2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Was this the best ball striking week ever for Tiger?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no doubt

TM Qi-10 Core (9) Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6X
TM Stealth2 (15) Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X
TM Stealth2 3-19 Fujikura Ventus Blue 9X
TM P790 (4) GD Tour AD-DI 95-S

TM P770 (5-9) TT S400(TI)
TM MG3 46.09, TM Hi-Toe 3 (50.09, 54.10, 60.10) TT S400(TI)
TM MySpider Tour X X7

I think it was just because he was hitting so many accurate long irons into greens. I always thought that the big hitters should take this strategy into the US Open because making par is so critical and by being in the fairway you take big numbers out of the equation.

True. The only thing I'd see that stops them is the fact that you've got to be putting very well in order for that strategy to work. Look at Sergio, he putts well and it's a 65, he doesn't putt well and it's a 73.

I think this was the best I've seen Tiger putt since 2001. EVERYTHING inside of 10 feet seemed to be center cut.

That said, I can't ever remember anyone so in control of their long irons. This should quench any doubters of his swing change. I'd have to agree that it was the best ball striking I've ever seen.

I think it was just because he was hitting so many accurate long irons into greens. I always thought that the big hitters should take this strategy into the US Open because making par is so critical and by being in the fairway you take big numbers out of the equation.

''

Very good point!!!!

This style should be considered more often on many holes, but it's a harder one to play consistently over an 18 hole course here because of the way the the US open sets up its courses. Fairways don't run nearly as much as in Britain, and you can't realistically play consistent bump and run into US open greens because of the elevation changes in the course and the downright crazy undulations in greens (e.g. Pinehurst, Winged Foot). It specifically demands target golf, whereas a links course allows a little more variety.

Another factor suppressing the use of irons off the tee is the increasing length of holes. When par 4's more routinely top out at 450-500 yards, hitting a long iron off the tee and leaving a 2-3-4 into the aforementioned wild greens (which you MUST hit on the fly and stop the ball dead) is just asking for trouble.

Plus, not a lot of pros (even the big hitters) are as good long iron players as tiger. He can hit them higher and land them softer than almost anyone. Nor can they hit long iron from where they would leave themselves off the tee. A 2 iron for tiger leaves him a 3 or 4 iron. A 2 iron for Dimarco leaves him a 3 wood into the green. Even Phil probably drops 10-15 yards per club to Tiger (assuming equivalent loft -- Callaway's lofts are juiced compared to Tiger's Nike blades). Neither Phil nor his caddy thought he could shoot a 3-iron after a 4-wood in the fairway on 18 at Winged Foot.

Distance is its own reward, assuming a modicum accuracy, and no amount of course setup can change that, unless you put OB within 30 yards of every fairway, like at Hoylake (wink wink . . . John Daly).

Ironically, shortening the course in come cases is a better way to bring the rest of the field back to Tiger. I'd really love to see him play Harbour Town one year and see how he approaches it.

This style should be considered more often on many holes, but it's a harder one to play consistently over an 18 hole course here because of the way the the US open sets up its courses. Fairways don't run nearly as much as in Britain, and you can't realistically play consistent bump and run into US open greens because of the elevation changes in the course and the downright crazy undulations in greens (e.g. Pinehurst, Winged Foot). It specifically demands target golf, whereas a links course allows a little more variety.

Another factor suppressing the use of irons off the tee is the increasing length of holes. When par 4's more routinely top out at 450-500 yards, hitting a long iron off the tee and leaving a 2-3-4 into the aforementioned wild greens (which you MUST hit on the fly and stop the ball dead) is just asking for trouble.

Plus, not a lot of pros (even the big hitters) are as good long iron players as tiger. He can hit them higher and land them softer than almost anyone. Nor can they hit long iron from where they would leave themselves off the tee. A 2 iron for tiger leaves him a 3 or 4 iron. A 2 iron for Dimarco leaves him a 3 wood into the green. Even Phil probably drops 10-15 yards per club to Tiger (assuming equivalent loft -- Callaway's lofts are juiced compared to Tiger's Nike blades). Neither Phil nor his caddy thought he could shoot a 3-iron after a 4-wood in the fairway on 18 at Winged Foot.

Distance is its own reward, assuming a modicum accuracy, and no amount of course setup can change that, unless you put OB within 30 yards of every fairway, like at Hoylake (wink wink . . . John Daly).

Ironically, shortening the course in come cases is a better way to bring the rest of the field back to Tiger. I'd really love to see him play Harbour Town one year and see how he approaches it.

Great post, another thing I just thought about is the fact that on a "traditional" Tour course, if an iron is hit off the tee on even a short par 4 (425 or so) and it happens to run into the rough or the fairway is missed, chances are good you're pitching out if the lie is bad, or if it's good, it will be very difficult to predict or stop on a green.

Take a driver and hit it in the rough 100 yards out and you can still be pretty accurate with today's wedges even in very deep rough.

Tiger was other worldly this British. He was in top physical condition (not like the US Open where he looked a little bloated to my eyes, which was understandable coming off the long layoff and his father's passing) and he seemed to be mentally back. Eight iron for a 200 yard shot?! WOW. Tiger was loooong and surgical, and only one person was able to come close really and that was Chris Dimarco, who played excellent golf. Did Tiger even sweat at all?

im not sure, u'd have to ask him, but i can definitely tell you that it was the most amazing performance of a round of golf i have ever seen. i watched the full thing and was absolutely amazed, imagine if he made just half of the putts that he hit so close! wow, that's all there is to say. it was just SUCH a dominate performance i am awstruck.

The really amazing thing to me was that Tiger was hitting better shots into greens with mid and long irons than other guys with wedges and short irons. He was in complete command all week, and obviously deserved the championship. Chris Dimarco played great golf with a lot of heart, and he was the only man to push Tiger today, but he couldn't catch him. Great stuff.

Cleveland Classic 290 9*Miyazaki C.Kua S
Callaway S2H2 BBWB Deuce & X 4W
Adams Idea A7 PNT 19* 3H & 22* 4H
Adams A4 Forged 5-PW
Adams A4 Forged GW,SW,LW
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 34"

The really amazing thing to me was that Tiger was hitting better shots into greens with mid and long irons than other guys with wedges and short irons. He was in complete command all week, and obviously deserved the championship. Chris Demarco played great golf with a lot of heart, and he was the only man to push Tiger today, but he couldn't catch him. Great stuff.

I couldn't agree more...It was pathetic to watch Ernie bomb 350 yards drives straight down the middle only to watch him miss the green with wedge.

The really amazing thing to me was that Tiger was hitting better shots into greens with mid and long irons than other guys with wedges and short irons. He was in complete command all week, and obviously deserved the championship. Chris Demarco played great golf with a lot of heart, and he was the only man to push Tiger today, but he couldn't catch him. Great stuff.

Great summary, would quote again!! A++

I think this was his best ball striking weak ever. Tiger and some of the young long hitters have taken a lot of flack the past couple of years, especially from the purists, that it's easy to hit driver/wedge and win a tournament. Well, Tiger proved that he has a lot more game then just hitting it long and sticking a wedge shot next to the pin. Since the purists of the game feel that there needs to be more long irons and shot shaping to reach the green, Tiger exemplified that.

I think this increases Tiger's intimidation factor enormously, all the way back to where it was in 2000. The difference is this: In 2000, all the other guys were at least 30 yards shorter and no one had a short game as good as Tiger's (and don't tell me Phil did--lots of spectacular shots, yes, but also a lot of mistakes, especially on short putts). Over the past few years, he lost the initimidation he got from distance.

Now all the other guys know Tiger can beat them however he wants, and that his head is way better than theirs. The birdie he made on 14 was all the evidence you could ever need: 456-yard hole, only a couple birdies at 14 all day; Tiger's lead is threatened. So he rips a 2-iron then a 3-iron (I think) and knocks in the 12-footer. Game over.

Another point I find interesting: Tiger has spent his life pursuing Nicklaus, and Nicklaus was always known as the greatest long iron player ever. Nobody else in the world could have played Hoylake the way Tiger did because he is the greatest long iron (and short iron, and short game, and putting) player in the world. One more notch on his way to overtaking the Nicklaus legacy.

Just incredible. What an awesome display of ballstriking and course management. I watched every bit of his round (thank goodness for TIVO!) and was just amazed at his mental focus and control of his game. Interesting point by Geoff Ogilvy when he said this type of course is ideal for Tiger's game b/c if takes driver out of his hands and he may be the best 2-iron and long iron player ever in history. Couple that with the best short game in the business and the results speak for itself. Tiger is truly in a class by himself...showing he's got the game and ability to win majors by bombing courses or dissecting them apart.

I completely agree with everyone here.

I only want to add one characteristic that might have been key for Tiger´s success:

Outstanding mental strenght, focus and determination.

You could see it in his face, he was hungry like a wolf...

He did not allow some of his misses early in his rounds to change his game plan, to loose his focus. He also didn´t loose concentration with his great shots (his celebrations were very controlled) and the public´s noise was not able to upset him...

I haven´t seen anyone behave that way, specially after his father loss and his poor performance in the US Open. He even impressed me during his practice rounds completely committed to his routines and totally absent from the conversation and laughs between Hank and Steve.

You can be a very good golfer or another sportsman but what probably differentiates the good ones from the best ones is their mentality.

Ping G430 MAX 10.5º. GD Tour AD IZ 6S

PXG 0311 XF GEN6 #4 & #7. UST Proforce V2 6F4

Maltby KE4 Tour RS 22º. FST Pro 115S

Maltby TE+ Forged 25º ~ 45º. FST Pro 115S

Maltby TSW Forged 50º, 55º & 60º. FST Pro 115S

EVNROLL ER5 CS Hatchback