[/quote]

Interesting ... that is the club I grew up on. Played them from 1979 - 1990? Interesting how that influenced my preference in club design. The square toe has appealed to me since then.