2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Whats your Favorite Chicago-Land Golf Courses?

Kenkaulen

Thanks Slice...appreciate the comments. We probably play 50 different courses in the immediate area each year but are also on the search for tracks we haven't played. As mentioned earlier, your post inspired a Google of TP and it looks like a very nice course and reasonably priced to walk on weekends. We go to Oak Grove, Aldeen, George Dunne, Deere Run, etc so this is well within our radius. Thanks again!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of the courses I have played....

Best Course (Layout and Condition)
- Prairie Landing

Excellent Courses (and in good to excellent condition)
- George Dunne
- Village Links at Glen Ellyn

Very Good Layouts (and in good to excellent condition)
- Heritage Bluffs
- Sanctuary
- Harborside (both)

Overrated Courses (but in good to excellent condition)
- Cantigny
- Ruffled Feathers
- Seven Bridges
- Makray
- Cog Hill (all)

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

I am still blown away by how many people are not huge fans of Cog Hill, but I get the price point is high so that definitely takes away from the experience.

Prairie Landing is nice, and it is normally very reasonably priced or they run a few deals a year where you can get in there for a steal. I also like the three practice holes (I think those are still there) and there is always the chance of getting hit by an airplane, and I like that you can drive the first hole.

George Dunn is a great south side course, and I seem to always find great deals there as well. Oak Grove was my dark horse, I thought that was my course everyone was going to say what the hell is that? and it seems that my diamond in the rough, was found by everyone.

Maybe we should start a discussion about the best Private Clubs?

[quote name='Chicago Lefty' timestamp='1300593794' post='3070675']
So when are we doing a Chicagoland outing?
[/quote]

DavePelz4 organized an outing at Mistwood back in June '09. Whilst we got a lot of responses, in the end there was only 4 of us who turned up, and the other 2 I haven't seen on this site for quite some time. Great idea of course if we can get a few more to make a firm commitment.

Original round report & thread:
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/257698-chicagoland-golfwrx-event/page__view__findpost__p__1787801"]http://www.golfwrx.c...ost__p__1787801[/url]

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

[quote name='B-Man' timestamp='1301593327' post='3106121']
[/quote]

DavePelz4 organized an outing at Mistwood back in June '09. Whilst we got a lot of responses, in the end there was only 4 of us who turned up, and the other 2 I haven't seen on this site for quite some time. Great idea of course if we can get a few more to make a firm commitment.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/257698-chicagoland-golfwrx-event/page__view__findpost__p__1787801"]http://www.golfwrx.c...ost__p__1787801[/url]
[/quote]

I would show up as long as it's a course I like - not that I expect everyone to schedule around my tastes! I like Mistwood - good course, good value, not too far.

[quote name='hitsalittle' timestamp='1301885763' post='3116053']
[quote name='thaus7' timestamp='1301884184' post='3115965']
1) Cog Hill
2) Mistwood
3) Naperville CC
4) Bolingbrook
5) Whitetail Ridge
[/quote]

I love this thread - had never heard of Whitetail Ridge - looks ok - short, but nice looking layout as far as their website goes.
[/quote]

Hits...you'd love WTR. We play there 4-5 times a year. Some very tight holes and it's almost always impacted by the wind. Very nice staff and clubhouse...easy course to walk if you're so inclined as well.

[quote name='hitsalittle' timestamp='1301619981' post='3107579']
[quote name='B-Man' timestamp='1301593327' post='3106121']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I would show up as long as it's a course I like - not that I expect everyone to schedule around my tastes! I like Mistwood - good course, good value, not too far.
[/quote]

Count me in. I'm always looking to play new courses and with new people who appreciate the game

I would love to do a WRX outing. I also like Mistwood, fun course and good prices. Where would be some good places? Like western burbs, nothwest burbs, south burbs, etc...

Whitetail Ridge is one of my favorites as well. Always have great deals there, and the course is fun to play. I wouldn't say super short, there are some short holes, and some tough ones. One of the toughest par threes in Chicago, #14. Ive hit everything from a 5 iron (severely down wind) and a Driver (big in the face wind). The Driver I made a deuce, and the five iron I think I pulled into the water/crap left. WTR is fun and you should definetly get out there and play it.

My favorite, more budget friendly courses I play regularly:
- Ruffled Feathers
- Chalet Hills
- Foxford Hills
- Bittersweet
- Thunderhawk (go at the right times)

Will not go back
- George Dunne - Way too many similar holes - draws over water. Am I playing the same hole over and over? Also, bunkers were in the worst conditions I have ever seen.
- Cog Hill Dubsdread - Overpriced. Doesn't play any better than the other high tier public courses around IMO. Way to throw too many bunkers around Reese that totally detracts the beauty of the course.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10* Ventus Blue TR

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15* Tensei Blue

Callaway Rogue ST LS 18* Tensei Blue

Ping G425 22* Tensei CK Pro Orange

Titleist T100 5-PW ProjectX LZ

Titleist SM6 50S

Callaway JAWS MD5 56W

Callaway JAWS MD5 60X

I'm in the western burbs so...

Cantigny is worth the price if you can play the woodside/lakeside combo (they have 3 nines).
Prairie Landing
Orchard Valley is really good.The only thing limiting it is, visually - the houses on the course but always in really good shape.

What no love for Settlers Hill?
Play it on a nice hot summer day and I swear to God that from your knees down it is 10 degrees hotter that the air temp.
Those who have played it will agree with me.

timber point for davepels4,,,

while the layout is great in spots.. the drive thourgh the neighborhood portion of the course is a little open and strange but some neat holes on the course , greens usually smooth and fast.. prices arent bad... i perfer aldeen but timber point gives more elevation changes and different terrian..

[quote name='2ball' timestamp='1302212396' post='3130686']

Cantigny is worth the price if you can play the woodside/lakeside combo (they have 3 nines).
Prairie Landing
Orchard Valley is really good.The only thing limiting it is, visually - the houses on the course but always in really good shape.

Play it on a nice hot summer day and I swear to God that from your knees down it is 10 degrees hotter that the air temp.
[/quote]

Settler's Hill is a decent track except that it takes an hour to get through holes 11 and 12 watching people take 12's on the hole. Orchard Valley is also a good course. Tough par 3's (2 and 17).

[quote name='Mizgoodie' timestamp='1302217759' post='3130897']
timber point for davepels4,,,

while the layout is great in spots.. the drive thourgh the neighborhood portion of the course is a little open and strange but some neat holes on the course , greens usually smooth and fast.. prices arent bad... i perfer aldeen but timber point gives more elevation changes and different terrian..
[/quote]

Miz...thanks for the scoops...do they let you walk the course? Also a big fan of Aldeen...very nice people there.

[quote name='JP101' timestamp='1302218541' post='3130933']
[quote name='2ball' timestamp='1302212396' post='3130686']

Prairie Landing

[/quote]

Settler's Hill is a decent track except that it takes an hour to get through holes 11 and 12 watching people take 12's on the hole. Orchard Valley is also a good course. Tough par 3's (2 and 17).
[/quote]

Wow...lots of love for Settler's. Would agree that 11 is one of the toughest drive and second shot holes...I'm missing something though on 12. Like the 17 hole there a lot. Really interesting par 3.

Harborside ( My personal Favorite so far )

Mistwood

Ruffled Feathers

Bolingbrook

Big Run

For the price - Whitetail... good layout, kid of a feel good course ... they had a 25 dollar with cart special on Mondays that I took advantage of a few times.

( I'm assistant at Inwood in Joliet, and pretty much every course in the area blows us away haha )

[quote name='Kenkaulen' timestamp='1301493662' post='3102039']
I am still blown away by how many people are not huge fans of Cog Hill, but I get the price point is high so that definitely takes away from the experience. [/quote]

Turning the tables, what do you LIKE about CogHill/Dubsdread?

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1302305303' post='3134062']
I am still blown away by how many people are not huge fans of Cog Hill, but I get the price point is high so that definitely takes away from the experience. [/quote]

[/quote]

I've played Dubs only twice (pre and post renovations) and frankly didn't care for it either. It didn't help that I played like crap both times (had nothing to do with the course's difficulty). For whatever reason I actually play better on long and tough courses (almost had a round of my life playing #3 at Medinah from 7000+ yards).

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Hey Guys,

If you didn't see today's groupon - http://www.groupon.com/deals/chicago-golf-pass-1?c=dnb&p=1

A few of the courses listed here are part of the pass:
Seven Bridges
Eagle Ridge
Ruffled Feathers
Stonewall Orchard
Prairie Landing
Whitetail Ridge
+ many more

Looks like a great deal for $22, if you play these courses often.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10* Ventus Blue TR

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15* Tensei Blue

Callaway Rogue ST LS 18* Tensei Blue

Ping G425 22* Tensei CK Pro Orange

Titleist T100 5-PW ProjectX LZ

Titleist SM6 50S

Callaway JAWS MD5 56W

Callaway JAWS MD5 60X

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1302305303' post='3134062']

[/quote]

What's not to like? You got four courses with Dubs being the nicest public course in the Chicago land area. You will not find a public course ( and many prvts) in better shape. The greens are like glass and have tremendous undulation. You can play several different tee boxes (I am a fan of the member tees - a combo of the blue and white tees) and it has a great practice facility. The driving range itself is ok but the short game are and the putting green are great.

But take away the great conditions, beautiful greens, and huge practice facility; and you have the only golf course regular guys can play that has hosted a PGA tour event regularly for the last 20 something years. I love when you get to see where Dustin Johnson hits from and you can really know how far his drive went. Or when the announcers are talking about how fast a putt is you can actually know how it breaks and can think of a time you had that very same putt for a skin with your buddies.

I have always loved Cog there are four courses, the Jemsek family has done a lot for the golfing community in Chicago, and there is a sweet men's grille to have a drink after your round.