2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

There's something about Titleist..

Grant076

I don't know what it is with me, but I just can't stand a Titleist golf club. I love the ball, and love the Scotty Cameron putters though. I have honestly hit every Titleist club out there (I'm a sales associate at Edwin Watts, so I have to have a little feedback on product)..I hit the 695MB, 695CB, 735CM, 905 drivers, fairway woods, wedges..they just don't do it for me!

I know that clubs are all opinion and what you like looking down on and ultimately what you hit well. Any others out there that don't like Titleist as much as I do??

I always notice peoples signatures and I would say a good 65-75% of GolfWRXs have some Titleist club.

I have also heard "How can you not like Titleist, all the tour players use it" Yes, I know that many tour players and professionals use Titleist equipment, but everything is a prototype, and super tweaked for them.

With that being said I'll go hit a Titleist club soon and end up loving it. haha, got to love golf!

ROGUE 10.5 // HZRDUS BLK
G410 17.5 // EVENFLOW BLK
TITLEIST U510 4 // HZRDUS
SRIXON Z765 // MODUS 3
FOURTEEN 50 56 60 // KBS
EDEL

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's *THE* players brand. At least in the U.S. :drinks:

*EDIT* I'm in the U.S. and use none of their stuff.....had some Spin Milled wedges and thought I'd found the perfect Cameron putter---not so much.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

I agree with the original poster and would add that Titleist irons to me are like American cars of a few years ago - heavy and clunky.

But some people like that feel.

I say, please enjoy and play well with them!

Tity Balls - overpriced. Scotty Putters - overpriced.

Just proves there is a market out there for everyone. I'm sure many people wouldn't like my clubs.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I'll play almost any brand that works...at the moment I dont have a titleist product in my bag..but I plan to get whatever version of the 906F(x) that comes out...and I'll always have my proto vokey's.

I hit the 905R on the Trackman yesterday and while I didn't think they were as outstanding as my FT-3 I really have nothing negative to say either. The club was solid.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

I understand what you mean - I feel the same way about Taylormade drivers (all the tour use + the rave reviews on the boards), I've hit just about everyone, mostly the TP's and Tour - have not found one that I have liked.

Love the Titleist drivers though - especially the K and R. Looks and feels better to me than anything else out there.

Vokey's -- "off the shelf" -- to me the best wedges out there.

Irons - never been a huge fan of the Titleist feel - love the Mizuno's.

It's good to have all the choices - something out there for everyone!!

I have never liked the feel of any Titleist irons, although i like the looks of them. looks, although important at address, don't get the ball on the green for me. The drivers are pretty good, BUT you had better be able to hit it flush EVERY TIME for max distance. For this reason I sold my almost new 905 on eBay. The only Titleist thing in my bag is a Slighter-ized Cameron Newport putter,which I love dearly. PING ISI BeNi Irons and my KZG Gemini driver, for ME anyway, are much better than anything Titleist currently offers.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

I always notice peoples signatures and I would say a good 65-75% of GolfWRXs have some Titleist club.

I have also heard "How can you not like Titleist, all the tour players use it" Yes, I know that many tour players and professionals use Titleist equipment, but everything is a prototype, and super tweaked for them.

Don't want to get pissy with a fellow southpaw, but what's the point of your thread? To each their own. If everyone wrote a thread about things they didn't like this board would be a mess. I probably fall into the category you are pointing out. As a lefty, same as you, you know that Titliest is very good to us southpaws by offering almost everything left-handed (except putters). To me this builds a certain loyalty, but not if I can't hit it as you see in my WITB. We still can't get a forged iron from Taylor Made.

I have also had very good luck getting demo clubs from Titleist which you know for a lefty isn't easy. Wanted a set of TA& tours a while ago, I could never get a demo club to hit let alone one to look at in person. I'm not into Tour equipment (to much $$ for me) but from my reading Titleist retail is more similar to the tour stuff than alot of other companies. Now that I'm reading my response I'm not sure what I'm saying either except leave these types of thread to other sites. In fact this site is great because it's not OEM biased like others. Let's keep it that way. :drinks:

totally agree with the original poster...Titleist clubs look great to me, but they just don't work for me...the irons always feel heavy and clunky (could be the stock DG's), the drivers aren't that forgiving, nor are the wedges.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Srixon ZX5 4-AW
Titleist SM10 Raw 54*, 58*

Evnroll ER1.2 Tour Blade

Chrome Soft X Trutrack '24

Vessel Lite Lux

Don't want to get pissy with a fellow southpaw, but what's the point of your thread? To each their own. If everyone wrote a thread about things they didn't like this board would be a mess.

Funny thing is, more than a few threads here somehow transform into the type of thread you speak of. Even if a thread starts out neutral or trying to assess the positive, there's always someone who jumps in to dump on gear . . . whoever the manufacturer. More tolerant and open than some other sites, perhaps, but plenty of non-neutrality lurks just below the surface.

"To each their own" . . . agreed, but not everyone gets it.

As for my two cents on Titleist, if I had the cash, I might indulge in a little Tity fetishism. Heck, I'd still love to get my hands on a 10.5 983K to see if it works for me.

But, by the same token, there's plenty of good golf that can be played without that name in your bag (or any other particular name)

At one point, I had the 975J driver, 762 irons, and a vokey wedge in my bag. I eventually switched to another driver, first cleveland launcher, because of the increase in size and technology. I won a set of Nike Pro Combo's on a raffle and dumped the 762's. But looking back, IMO, Titleist builds on what has worked for them for years. Unfortunately, again IMO, they have sacrificed innovation by "rehashing" their products. The drivers truly haven't improved greatly since the 975D, they've only gotten bigger. The irons are still solid, but how many different cosmetic appearances can you give a blade and CB? The fairways have come a long way and the protos look nice. Luckily, Vokey and the V1 ball lineup have been improved upon model after model.

In summary, they make good predictable products that nurses a lot of peoples resistance to change.

what do you want... fake rivets from titleist.. I dont think so. :drinks:

anyways the only issue I have with Titleist is the non-release on some of their best equipment.

1. 970 series FW... solid as hell...

2. 975 LFF Which I still think is the best driver they have built to date

3. 906F2 maybe we will get lucky and get the 906F3

4. 690CH ..wonderful forgiving undercut channel forged CB... I would put them in the innovative catagory.

Anyways Titleist will always be about the BALL...

I don't know what it is with me, but I just can't stand a Titleist golf club. I love the ball, and love the Scotty Cameron putters though. I have honestly hit every Titleist club out there (I'm a sales associate at Edwin Watts, so I have to have a little feedback on product)..I hit the 695MB, 695CB, 735CM, 905 drivers, fairway woods, wedges..they just don't do it for me!

I know that clubs are all opinion and what you like looking down on and ultimately what you hit well. Any others out there that don't like Titleist as much as I do??

With that being said I'll go hit a Titleist club soon and end up loving it. haha, got to love golf!

To bad you didn't get to hit a set of 660s. Totally different than the other models. I guess I remain puzzled why Titleist offers so many SKUs in forged irons. The fairways are a consistent non seller. I've found the only 905R driver that remotely competes with the others out today is the 7.5---at least it doesn't put as much spin on the ball as a wedge like the others do :drinks:

To bad you didn't get to hit a set of 660s. Totally different than the other models. I guess I remain puzzled why Titleist offers so many SKUs in forged irons. The fairways are a consistent non seller. I've found the only 905R driver that remotely competes with the others out today is the 7.5---at least it doesn't put as much spin on the ball as a wedge like the others do :drinks:

Could it be that you're hitting the Titleist irons indoors? That could at least have an effect on sound. In terms of feel, yeah I agree. A lot of the irons are clunky and heavy. It's more higher swing speeds I'm assuming. But there is a difference between sound when you hit one inside a store and outdoors where there is open space.

Could it be that you're hitting the Titleist irons indoors? That could at least have an effect on sound. In terms of feel, yeah I agree. A lot of the irons are clunky and heavy. It's more higher swing speeds I'm assuming. But there is a difference between sound when you hit one inside a store and outdoors where there is open space.

I don't know about the other poster but I would never hit any iron or wood inside. Tells you nothing.

I just put a set of 735.CM irons in my bag. Great set. Good feel. Easy to hit, but workable. Not sure what's not to like about that.

Played in a club match last weekend. Lots of good players there including State Open qualifiers, College players, etc. You would not believe all the Titleist gear in the bags. (Ok, maybe you would...) :drinks: Drivers (983 and 905S and 905R) and irons (all models, lots of 690.CB's.) A few fw woods (904's.)

Perhaps the college players get it for free, but all the other players there would have had to foot their own bill for clubs. Maybe Titleist isn't for everyone, but good players seem to eat up their stuff.

I am a HUGE Titleist fan.........I have the 695MB's (best look and feel) and the Vokey spin milled (best wedges on the market by far), Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport and Cobra Optica,i needed a big putter to help my stroke (still Acushnet though). But i use the Callaway Ft-3 Fusion and i can honestly say that this driver has better feel than any Titleist driver ever.

And always gotta use Pro-V1's.

I am just the opposite. I played Callaway for 10+ years. This year after breaking my Callaway ERC Fusion Driver I started experimenting with other brands. I hit the 905R on the launch monitor and my numbers were off the charts better than anything else. Then I tried the wedges. Then a 3 wood. Finally, I decided to try the irons and again the launch monitor numbers were very good. So, I took the plunge. Now I am 99% with my 2-ball standing in the way of 100%. Would you believe I'm looking for a Scotty? Believe it!! For some reason, Titleist just fit my swing.

DID YOU EAT A LOT OF PAINT CHIPS WHEN YOU WERE YOUNGER????

TITLEIST IS SEXY!!!!!!

Nathan

I'm another who at one point was always trying to like Titleist equipment. This was during the DCI original-962-990-762 eras. I tried them both in regular and "B" models. I was trying hard to be a "serious player". It was just so "in" to using Titleist.

My exprience was that they were generally heavy overall weight and harsh. I was spoiled learning the game through Wilson and Hogan forgings, which by the way had stock shafts that fit me better. Firestick 2.8 and Apex4.

Titleist seems to have solved the heavy and clunky feel issues though in the past few years/models from the ones I have demoed. Unfortunately they are more options now as well at better price points and with better tech.

I was again trying to like the 695s in both CB and MB. Somehow the 690 (1st run) feels better.

Better ams and not made it yet pros love Titleist because they feel it puts them up there in the "serious" playa category with the tour pros. Lest we all forget...if Titleist quit paying the BIG bucks on tour how many would play the equipment. I know I know the eternal question on every thread ever created on the internet...but the truth is Titleist Taylormade and Cally are the biggest payers on Tour...thus the biggest used. Golfers don't like to admit it but we all use what we see the most in ads etc. We are easily swayed in the U.S. towards the heaviest marketed products. Example...Mizuno was the no. 1 iron on tour 8 straight years...Taylormade openly said in mags and on tour that they were going to take over that title. In one year of writing blank checks to players they took over no. 1. I believe this was 2001 or 2002. Money talks to a pro and it doesn't matter if you make the perfect irons or woods for everyone in the world. Its not just Titleist...its every equipment company that has heavy presence on tour...it is all purchased. Sonartec is about the only hitting product on tour that hasn't bought their way into the masses.