New uPro a lemon

NO LONGER A brick in a box
Just received my new uPro MX in the mail today. I was fully prepared to deal with the new website issues and was excited to see the box waiting for me when I got home today. I installed the battery, plugged it in to charge and no response from the unit. I called Callaway and apparently the unit is faulty....talk about disappointed. From what the rep told me I am not alone on this issue. The rep was very matter of fact and did not even apologize. So now I have to ship it back to the vendor and wait on a replacement...thats probably a 3 week process. I can't believe my luck. I am going to give it one more shot eventhough I have some serious reservations as to the quality control at Callaway. Everyone deserves a second chance, they won't get a third. Hope others have better luck.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is ANOTHER one. Sorry. Cally gets no money from me.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I just got mine in the mail today as well. I am able to get the screen to come on when I plug it in but it shows as fully charged and the red light blinks (which supposedly means fully charged). When I unplug it from the wall it goes dark.

I suspect it just needs charging but has anyone else experienced the unit reading 100% charged/red light blinking out of the box? I have my fingers crossed I do not have a bad unit like sirparalot.

I can remember one of my Sales Management Professors telling the class that it only costs $1 to retain a satisfied customer, while it costs $10 to recruit a new customer.

This isn't directed at anyone or any company in particular, but the economics should be obvious.

Driver #1: TM Aeroburner TP 10.5 °
Driver #2 TM Aeroburner TP Mini 14°
5W: TM Aeroburner TP 18°
Hybrid: TM Aeroburner TP 19°
Irons: TM Tour Preferred CB 4 - AW
Wedge: TM Tour Preferred 56° ATV
Putter#1: Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport Two
Putter#2: Scotty Cameron California Sea Mist Fastback 1/500
Putter#3: Scotty Cameron California Hollywood
Sun Mountain C-130 Red, White & Blue
Handicap 27.1

After scrolling through all the posts it seems Callaway has a Major issue on their hands and Golf WRX site is just a small sampling of early adaptors having problems with the unit. I have to believe this is only going to get worse before it gets better. It's been almost 2 weeks and no web site to update units and Callaway is trying to make it OK by offering 5 free credits, I guess that's something!
Battery issues are the main problem but locking up is a software issue and with no web site to get the updates, Callaway is just trying buy time....
I was told from a Golf Galaxy person that they had to launch the unit because of all the ads they committed to for Father's day and were not ready for the release and the store has had a number of complaints and returns. Saw the unit for the first time yesterday and looks cool, but screen is very small and personally like a bigger screen. I would say after looking at their stock that the company is struggling and they are under a lot of pressure from a company stand point and this category is just a small part of their business, but has to be a Major concern from the share holders and retailers. My advice to Callaway, stick to making Clubs you have a Lemon on your hands......

I have to respectfully disagree somewhat. The most important thing is that Callaway does not have a lemon on their hands - at least I hope. Why? Because I have one. Albeit I had to return it for a replacement because I found it defective. The first one did have some issues but the yardages were spot on even with the issues. Now I'm waiting for the replacement which should be here in a day or two.

Even Micro$oft had issues with their operating systems when they first released them. Remember ME? It was a rush job to get it out but it wound up working just fine. Same with XP and Vista. Now Windows 7 has its negative comments. They were all bad in the beginning but the later released service packs corrected the errors. Most [if not all] companies have negative issues when they release something new but usually work it out with updates and fixes.

As for the size, I wear reading glasses but not on the golf course and I find the screen easy to see and read. I like the idea of it being able to comfortably fit in my pocket. I don't want to forget it on the cart when I turn it in.

Nevertheless, all comments are appreciated by someone and they do help in the decision. :rolleyes:

[quote name='chas521' timestamp='1307107152' post='3281935']
I have to respectfully disagree somewhat. The most important thing is that Callaway does not have a lemon on their hands - at least I hope. Why? Because I have one. Albeit I had to return it for a replacement because I found it defective. The first one did have some issues but the yardages were spot on even with the issues. Now I'm waiting for the replacement which should be here in a day or two.

Even Micro$oft had issues with their operating systems when they first released them. Remember ME? It was a rush job to get it out but it wound up working just fine. Same with XP and Vista. Now Windows 7 has its negative comments. They were all bad in the beginning but the later released service packs corrected the errors. Most [if not all] companies have negative issues when they release something new but usually work it out with updates and fixes.

As for the size, I wear reading glasses but not on the golf course and I find the screen easy to see and read. I like the idea of it being able to comfortably fit in my pocket. I don't want to forget it on the cart when I turn it in.

Nevertheless, all comments are appreciated by someone and they do help in the decision. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I will agree not everything coming out the box works, and having an SGX I would know. I was one of the lucky ones and had very little issues with mine. Having said that, Callaway is no Microsoft and the GPS category is probably less than 10% of all sales. Plus this unit along with the software should have been Beta tested to make sure it works. Keep in mind SkyGolf had issues and it's all they do. Callaway makes all their money on Clubs, Balls...
SkyGolf Got ripped because of a Bad launch, Callaway should have known better and should be getting ripped too!!

If I were going to buy this unit, I would wait..........

I think the new unit will eventually distinguish itself well once the dust settles. New units have new software, and new software has new bugs. This is just the reality of software powered devices.

And then there are the folks that scream 'defective' because they put the battery in backwards. A number of folks have confessed to this in another thread including TuscanDivots. Others see a couple of software bugs and assume defective hardware as well.

And it is rare that a new launch has Reps up to speed on known issues so they are quick to recommend a return. Where do you think all those refurbs come from?

My unit does indeed have a few 'rough edges'. But like my Garmin before it, they were straightened out in software updates. Hardly deserving of the typical internet forum doom and gloom lemon speak being bantered about here.

Bottom line… if some bugs flip you out, don't buy software controlled devices on day one. Give the early adopters time to flush out the issues, and the developer time to fix them.

[quote name='Bscary' timestamp='1307119970' post='3282456']
^^^its tough to hold off on a gps that you have been wanting comes out right when the golf season is starting up in a lot of states. especially if you dont have one already and are not just upgrading.
[/quote]
Heh heh. Boy do I know it. I had to get one right away… and I have a perfectly good G5 in my bag.

But you have to expect a few issues with a new device at launch. Mine ha a bit of a charging glitch on the second charge (after being connected to a computer instead of the AC adaptor), and I have managed to traverse to a blank screen on a couple of occasions.

Other issues I have seen is some display glitches, and the time zone seems to reset when you preview a course in another part of the country (and takes a while to get back to the right one). But all in all it works well and I can't stop playing with it.

The main reason I have not had a upro until now was a bit too much button pressing, and visibility issues with the cheesy coated plastic lens over the display of the original. The mx is a vast improvement. And while I disagree with some of the interface decisions requiring gestures for data input (I think finding courses to preview and entering data for shot tracking and score recording is more cumbersome than need be), I am still pretty happy with it.

Double tapping to zoom, and being able to drag around the promode hole image with your finger is way cool!

I actually bought mine after reading a lot of the issues going on in here and is the reason I bought it is because of what it has to offer and the price it went for. I'm having no problems with mine and bought it this past Tuesday and used it golfing in the middle of the week and really enjoyed it. The more bells and whistles an electronic device has one has to expect some to have some soft wear issues which should be resolved and this has especially happened in cell phones so its something to relate to. Because of what I read here, I bought mine from a local sports business and didn't try to beat the buck on ebay so that I'd have peace of mind and have a physical place to deal with and that offered a two year replacement guarantee if any thing goes defective on the device for $36, and they will replace or give me my money back or an equal device. So for me this was the way to go and I usually don't buy extended warranties but have been finding it more encouraging to do in this day and age. Hopefully we all think positive and try to help each other out and our feed back helps the Company to resolve the issues which I believe they will with out a doubt.

I'm reminded of the people that spent a day in line to get the new iPhone 4 and then two more months complaining about the antenna.

Early adopters always encounter the bugs.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

[quote name='stage1350' timestamp='1307141144' post='3283258']Early adopters always encounter the bugs.
[/quote]
For some of us… that is part of the fun!

Just as in a beta trial, properly reporting issues and suggestions of new/modified behavior by early adopters help shape the future of the device.

[quote name='Solutions Etcetera' timestamp='1307141921' post='3283279']
[quote name='stage1350' timestamp='1307141144' post='3283258']Early adopters always encounter the bugs.
[/quote]
For some of us… that is part of the fun!

Just as in a beta trial, properly reporting issues and suggestions of new/modified behavior by early adopters help shape the future of the device.
[/quote]

Well said!!!!!

Callaway UPRO Support: I resolved the battery issue -- it was my fault. Used it for the first time today and it worked great. Scrolling is a little difficult to get used to and I am really looking forward to the Pro Mode being activated. It is compact, responsive and easy to see in the sunlight. I had about 43% battery left after 18 holes. [b] So everyone knows, Callaway UPRO Support responded (see attached) in less than 12 hours after I sent an email about a potential problem (which turned out to be my fault).

[/b]
[quote name='Callaway UPRO pro' timestamp='1307115131' post='3282251']
[size="2"]Tucsondivots - [/size]
[size="2"]
[/size]
[size="2"]Thank you for purchasing a upro mx device and sorry to hear you're having trouble with the battery. It is a little difficult to troubleshoot without speaking with you directly but one quick suggestion is to give the battery connectors on the device and those located on the battery a gentle wipe with a clean cloth to remove any oxidation that might be present. Then re-install the battery and ensure that the Callaway logo on the battery is facing down. If this doesn't resolve the issue, please contact Callaway uPro Technical Support at [color="#0000ff"][u][email protected][/u][/color] or 888-358-5788. We are confident we can help you resolve the issue in one way or another. Thanks again.[/size]

-Callaway Tech Support
[quote name='tucsondivots' timestamp='1307060878' post='3281072']
I just got mine in the mail today as well. I am able to get the screen to come on when I plug it in but it shows as fully charged and the red light blinks (which supposedly means fully charged). When I unplug it from the wall it goes dark.

I suspect it just needs charging but has anyone else experienced the unit reading 100% charged/red light blinking out of the box? I have my fingers crossed I do not have a bad unit like sirparalot.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[quote name='tucsondivots' timestamp='1307150369' post='3283528']
Callaway UPRO Support: I resolved the battery issue -- it was my fault. Used it for the first time today and it worked great. Scrolling is a little difficult to get used to and I am really looking forward to the Pro Mode being activated. It is compact, responsive and easy to see in the sunlight. I had about 43% battery left after 18 holes. [b] So everyone knows, Callaway UPRO Support responded (see attached) in less than 12 hours after I sent an email about a potential problem (which turned out to be my fault).

[/b]
[quote name='Callaway UPRO pro' timestamp='1307115131' post='3282251']
[size="2"]Tucsondivots - [/size]

[size="2"]Thank you for purchasing a upro mx device and sorry to hear you're having trouble with the battery. It is a little difficult to troubleshoot without speaking with you directly but one quick suggestion is to give the battery connectors on the device and those located on the battery a gentle wipe with a clean cloth to remove any oxidation that might be present. Then re-install the battery and ensure that the Callaway logo on the battery is facing down. If this doesn't resolve the issue, please contact Callaway uPro Technical Support at [color="#0000ff"][u][email protected][/u][/color] or 888-358-5788. We are confident we can help you resolve the issue in one way or another. Thanks again.[/size]

-Callaway Tech Support
[quote name='tucsondivots' timestamp='1307060878' post='3281072']

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

I found the cleaning the battery contacts and contacts on the device to be very interesting. My unit runs good and I would have a slight hesitation of scrolling very miner from time to time and some slight delays but I figured it was from satellite loading. For the heck of it, I took out the battery and cleaned contacts where mentioned and it was like a fine tuning of the unit. It took care of some of the slight delays I did get and turned a good running unit into a great running unit. (which I was pleased with anyways)
Either the unit is getting better with age or I'm getting better with age or both!!!!!! The input we're all giving one another has been very helpful in understanding our units and I can't wait for the updates. It just gets better and better!!!!! I believe its worth while for every one to clean their contacts. Just my two cents!!! I think I'm up to five cents now!!!!!

[quote name='2left' timestamp='1307169560' post='3283884']
My mx screen was freezing up. I called Callaway tech support. They didn't even try to offer me a solution -- they just told me to go back and exchange the unit where I bought it.
[/quote]
Curious as to what you might think you could have done? If it is freezing then it is a software issues. It's not like an operating system where the end user has access to configuration files. They gave you the best solution that would get you a new unit quicker.

Mine works great! 54 holes and counting...I won't say if its worth upgrading from a perfectly fine original Upro but if your in the market for a golf GPS like I was this has to be on the short list. Perfect size, features and price point.

Now if they can just get that web site up.....but 5 free downloads has definitely eased the sting for me.

[quote name='wundej' timestamp='1307192895' post='3284055']
[quote name='2left' timestamp='1307169560' post='3283884']
My mx screen was freezing up. I called Callaway tech support. They didn't even try to offer me a solution -- they just told me to go back and exchange the unit where I bought it.
[/quote]
Curious as to what you might think you could have done? If it is freezing then it is a software issues. It's not like an operating system where the end user has access to configuration files. They gave you the best solution that would get you a new unit quicker.
[/quote]

Yeah, my post wasn't too clear. When I call tech support about a technology product, they usually perform some troubleshooting or an explanation -- like saying it's a firmware issue but no update is on the horizon. The impression I got from his voice and the way he said things (only my personal impression, of course) was that Callaway has got a lot of calls about the MX and doesn't know what to do about it.

Darn. This morning I turned on my unit to see how it is doing. I clicked on "Play golf" backed out to the home screen, and my unit froze up. This time, though, even the power button didn't work, so I had to take out the battery to turn it off. Seems that failure of the hard buttons is a deeper issue than failure of the touch screen, which I could understand might be tricky. Like not being able to hard reboot your PC, and having to unplug it instead.

[quote name='2left' timestamp='1307203063' post='3284293']Seems that failure of the hard buttons is a deeper issue than failure of the touch screen, which I could understand might be tricky. Like not being able to hard reboot your PC, and having to unplug it instead.
[/quote]
Note that the hard reset button is akin to pulling the plug, except it does not remove power from the power supply. The power and mode buttons on the mx are software controlled as they do different things at different times.

You might wish to power up your mx holding down both the power button and mode button. You will see the upro logo animate with blue letters when starting up. My understanding is this is a deeper reset than just powering down the unit.

Well my new unit came in...very quick response. I no longer have a brick in a box. I took it out this morning and was very pleased with how the unit performed. Locked on quick, accurate distances, easy to use scoring, no lockups.. The touch screen definitely does not have the savvy of an iphone or ipad but once pro mode is ready to go I believe this will be a winner. I am glad I decided to give it one more chance. Good bye skycaddie annual dues!!!!!!