2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Almost hit by golf ball situation

Boogs2

I'm sure every one here has been hit or been close to being hit by a golf ball. I went through the situation where a guy hooks a high iron on a par 3 and lands about 3 feet behind me. I yell that they need to say fore and it turns into a yelling match. I'm annoyed and it ruins my entire round and my blood pressure shoots through the roof. After that, I've been good about not doing that again and have been patient. But lately, there have been times where I'm close to being hit 3 or 4 times in a round, sometimes in consecutive holes. What's a good way to handle the situation? Usually I just look at them and put my hands up...sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. What would you guys do if it happened to you 3 times in a row and the guys behind clearly arent getting the idea?

Titleist TSR2 8* or Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*???

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Titleist Vokey 54*

Titleist Vokey 60*

Taylormade MySpider Tour X 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there was a hole or more gap in front of you...let 'em play through. If you were waiting on the group in front of you, I would just tell them there isn't anywhere for you or them to go, and to back off and ensure you're out of their range the next time they're teeing off.

If there isn't anywhere for you to go and they keep at...tee one up and fire it right back at them. Kidding of course, but that would be funny so long as you didn't top/duff it or come up 50 yards short of their location ;)

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='ionakana511' timestamp='1286989505' post='2741410']
I'm sure every one here has been hit or been close to being hit by a golf ball. I went through the situation where a guy hooks a high iron on a par 3 and lands about 3 feet behind me. I yell that they need to say fore and it turns into a yelling match. I'm annoyed and it ruins my entire round and my blood pressure shoots through the roof. After that, I've been good about not doing that again and have been patient. But lately, there have been times where I'm close to being hit 3 or 4 times in a round, sometimes in consecutive holes. What's a good way to handle the situation? Usually I just look at them and put my hands up...sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. What would you guys do if it happened to you 3 times in a row and the guys behind clearly arent getting the idea?
[/quote]

If they are hitting into you repeatedly, and KNOW they are hitting into you, I would call the Pro Shop and ask to have them removed from the course.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Bad idea, you never know who is on the other end, you just never know. Now a days, not only are they carrying fourteen clubs in their bag but theyre carrying guns as well and to get into a shouting match with loose canon can be dangerous Trust me its not worth it, unless you carry one, than have at it.

[quote name='fairyinatie' timestamp='1286990366' post='2741430']
Hit it back to them.
[/quote]

I usually yell if they're far away "YELL FORE" but sometimes they dont get it and keep doing it. I thought about hitting it back into them but then I realize that I'll probably get into more trouble since I "intentionally" hit it back to them. I dont know what I would do, but I try to keep as calm as possible but sometimes they're just HUGE @-holes and nothing will stop them. The marshalls usually dont have any power so it kinda sucks that if they keep hitting into you nothing can be done. I'll probably just take their ball and pocket it lol.

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Titleist Vokey 54*

Titleist Vokey 60*

Calling the pro shop is the best non-confrontational way. My dad was hit in the head by a guy's drive and almost knocked him out. The group didn't yell fore and it almost became a really ugly situation. Everything ended up fine but it did put a damper on the round. For all who are playing it's best to yell fore even if you don't think it will hit someone.

[quote name='score72418' timestamp='1286992394' post='2741482']
Calling the pro shop is the best non-confrontational way. My dad was hit in the head by a guy's drive and almost knocked him out. The group didn't yell fore and it almost became a really ugly situation. Everything ended up fine but it did put a damper on the round. [b]For all who are playing it's best to yell fore even if you don't think it will hit someone.
[/b][/quote]

I agree...my friend bought his daughter who's like 4 years old and some guy almost hit her while she was in the cart (he couldnt find a babysitter last minute so he had to bring her along). The guy comes up, doesnt apologize, and asks if we've seen his ball. We say pretty sternly that he needs to yell fore and he responds "well I didnt know where my ball went". We just looked at each other and let it go because the guy was clearly lacking logic....thats the point of yelling fore, if you dont know where your ball is going or if its headed towards an area populated by people. I just dont understand why yelling FORE is such a taboo or "uncool" thing with a lot of players today. Maybe cause they see that tour players dont yell fore that they can do the same thing, but they dont realize that thare are course marshalls almost every couple of yards watching for player's tee shots. Unfortunately, its just part of the game we play in.

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Titleist Vokey 54*

Titleist Vokey 60*

[quote name='kevcarter ' timestamp='1286989888' post='2741420']
[/quote]

If they are hitting into you repeatedly, and KNOW they are hitting into you, I would call the Pro Shop and ask to have them removed from the course.

Kevin
[/quote]

+2. Just call the clubhouse.

[quote name='BogeyDog11' timestamp='1287018012' post='2742086']
[quote name='kevcarter ' timestamp='1286989888' post='2741420']
[/quote]

Kevin
[/quote]

+2. Just call the clubhouse.
[/quote]

+3. iPhones work well in this regard. I took a video of someone doing it to me and showed it to the marshall when he passed by. He kicked them from the course, and when they argued with him the GM kicked them for a month. I posted their pathetic "fail" on my FaceBook "Wall-of-Shame" for all to see. Technology is your friend.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

OP, there are times when you almost get hit "3-4 times a round" Holy Crap! I would find a new place to play. I think we have all almost been hit a time or two, but 3-4 times A ROUND seems way excessive.

Nike Vapor Pro Blades 5-PW
Nike Unitized Putter
Nike Covert Driver
Nike Engage Wedges
Nike CPR 5 Wood (yes the original CPR)
NIKE Sasquatch 3 Wood

Hit it back to them.
[/quote]

While hitting into someone is inexcusable, it can legally be seen as an accident. Hitting it back at the offender is assault.

Cobra Fly-Z driver
Cobra Speed LD 3 wood
Adams LS 3 hybrid
TM Rocketbladez 4 - AW
Ping Tour 56
TM ATV 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

[quote name='RICKYBOBBY' timestamp='1287052366' post='2742480']
OP, there are times when you almost get hit "3-4 times a round" Holy Crap! I would find a new place to play. I think we have all almost been hit a time or two, but 3-4 times A ROUND seems way excessive.
[/quote]

lol...yeah...there's only like 2 or 3 courses that a lot of people who dont know the rules of golf play at. But most courses are pretty good and when I yell they usually get the point, but the time I posted in the first post, that was the most extreme. It was about to come to blows and I think the guy was PG County police so he definitely had that arrogant attitude that he can get away with anything (pg county cops have a bad rep in my area for being @-holes on duty and off duty). I just hate it when you say something and they dont even apologize or acknowledge that they hit an errant shot, they just say "did you see my ball". Next time i'll just take it...lol

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Titleist Vokey 54*

Titleist Vokey 60*

Best to atleast inform the marshal of what is happening, hopefully they will speak to the offender. While it might feel good to hit the ball back at them it could lead to things getting out of hand and someone going to far which could results in the courts getting involved, if you know what I mean black%20eye.gif . Besides I like the idea of keep their golf ball if you have a chance the next time it came too close for comfort......consider it payment for their errant shot, hopefully they are playing a high-end golf ball......lol.

[quote name='Jens0n' timestamp='1287056905' post='2742523']
A note with a Sharpie on their golf ball, something to the effect of "please refrain from repeatedly hitting your ball at us" or some other words of your choosing might work!
:0)
[/quote]

Very good idea I am loading a Sharpie in my bag ASAP.

Avoid the issues surrounding hitting it back at them, just 7iron it OB/ into the water/ trees. Though you might get an enraged owner charging up the 250 yards (sorry on the web 320yards) of fairway driver in hand.

Saw my father do it many years ago, my brother a friend and I were out with him. The course was full, so everyone was waiting. The third time two balls bounced around us, after he had politely asked them twice to refrain from hitting into us etc etc, he just casually walked to each ball and chipped them over the fence and down the road. He didnt raise his voice or appear at all flustered just carried on as if nothing was amiss at all. Quite effective in rural NZ in the 70's might be a touch problematic in the tooled up US of A in the 21st century.

I remember playing one time with my ex-brother in law and his father when a group behind us hit into us 2 or 3 times. First few times he would say somehing to them but the last time, picked up their balls, and started walking back to the tee where they were standing and after that they did not hit a single ball close to us.

[quote name='Sandman600' timestamp='1286990965' post='2741444']
Bad idea, you never know who is on the other end, you just never know. Now a days, not only are they carrying fourteen clubs in their bag but [b]theyre carrying[/b] [b]guns as well[/b] and to get into a shouting match with loose canon can be dangerous Trust me its not worth it, unless you carry one, than have at it.

Hit it back to them.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Wow am I glad I live in Canada!!! No holsters, no problem.

I've done the hit it back at them thing when I was really young, but now I realize the consequences. If they were clearly close enough to see where we were and still hit at us, I just pick up their ball, give them a wave and put it straight in my pocket. If they come and apologize I give it right back to them, but if not I tell them where to go. Some people would label me the a**hole in this situation.....meh.

I do like that Sharpie message idea though. That might be my new one.

"Avoid the issues surrounding hitting it back at them, just 7iron it OB/ into the water/ trees. Though you might get an enraged owner charging up the 250 yards (sorry on the web 320yards) of fairway driver in hand."

I have been hit into a few times and usually it is followed by a huge apology and a holy cow I've never hit a ball that far before but the few times I havent recieved a apology then I make sure to let the group behind me see me hit there ball into the drink or woods depending on the course. Nobody has ever said anything to me but I am 6'2" 255 and the smallest guy in my regular 4some. Just sayin.

[/quote]

If it doesn't hit you, then you're ok. Ask yourself what you're expecting should happen when a ball lands a bit too close. Is it possible your group is playing too slow, or those behind think your groups the cause of slow play. Instead of hollering back, try walking back with a 3i in hand, and calmly request the players to pay attention because you don't want to see anyone get hurt. Another option is call the pro shop and tell them to send someone out to mediate the situation, as it could escalate.

As an after thought - take the woman along that's in your avatar... she could stop anything. :D

• TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

either that course you play is really busy or you just attract golf balls hit by people who don't yell fore. even if my ball is going towards a group that won't reach them I yell fore just in case.
today's golf is now being played by MANY dolts who just don't understand/respect the game and it's ETIQUETTE! pisses me off!

I have almost gotten into fist fights over this. I wait until they get close and I say something like "Can you guys wait 5 seconds? You are hitting into us!" Then of course they say something to me like it's my fault I was playing on the golf course. It makes me go absolutley ape s**t when someone tries to talk back to me with no reason or incorrect facts. I just cant deal with it.

I hit into a group of players on a green once. I saw a group leave the green, I then hit, and there were still people there. I was behind a hil and couldnt seel. I was quiet until they finished putting and went right over and apologized sincerely that I had no idea they were there. Problem solved issue over. I was wrong so I apologize. Simple freakin concept and I have NOOOOOOO patience for stupidity anymore. I just cant stand it

.russian_roulette.gifrussian_roulette.gifrussian_roulette.gifrussian_roulette.gifrussian_roulette.gif

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist T100 / Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

Had a guy hit into our group on 2 consecutive holes before, both times we were standing on the next teebox! They were at least 40 yards from the green and in plain view. We hollered back the first time for them to yell fore. The second time, I placed his ball on a tee exactly where it landed (on the teebox). We hit our shots and walked down the fairway. As I turned back to see if the guy got to his ball, he flipped me off! I about lost it and started walking back in his direction. I couldn't believe that we had indicated to him twice that he hit into us and he had the nerve to flip us off! We were a half hole ahead of them and the course was busy. My buddy told me to let it go, so I stopped and just swore at the guy for a minute. I've never been so mad on the course before. Next time I'll just pocket his ball.

One of my favorite things to do when this happens is to simply run over the ball with my cart. Bummer man...plugged lie!

Last time it happened to our group we were on the green of a par-5 at our home course, with a thick wooded area just behind the green. The green wasn't visible from where the group behind us was hitting, but the next tee-box was, and they knew we weren't on it yet, which means they knew we were still on the green. Picked the d-bag's ball up, threw it into the woods, and told the guy he airmailed the green and hit it into the trees when he drove by asking where it went as we were stepping up to the next tee box. As I see it, I acted as an instrument of karma, which chose to penalize the f-stain on his scorecard for his negligent actions. Hope the pentaly stroke cost the t-burglar a C-note or two to one of his playing partners.

I rarely get hit into, but it happens. Blind tee shot/approach shot's will happen, and if your not visible, then it's really not a huge issue to me.

However, this past weekend, I was playing in North Carolina, on a course I've played a few times before. Really hilly, blind shots, all that good stuff, and never had a problem until this past weekend.

Ended up pairing up with 2 older guys, who were a hoot play with, but were terrible golfers. Stopped keeping score, lost 2-3 balls a hole, and mainly were interested in the scenery and the laughs. That was fine, as it made me loosen up, and I was playing exceptionally well!

The group behind us, had 2 middle age guys and their fathers with them. One of the guys I was paired with, left a club on 17, and they brought it to him, and he was pretty thankful.. Anyways.. This jerk that brough the club back, was a real tool on 17, waiting for us to tee off on the par 3, because he drove his ball into the wrong fairway, over a large creek.. Talked and yelled to his group from our tee box the whole time.

Anyways---

Downhill par 4, you can see the green. 355 yard hole, driveable green due to the downhill slope with a slight draw. I drive, then chip onto the back of the green, and these guys hit the ball around and we are all on the 18 green putting out. One of the younger guys who brought the lost club to us on 17, drove the green, and missed one of the guys by mere feet, and it rolled within feet of me while I was standing to the side waiting my turn to putt!!

I was PISSED.. Look back at them, and they are all looking, and acting like they didn't know what happened. I putt, grab my ball and watch the group tee off, all coming up short of the green, one guy putting it into the greenside bunker behind us.. The guys with me, didn't think anything of the near miss, claiming, we needed to be nice because he brought the club back to them. I told them I didn't give a damn. That was WAY too close, and not a WORD from the group on the tee box.

I went ahead and banged the guys ball off the green, which is perched on the side of a mountain. Slide down the mountain about 100 yards into the "never to be found again" woods. It was a shame too.. putting for eagle inside 25 feet.

Wasn't real mature, but it goes to show that some people don't care about others well being, and some people like the guys I was paired with, will excuse poor behavior on a course because of ignorance.

Chances are the guy didn't even know where his ball landed, hope he enjoyed his ride back to the tee box.

I've figured out people don't yell FORE, because they don't like to broadcast that they hit a terrible shot. Thats not always the case, but generally it is.