2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Arizona TRIP in May

Rodrigo72

(Argentina to USA)
Hi, my name is Rodrigo and first of all sorry for my english. Me and two friends decided to fly again to USA to play golf, at this time to Arizona. Well, i saw a lot of posts form Arizona golf courses and i need your help for know your opinion to our trip and your suggestions. We fly Arg. to Los Angeles at the begining of March 5/4. We drive to Palms Spring play (Silver Rock and La Quinta) we can´t play in Palmer and Nicluaks (Private coureses) at PGA West(Bob Hope Tournamet courses). Then we drive to Arizona and stay there for abuout 11 days. Well, we don't need a super resort or hotel because we are playing golf all the day, a nice resort or hotel but not a 5 stars, we preferred to spend the money in the best golf courses. We have a reserve in the Sheraton Desert Oasis (Scottsdale) and we saw too Xona Resort, but The Sheraton it´s more cheap. We think that bouth are nice, it´s ok or Xona it´s better? . Well, i make a ranking with yours rankings.(specially the ranking of One Putt Blunder). Fur us the only important is the golf course, the view, not the clubhouse and the proshop etc.

We need a ranking for play 10 or 12 days, but we need a ranking with 20 courses because if posible that we can´t found a GF and we need a buck up courses.-

That´s the ranking we made with One Putt Blunder help. What do you think?

Troon North (Pinnacle/monument)
We Ko Pa (Chola/ Sugaro)
Boulders (South/North)
Ritz Carlton (Sugaro/Trolita/Wild Burro) never played
The galley at Dove Mountain never played
Gold Canyon (Dinosaur)
GC Estrella
Grayhawk (Raptor / Talon)
TPC Scottsdale (Champions/Stadium)
Raven At Verrado
Ventana Canyon ( Mountain / Canyon) never played
Eagle Mountain
Sunridge
Southern Dunes
Legend trail
Supertions Mountain
Las Sendas
Vista Verde
Talking Stick (North)

Thank´s and if you like to add something please do it.-

My hcp is 8.-

Rodrigo

Driver GeekGofl (house of forged)
wood 4 exotics
Hybrid Titleist (nunchuck shaft)
4 to PW Epon AF 302 (KBS tour 90)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only give my opinion. I think you will receive many different rankings. I added some comments below based on my history playing in the Phoenix and Tucson areas...mostly Phoenix.

[quote name='Rodrigo72' timestamp='1300740355' post='3075040']
[size="4"]Hi, my name is Rodrigo and first of all sorry for my english. Me and two friends decided to fly again to USA to play golf, at this time to Arizona. Well, i saw a lot of posts form Arizona golf courses and i need your help for know your opinion to our trip and your suggestions. We fly Arg. to Los Angeles at the begining of March 5/4. We drive to Palms Spring play (Silver Rock and La Quinta) we can´t play in Palmer and Nicluaks (Private coureses) at PGA West(Bob Hope Tournamet courses). Then we drive to Arizona and stay there for abuout 11 days. Well, we don't need a super resort or hotel because we are playing golf all the day, a nice resort or hotel but not a 5 stars, we preferred to spend the money in the best golf courses. We have a reserve in the Sheraton Desert Oasis (Scottsdale) and we saw too Xona Resort, but The Sheraton it´s more cheap. We think that bouth are nice, it´s ok or Xona it´s better? . Well, i make a ranking with yours rankings.(specially the ranking of One Putt Blunder). Fur us the only important is the golf course, the view, not the clubhouse and the proshop etc.

We need a ranking for play 10 or 12 days, but we need a ranking with 20 courses because if posible that we can´t found a GF and we need a buck up courses.-

That´s the ranking we made with One Putt Blunder help. What do you think?

Troon North (Pinnacle/monument) -- YES BOTH. EXPENSIVE BUT WORTH IT
We Ko Pa (Chola/ Sugaro) -- YES BOTH. MUST PLAY IN MY OPINION
Boulders (South/North) -- SOUTH ONLY IN MY OPINION. SOME NEAT VIEWS OF BOULDERS BUT IT DOES WIND THROUGH HOUSES. EXPENSIVE FROM MEMORY
Ritz Carlton (Sugaro/Trolita/Wild Burro) never played -- NEVER PLAYED
The gallery at Dove Mountain never played -- PLAYED THE NORTH COURSE A COUPLE OF TIMES AND REALLY ENJOYED IT. GREAT VIEWS
Gold Canyon (Dinosaur) -- UNIQUE DESIGN. GOOD VIEWS. GOTTA PLAY IT ONCE OR TWICE BUT NOT EVERYDAY. NOT MY FAVORITE. OTHERS CONSIDER IT A MUST PLAY
GC Estrella -- YES I THINK A GOOD COURSE. I LIKE THE LAYOUT. CONDITIONS APPARENTLY ARE GREAT PER THIS FORUM. NEW OWNERSHP I THINK TOOK OVER WITHIN THE PAST COUPLE OF YEARS AND SPENT SOME MONEY
Grayhawk (Raptor / Talon) -- YES BOTH, BUT A LITTLE OVERRATED WITH SO MANY OTHER GREAT COURSES IN THE AREA. EXPENSIVE
TPC Scottsdale (Champions/Stadium) -- NOT A MUST PLAY IN MY OPINION. STADIUM COURSE IS THE PGA TOUR COURSE. NOT BORING BUT NOT GREAT. I HAVEN'T PLAYED IT IN MANY YEARS. TOO MANY OTHER BETTER COURSES IN THE AREA IN MY OPINION
Raven At Verrado -- I PERSONALLY REALLY LIKE IT. LONG DRIVING DISTANCE FROM PHOENIX/SCOTTSDALE. I LIKE THE COURSE LAYOUT, CONDITIONS AND SERVICE. I DON'T THINK IT IS MENTIONED ENOUGH
Ventana Canyon ( Mountain / Canyon) never played -- YES BOTH ARE GOOD. I LIKE THE MOUNTAIN COURSE MORE. NEITHER ARE GREAT IN MY OPINION
Eagle Mountain -- YES. NICE LAYOUT,USUALLY VERY GOOD CONDITIONS, LONG FROM THE BACK TEES. I REALLY LIKE IT
Sunridge -- NOT MY FAVORITE. MAYBE I DIDN'T HAVE A GOOD DAY. SEEMED LIKE FRONT 9 DOWN HILL AND BACK 9 UPHILL. OTHERS LIKE IT. NOT MY FAVORITE
Southern Dunes -- NEVER PLAYED
Legend trail -- I LIKE IT. DON'T LIKE IT AS MUCH AS YEARS AGO. I LIKE THE LAYOUT BUT THE CONDITIONS SEEMED TO NOT BE AS GOOD IN RECENT YEARS. I CERTAINLY WOULDN'T AVOID IT BUT I THINK IT WAS BETTER YEARS AGO
Supertions Mountain -- NEVER PLAYED
Las Sendas -- I LIKE IT. SHORT COURSE AND VERY TIGHT. SOME PEOPLE THINK TOO SHORT, TOO TIGHT AND TOO TRICKY
Vista Verde -- NEVER PLAYED
Talking Stick (North) -- GOOD COURSE. NOT GREAT IN MY OPINION. NOT A MUST PLAY

Thank´s and if you like to add something please do it.-

My hcp is 8.-

Rodrigo[/size]
[/quote]

Driver - Titleist TSR3 9.0 HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0
Fairway - Titleist TSR3 15* AD-UB 7
Hybrid - Titleist TSR3 19*
Irons - Srixon Z565 4-5i PX LZ 6.0, Z765 6-AW PX LZ 6.0 hard stepped 1x
Wedges - Vokey SM9 46F, 50F, 54D/M, 58V/T
Putter - Scotty GOLO6 34”
Ball - Pro V1x #68

[quote name='falken19150' timestamp='1300741413' post='3075101']
Um, dude. This is a dream line up. By the way those Palm Springs courses are going to be incredible. I would put We Ko Pa #1 but its a close call vs. Troon.

Hit up a place called Stax in Scottsdale. Incredible burgers and tater tots.
[/quote]

HA! Very true. Just cruise to LA area and play Sherwood, Bel Air, LA C.C, Pelican Hill and Trump and call it a day!

Ball - Pro V1x #68

[quote name='Rodrigo72' timestamp='1300813416' post='3077757']
Jamesons: you think that we need to add other courses?

Thank´s
[/quote]

11 rounds would be more than i could handle. I play 7 in 6 days and look for a vacation after! If you really plan on playing 11 rounds the list you posted is more than adequate in my opinion. You will be able to get on all the public play courses you listed if you book in advance.

Ball - Pro V1x #68

Rodrigo.

I would skip Talking Stick and play Supertition Mountain(Lost Gold Course) able. Quintero is a great course too!!!!

Since it seems you are willing to travel a bit...why not play The RIM(its a shorter drive than Tuscon). Or Sedona(Seven Canyons) or Prescot(Hassayampa and Talking Rock).

All these are should not miss in my opinion if you are going to be here. I especially recommend THE RIM!!!!!!

[quote name='jamesons' timestamp='1300741773' post='3075114']
I can only give my opinion. I think you will receive many different rankings. I added some comments below based on my history playing in the Phoenix and Tucson areas...mostly Phoenix.

[size="4"]Las Sendas -- I LIKE IT. SHORT COURSE AND VERY TIGHT. SOME PEOPLE THINK TOO SHORT, TOO TIGHT AND TOO TRICKY
[/size][/quote]
[/quote]

Jameson...what Las Sendas do you play? Its 6900+ from the tips and plays quite long. I have never heard someone say it was too short.

Thank´s [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/user/88323-puttnforthe8/"][color="#353535"]puttnforthe8[/color][/url] i never hear The RIm ist´s a great golf course. We don´t have a problem to drive 1 hour or more. We like to play in great courses, no problem to drive. OK, i add The RIM and the others courses that you recomended. I need to take off some courses in my long list jaja Thank´s

wood 4 exotics

[quote name='puttnforthe8' timestamp='1300815555' post='3077876']
Rodrigo.

I would skip Talking Stick and play Supertition Mountain(Lost Gold Course) able. Quintero is a great course too!!!!

Since it seems you are willing to travel a bit...why not play The RIM(its a shorter drive than Tuscon). Or Sedona(Seven Canyons) or Prescot(Hassayampa and Talking Rock).

All these are should not miss in my opinion if you are going to be here. I especially recommend THE RIM!!!!!!
[/quote]

First of all thank´s, but, we can play in Quintero and Hssayampa? Becuase i saw that´s a private courses. And Sedona Golf Resort it´s one course and Seven Canyons another course? or you try to tell me that play in Seven Canyons in Sedona?

Thank´s and the courses that you add to my list are greats

wood 4 exotics

[quote name='puttnforthe8' timestamp='1300816054' post='3077906']

[size="4"]Las Sendas -- I LIKE IT. SHORT COURSE AND VERY TIGHT. SOME PEOPLE THINK TOO SHORT, TOO TIGHT AND TOO TRICKY
[/size][/quote]
[/quote]

Jameson...what Las Sendas do you play? Its 6900+ from the tips and plays quite long. I have never heard someone say it was too short.
[/quote]

6,900 yards is not really short or long these days. Some of the courses you will play will offer tees well over 7,000. Some upwards of 7,300 yards. You need to remember the altitude in AZ allows the ball to travel farther so 6,900 in AZ is not necessary equal to 6,900 elsewhere. I am a 4 handicap and definitely not the lnogest hitter. I think Las Sendas is on the short side. If you play Raven at Verrado and play the back tees that will play long. That course from the back tees is a challenge for me including the altitude. I think (from memory) Legend Trail also has some holes from the back tees that will test your distance. Hope this helps!

Ball - Pro V1x #68

[quote name='jamesons' timestamp='1300825704' post='3078423']
[quote name='puttnforthe8' timestamp='1300816054' post='3077906']

[/size][/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

6,900 yards is not really short or long these days. Some of the courses you will play will offer tees well over 7,000. Some upwards of 7,300 yards. You need to remember the altitude in AZ allows the ball to travel farther so 6,900 in AZ is not necessary equal to 6,900 elsewhere. I am a 4 handicap and definitely not the lnogest hitter. I think Las Sendas is on the short side. If you play Raven at Verrado and play the back tees that will play long. That course from the back tees is a challenge for me including the altitude. I think (from memory) Legend Trail also has some holes from the back tees that will test your distance. Hope this helps!
[/quote]

Las Sendas seems to play longer than the posted yardage, lots of elevated greens and holes playing uphill. The par 5 15th hole is a monster 591 all uphill.

Driver - Titleist TSR3
Hybrid - Ping G430  
Irons - Titleist T 150 - MMT 125
Wedges - SM9 50,54,60
Putter - Scotty NP2

[quote name='Rodrigo72' timestamp='1300821286' post='3078191']
Rodrigo.

[/quote]

First of all thank´s, but, we can play in Quintero and Hssayampa? Becuase i saw that´s a private courses. And Sedona Golf Resort it´s one course and Seven Canyons another course? or you try to tell me that play in Seven Canyons in Sedona?

[/quote]

Prescott, Tucson, Sedona,,, all 1.5 - 2 hour drive from PHX. Might as well get in 36 if you are driving out of town!

Hassaympa (Prescott) and Seven Canyons (Sedona) both private courses accepting public play and can be booked on GolfNow.
Sedona Golf Resort is a different course, and is public access.
Quintero is a private that "discretely" accepts public play. You have to phone them.
The Gallery - do they still accept public play? I know they did for the first few years while they were growing the membership, but I thought it was private now.

Your list pretty much covers the generally acknowledged top courses. I will say that the style of courses are all modern, desert target type courses. Many are sited in foothill locations with scenic views and signature hole after signature hole. Your senses and your stock of spare golf balls will be bludgeoned to death by the time you finish this trip!.

If you want a break from all this, please do consider Talking Stick North (and South if playing 36). It is a PURE golf course and IMO one of the better ones in the valley.

[quote name='tjy355' timestamp='1300889335' post='3080472']
Rodrigo.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Prescott, Tucson, Sedona,,, all 1.5 - 2 hour drive from PHX. Might as well get in 36 if you are driving out of town!

Hassaympa (Prescott) and Seven Canyons (Sedona) both private courses accepting public play and can be booked on GolfNow.
Quintero is a private that "discretely" accepts public play. You have to phone them.
The Gallery - do they still accept public play? I know they did for the first few years while they were growing the membership, but I thought it was private now.

Your list pretty much covers the generally acknowledged top courses. I will say that the style of courses are all modern, desert target type courses. Many are sited in foothill locations with scenic views and signature hole after signature hole. Your senses and your stock of spare golf balls will be bludgeoned to death by the time you finish this trip!.

If you want a break from all this, please do consider Talking Stick North (and South if playing 36). It is a PURE golf course and IMO one of the better ones in the valley.
[/quote]

OK, we don´t have a problem to drive 1.5 hour or 2, but it´s really amazing courses for make this trip or not?

wood 4 exotics

[quote name='falken19150' timestamp='1300741413' post='3075101']
Um, dude. This is a dream line up. By the way those Palm Springs courses are going to be incredible. I would put We Ko Pa #1 but its a close call vs. Troon.

Hit up a place called Stax in Scottsdale. Incredible burgers and tater tots.
[/quote]

Amen, i ate at Stax on Saturday and it was great. The owner is pretty cool. I got to talk to him for awhile about golf and the area. Really enjoyed my visit to that restaurant.

[quote name='Rodrigo72' timestamp='1301338382' post='3096565']
[quote name='tjy355' timestamp='1300889335' post='3080472']
Rodrigo.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

OK, we don´t have a problem to drive 1.5 hour or 2, but it´s really amazing courses for make this trip or not?
[/quote]

:clapping: [size="6"]RIM: YES, Hassayampa: YES, Talking Rock: YES Seven Canyons:Yes, Quintero: YES
[/size]

OK, i add to my list:

The Rim
Hassayampa
Talking Rock
Seven Canyons
QuIntero
Desert Canyon Golf course?

and

Lookout Mountain?

We don´t like to play in pricey courses, if it´s a graet course we don´t have a problem to pay. Because, it´s posible tqht we pay around 50 dollars in a great course and other similar we have to pay 100 or more dollars

Another golf course to add?

Thank´s

THank´s

wood 4 exotics

Rodrigo -That is a very nice list of courses. I've revised your list in my order of preference and here's a link to my photos of the listed courses so [size=4]you can see what these courses look like: [/size][url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/collections/72157631875831171/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/collections/72157631875831171/[/url]

We Ko Pa (Cholla/Saguaro) - Saguarao is one of my favorites anywhere
Southern Dunes - You must play here. It is different than the others
Troon North (Pinnacle/monument)
Boulders (South/North) - Prefer the South
Vista Verde
Raven At Verrado
Gold Canyon (Dinosaur)
Grayhawk (Raptor / Talon)
Talking Stick (North)
TPC Scottsdale (Champions/Stadium) - Overpriced. Cool to play if you've seen the pros play it
GC Estrella
Eagle Mountain
Superstiton Mountain
Sunridge Canyon -This course was too dificil para me
Legend Trail

I have not played the following:
Ventana Canyon
Ritz Carlton
The Galley at Dove Mountain

A couple that have not been mentioned but are not bad are Rancho Manana, Whirlwind and Longbow

I work at Ventana Canyon and I absolutely love the course. The greens aren't in immaculate condition (we had some bad frost this winter so some of the edges are damaged and there are some new sod areas) but they do run fast. The Bermuda grass is starting to pop up but the fairways are in beautiful condition. Mountain plays a little harder than Canyon but both have their equal easy and hard holes. If you do end up coming out here let me know when you're in town. I can probably get you a good rate there and show you the ropes of the course.

-Shipwreck

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Thank´s thank´s thank´s and thank´s to Sabram and Shipwreck.-
Thank´s Sabram for your list and your photos and thank´s Shipwreck i send a PM when arrived to Arizona for play in Ventana Canyon. Thnak´s again for all.-

Rodrigo.-

wood 4 exotics

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Rodrigo72' timestamp='1303919235' post='3190116']
Need help. I need to know at what time it´s too late for start to play golf in Palms Spings and in Socttsdale betwwen 4 to 22 of may? Thanks it´s for know to the TW green fees.-
[/quote]

Sunrise/sunset table for Scottsdale - May 2011
[url]http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=889&month=5&year=2011&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1[/url]

Click "change location" for Palm Springs.

Of course you have to guess how long the round will take. Less than 4 hours if the course is not busy, as much as 5 hours if you are unlucky.