2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Dan Carraher aka iteachgolf Atlanta Golf School

This weekend I attended Dan’s golf school hosted by Frank Gasaway in Atlanta and wanted to share my thoughts and experience with my fellow members on GolfWRX.

I have known Dan for years on GolfWRX (who hasn’t) and have always enjoyed his posts and his knowledge of the golf swing. So when he contacted me to let me know that he was hosting a golf school, I wanted to attend but wasn’t sold on the idea. Not a knock on Dan at all. I just wasn’t sure what I would get out of it. My biggest concern was that the school would be a cookie cutter pattern that we would all learn on the range. Something that I didn’t want or need. I know what my faults are and I was working to correct them, but was still struggling to make the changes. I talked to Dan on the phone and he assured me that we would only work on my swing and what I needed to do to correct my faults. So I decided to attend his golf school.

I will say up front I am glad that I did. I learned more than I thought I would. Not just about my golf swing, but golf in general.

The morning began with us going to the chipping green and learning about the short game. Dan explained in detail how Tour pro’s hit their short game shots and the various methods used on tour and demonstrated all the methods as he explained it. We then got to work on what was taught and both Dan and Frank helped the students as they chipped. My short game is not my weak link in golf so for me I was a little bored chipping for an hour, but I think other people got a lot out of it and I did learn some new ways to execute the short game.

After we practiced our short game we went back to the range and Dan lectured us on the ball flight laws their cause and effect and then how to change or setup and ball position to influence them. He explained in detail how to hit pull draws/cuts and push draws/cuts by shifting our baseline, something I had not heard before although I had a vague understanding of what he was talking about. In my own swing I had been trying to shift my baseline to the left to counter a swing fault of mine where my hands are to low and too deep in my backswing. From there it’s flip city to square the clubface at impact. Dan was able to explain a lot of complicated things in a simple easy to learn manner which made it fun. Dan can also hit every shot he talks about so you get to see real life application and just not a lecture. This part alone was worth the admission IMOP.

After the lecture of the why and how in the golf swing we filmed our swings, and then went to lunch. After lunch Dan reviewed our swings with each individual and explained our problems and how we were going to correct it. NOT ONE OF US GOT THE SAME INSTRUCTION WE ALL HAD DIFFERENT FAULTS AND DIFFERENT INSTRUCTION. So I can say that Dan was honest and we didn’t get cookie cutter golf instruction. For me it was shifting my baseline to the left hitting a pull to counter my shallow in to out push. My baseline is way right in my golf swing.

I like the way Dan approaches teaching the golf swing. His approach is to teach the why i.e. ball flight laws, if you understand the why and how you will be able to play your way around the course it might not be pretty at times, but it should help keep the high numbers off the score card. He then shows you what you are doing, so you have an understanding of your faults and there cause. Then a plan to fix your faults by designing a drill or pattern that is the opposite of what you are doing. By doing the opposite you will eventually find the middle ground and hit the ball straighter and further.

In summary I found Dan’s golf school to be educational and helpful and worth the admission. I would recommend to others if you get the chance to take a lesson from Dan or attend one of his schools do it. I don’t think it will be long before Dan impacts the pros in a major way and when that happens he won’t be cheap.

I also need to give a shout out to my man Frank Gasaway that helped all of us with our swings and provided comic relief. Even though he did call my swing Brian Gay minus the Brian. Frank is a great instructor and great guy. I highly recommend Frank as an instructor if you live in the Atlanta area. Go see him and get better.

Here is a pic of my swing before on the left and then the after as best as I could do on the right.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I was operating on very little sleep and still tired from the rest of my week, I had an amazing time. It was awesome getting to meet everyone and getting to talk with Frank again. DC and Frank are two of the best guys in the business and it was definitely a treat to get to spend a day with the both of them.

However, one of the best parts of my day was Mr. "I can't break 100" asking how to work the ball after 5 minutes of working with DC and Frank.

EDIT* and you were right Dan.. that is a sick avatar.

[quote name='cbrian' timestamp='1298309962' post='2997729']
However, one of the best parts of my day was Mr. "I can't break 100" asking how to work the ball after 5 minutes of working with DC and Frank.
[/quote]

Good afternoon everyone,
I also had the privileged of attending the golf school that Dan "The Man" Carraher aka iteachgolf host. I too had the same thought like Varsity but I said to myself, let's give this guy a try. To make a long story short, if you don't want to get better, don't see Dan. However, if you do want to get better, RUN to see him!

Everything that Varsity Hacker said is true. I think I can see the difference on my before and after result. Heck, Ray Charles can see it too! It's like night and day! I don't know how else I can explain it! I have plenty of witnesses.

One thing that I notice about Dan, you and I might not think much about his swing on youtube or camera (I don't know what to look for) but when you see it in person, and the result that he produces, OMG, you really appreciate how solid he's hitting the ball. This guy can play!

Dan is very knowledgeable in golf swing. He is efficient! That's how I put it.

To Dan, I can't thank you enough. Don't change the way you teach. It produces great result and that's the main goal. I will work on what I've learned this weekend and looking forward to see you again in the future! You're the MAN!!! :good:
To Frank Gasaway, thank you for your assistance. I still have the magic glove! It's in my vault! :drinks: If you're in Atlanta area, please don't hesitate to see him.
To CBrian, you have a nice swing my man. Regarding your comment, it's funny but it's true! LOL! :drinks:

Varsity Hacker, nice to meet you bud!

To everyone else that I can't remember the name or know the handle, it was very nice to meet you all. I had a BLAST!

Sincerely,
Steve

[quote name='jrich99' timestamp='1298316792' post='2998027']
Ok good haha. I looked at this a while ago before anyone responded and couldn't believe you had gone and gotten a good looking action screwed up badly! :tongue:
[/quote]

Yeah glad Dan pointed that out not much of an endorsement for Dan if the pics are switched. :drinks:

[quote name='the_saint_siwa' timestamp='1298313745' post='2997891']
[quote name='cbrian' timestamp='1298309962' post='2997729']
[/quote]

Good afternoon everyone,
I also had the privileged of attending the golf school that Dan "The Man" Carraher aka iteachgolf host. I too had the same thought like Varsity but I said to myself, let's give this guy a try. To make a long story short, if you don't want to get better, don't see Dan. However, if you do want to get better, RUN to see him!

Everything that Varsity Hacker said is true. I think I can see the difference on my before and after result. Heck, Ray Charles can see it too! It's like night and day! I don't know how else I can explain it! I have plenty of witnesses.

One thing that I notice about Dan, you and I might not think much about his swing on youtube or camera (I don't know what to look for) but when you see it in person, and the result that he produces, OMG, you really appreciate how solid he's hitting the ball. This guy can play!

Dan is very knowledgeable in golf swing. He is efficient! That's how I put it.

To Dan, I can't thank you enough. Don't change the way you teach. It produces great result and that's the main goal. I will work on what I've learned this weekend and looking forward to see you again in the future! You're the MAN!!! :good:
To Frank Gasaway, thank you for your assistance. I still have the magic glove! It's in my vault! :drinks: If you're in Atlanta area, please don't hesitate to see him.
To CBrian, you have a nice swing my man. Regarding your comment, it's funny but it's true! LOL! :drinks:

Varsity Hacker, nice to meet you bud!

To everyone else that I can't remember the name or know the handle, it was very nice to meet you all. I had a BLAST!

Sincerely,
Steve
[/quote]

Steve,

Congrats on the improvement. It was great to see and put a smile on everyone's face.

Dan and Frank, thanks for the help. You guys were great.

Terry

OK, so I'm going to show my a**, but you all know I'm a dufus anyway. :cheesy:

At P5, from what I am studying, I would have thought the legs were better on the left. I am learning from the guys about the knees regaining their flex before you jump. Pouncing cat stuff. At P5 on the right, I would have thought the legs are a little straighter than you would prescribe?

Just trying to learn, and I respect your opinion, but I'm a little confused, as usual! :lol:

Thanks guys,
Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='kevcarter ' timestamp='1298381853' post='2999859']
OK, so I'm going to show my a**, but you all know I'm a dufus anyway. :cheesy:

At P5, from what I am studying, I would have thought the legs were better on the left. I am learning from the guys about the knees regaining their flex before you jump. Pouncing cat stuff. At P5 on the right, I would have thought the legs are a little straighter than you would prescribe?

Just trying to learn, and I respect your opinion, but I'm a little confused, as usual! :lol:

Thanks guys,
Kevin
[/quote]

Kevin I will let Dan or Frank answer that question. Not really trying to fit the SnT pattern at all.

Legs will eventually be cleaned up but primary focus was changing baseline from way right to more neutral. Gettting the left arm more out and shoulders more open was primary concern. Once he has that nailed then we can add more refinement.

Here are some pics of Steven (pics were removed at Steven's request)

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1298385930' post='2999975']
Legs will eventually be cleaned up but primary focus was changing baseline from way right to more neutral. Gettting the left arm more out and shoulders more open was primary concern. Once he has that nailed then we can add more refinement.

Here are some pics of Steven
[/quote]

That's the same guy that was going to quit if the school didn't work and he hit better than any 5 handicapper that I know a after 5 min ..... Face or Path Dan ??? Ha ha [size="1"]ha[/size]

[quote name='frank gasaway' timestamp='1298387165' post='3000022']
That's the same guy that was going to quit if the school didn't work and he hit better than any 5 handicapper that I know a after 5 min ..... Face or Path Dan ??? Ha ha [size="1"]ha[/size]
[/quote]

I was about to quit . . . until I got the Magic Glove. . . Frank, mucho-mucho thanks!

Can't wait for this weekend . . . :bb::D:aikido::victory:

The ability to identify the biggest issue in a golf swing and then a plan to fix the problem is Dan's biggest strength. Many people on the net (myself included) can see problems in a golf swing but how to mechanically fix the problem is very very difficult.

Dan's knowledge of TGM, SnT, and all other golf fundamentals gives him a base of knowledge most long time instructors just do not have, let alone a young guy like Dan.

• 1 month later...

Update pics from my recent lesson with Dan and some that I did of me on the range. Starting to get the club more in front on the BS and then more left on the follow through. Swing is getting much better thanks to Dan.

[attachment=754167:ydtl.png]
[attachment=754169:screenshot (28).jpg]
[attachment=754168:screenshot (23).jpg]
[attachment=754170:screenshot (29).jpg]
[attachment=754171:screenshot (26).jpg]
[attachment=754172:screenshot (27).jpg]

What the hell...how do you stop a guy from shifting the baseline so far out to the right...so quickly??

Magical! Where do I sign up?

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon