2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

GolfWRX First Looks of the Nike Sumo Squared!

Gxgolfer

The picture does do it justice! My Nike rep brought it in last tuesday it is the most hideous thing I have ever seen but he wouldn't let me hit it so I didn't get any numbers off the launch monitor. However the regular sumo looked pretty good deep face like the tour SQ but same front to back as regular SQ. both still have Yellow and black cosmetics on bottom. The new headcover is much easier to get on and off. :cheesy:

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are all the good pics at? What happened to all the new stuff that is supposed to be coming? Videos, new pics, etc.

Since material was released last week. They have delayed videos and more pics to Oct. 1st...

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

Nikeguy quote: "If you doubt that this is the wave of the future I respect that but check Cobra Irons; Ping Driver and Cleveland Golf because they have followed Nike with the Geometry story and Benefits."

Nikeguy, once again, with all due respect, the above statement really twists the truth with revisionist history with an amazing marketing spin.

Ping following Nike in Geometry?! Please. Karsten Solheim is the FATHER of modern golf club geometry, as far as I, and most of the industry are concerned. His cavity backed putters increased MOI from the blades that pre-dated them, just as his cavity backed irons did the same, all years before Nike was even a shoes compant and DECADES before Nike was ever into golf, and nearly half a century (!) before Nike was into clubs.

Nearly 20 years ago I had the honor of working with Minoru Yoneyama and team on the Yonex ADX. We were using adanced composites to increase the head size (geometry) and yes, MOI, of what we called "wide body" drivers, FW woods and even irons. The drivers even had scolloped crowns (before Cobra). GD didn't even know how to compare these radical new head sizes and I suggested volumetric displacement, in cc units, like car engine displacement - so they went with it. The multimaterial, widebody Yonex ADX irons were 15 years ahead of today's hybrids.

Even the late Ely Callaway, upon introducing his new plans for the future of his company's products, and the benefits of multimaterial designs, had the grace and humility to give great credit and homage to Mr. Yoneyama and his innovations. Today's FT-3 driver and tomorrow square Callaway driver all benefit from the innovations that preceded them, and the new discoveries layered on top of them, which are very, very significant.

Those of us lucky enough to work in or be around this industry as long as we have would certainly appreciate an accurate portrayal of who has been pioneering what technologies.

X-Stiff- I mispoke on this subject...Mr Solheim is the Father of most Club technology and design. People borrow what they can and improve on these Ideas. I by no means meant to disrespect any of these great pioneers of golf and retract all previous statements.

nikeguy,

where can I see these MOI numbers you are refering to, from the R&A/PGA testing?

What is the limit on MOI?

Does anyone know what the limit is on face size?

Keyser-

The MOI Information should be on the USGA website. I believe the Limit was increased from 4700 g/cm2 to 5500 g/cm2. I am not exactly sure where the Limit is on this.

I can only find which clubs confirm, not MOI measurments... do you have a link?

It will be exciting to see wether the Sumo2 or the Callaway FT-I will win the MOI war... Callaway surely have the potential with all they weight they can move around with their fusion patent.

callaway is only moving 44 grams of weight. plus, its not just about how much weight you are moving, but where you are moving it to. the further away the better.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

"only" 44 grams is still probably twice as much as others(even the ones using carbon crowns) and they´ve upped it to 50 grams in the ft-5.

I agree 100% it´s where you put the weight, and that´s why I say callaway has the POTENTIAL to have the highest MOI, because they have the patent on the fusion technology, they´re the only ones that can move close to this amount of weight, and no one has a patent on putting the weight deep(or square).

Regardless of the design, this blurry phone cam photo has been viewed over 1000 times and created over 190 posts already in this forum. Even if this stick sucks I am 100% certain that Nike, upon launching it, will get back all R&D spendings for this club through the value generated by mediaexposure alone. My complimets to Nikes R&...sorry...marketing department.

"X-Stiff- I mispoke on this subject...Mr Solheim is the Father of most Club technology and design. People borrow what they can and improve on these Ideas. I by no means meant to disrespect any of these great pioneers of golf and retract all previous statements."

Nikeguy, you do not have to retract all your previous statements. You have every right to be excited and proud of the new Nike equipment. Tom and his team do fantastic work, always have and from everything I have seen, they are adding more and more to their capabilities and talent pool, and new breakthrough innovations.

Keyser - the limit set by the USGA and R&A is 5,900 gm-cm2, with a test tolerance of 100 gm-cm2. This is more than they originally proposed, thankfully. See link below:

http://www.usga.org/equipment/notices/noti...ouncements.html

The new square heads make complete engineering sense, and no doubt future improvements in materials, engineering and design will push the MOI all the way to the limit. The question in my mind is how many will use these new drivers with their unconventional looks. Putter designers like Bobby Grace and Solheim's son and grandson have pushed MOI in putters like the Amazing Grace and Doc 17, but not everyone wants to putt with a large mallet. An educated guess, but I believe more golfers on this site putt with a Newport 2 than a Futura, even though the Futura has a much much higher MOI. Clearly MOI forgiveness is amplified in 300 yard drives, so maybe that's the answer: max forgiveness where most golfers need it most. We'll see. It should be a fun ride. Bring on the square drivers! Personally, I can't wait.

*XS*