GolfWRX First Looks of the Nike Sumo Squared!

Gxgolfer

OH MAN AM I IMPRESSED.....That has got to be the coolest looking driver ever.....You can tell theres some engineering involved in that thing and as an engineer I gotta appreciate that!

I have been wanting to pick up a normal SQ to shaft up with a 757 to compete against my SQ tour/diamana but now I will wait for this. It is way more pleasing to the eye then the normal SQ.

Cant wait to hit it at the PGA show in jan.!!!

GO NIKE.....

Cobra F9 TL 10.5 Atmos Black 7x
Cobra F8+ 3/4 &/or 5/6 Tour Blue 85x
Cobra F8 2H Element EarthX &/or Cobra F9 4H PX6.5
Ping I210 5-PW LZ 6.0
Ping Stealth 2.0 50/54/58 LZ 6.0

Some form of a Scotty, Betti, Spider

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think history is going to prove itself once again.

I'm just old enough to remeber the first TaylorMade Metal drivers. Everybody said they looked terrible and metal drivers would never last. Comments like 'who would want to play a metal driver?' were common. The very idea seemed ludicrous.

I'd be willing to bet Karsten had the same problem with his initial putter designs. It makes a funny sound or this doesn't look anything like a blade putter.

Remember when Titleist stopped making wound golf balls, people thought the world was coming to an end. They must have sold out and now we'll have to play with rocks.

Just a few examples. I'm not saying this is a sure 'winner' like those above, but it looks like it may have some potential. Sure its radically different and that is a good thing. It's great to see companies thinking outside of the box, it's only to our benefit . Lets see how it works before bashing it into oblivion.

That thing is AWESOME! I like traditional club heads but after trying a SQ this year and feeling how smooth they swing and how well they hit I had to buy one, I'm sure this one will be the same and I will have one in my bag when they come out.

PXG Black Ops Swing Balance Yellow
Ping G430 LST 3w Ventus Red 8X

Ping G430 Max 7w Ventus Red 8X

PXG 0317T 4-P, SteelFiber PR

Ping i159 50*, 54*, 58*

L.A.B. DF2.1 Stability Tour

I've owned an SQ for 10 months and tend to see the black shape at address - I'm sure it will be the same with this one - with a driver, I only care if it works - at least, the black shape looks somewhat traditional.

I'm sure that I'll be one of the first to demo and buy if it looks promising on the LM.

The rest of my clubs are traditional - but in the driver, whatever is straight and long is in the bag.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

this spring when i was looking for a new driver i tested all the new ones except the HiBore. when asked why by anoter guy at the range i replied that i didn't like the way it looked. his reply was to just try it anyway, and deal with the looks. well i did go and try out the demo HiBore. that was June.

today it is September 8th, and the HiBore driver has been in my bag since. i love hitting with it, and the looks are growing on me.

so as far as this driver is concerned my opinion is this: wait to see how it hits first.

just my 2 cents worth.

That is going to be the typical response. I have not heard anyone say on first look, "Man that's a pretty driver." That is why I'm saying its going to have to be a good story. The hibore went through the same process. You may or may not like the look but, it will work for some and I'm really curious about the story.

No offense GX, but no amount of technology or marketing hype can make me think that looks appealing to the eye. There is a ton of cool technology in a Prius, but I would not drive one.

I am waiting for the first reviews of this driver adding 15-20 yards EASILY to everyone's game...

Very true GX. I do fall in the group of "well, let's see how it performs..." it just seems you can't tell someone to hold onto their opinion if you are not giving out all the information. I am not referring to you, I think I mean Nike more. Obviously, you have a some pretty good connections, you seem to be around for a lot of earyl release stuff/events and all. Now if the Nike folks are telling people, sure it looks strange, but just wait, then too bad. It does look bad. You want to change my opinion, fine, but that looks odd enough to me, I can not allow anyone a hall pass on how displeasing it is to one's eye.

I think you shouldn't need to hear "THE STORY". Results are results. Marketing hype simply makes the average golfer have more confidence in themselves when they hold the club. If anything, I would think Nike would want this magical Story about how super the technology is out BEFORE the club itself. That way, golfers would be salivating to get their hands on this revolutionary technology and would be so amped up for it, they would not second guess the design...

that's officially my .03

It may be ugly, but its got the power of geometry...squared, whatever that means.

The stupidity of that slogan makes me not want to try it. I wish I could use geometry to make my car go, I'm sick of paying for gasoline.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Srixon ZX Utility 3i 20*, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

I've talked with easyy about this. The golf industry is mirroring the car industry. The Internet is changing the way information is delivered and traditionally, pics would not ever be widely distributed before the "debut". A question, not for this thread, is how much impact does/will Internet Golf boards effect the overall club market....

That is going to be the typical response. I have not heard anyone say on first look, "Man that's a pretty driver." That is why I'm saying its going to have to be a good story. The hibore went through the same process. You may or may not like the look but, it will work for some and I'm really curious about the story.

No offense GX, but no amount of technology or marketing hype can make me think that looks appealing to the eye. There is a ton of cool technology in a Prius, but I would not drive one.

I am waiting for the first reviews of this driver adding 15-20 yards EASILY to everyone's game...

Very true GX. I do fall in the group of "well, let's see how it performs..." it just seems you can't tell someone to hold onto their opinion if you are not giving out all the information. I am not referring to you, I think I mean Nike more. Obviously, you have a some pretty good connections, you seem to be around for a lot of earyl release stuff/events and all. Now if the Nike folks are telling people, sure it looks strange, but just wait, then too bad. It does look bad. You want to change my opinion, fine, but that looks odd enough to me, I can not allow anyone a hall pass on how displeasing it is to one's eye.

I think you shouldn't need to hear "THE STORY". Results are results. Marketing hype simply makes the average golfer have more confidence in themselves when they hold the club. If anything, I would think Nike would want this magical Story about how super the technology is out BEFORE the club itself. That way, golfers would be salivating to get their hands on this revolutionary technology and would be so amped up for it, they would not second guess the design...

that's officially my .03

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

good grief, what is Nike thinking?? Tiger must have said "you have got to be kidding me...i realize you guys pay me a lot of money, but you really want me to play this thing?" His traditionalist sensibilities are being tried in the most extreme way...

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Srixon ZX5 4-AW
Titleist SM10 Raw 54*, 58*

Evnroll ER1.2 Tour Blade

Chrome Soft X Trutrack '24

Vessel Lite Lux

GX and eassy great job being the first to post the pics.

I'll put money that Tiger will be playing this club...maybe not this exact model but something very similiar....If anyone could use help keeping it in the fairway with a Driver, Tiger is one of them.

Tiger has a lot of $$ invested in Nike, I believe he has some sort of profit sharing with Nike Golf (like MJ had with his Jordan product line of shoes and clothing)...So when Nike golf Makes $$ so does Tiger.

I know tiger tends to stick to the same thing when it comes to Golf Equipment (ie Forged Blades and his Scotty) but I think the driver is one part of his bag he is willing to change.

its like a train wreck...I don't want to look at it yet I can't take my eyes off it...

Must hit...must hit...

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Ventus Black TR 6x

Titleist TSR2+ 13* Speeder 757 x

Callaway Rogue ST LS 18* LIN-Q M40X Blue

Wilson D9 4h KBS 80 

Callaway Apex 24 MB 6 to 11 iron, MMT 105 TX

Callaway Jaws 54/58/64 KBS 130

Edel EAS 1.0 custom

Wilson Staff Model Ball