2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

MIYAZAKI C.Kua Shafts *****

cashtoclose

Holy Mother of Pearl
Felt compelled to share some recent reviews of this shaft...I have nothing to do with the golf industry-unbiased but this I cannot keep to myself.
Recently had my TaylorMade TP Superfast reshafted with Miya. 43 stiff after hearing some success stories from a dealer-fitter. Was told all his LM testing showed greater swing speeds, greater ball speeds...and higher smash factors, coming from players of varying backgrounds. All this WITHOUT negative effects on launch and spin.

Worked for me too...swing speed went from 100-04 ave to 105-109 The club feels perfect, shaft is "fast" and very very stiff-stable, no lag, very low spin. Misses are still misses obviously, but center strikes just go further.

Here's where it gets interesting....freind of mine,, scratch senior once very active Am player, goes with the same shaft-combo in a 10* tour issue Burner head...same results "picked up easy ten yds" were his words. He was coming from R9tp with Ozik Altus. Guy is nearly 65 and absolutely moves it out there 275 or so.

Then, another player frien of mine, hits my combo while on the course, plays it the entire back nine..kills it. He's a good 2 index, coming from 905R-Graffolly red. So he likes it so much orders two Burner superfast TP's with Miyazaki 43 stiff, 8.5 and 9.5 to do his own comparison. Comes back later with the same conclusion "definitely longer".

Then again, first guy mentioned above gives his TM Superfast tour issue - Miya to another scratch player coming from r9460-Motore....boom...samething, player tests on course and hits it to places he's only rolled the ball to on his best previous drives. SS up, carry up, spin down. So he orders one made up to spec.

All above playing superfast TP-Miya 43 stiff untipped at 45.75" and D4 swingweight. No exageration, in the span of one week, 4 players, with a combined hdcp of less than 10, move to this combo and, through on course testing, at the same course, get the same results-increased swing speed, bal speed smash,, longer carry& roll, and decreased spin.

Have playted around a bunch with driver shaft combos, but never seen the "holy Sh&T "factor so high, so quickly, across several good players.
Thanks

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='jon2' timestamp='1285825320' post='2721154']
Did you play to same length?

I'll admit, I was a bit skeptical, but when it comes to shafts, I'll pretty much try anything. If I could pick up 4-5 extra mph... I would be ecstatic.
[/quote]

All above playing superfast TP-Miya 43 stiff untipped at 45.75" and D4 swingweight

[quote name='tbomb' timestamp='1285847670' post='2721305']
If they are the same length, that's impressive.

If they are simply longer, well not so magical.

Sounds like they have great potential and I bet we're going to start see more and more of these as stock shaft options.
[/quote]

same lgth-as posted 45.75, same driver head, same swingweight, same grip, tested on the LM, played on the same golf course---4 different players-index range from 0-4.

[quote name='cashtoclose' timestamp='1285853890' post='2721438']

Sounds like they have great potential and I bet we're going to start see more and more of these as stock shaft options.
[/quote]

same lgth-as posted 45.75, same driver head, same swingweight, same grip, tested on the LM, played on the same golf course---4 different players-index range from 0-4.
[/quote]

Sorry. I meant the drivers that they were put up against. Like the Tour Burner, 905R and R9460....Were they all 45.75?

I may have to slip one into my Ping, or another driver just to see...

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I have the 43 in stiff in a Ping Rapture V2 matched up with Winn LITE grip - uptipped and playing a little over 45.5 inches - not really sure I like it more than the Blueboard I pulled - most likely going to have it pulled and the Blueboard reinstalled - to the point of an earlier poster - I found the dispersion a little greater than the BB - and the distance really no better for me on average - now last weekend I did catch one on the screws and GPS told me total distance was 278 - which is about 20 yards further than my average - but again that was just one tee ball in the round - others were ok - but had some left pulls - guessing it was letting me get move over the top with the lighter shaft - I am a little higher handicap (around a 10) so thinking the ligher shaft is letting me get more 'handsy' than I already am

[quote name='tbomb' timestamp='1285857971' post='2721523']
[quote name='cashtoclose' timestamp='1285853890' post='2721438']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry. I meant the drivers that they were put up against. Like the Tour Burner, 905R and R9460....Were they all 45.75?
[/quote]

The 905r was 45 others were + a half or more. Point is I think we've all tried longer shafts, and some lighter-longer shaft combos, i have-but they usually come with greater spin and or dispersion issues. This one seems to not have those issues...spin rates are down or maintained at optimal, ball is not floating, comes down gracefully and runs bounces down our sprinkler soaked fairways.

I am certainly interested in this shaft, maybe looking to get the 39 in my R9 460 head.

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix 

One of the issues I have with the 43 is the butt size. Kind of reminds me of the old Goldwin AVDP shaft on their driver. It is a fat a** @.650. Now, .05" over .600 doesn't seem like much, but don't assume you can just slap any old grip on there and it will feel good in your hands, especially not your favorite one. A slightly oversize grip is +1/64". A moderately oversized grip is +1/32". The Miyazaki will play +1/20" and that is with a .600 core size. A .580 will feel even bigger. All you grip experts out there am I off on this? I think you will have to shop around for one that fits. Lamkin might make one. If you have big hands this is not a problem, but for guys wearing medium golf gloves this is an issue to consider.

The 39 and 59 models don't use the larger butt size.

[quote name='jimb' timestamp='1285882307' post='2722181']
One of the issues I have with the 43 is the butt size. Kind of reminds me of the old Goldwin AVDP shaft on their driver. It is a fat a** @.650. Now, .05" over .600 doesn't seem like much, but don't assume you can just slap any old grip on there and it will feel good in your hands, especially not your favorite one. A slightly oversize grip is +1/64". A moderately oversized grip is +1/32". The Miyazaki will play +1/20" and that is with a .600 core size. A .580 will feel even bigger. All you grip experts out there am I off on this? I think you will have to shop around for one that fits. Lamkin might make one. If you have big hands this is not a problem, but for guys wearing medium golf gloves this is an issue to consider.

The 39 and 59 models don't use the larger butt size.
[/quote]

Good point. The Mirazaki provided grip works fine, small enough and tapered down the lower end. It fifts slightly larger than a stnd grip size that i use and doesnt seem to bother me.
True though if you throw on a GPMC its going to feel like a midsize grip.

Do they feel super light? Or did they find a way to mask that somehow?

I usually have a hard time hitting anything under 75 grams.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT Axiom 105

PXG GEN4 T 4 - PW DG120 X100

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

Order placed today with Ken at custom victory golf for the 39 in a stiff, its gonna be the same length as my Oban Devotion so looking forward to seeing what happens when I fit it in my R9 460. I can get a bit fast with my hands so its going to be interesting to see how this shaft feels and performs, as usual I will post my findings!

Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix 

fwiw ... Miyazaki 39S is a 47 gram shaft, not 39.

Are there any other high end shafts in the 47-50 gram range? Wasnt Mickelson using a Fubuki that was around 50?

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

[quote name='autobot' timestamp='1286252985' post='2728950']
[quote name='JD3' timestamp='1286060365' post='2725138']
fwiw ... Miyazaki 39S is a 47 gram shaft, not 39.

[/quote]

Apparently the weight differs depending on the stiffness of the shaft
[/quote]
Thats always the case, but only by approx. 1 gram per flex

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

For those that have hit the C.Kua, how would you describe the feel? Is it "full" like a Diamana Blue or "chalky" like a ProForce?

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

• 2 weeks later...

C kua 39 s untipped in a R9 adapter to a finished length of 47", yes 47". Best combo I have hit. Gained 25 yards with tight dispersion.

Still finding out how to adjust the weights to get a swing weight of D2-D3.

The shaft weighs 47 grams, the Miyazaki grip is 40 grams. Does anyone know the weight of the R9 head without any MWT weights installed. I currently have the weights a 1-4-1 and do not have access to a swingweight scale.

Thanks.

[quote name='doc k' timestamp='1287530865' post='2750301']
C kua 39 s untipped in a R9 adapter to a finished length of 47", yes 47". Best combo I have hit. Gained 25 yards with tight dispersion.

Still finding out how to adjust the weights to get a swing weight of D2-D3.

[b]The shaft weighs 47 grams, the Miyazaki grip is 40 grams[/b]. Does anyone know the weight of the R9 head without any MWT weights installed. I currently have the weights a 1-4-1 and do not have access to a swingweight scale.

Thanks.
[/quote]
OK, so thats how they get to 39 versus a typical grip.

How does the grip feel? What if it wears out?

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

Grip is like a standard velvet feel, maybe a tad larger, but not quite the size of a midsize. The Winlite grip is even lighter at 25 or so grams. Having movable weight technology can help fine tune your driver swing weight -- of course I have several weights in different weights leftover from my R7 superquad.

I do believe there is a swingweight calculator somewhere on the internet, but cant seem to locate it.

Got a free Miyazaki hat in the process of purchasing the shaft from Ken at Victory Custom Golf.

Recently got my C Kua shaft (39s) and have had a couple of trips to the course so thought I would post my views. My previous set up was a r9 460 with an Oban devotion which has just been awesome, the best set up I have had to date, with this set up I have one excellent fairway finder, low launch and low spin.

I purchased the shaft from Ken at Victory custom golf and again dealing with him has been a very pleasurable experience, this man knows his stuff.

The C Kua has been fitted in the same r9 460 head and here are my views from a couple of sessions on the course and 3-4 sessions at the range.

Feel = The C Kua is a very nice feeling shaft and personally I prefer the feel to the Oban, to me it feels as if it is more flexible and has more kick. Even though the shaft is lighter (47 grams) the set up felt just as well balanced and I had no problems with control.

Accuracy = I would have to give the Oban Devotion the nod here with regard to accuracy but there isn't much in it, I certainly had no snap hooks whilst using the C Kua which is my disaster shot.

Flight = No stats to back this up just good old fashioned on course true to life testing but the C Kua launches higher. Very very nice trajectory, gets up flattens out, comes down and rolls out. My usual draw is still there and when needed cuts both high and low have been pulled off with very little fuss.

Distance = Again no figures here just on course thoughts. No magical 20 yard gains to report but the C Kua is the longer of the two shafts, hit some real beauties that have made my playing partners ask me about the new shaft I have. These are very early days with this shaft but hopefully I will have a session or two on trackman and get some actual figures.

Overall impressions are very very good on this shaft, I have had no problems with going to a lighter shaft, distance is up accuracy is still good (oban was exceptional) and I really enjoy the feel. I can recommend giving this shaft a try if you get the chance.

Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix 

• 5 years later...

Felt compelled to share some recent reviews of this shaft...I have nothing to do with the golf industry-unbiased but this I cannot keep to myself.

Recently had my TaylorMade TP Superfast reshafted with Miya. 43 stiff after hearing some success stories from a dealer-fitter. Was told all his LM testing showed greater swing speeds, greater ball speeds...and higher smash factors, coming from players of varying backgrounds. All this WITHOUT negative effects on launch and spin.

Worked for me too...swing speed went from 100-04 ave to 105-109 The club feels perfect, shaft is "fast" and very very stiff-stable, no lag, very low spin. Misses are still misses obviously, but center strikes just go further.

Here's where it gets interesting....freind of mine,, scratch senior once very active Am player, goes with the same shaft-combo in a 10* tour issue Burner head...same results "picked up easy ten yds" were his words. He was coming from R9tp with Ozik Altus. Guy is nearly 65 and absolutely moves it out there 275 or so.

Then, another player frien of mine, hits my combo while on the course, plays it the entire back nine..kills it. He's a good 2 index, coming from 905R-Graffolly red. So he likes it so much orders two Burner superfast TP's with Miyazaki 43 stiff, 8.5 and 9.5 to do his own comparison. Comes back later with the same conclusion "definitely longer".

Then again, first guy mentioned above gives his TM Superfast tour issue - Miya to another scratch player coming from r9460-Motore....boom...samething, player tests on course and hits it to places he's only rolled the ball to on his best previous drives. SS up, carry up, spin down. So he orders one made up to spec.

All above playing superfast TP-Miya 43 stiff untipped at 45.75" and D4 swingweight. No exageration, in the span of one week, 4 players, with a combined hdcp of less than 10, move to this combo and, through on course testing, at the same course, get the same results-increased swing speed, bal speed smash,, longer carry& roll, and decreased spin.

Have playted around a bunch with driver shaft combos, but never seen the "holy Sh&T "factor so high, so quickly, across several good players.

Thanks

I know this post is as old as the hills, but I like snooping some of the older posts since my equipment is older. I hope you receive some sort of notification about this late inquiry and don't mind addressing my question concerning this post. I have a particular interest in the Taylormade Superfast (TP and non-TP) and still play the non-TP today with a Miyazaki 43 Stiff. I have/had several of the Taylormade heads and to my knowledge the TP version only came in a .335 hosel (sp?). This leads me to my question. Since the Miyazaki C.Kua 43 and 39 are both .350 tip diameter shafts, how other than reaming/enlarging the club head hosel (sp?) could there be a fit? I have a SF TP 8.5 in pristine condition that I would love to try a Miyazaki 39 or 43 in to see what happens. By the way, the non-TP's were .350 hosel (sp?), so no problem the mating those up with the Miyazaki. Too, I don't know that I could stomach enlarging the hosel (sp?) on my TP. I'm going to have to learn how to spell that word - hosell, hossel, hozel, hozzell, hozell, hossle, whatever :-)

Sorry it took me so long to find someone experienced in this combination and hopefully I hear a response.

Thanks in advance!

Golfgrief