2011 Ogio Grom with 14 way top

Just Got One - Pics and Comments
For 2011 Ogio has revamped the Grom with their new "diamond lite" 14 way top with full length dividers. I just got one last week and thought I'd post a few pics (and a few comments) since there were none to be found around the web when I was looking.

Ogio has kept the features list on the 2011 Grom pretty much the same and it still has all the things we loved about it (zipperless ball pocket, torque strap, arc lite stand, loads of pockets, etc.) but they've also changed up a few other things in addition to adding the new top:

Weight - It's clear Ogio recognized last years Grom was way too heavy as they've made some changes to reduce weight. Gone is the clunky handle and in it's place is a simple rubber job similar to what Sun Mountain uses. The back pad has been changed as well to a simpler, lighter design that is softer than last years. The fabric has been changed to a diamond nylon that looks similar to what Sun Mountain uses on the Four 5 but feels thicker and more supple (the Sun Mountain fabric felt thin and stiff to me). While this Grom is lighter than the last couple years models, it's still by no means an ultralight bag now either. I haven't seen a published weight on this bag but as someone who's owned several generations of Groms it seems that the 2011 version weighs about the same as the "old" version of 4-5 years ago. Those bags were heavier but were manageable and given the extra features they had the bit of extra weight was a fair trade-off. That's where I think this bag is.

Low profile ball silo - I was never a huge fan of the ball silo but the updated one on this years bag is fine. It's recessed partially into the bag and it's been redesigned to eliminate the rails that held the balls in. It doesn't look overly odd if you choose not to use it since it's not protruding up from the bag.

14 way diamond lite top - The new top has 2 integral handles built in, one right and one left of the center of the bag. This is a nice feature and they fit the hand perfectly when reaching back to take the bag off the shoulder and they're also perfect when grabbing the bag with both hands to place on a cart. The top design itself has center section with dividers higher than the sides. After playing around with configuration in the bag I finally concluded the way Ogio intended the top to be used was to place the longer clubs in the center section with raised dividers and the shorter clubs around the sides. This prevented the shorter irons from banging into the shafts of the longer irons. The only drawback to this top design is that it doesn't have a dedicated slot for the putter and since this is a full height bag the putter doesn't bottom out no matter what slot you choose to place it in. One thing I did figure out though was that if you placed the putter in one of the upper slots, the headcover actually was held in place between the raised center divider and the raised outer divider. In my pictures I'm showing the putter in a bottom compartment, because of this revelation I now have it in the second slot from the top (where my 8 iron is in the pics), right under my 3 wood. It seems to work well that way but if it becomes a problem I plan to go with the tube in the slot method to block the bottom and get the putter to bottom out.

All in all it's a great bag and one you should definitely check out if you're looking for a stand bag with a 14 way top. This bag is about as close to a true multi use bag as I've come across.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate the review and I love Ogio products (even if their bags are a touch heavy). Not sure the 14 way diamond top will beat the Woode method...I honestly haven't found anything that I like better. The lack of a putter pit is what would frustrate me on this bag. It can't be as bad as the non-functional putter pit in the Ping Latitude...you can't fit any putter with a cover (including Ping putters) in that thing.

How is the handle? Honestly, that has become something I pay attention to now...Ogio had good handles, but I can see were they might add weight.

nice, this is on my christmas list and if santa doesnt bring it to my house this saturday. ill head to my local edwin watts to pick up the red/black one that i had ordered a couple of weeks ago just to check it out (thats it santa hasnt grabbed it yet?). i wanted to make sure this was my bag i wanted and its a great looking bag.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

[quote]I appreciate the review and I love Ogio products (even if their bags are a touch heavy). Not sure the 14 way diamond top will beat the Woode method...I honestly haven't found anything that I like better. The lack of a putter pit is what would frustrate me on this bag. It can't be as bad as the non-functional putter pit in the Ping Latitude...you can't fit any putter with a cover (including Ping putters) in that thing.

How is the handle? Honestly, that has become something I pay attention to now...Ogio had good handles, but I can see were they might add weight.

[/quote]

I'm kind of indifferent to the top config myself and as someone who's also an Ogio fan and owned many a Woode bag it's really kind of a toss-up for me. I wish this new one had a putter pit as well and if it had one Ogio would have designed the perfect bag. The top is better than the Latitude and for that matter the Nike SQ. I suppose now that we all used putter covers having a dedicated putter pit is irrelevant anyway.

As for the handle - it's fine IMHO. I find with bags that have integral handles built into the top I use them 99% of the time anyway instead of the handle attached to the bag.

Thanks for the intensive review. I use Ogio stand bags and have an older 2008 Edge (White/Navy/Gold and before the plastic front) and Nexos (Tan/Navy) for cart and push cart, and Vaporlite (White/Navy/Gold) and Ozone (Tan/Navy) for walking. White for summer and Tan for winter. Yes anal retentive. This being said, I have been dissapointed with some of the design/cosmetic features over the last couple years.

Ogio has reduced the color selection. Nearly every bag is black with color or pattern highlights and trim. Gone are selections like white, khaki, and plaids. Of 23 Mens Stand bags, there are only 4 that have a base color other than black. Three Prizmata and one charcoal gray. In 2010 it was 10 Stand bags with 7 base colors other than black. (Ogio marketed many 2009 bags through 2010).

In regards to the top, I can't get on with any individual club divider. Not crazy about the Nexos Wedge top either. The Woode top system is tough to beat with dividers for woods, sections for irons, and a putter pit. Ogio has experimented with different tops from time to time and I can see this divider top more popular for those who use Cart Bags.

Overall, you can't go wrong with an Ogio bag. I have found them much more durable than most other stand bags on the market.

Callaway Paradym 10.5 Ventus 5R - Soon PING G430Max 10K or TaylorMade Qi10 Max?
TaylorMade Stealth Tour 4 Wood Ventus - When available the Qi10 Tour 4 wood
TaylorMade Qi10 Rescue 4, 5  Ventus
TaylorMade P790 (2021) 6-9 DG95

TaylorMade P770 PW GD115
TaylorMade 50, 55, 60 DG200
TaylorMade / Balboa / Berwick
TaylorMade Burner TP LDP / TP5x
Ogio Grom / Edge / Nexos (All new old stock)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[quote name='LBlack14' timestamp='1294771849' post='2889174']
Anybody else have this bag? OGIO has offered to replace my 2010 GROM....again and I'm just not sure about this divider system. I love the Woode System, but in the 2010 GROM the clubs seem to get more bunched in the bottom and the irons sit right on top of each other.
[/quote]

I just picked up this bag as an intended replacement for an older Hoofer. Just to clarify, I wanted a bag that would primarily work with a Clicgear cart, but would also function as a stand bag on and around the range. The reviews of the Grom have been overwhelmingly positive and was convinced.

I have two initial observations:
1) The zipper on the large side pocket catches or hesitate. While this seems like a small thing I am afraid it might start to drive me crazy, especially when I'm trying to pull out a rain suit with a squall headed my way. I looked at other Groms in the shop and they all seem to do this towards the bottom of the pocket.

2) I agree with the OP that the putter just doesn't seem to fit anywhere. This is kind of crazy IMO, as it's a club one uses every hole. If it's forced to rest on the putter cover, I would guess that the putter cover would eventually pop off and get lost somewhere on the back nine...

In spite of the universal approval of the Grom, I'm seriously thinking of returning it and continuing my search. One consideration might be the new Sun Mountain bags which have the 14 way divider?

Hope my comments help..you may have a different experience and/or use for the bag - I can definitely see the quality workmanship and I may decide to abandon the stand feature and look to a hybrid Ogio bag like the Syncro.

[quote]2) I agree with the OP that the putter just doesn't seem to fit anywhere. This is kind of crazy IMO, as it's a club one uses every hole. If it's forced to rest on the putter cover, I would guess that the putter cover would eventually pop off and get lost somewhere on the back nine...

[/quote]

After using the bag a few rounds I think I figured out that the putter is intended to go in the second slot down from the top on the right hand side. In my original pictures I think I have my 8 iron in that slot. If you look closely at the dividers at that slot on the right side vs. the left side you'll see on the right side they're cut away a bit, down lower. Putting the putter in this slot let's the headcover drop down in between the center divider and outer divider and they sort of lock it in and hold it in place.

Nice looking bag. Does the 2011 Grom have a pencil holder? May seem like a silly question, but they apparently decided to do away with it on the 2011 Edge. Rather annoying really. I like the new materials, and it's definitely lighter, but it boggles my mind that they'd get rid of a place to put a pencil.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive had mine for about a month and initially it seemed pretty cramped. With the driver/wood/hybrids at the top of the bag, it made getting to the irons in the middle of the bag difficult. I bought a $2 club tube and fastened it to the side of the bag in the umbrella loops. Turned this into my putter tube. Now the driver is at the top position and doesnt get in the way of the other clubs. i just leave the slot right below it empty. Works out pretty good. Plenty of space now.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='generalpatton' timestamp='1297034083' post='2956550']
[quote]2) I agree with the OP that the putter just doesn't seem to fit anywhere. This is kind of crazy IMO, as it's a club one uses every hole. If it's forced to rest on the putter cover, I would guess that the putter cover would eventually pop off and get lost somewhere on the back nine...

[/quote]

After using the bag a few rounds I think I figured out that the putter is intended to go in the second slot down from the top on the right hand side. In my original pictures I think I have my 8 iron in that slot. If you look closely at the dividers at that slot on the right side vs. the left side you'll see on the right side they're cut away a bit, down lower. Putting the putter in this slot let's the headcover drop down in between the center divider and outer divider and they sort of lock it in and hold it in place.
[/quote]

I agree, i have been speaking to a supplier here in Australia and he sent me a pic of the top of the new Grom XX 2012 and where you have the 8 iron the divider actually sits lower he actually suggested the putter sits in there... Thanks for these pics and review op, your right there are bugger all photos and information on the net about these bags. I've been tossing up between this bag, a Titleist 14 way stand bag or keeping my oldish Nike 14 way cart bag. I regularly head out for 9 holes in the arvo and dragging the cart out of the locker for a quickie is getting annoying.

[center][size=3][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Taylormade M2 2016 9*[/font][/i][/size][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Taylormade M2 2016 15*[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][size=3][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Adams DHy Proto 21*[/font][/i][/size][/center]
[center][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Mizuno MMC FliHi 4i[/font][/i][/center]
[center][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Mizuno MMC 5-P[/font][/i][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Callaway MackDaddy 4 Milled 54|58[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][font=comic sans ms, cursive][size=3][i]Custom Scotty Cameron California Coronado Milled Face[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Snell MTB/MTB Black[/i][/size][/font][/center]

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I actually ordered an Ozone XX because of the Woode top, but they ended up sending me a Grom XX with the 14way divider by accident... After scouring the boards for advice, here's what I came up with for my setup. I think I may just keep it...GromXX2012side.jpg

I'm considering getting a GROM XX as well but I'm worried about the extra weight. Every bag that I've owned in the past have been ultralite <5lb bags but I'm getting sick and tired of the club grips sticking where 3 other clubs come out with the club you want. This has been more apparent since I've just re-gripped my irons. Has anyone made the switch from a ultralite to the GROM? Are all of the clubs in their own slot all the way down to the bottom where grips don't touch?

This is OT but bigguygonz, what is that groove cleaning brush you have hanging on your bag?