2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Whats your Favorite Chicago-Land Golf Courses?

Kenkaulen

Okay... I'll bite:
[u]
Favorite in the[/u]
North burbs private: Merit Club & Glen Flora
North burbs public: Stonewall Orchard & Pine Meadow
West Burbs private: Butler & Edgewood Valley
West Burbs public: Prairie Landing & Cantigny
Chicago public: Harborside Int'l both courses
Chicago private: Beverly CC & South Shore
South Burbs public: George Dunne & The Sanctuary
South Burbs private: Midlothian CC & Olympia Fields SOUTH

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played Pine Meadow for the first time on Friday afternoon. Whilst I've heard great things about it, it did not live up to expectations. Next stop Stonewall Orchard. Hopefully that can live up to expectations.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

[quote name='B-Man' timestamp='1304362143' post='3202498']
I played Pine Meadow for the first time on Friday afternoon. Whilst I've heard great things about it, it did not live up to expectations. Next stop Stonewall Orchard. Hopefully that can live up to expectations.
[/quote]

Course conditions anywhere with this weather are going to be crap... PM is an awesome layout on a ton of land. I'm assuming that it did not live up to your expectations due to course conditions.

[quote name='apprenti23' timestamp='1304366150' post='3202684']
[/quote]

Course conditions anywhere with this weather are going to be crap... PM is an awesome layout on a ton of land. I'm assuming that it did not live up to your expectations due to course conditions.
[/quote]

The course was in almost perfect condition other than a few wet patches. The layout was uninteresting and other than the length, unchallenging. The par 5s were weak, the par 3s so-so, although a couple of the par 4s were nice especially the 7th with both the tee shot and approach to the green. The bunker arrangements were weak, especially with a lack of well-placed fairway bunkers and also shallow greenside ones (eg. left of the 12th). The green surfaces rolled well but weren't extremely fast. Some slopes on the big greens but generally flat. Sure it's 25 years old and whether or not that is relative but to me it wasn't more than a long course with overlong rough and no charm in a set-up that says, "You're only a public golfer and this will kick you in the teeth so don't expect to enjoy it". It's one of those courses that should be set-up easier for public play. Too many courses around here are set-up as if every player is off scratch. So 5/10 for layout, 9 for condition and 7 overall. Better valued courses around for lesser money.

[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

[quote name='sleuth' timestamp='1302039329' post='3123378']
My favorite, [b]more budget friendly[/b] courses I play regularly:
- [b]Ruffled Feathers
[/b]- Chalet Hills
- Foxford Hills
- Bittersweet
- Thunderhawk (go at the right times)
[/quote]

Really? Budget friendly? I love RF - but I wouldn't call it budget friendly for sure.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

[quote name='Chicago Lefty' timestamp='1304449628' post='3205178']
If you book RF on Golfnow, it's not too bad. I usually get on for $50. Last year that included the free food and drink.
[/quote]

Wow,,,,that's less than I thought it was - thanks.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

[quote name='B-Man' timestamp='1304445367' post='3204994']
[/quote]

[/quote]

The course was in almost perfect condition other than a few wet patches. The layout was uninteresting and other than the length, unchallenging. The par 5s were weak, the par 3s so-so, although a couple of the par 4s were nice especially the 7th with both the tee shot and approach to the green. The bunker arrangements were weak, especially with a lack of well-placed fairway bunkers and also shallow greenside ones (eg. left of the 12th). The green surfaces rolled well but weren't extremely fast. Some slopes on the big greens but generally flat. Sure it's 25 years old and whether or not that is relative but to me it wasn't more than a long course with overlong rough and no charm in a set-up that says, "You're only a public golfer and this will kick you in the teeth so don't expect to enjoy it". It's one of those courses that should be set-up easier for public play. Too many courses around here are set-up as if every player is off scratch. So 5/10 for layout, 9 for condition and 7 overall. Better valued courses around for lesser money.
[/quote]
What are you a golf course architect? Thought the course wasn't challenging but than you say it should be set up easier? I don't get it. It's a hair under 7300 yards and with a 74.8/138 rating I would definitely not say it's easy. I guess you don't take it for what it is. It should be considered a Forest Preserve with the amount of land on it, god I can't even imagine the property value of that place even in this economy, and has some trees that have to be 300 years old. I've only played it twice but thought it was awesome. Plenty of dog legs, little elevation, long par 3's, short par 3's, risk-reward type holes. Along with everyone else I've played it with, they've all thoroughly enjoyed themselves. I guess everyone has a different opinion. However, if you don't care for Stonewall Orchard in greys lake, everything you've said about PM is void. Stonewall is an outstanding facility.

[quote name='apprenti23' timestamp='1304471080' post='3206111']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
What are you a golf course architect? Thought the course wasn't challenging but than you say it should be set up easier? I don't get it. It's a hair under 7300 yards and with a 74.8/138 rating I would definitely not say it's easy. I guess you don't take it for what it is. It should be considered a Forest Preserve with the amount of land on it, god I can't even imagine the property value of that place even in this economy, and has some trees that have to be 300 years old. I've only played it twice but thought it was awesome. Plenty of dog legs, little elevation, long par 3's, short par 3's, risk-reward type holes. Along with everyone else I've played it with, they've all thoroughly enjoyed themselves. I guess everyone has a different opinion. However, if you don't care for Stonewall Orchard in greys lake, everything you've said about PM is void. Stonewall is an outstanding facility.
[/quote]

Let me clarify. The course as currently set-up is uninteresting as is it only challenging due to its overall length and the length of the rough with no real trouble wide off the tee. To me, and where I played golf growing up, overlong rough is a cop out due to a lack of design. For Pine Meadow, added fairway bunkers at appropriate locations instead of using long rough as a hazard would make the course more playable and enjoyable. It should be set up easier for the general public but as a scratch handicapper, whilst the overall length is an obvious challenge, there wasn't much emphasis on driving the ball accurately due to the wider than normal fairways. The 2nd (par 5) whilst a semi-blind tee shot would benefit from some fairway bunkers. Also, I generally have a dislike of how most courses are typically set-up in the Chicagoland area. That being a premium on hitting the short grass with every shot with little to no room for error otherwise. Having 18" apron of mown grass on every green is boring and unimaginative. The worst set-up I ever played here is Makray Memorial where the only time I played it there was no short grass around the greens at all and they were all surrounded by immediate 2-3" rough! WTF? I believe it was Club Championship day but I'm not aware if this is how it is set-up normally. If they changed it just for the Championships, that's a tragedy and the Committee should be shot. Great lay-out other than some weak par 3s but oh boy, if that was set-up well it would be spectacular.

I continue my search for excellent courses in terms of layout and set-up but so far with the few courses I played here so far (20 or so), Prairie Landing is the best. And while the layout of Mill Creek was decent (other than the 9th), it was the best set-up I've seen here with the short grass around the greens entirely based upon the hole design and length. I.e., lots around the longer approach shots, not much on the shorter approaches and plenty of opportunity to use finesse instead of chop and hack around the greens. I've played many great layouts with weak set-ups and vice-versa. Weak set-ups are generally from course superintendents who don't want to think too much and just cut grass.

Like I said, I played most of my golf in different conditions though. That included firmer wider fairways with the rough never watered and never quite as lush here. Generally bigger, firmer and faster greens with lots of undulations. Finer and more compact sand rather than fluffy with compacted faces that never saw a buried lie. The premium was on where you finished on the fairways and not just if you hit them. It was half a world away on the Melbourne Sandbelt so yeah, I'm not expecting to find similar conditions locally. And with that being said, I'd still play anywhere on any day if I could. Who knows, the next time I play Pine Meadows I may find it totally different.

[size=3]BOOM![/size]

[quote name='hitsalittle' timestamp='1304612443' post='3210187']
FWIW, I hate Stonewall Orchard - but I love Pine Meadow. If they offered to pay me $50 to play Stonewall Orchard, I would probably choose to pay elsewhere...
[/quote]

Interesting...Stonewall Orchard seems to have a love/hate following...I've enjoyed playing there for the natural setting and many good holes. A few blind shots, which I don't care for (and the power lines) but otherwise an enjoyable experience. I've played with others that come away with an extreme dislike for the layout...Different strokes, I suppose.

1st Tier:
Blackstone
Thunderhawk
Stonewall

2nd Tier:
Cantigny (playing Friday if it doesn't rain)
Pine Meadow
Dubs
Prairie Landing
Oak Grove
Chalet

Very respectable:
Orchard Valley
Bowes
Glen Club
Whisper Creek
Ruffled
G Dunne

Worst bang for the buck:
Dubs
Glen Club
Makray

G400 Max Ad DI 7
M3 15 degree Tensei Blue
Srixon H45 19 hybrid Tour spec 8.8
Srixon Z 565/765 Nippon 125
Vokey Forged 50F, 54M, 60J Nippon 125
Scotty Cameron X7M

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='apprenti23' timestamp='1304471080' post='3206111']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Played Stonewall last Saturday. 90deg and 10mph winds. Great course both layout and condition. Played in a tourney off the tips on every hole except 3 that were moved up. Greens were lighting fast. Fastest greens I've played in years. Nice and firm but held a well-struck shot from the fairway. Generally wide open fairways that were firm also with a lot of run. Rough punishing enough if you went in it. Not sure about the blind tee shot on 10 with mine going straight over the oak on the right and lucky to stay on the left edge of the fairway. Then again it did go 340yds leaving me a 7-iron that I hit to 10'. Damn shame I lipped out the eagle putt as there was $100 on it for superskins in a field of 90. Not a fan of the 9th green, a little severe. And the surrounds on the last green could be more friendly since it already plays 615yrds.

9/10 and will definitely be heading back now that I know where each hole goes!

[size=3]BOOM![/size]

On Saturday we played out at Timber Pointe in Poplar Grove. Although it was a hike from Naperville, the course, the staff and the treatment was well worth the trip. The course itself has some very nice elevation changes, the holes all have some character and the greens were in fantastic shape. From the moment we got there through when we left we were treated incredibly well. They probably thanked us for coming no less than 5 times and also had the cart girl provide us with a beverage as a way of saying thank you.

I was very impressed with every aspect of the experience and would highly recommend it the next time you're looking for a new track.

[quote name='dbornack' timestamp='1308073802' post='3306745']
[quote name='hitsalittle' timestamp='1299939569' post='3048721']
Oak Grove would be AWESOME except for two really stupid holes,

[/quote]

Geeee.. you're not talking about the Par 5 with a tree in the fairway, are you? :)
[/quote]

Hits was talking about 11 and 13. The tree on #6 really doesn't come into play unless you're 350 or so off the tee. OK...GW member...yeah, it's in the wheel house.

Seriously though...I like it. Causes a bit of shaping on the second shot and forces a decision.

Olympia Fields South
Golf CLub Chicago

+1 on Balmoral Woods, Praire Landing and Ravisloe

You guys should head out to Northern IN. Brassie, Whitehawk, Aberdeen are good courses. Not spectacular, but good price and worth the trip.
A long ride into Indiana is a hidden gem called Rock Hollow. Imagine playing Harborside for $40 bucks.

I am surprised so many said Dunne and Harborside. Dunne is generally a dump, layout is cool. If I could put both back nines of Harborside together then maybe. I just think it is relatively boring, except for the wind.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1308196296' post='3311086']
Olympia Fields South
Golf CLub Chicago

+1 on Balmoral Woods, Praire Landing and Ravisloe

You guys should head out to Northern IN. Brassie, Whitehawk, Aberdeen are good courses. Not spectacular, but good price and worth the trip.
A long ride into Indiana is a hidden gem called Rock Hollow. Imagine playing Harborside for $40 bucks.

I am surprised so many said Dunne and Harborside. Dunne is generally a dump, layout is cool. If I could put both back nines of Harborside together then maybe. I just think it is relatively boring, except for the wind.
[/quote]

This thread proves everyone has their own opinions on golf courses, for sure. Out of curiosity, what makes Dunne generally 'a dump' to you?

I bet part of the reason for Harborside being mentioned so often is just its uniqueness. There's an awful lot of sameness among the typical parkland courses around here, especially the ones anywhere near the City. Few of them have any elevation change, and if you were taken out to the middle of most of them while blindfolded, you'd have no idea which one you were on ;) Harborside is not like anything else around here, maybe anywhere.

Played Blackstone for the first time... VERY nice track with the best greens I've played this year. Lightning quick (probably 11-12?) but receptive to well struck shots. If you're playing it for the very first time (like I did), good luck :). Don't be above the hole OR on the wrong side of the green (Very undulated, lots of swales and ridges).

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter