2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Whats your Favorite Chicago-Land Golf Courses?

Kenkaulen

[quote name='Inthedrink' timestamp='1300458701' post='3066558']
1. Dubs
2.Oak Grove
3. Foxford Hills
4. Mill Creek
5. Hilldale

I toss Hilldale in because its a very fun challenging shorter course. Lots of Narrow fairways and prices are always a bargain! Oak Grove is really my number one, i love that course. In response to that hole number 13, yes that is one of the most fun and challenging holes, you need to make a golf shot every swing if you want to make par. In case you were wondering, #13 at Oak Grove is call "The Anaconda" LOL
[/quote]

Drink...11 is the Anaconda...the wacky par 5. 13 is the par 4 with the little bridge on the left and the shallow green. I finally parred 11 last summer...the very first time. 4 wood, 4 wood, wedge and 2 putts. We've played that course a TON and 2 of the guys we play with are low single digit caps and none of us have ever birdied that hole. They should just turn that into a par 4 and they'd have an amazing track.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OOOOh yeah thats right. Yeah the tee shot on 13 is a tough one and the approach in is tricky. I remember one time i hit a perfect tee shot and had a perfect distance to the hole. I flushed the shot and say to my playing parter "thats gonna be 2 ft from the hole" and when i got up there i found it had landed in the marsh that guards the green! that approach really hides the wind well. Oak Grove is definitley one of the best courses in the Chicagoland area. I agree if they made a few tweaks to the course it woudl be incredible.

[quote name='stasek' timestamp='1300518384' post='3068617']
Played Foxford Hills for the first time ($17 St. Patty special - $20 for gas to get there :) ). I can see how this could be considered one of the nicer public courses in the area.
[/quote]

Huge fan of Foxford. The only negative is the power lines on the perimeter of some holes. That pulls away from the esthetics of a great track. The weekdays are great times to play it as they don't do a lot to push people on weekends and you can end up with 6 hour rounds.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1300536347' post='3068743']
[quote name='stasek' timestamp='1300518384' post='3068617']
Played Foxford Hills for the first time ($17 St. Patty special - $20 for gas to get there :) ). I can see how this could be considered one of the nicer public courses in the area.
[/quote]

Huge fan of Foxford. The only negative is the power lines on the perimeter of some holes. That pulls away from the esthetics of a great track. The weekdays are great times to play it as they don't do a lot to push people on weekends and you can end up with 6 hour rounds.
[/quote]

Ouch :( That's why I avoid weekends altogether, regardless of course.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Just finished up. A tale of two 9's....47 on the front and 37 on the back. The wind was blowing pretty strong. Seemed to always be a cross wind as well. Made it tough...mixed with the cold weather I was clubbing up 2-3 clubs most holes.

The greens were in fantastic shape for this time of the year. Other than being a little beat up they were rolling very nice. Course was in good shape overall.

The course was great. Challenging and gives a ton of different looks. A few of the pin placements on the front 9 were really difficult. I'll definitely be returning. Enjoyed it more than Harbourside...especially for $40 to ride.

1. Dubs
2.Oak Grove
3. Foxford Hills
4. Mill Creek
5. Hilldale

I toss Hilldale in because its a very fun challenging shorter course. Lots of Narrow fairways and prices are always a bargain! Oak Grove is really my number one, i love that course. In response to that hole number 13, yes that is one of the most fun and challenging holes, you need to make a golf shot every swing if you want to make par. In case you were wondering, #13 at Oak Grove is call "The Anaconda" LOL
[/quote]

In my numerous rounds at OG, I have never heard any of their holes have any names. Also, I do not think that it belongs on any list. Please everyone in the Chicagoland please play courses closer to home or in the southern and western burbs. There is also a number of great tracks like Stonewall Orchard too that you can get on and play. You can also play Whisper Creek and it is right off 90 ( easy on and off). Just my opinion.

Driver: Tour Issue Epic Flash TD 10.5o w/ Fuji Ventus Black 6x 

5wd: Taylormade Sim2 SHAFT???    

Hybrid: 19Titleist 915 w/ Diamana 90 Stiff

Irons: 4Iron thru GW Titleist T100  Shaft????     

Wedges: Edel Wedges 54 & 58 Nippon Modus 125 

Putter: PXG Bat Attack Gen1

[size="2"]From the website...[/size]
[i]
[/i]
[i]"[/i][color=#372B26][i]Known as "The Anaconda," no. 11 will inspire many adjectives, but "easy" will never be one of them even though this par 5 plays only 451 yards. The double-dogleg snakes its way through wetlands and across the creek to a deep, heavily bunkered, cloverleaf-shaped putting green with several "rooms."[/i][/color]
[color=#372B26][i]
[/i][/color]
[color=#372B26][size="2"][size="2"]For kicks and grins, why shouldn't we take advantage of the great courses in our area? I'm in Naperville and drive all over the state and region to play great [/size]tracks.[/size][/color]

[quote name='gibbyfan' timestamp='1300586944' post='3070395']
1. Dubs
2.Oak Grove
3. Foxford Hills
4. Mill Creek
5. Hilldale

[/quote]

In my numerous rounds at OG, I have never heard any of their holes have any names. Also, I do not think that it belongs on any list. Please everyone in the Chicagoland please play courses closer to home or in the southern and western burbs. There is also a number of great tracks like Stonewall Orchard too that you can get on and play. You can also play Whisper Creek and it is right off 90 ( easy on and off). Just my opinion.
[/quote]

Odd post - what does it matter to you where folks play? Also, Dubs and Mill Creek are both in either the west burbs or southwest burbs. This is a candidate for odd post of the year...you want folks to play Whisper Creek and Stonewall Orchard, but you don't want them to go outside the southern or western burbs? But those courses are damn near in Wisconsin...huh?

Whisper Creek - no thanks, never again.

Stonewall Orchard - if I never play another Art Hills course again, it will be too soon.

[quote name='hitsalittle' timestamp='1300588017' post='3070440']
Today I took down my fence in the backyard - no golf today - currently icing my elbow from tendinitis flare-up and hoping I don't have to go back to PT...exciting life I lead, DP
[/quote]

Doesn't sound like a lot of fun. What did you do to the elbow? If memory serves, you're a young buck...

It is really not an odd post. Not at all. There are a number of great public courses in the Chicagoland area. Check out the ratings of the courses in Golfweek. A number are around the Chicagoland. If you want to venture all the way out to Plum Tree or Aldeen( Rockford) then that is fine. I think both of the those courses are better than OG. Plum Tree's greens are usually in better condition and a better test of golf. Furthermore, I would play Foxford or Chalet too. OR you could drive about 20 min more and play Geneva National or some of the courses in Lake Geneva. At Geneva National you can often get 36 holes for $100 ( off peak season).

Driver: Tour Issue Epic Flash TD 10.5o w/ Fuji Ventus Black 6x 

5wd: Taylormade Sim2 SHAFT???    

Hybrid: 19Titleist 915 w/ Diamana 90 Stiff

Irons: 4Iron thru GW Titleist T100  Shaft????     

Wedges: Edel Wedges 54 & 58 Nippon Modus 125 

Putter: PXG Bat Attack Gen1

Here's my list - most already mentioned and one that seems to be left out...

Cantigny - can't get a much better experience outside a private course...oh and it's pronounced "can-teeny", forget the "g"
Thunderhawk
Pine Meadow
Stonewall Orchard
Harborside

Kemper - for private

All Ping...tastefully done!
Ping G430 Max

Ping G430 Max 3w

Ping G425 3 Hybrid

Ping icrossover 3i
Ping G425 5-SW
Ping Glide 4.0 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne H
Ping Hoofer Tour or Craz-e-Lite Stand Bag
Chrome Soft Truvis Stars & Stripes

[quote name='gibbyfan' timestamp='1300594454' post='3070706']
It is really not an odd post. Not at all. There are a number of great public courses in the Chicagoland area. Check out the ratings of the courses in Golfweek. A number are around the Chicagoland. If you want to venture all the way out to Plum Tree or Aldeen( Rockford) then that is fine. I think both of the those courses are better than OG. Plum Tree's greens are usually in better condition and a better test of golf. Furthermore, I would play Foxford or Chalet too. OR you could drive about 20 min more and play Geneva National or some of the courses in Lake Geneva. At Geneva National you can often get 36 holes for $100 ( off peak season).
[/quote]

My point, gibbyfan, is that you're a little all over the place - allow me to recount the points you've made in your posts:

1. People in the Chicago area should only play close to home.
2. People in the Chicago area should play only in the western or south suburbs.
3. People should play Whisper Creek in the far northwest suburbs.
4. People should play Stonewall Orchard in the far northwest suburbs.
5. You don't like Oak Grove.
6. You also recommend Foxford or Chalet Hills, again very far from where you ask everyone to play (western or south suburbs).
7. As another recommendation that doesn't fit your request to either stay close to home or, failing that, in the western or south suburbs, you suggest going to Wisconsin to play courses in the Lake Geneva area.

I guess I'm just saying I don't understand what you are saying, since you are contradicting yourself left and right. It's not that I disagree with you, necessarily, although our taste in courses is certainly different, but rather I'm not sure what you are saying?

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1300588608' post='3070465']
[quote name='hitsalittle' timestamp='1300588017' post='3070440']
Today I took down my fence in the backyard - no golf today - currently icing my elbow from tendinitis flare-up and hoping I don't have to go back to PT...exciting life I lead, DP
[/quote]

Doesn't sound like a lot of fun. What did you do to the elbow? If memory serves, you're a young buck...
[/quote]

depends on your definition of young - I'm old enough to have lost yardage, and old enough to have played a good portion of my competitive golf with Titleist Tour Balatas...

My elbow is an ongoing saga - as my PT says, I'm just not strong enough, and I keep having recurring bouts of crippling tendinitis. three years ago it was my right - now it's my left. Injuries are not fun, especially when they are just "use" injuries - I mean, if I fell or snapped my achilles playing basketball, that's one thing, but to get hurt just using my body, that's disgusting.

1). Plum Tree
2). Blackstone
3). Thunderhawk
4). Pine Meadow
5). Hilldale

Oak Grove isn't on my list largely because of the two holes mentioned. #13 is a good challenge but challenges my ball supply. But both the tee shot and the approach are very tough and as was mentioned, the wind on the approach can put you in the bank of the creek or the in water which isn't even that close to the green. A par there is like a birdie. But an 8 is just like an 8, I find.
But #11 is the one that grates me. Not a fan of blind shots and cutting the corner is ubertough. Shots I expected dead center I couldn't even find. Gremlins, I suspect.

Loved Foxford Hills until recently. The condition of the course really suffered the last time I played it. The practice area hadn't been kept up particularly well and one of the fairways was completely eaten by disease and reduced to mud last time I played. I have a free round out there for this year so I hope it's improved. It's a fun layout so I hope I just caught it at a bad time.

As a layout, Chalet Hills is up there also. Had a couple bad experiences with personnel there on different occasions (the worst being a ranger who threw everyone off the course with 45 minutes to an hour of light left because HE wanted to go. Unforgivable. His attitude convinced me to skip Chalet for a few years). Plenty of courses that cater to golfers, not the other way around. Timber Pointe in Poplar Grove is one of those courses. Great guys out there and a fun layout make the drive worth it.

Favorites:

- Thunderhawk
- Foxford Hills
- Chalet Hills
- Pine Meadow
- Hilldale
- Cantigny
- Stonehenge
- Balmoral Woods
- George Dunne (assuming it's back in good shape)
- Schaumburg
- Mistwood
- Prairie Landing
- Joliet Country Club (private)
- Midlothian Country Club (private)
- Ruth Lake (private)

There has already been some discussion on the topic, but what are some of your least favorite Chicago tracks (with reasons)?? Could be a fairly entertaining discussion.

Least Favorite...(assuming it is on my own dime)
1) Dubs - at that price, I expect more
2) The Glen Club - same thing - although if someone else is paying - I like both courses
3) Glencoe - It's a 5 hour round - at least, and sometimes much more - on a Saturday. And everyone in front of me, for some reason, always feels like they are all alone on the course and should be taking their own merry time.
4) Crane's Landing (Marriot Lincolnshire) - I have a love/hate relationship with this one...There are some cool holes on this course (2, 9, 14 and 18) and the greens are very good - but it may be the most narrow place I play regularly. And if there is even the slightest bit of water, the Des Plaines river floods and makes several holes unplayable for days or even weeks.
5) Brae Loch - complete cow pasture... If I never play there again, I'd be happy. Clearly the black sheep of the Lake County Forrest Preserves course. (Thunderhawk is a great course. Countryside has 2 reasonably priced course that are OK. I'm waiting to hear what gets done to Fort Sheridan - that could be something that would make my golf life interesting.)

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

Least favorites for me:

- Palatine Hills: used to play in a work league here, 2.5/3 hour 9-hole rounds on Wed afternoons were the norm, floods at least once a year, greens aren't very good, 18 is just a horribly designed golf hole. Staff is incompetent. What else bad can I say :D.
- Highland Woods: I actually like the layout but not the fact that 6 hour rounds seem to be the standard here.
- Oak Grove: #11 just killed it for me but I've only been out there once. I may need to make another trip this year to get a 2nd look
- Cog Hill #4: always thought it was over-hyped. Played it last year after the design changes and now it is just way, way too difficult for any non-pro golfer (I play off a 2)
- Stonewall Orchard: not my cup of tea. Yes, it's difficult but it's silly difficult to me. Not worth the $100 or whatever they charge out there now.
- Ruffled Feathers: too many bad holes (IMHO) to justify playing it often.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1300977025' post='3083773']
Slice...Embarrassed to say that I had to Google Timber Pointe knowing nothing of it. Looks like a nice track...what would you compare it to? Have you ever played Aldeen? It appears a bit like that.

We're always looking for new places to play so thanks for the input!
[/quote]

Funny you picked up on the Aldeen vibe, that's the course my group brought up as we played it (really enjoy Aldeen and the treatment we get every time we go there).
I love courses with a minimum of housing and on many of the holes at Timber Pointe, the sounds and sights are refreshingly absent of traffic noise or aluminum siding.
A countryside course, with distances to challenge every skill level.. Not pretentious at all but very well maintained. If you are looking for a new course to try, give it a shot.
It's a drive, but worth it (reasonable rates).