GolfWRX First Looks of the Nike Sumo Squared!

Gxgolfer

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact they aren´t using around the crown or nexti shows that nike are all about hype, but I do think the square will be very good. But what excuse do they have for stop using their nexti and around the crown?

This Driver is as Ugly as any driver ever made...Looks do not indicate performance(Hi-Bore). This driver is very long and straight and performs much better than the SQ or SQ Sumo. The Idea is that MOI is increased by moving the Weight to the Corners of the Driver. MOI is the Trend in Golf and this Driver has a ridiculously high MOI. MOI=Stability=Forgiveness=Longer and Straighter Shots.

The SQ Sumo has a Lower and Deeper CG because the Power Bow is lower than the original SQ. This driver is more traditional looking.

I think poeple will be surprised at the performance of these products, The Fort Worth Guys know what they are doing and this product will be a huge surprise to people who doubt the performance and playability of this product. Golf Digest in the November Issue talks about MOI and the USGA proposed Limit. They specifically say...Composite and Moveable weights do not affect ball flight and trajectory like changing the Geometry of the club itself. That is why we have the Hi-Bore and the G5 Hybrid becuase by changing the shape of the club you can positively effect ball flight and performance. These are 2 great companies and they have decided that Geometry is the way to go not moveable weights. Cobra is also going to the MOI story on products due to the performance benefits of increased MOI from Drivers to Putters.

Nikeguy - in all due respect, I think you are misquoting GD mag, as to the benefits of geometry over materials (like composite) and movable weights (such as r7's MWT). Geometry can be used to produce a large MOI as in the SUMO. And carbon crowns can be used to lower the CG or reposition "performance mass" or discretionary weight as with clubs like the FT-3 (and new square Callaway - the FT-4?). Customizable weight is used for both redistribution of mass, and also for custom fitting, and altering ball flight POST MANUFACTURE.

Fixed geometry changes cannot offer any of the fitting / optimization benefits provided by movable weights. Note the USGA limits on MOI specifically restrict the MOI INCLUDING all possible weight configurations, due to the fact that otherwise, moving large moveable weights to the outside corners from other positions could potentially increase the MOI PAST the limit. So IMO, the ultimate driver would incorporate all these technologies: max COR, Max volume, square geometry, advanced materials, AND customizable CG for ultimate performance, fitting and optimization for each and eery one of us.

Extrastiff- No Disrespect taken.I was specifically quoting the November Issue of Golf Digest 2005 regarding MOI and the ruling that was pending at the time. please research this article because it set the stage for this trend due to SQ unusual MOI. SQ is specifically mentioned as being at the former limit of 5000 g/cm2. They are the ones who wrote the article not me. Plus MOI is increased through Geometry more than Materials as evidenced by the SQ line of products that all have significantly higher MOI than anyone even Callaway FT-3. The 4 Highest MOI Drivers in Golf are Nike Products and the SQ line is way beyond the R7 line or the Callaway line of products that chose the Material Route while Nike went the direction of Geometry.

I am not saying that the other drivers are not great drivers but Just based on what you are saying about weight configurations and this limitation all that is left to achieve a High MOI (5250) is to change the Geometry of the Club. This is obviously legal because the SUMO SQUARED driver is being released in Feb 2007. I am so surprised that People are so Set on the FT-4 Square Driver coming out next year when no one has seen anything except conceptual drawings. Like I said on previous posts I hope they do come out with a Square Driver.

Just my 02cents :diablo: :yess:

Nikeguy, thanks. FYI, there have been pictures posted in other threads on this site showing Callaway patents, a I think you would admit beyond just "conceptual drawings." There have also been comments posted by others regarding people testing square Callaway prototypes. To my knowledge, the Callaway blog info predated the Nike Sumo blog info. Yet Nike beat Callaway to the market via their introduction to reps and top accounts, and to this site and some others. They clearly get the viral marketing methods and are no doubt monitoring this site, especially keen to hear what everyone thinks about these new radical looking drivers with higher performance paired against what many consider ugly looks.

With more due respect to your enthusiastic repeating the NKE salesman marketing pitch, cheerleading SUMO MOI numbers and comparisons to the other industry players, you have to admit you are currently comparing their new 2007 product against 2006 competitors' numbers.

I for one will hold my opinion as to who is best in MOI, looks, playability and performance package (including validating success on Tour) when I see the other Mfr's 2007 products and the new season with these products really starts to unfold.

I personally still want optimization and user adjustability for my game, as to most of my friends, players, clubbuilders and fitters that I know.

I see there are more players currently using weight adjustable technology and multimaterial weighting on tour than pure geometry only technologies. Nike is leading the driver wins on tour this year, thanks to TW especially, and their growing staff. I do think there are actually more r7 wins for non-staff players. IMO, that is a powerful endorsement of customizable CG technology (players endorsing other products but winning with a competitor's).

As others have said, all this new technology is being maximized under the USGA's desire to reign it in. We as the consumers do benefit from these technological advances.

*XS*

My prediction is that this driver will win the Golf Digest Driver Award unless someone can come out with a driver with Higher MOI.

I predict that too. But that's because Nike spends a lot of advertising dollars with GD.

I find it fascinating that Nike keep screaming in our faces about how big a difference MOI makes and that their clubs have the highest MOI available, which, you would believe makes them easy to hit and accurate, right!? well if that's the case then how come the BEST player in the world can't find a fairway with all the SQ models??

I find it fascinating that Nike keep screaming in our faces about how big a difference MOI makes and that their clubs have the highest MOI available, which, you would believe makes them easy to hit and accurate, right!? well if that's the case then how come the BEST player in the world can't find a fairway with all the SQ models??

I really hope this statement is in jest............

MOI Numbers for all drivers are avialable for anyone to see...I am not pitching a Nike Sales Moto. Cobra; Cleveland and all of the Top OEM's are going to the MOI route. All I am saying is that Nike was the leader in MOI and they owned the Highest MOI Driver in 2005(ignite); 2006(SQ) now they have two with even more MOI. I am not doubting any Proto Type Square Driver's by Callaway and I am on record saying that I would like to see it. Nike has screamed about MOI because they won the Driver Award due to the Geometry Story and they are leading the way with MOI technology. Numbers don't lie and these can all be checked and verified by any of you guys who keep saying wait for other cpompanies product for 07'. I love all the talk about Tiger and his driver but people seem to forget that Nike has won 6 times without Tiger and unike alot of companies these guys are all head to toe. 7 guys in the top 10 on the PGA Tour money list this year???? All of this talk about tiger but before he won his 5 straight Nike was still leading the Tour with wins in DRIVER; IRONS; FAIRWAY AND WEDGES...HUUUMMMM The comment about Nike spending money with GD is interesting because they are new to Golf and the Other OEM's have contributed alot more than Nike in the Past and YOY. Nike mostly advertises in Golf World and Golf Week if you actually had any Idea what you are talking about. Titleist/Footjoy gives the most money to GD so please do your homework on that statement. My example is the Comsumer Reports ball test which was unbiased and Nike won...HuMMMMMMM. There is no love for Nike but that is OK because they are out front with Innovation...4-piece(3 cover ball); Around the Crown(which is in the SUMO SQUARED).

;) :idhitit:

nikemike, all i mean is why don't nike just make a club that doesn't cause controversy. obviously they are trying to make the best products and in creating a square driver they gain huge publicity, but, i really thought nike were on to something when they launched the ignite. it was a nice looking club and it hit the ball miles. i just don't get why it has to be square. alot of golfers will be put off of buying what will probably be a fundamentally sound driver just because of its looks.

CROC HUNTER- Nike made the Square driver because they can...They chose to be innovative and be a leader by coming to market with a driver that they had before the SQ, from my sources. They offer the Sumo which is similar to the SQ. Why wouldn't Nike release this club if they can??? That is a funny thing to say because everyone thought the SQ was radical but the Tour Players loved the Club and won with it right away. I just wonder why people are so worried about what Nike does??? My opinion is that poeple are a little worried about Nike being the leader on anything.

But with the limits the USGA is placing on the driver, radical moves in design/materials were the next place to go with technology.

Well said, my friend.

Think about those mallet putters, esp. Ping UG-LY. MOI will play more important role in club design from now on.

If it did well, we will see lots company following Nike. Think about 460cc, even Titleist had one now.

Tiger hits more fairways than Phil; VJ or any other big name player with serious length. Tiger has improved his Fairways hit from 50% with Ignite to 61% with SQ...Really good percentage for a guys who is in the Top 5 on Tour in Driver Distance. Just funny how people who think the SQ products don't work seem to forget that Nike has 13 wins by 6 different people. 5 different guys have won with this product besides Tiger...

AMES-Players Championship(Top Field)

Immelman-Western Open(Top Field)should have won the Wachovia and Byron Nelson

Campbell-(Chrysler Championship)

Petterson-Memorial Tourney(Top Field)

Couch-Zurich Classic (no Comment)

Funny CROC Hunter...MOI is everyone's story in golf going forward because it has been a proven winner in game improvement Products in the past and present.

Slingshot-Original Geometry Story.

CPR Woods- Scoop Back Geometry(aka Hi-bore)

Slingshot OSS-(Ugly but effective)

SQ-Geometry in Drivers.

If you doubt that this is the wave of the future I respect that but check Cobra Irons; Ping Driver and Cleveland Golf because they have followed Nike with the Geometry story and Benefits.

:diablo: :idhitit:

No question Nike staffers have and and incredible year and Tigers year is outstanding..but as long as we are being honest...

VJ and Phil hit more drivers off the tee then Tiger does... if there was a way to figure out tee shots with bigstick ONLY... you would see Tiger's fairway hit number fall . In all honesty with all 3 of these top talents in the PGA they have been missing fairway...cant blame or give credit to the bigstick.

Nice to know they still use the "around the crown"... really rubs me the wrong way whena company markets something as something great, and then just stops using it out of the blue(bubble, fatshaft, etc etc.)... I mean, if the company really believes it´s better... why stop using it?

Any info on why they aren´t using the nexti(which they specifically promoted as lighter and stronger than beta ti.. .which they use now!)?

I do like nike products.. I have the slingshot irons, I didn´t like the ignite(thought it felt horrible), I found the SQ ok(but the large explosive feeling face of the cobra I prefer), and if the Sumo squared will have a large face, it might go in my back. I just find their marketing funny(but it seems to work) with all their names on everything "max back" "powerbow" bla bla, and I presume their marketing team is color blind.

Will they be coming out with a .86 version for asia?

p.s. Thanks for your info, appreciate it.

Tiger hits more fairways than Phil; VJ or any other big name player with serious length. Tiger has improved his Fairways hit from 50% with Ignite to 61% with SQ...Really good percentage for a guys who is in the Top 5 on Tour in Driver Distance.

am a huge nike ho, the signature speaks for itself, but that is the most misleading stat. maybe tiger is hitting 61% of the fairways this year, but that is with the sq, and a lot of 3 woods, 5 woods and irons. british open he hit 0% fairways with the sq (well, he did hit the fairway it just wasn't the fairway of the hole he was on).

i'm not blaming this lack of accuracy on the sq, but rather tiger. he admits to blocking shots and to getting too quick. no amount of moi is going to fix swing flaws.

FYI...SQ SUMO SQUARED has Around the Crown on the Driver.

what about the sumo? how come the sq max didn't have the around the crown?

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

No question Nike staffers have and and incredible year and Tigers year is outstanding..but as long as we are being honest...

VJ and Phil hit more drivers off the tee then Tiger does... if there was a way to figure out tee shots with bigstick ONLY... you would see Tiger's fairway hit number fall . In all honesty with all 3 of these top talents in the PGA they have been missing fairway...cant blame or give credit to the bigstick.

The Bigger hitters miss more fairways because of where they hit the ball.

Does anyone know when we should expect this to come out? Will they wait until spring?

Feb. 1st launch. But, that's pretty far off. Retailers are putting in orders for next season shipments.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

The Bigger hitters miss more fairways because of where they hit the ball.

you missed the point again.. in an earlier thread you stated some things about Tiger's fairways hit and his driver progression and the fairway hit number going up. You are clearly wrong .. we all know you are a Nikeguy and probably and employee which is all fine and great.. just stay with the facts and dont make imaginary numbers up. :idhitit:

Personnally, it could be a bright orange triangle with flashing lights and a gizmo that shoots sparks off when i hit the ball and i wouldn't care,,, as long as it works.

If this thing makes long straight bombs easy to hit, then it'll be in my bag. Simple as that. And that goes for any manufacturer/club.

Me driving it 20 yards farther up the fairway than my playing partners on a regular basis will put a stop to all the comments about it's appearance in a hurry.

Nikeguy quote: "If you doubt that this is the wave of the future I respect that but check Cobra Irons; Ping Driver and Cleveland Golf because they have followed Nike with the Geometry story and Benefits."

Nikeguy, once again, with all due respect, the above statement really twists the truth with revisionist history with an amazing marketing spin.

Ping following Nike in Geometry?! Please. Karsten Solheim is the FATHER of modern golf club geometry, as far as I, and most of the industry are concerned. His cavity backed putters increased MOI from the blades that pre-dated them, just as his cavity backed irons did the same, all years before Nike was even a shoes compant and DECADES before Nike was ever into golf, and nearly half a century (!) before Nike was into clubs.

Nearly 20 years ago I had the honor of working with Minoru Yoneyama and team on the Yonex ADX. We were using adanced composites to increase the head size (geometry) and yes, MOI, of what we called "wide body" drivers, FW woods and even irons. The drivers even had scolloped crowns (before Cobra). GD didn't even know how to compare these radical new head sizes and I suggested volumetric displacement, in cc units, like car engine displacement - so they went with it. The multimaterial, widebody Yonex ADX irons were 15 years ahead of today's hybrids.

Even the late Ely Callaway, upon introducing his new plans for the future of his company's products, and the benefits of multimaterial designs, had the grace and humility to give great credit and homage to Mr. Yoneyama and his innovations. Today's FT-3 driver and tomorrow square Callaway driver all benefit from the innovations that preceded them, and the new discoveries layered on top of them, which are very, very significant.

Those of us lucky enough to work in or be around this industry as long as we have would certainly appreciate an accurate portrayal of who has been pioneering what technologies.

O.K. Here's my thought.....

We all know Tiger has not hit the SQ as well as he did the Ignite (Let's not even count the whole swing change thing). If you are Nike and you know that what Tiger plays everyone wants and you've just seen the HiBore sales plumite with Vijay going to back to his launcher. Why would anyone think that Tiger has not been fully involved in the testing and design in the new driver? And, why would Nike want to build a new driver that Tiger would not play?

Can you imagine when Tiger switches to this new driver and if his driving numbers improve, Nike won't be able to keep this on our shelfs!!

Anyway, I'll judge it when I hit it, It's hard to get a feel for a club from a picture (although, there are some people on here that can do it!!)

Thanks for the pics, Great Site!!

There are to many pages for me to look if there was a review yet so here is mine..

I hit the Sumo (square and not square) today at the PGA Fall Expo.

The non sq head looks like a SQ and i didnt see a big difference. The square head on the other hand was unlike anything i have ever seen. Ugly? Yes. But the ball jumped iff the face. We were hitting balls about 20 yards into a net but the club felt great. For some reason in the middle of the day they put them away and stopped showing them not sure why. The rep told me the release dat is Febuary 1 and i must say i am very inetrested. I should have taken pictures but didnt think about it ill see what i can get tommorow.