2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Ping Eye 2 woods

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were probably lofted somewhat weaker than their modern equivalents.

I can't find any info on the Eye2 woods, but Ping's website lists the lofts for the zing laminate woods as:

#3 = 16.5
#4 = 19
#5 = 22
#6 = 25
#7 = 29

(source: http://community.pinggolf.com/community/index.cfm?page=knowledge_display&knowledge_id=327 )

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the driver was around 11* or 11.5*.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Eye2 woods have very similar lofts to the Zing woods. If anything, I would think the Eye2 woods would have more loft, since the Zing irons had significantly stronger lofts than the original Eye2 irons. I've played with them, and they definitely have more loft than modern clubs with the same numbers.

You could probably contact Ping and get it straight from the horse's mouth.

Thanks Prof Doom, makes sense as i occasionally still hit my eye 2 5 wood and it appears to go about as far as my G5 9 wood.
I got the 5 wood for Christmas back around 87 and it was the only wood I used for years... I wonder why I even bother with other woods, I was much better then! Bag consisted of: Ping eye 2 5 wood, Daiwa try-power irons and a ping zing putter = better golfer!

Adams XTD 10.5
TM RBZ Stage 2 16.5* or PING G25 17* Hyd
PING G25 20*, 23*, 27*, 31*
PING G30 Irons 6 thru S
Cleveland Niblick (2008) 49* 56* or
PING EYE 2 Gorge S & L
Bobby Grace F-22 Long Putter

[quote name='professor_doom' timestamp='1288749884' post='2771289']
They were probably lofted somewhat weaker than their modern equivalents.

I can't find any info on the Eye2 woods, but Ping's website lists the lofts for the zing laminate woods as:

#3 = 16.5
#4 = 19
#5 = 22
#6 = 25
#7 = 29

(source: http://community.pinggolf.com/community/index.cfm?page=knowledge_display&knowledge_id=327 )

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the driver was around 11* or 11.5*.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Eye2 woods have very similar lofts to the Zing woods. If anything, I would think the Eye2 woods would have more loft, since the Zing irons had significantly stronger lofts than the original Eye2 irons. I've played with them, and they definitely have more loft than modern clubs with the same numbers.

You could probably contact Ping and get it straight from the horse's mouth.
[/quote]

I believe these lofts are correct for the Eye2s as well as the Zings.

The Eye2 model had several different lofted drivers. Working from memory here, I think the lofts were 10.5, 12, 13.5 and 15 respectively for color codes green, black, red and orange. The dot in the middle of the eye was where the color changed. The Zing woods were the same specs, with the number 1 on the sole of the club being where the color changed.

But I agree it is best to check with Ping to be absolutely sure. They are very good about responding to such requests.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

[quote name='stockers72' timestamp='1288750690' post='2771306']
Thanks Prof Doom, makes sense as i occasionally still hit my eye 2 5 wood and it appears to go about as far as my G5 9 wood.
I got the 5 wood for Christmas back around 87 and it was the only wood I used for years... I wonder why I even bother with other woods, I was much better then! Bag consisted of: Ping eye 2 5 wood, Daiwa try-power irons and a ping zing putter = better golfer!
[/quote]

The swingweights on Ping woods tend to be on the light side (approx C8), so one time I picked up a used Eye2 5 wood and extended it to 43 inches. That was my go to fairway wood for years, providing the forgiveness of the extra loft with, for me anyway, the distance of a 3 wood.

It was an extreme version of what Spalding used to do with their "half woods." They sold a lot of those where the 2 1/2 had a 3 wood loft and a 2 wood length, and so on for the 3 1/2 and the 4 1/2. I remember a piece in a 1970s era Golf Digest where they did a WITB with Al Geiberger and he carried a driver, 3 1/2 wood and three wedges. This was years before Tom Kite popularized the 60 degree, although they didn't give the lofts of Al's three wedges so I don't know that the most lofted one was 60 degrees.

--Rory McIlroy 

There must be something to those old Ping woods--they're the only wooden clubs you still see in people's bags. One old guy I played with said he has a garage packed to bursting with clubs and has yet to find fairway woods as balanced as the eye2's he had in his bag. Back in '05 or '06, I had a high school match against a guy who consistently outdrove me (and I was one of the longest guys on my team), bagging what must have been his father's old woods. 1, 3, and 4. I was playing a Nicklaus AirBear titanium driver (which itself is probably considered a classic now) with this bright orange graphite shaft that everyone called "the light saber." I'm pretty sure they were either Zing or ISI Tour woods. Steel shafts and this to-die-for blonde finish. I'm pretty sure that's what started my fascination with classic clubs.

Funny thing is that when I finally bought a set of Eye2 woods in a thrift store (black, sadly, not the lovely blonde finish I so envied), I found I couldn't hit them well at all. Even on the driver, I'd either blow up or hook every shot. The light swingweight Shallowface pointed out might have something to do with it, and 12* is way more loft than my other drivers--9* with titanium and 10* with persimmon seem to be the magic numbers for me. The shaft wasn't to my liking either--the lower half especially isn't nearly as stiff as I'd like. Talk about disappointment.

I'm kind of surprised that the dot color refers to loft with the woods, since it denotes lie with the irons. Then again, I guess lie doesn't matter as much with woods. I'm also surprised that they should offer lofts as ridiculous as 15*, although I guess that (in combination with the light, soft shaft) would be great for seniors.

The orange dot was mostly a ladies model, although since all of the Ping Woods of that time, including the ladies models, had stiff steel shafts a lot of guys used the red and orange dots for strong fairway woods. Just put in a shaft extender and you get the length you want plus increasing the swingweight to a more comfortable level.

I've never seen this for myself, and perhaps one of our refinishing experts could chime in here, but someone told me that the Ping Woods were hollowed out under the soleplate, thus creating a perimeter weighted laminated wood. Love to know if this is true or not.

Karsten didn't introduce a metal wood until, I believe, the mid 1990s, and the ISI Tour laminated woods were sold up until around 2001. Karsten was on record as saying he didn't believe the early metal woods were any better, or maybe not even as good, as his laminated models. I would agree with that, although it no doubt cost the company some sales as the metals gained in popularity.

--Rory McIlroy 

The ISI Tour, the final iteration of Ping's laminated woods, were definitely hollowed out under the sole; they even had a plastic window to let you see that. It wouldn't surprise me to find out the earlier models were as well, since they were huge compared to other wooden clubs and probably couldn't have been as light as they were without cutting some wood out.

I would say ol' Karsten was correct in his assessment of early metalwoods That's probably why you still saw wooden clubs, including Pings, on tour until '98 or '99.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just sold a set of Ping Eye 2 woods. I loved hitting them. Replaced them with the Ping Zing blonde woods.

Beautiful clubs. Which set do you prefer? Is either more fade biased?

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

I just sold a set of Ping Eye 2 woods. I loved hitting them. Replaced them with the Ping Zing blonde woods.

Beautiful clubs. Which set do you prefer? Is either more fade biased?

I hit both straight as an arrow. They feel very similar. I just prefer the look of the blondes. I have different shafts in the two sets though. My blondes have DG S300 shafts and the Eye 2s had ZZ Lite shafts.

• 1 month later...

What ball do you guys play when hitting "wood" woods?............

I'm currently using Callaway Supersoft. I also like Lady Pinnacle Gold.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I use the z star currently

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

I believe your best bet is to stay with a low compression ball. I use Wilson Duo myself.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

• 1 month later...

I was recently asked to refinish a set(1,3,5 & 7) of 1988 - 91 Men's R/H Ping Eye 2 woods and noticed they had serial or registration numbers on each of the sole plates. The driver had the letter " B " followed by 6 numbers stamped on the sole plate. The other 3 woods had 5 or 6 numbers only stamped on each of the sole plates. Does anyone have an idea what the numbers represent ? Does anyone know a web site I can go to help me decipher their meaning?

Blair

Canada

"One Day At a Time"

I was recently asked to refinish a set(1,3,5 & 7) of 1988 - 91 Men's R/H Ping Eye 2 woods and noticed they had serial or registration numbers on each of the sole plates. The driver had the letter " B " followed by 6 numbers stamped on the sole plate. The other 3 woods had 5 or 6 numbers only stamped on each of the sole plates. Does anyone have an idea what the numbers represent ? Does anyone know a web site I can go to help me decipher their meaning?

Blair

Canada

PING customer service should be able to help. Think you just need to go to the 'Contact Us' section on their site. Just email them with the serial numbers that you have.