GolfWRX First Looks of the Nike Sumo Squared!

Gxgolfer

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe we've reached the point at which we need to ask ourselves how much forgiveness to really play this game. True, if you're a chop, you could probably use all that you can get. But if you play this game with any kind of ability, I think that the current crop of drivers offers as much forgiveness as you will need.

I switched drivers around in the last few years and I fianlly wound up with the G5 because it was the most forgiving driver on the market. I have not regretted my decision a whit; the driver has gone from the club I dreaded to hit to one of the strongest most reliable clubs in my bag. Perhaps that's the strongest argument to keep an open mind.

So I've taken a wait and see attitude like some already have; I'm curious to see what the public's recation will be. In the past strange looking clubs have not fared well on the market place because, let's face it, you really don't want to buy anything that you find repulsive. But the advent of MOI putters has perhaps changed that facet of the market a bit; if ever there was a time in equipment history to market a club like the Sumo Square, it might be today.

I'm also interested to see the response of the USGA to this club. It might be the one that puts them back on the warpath to reign in the technology that in their eyes is ruining golf.

remove the gray powerbow and people will have less to say. the 2-tone look is the turnoff to most people...

I feel the same way. Awhile back i saw a SQ 3 wood that had refinished so there was no grey powerbow, it was all black. It looked a lot like the Ignite from address, which i liked. I think it would be better recieved if it was all black. The HiBore is an unusual but it looks somewhat traditional and non-distracting from address in my opinion. I think there would be less "it's hideous" comments and more "its unusual" comments if it wasn't two tone. I'm curious to see what it looks like from other angles.

How did this pass the USGA "Traditional in shape" rule? They should get rid of this rule altogether, because they certainly don't enforce it.

Regarding the super high MOI, it only helps with one thing; reducing club twisting from an off center shot. If the face is open or closed through impact, the shot is still crooked. If the path through impact is faulty, the shot will still be crooked. Super high MOI does help, but it has it's limits.

Doesn't do much to/for me either way. I am intrigued in that these kind of product launches create so much fodder for discussion forums. Perhaps it's a plot by the industry to have us do the initial advertising for them. Or not. If you want to sell the latest and greatest you better have something new and I'd call this reasonably new. I play anything that makes it easier to put the ball in the hole. I'll not ignore this just because it resembles a kitchen gadget/appliance, in fact because of that resemblance I'll probably have to hit it because I've often wondered how far I could hit a toaster oven.

This Driver is as Ugly as any driver ever made...Looks do not indicate performance(Hi-Bore). This driver is very long and straight and performs much better than the SQ or SQ Sumo. The Idea is that MOI is increased by moving the Weight to the Corners of the Driver. MOI is the Trend in Golf and this Driver has a ridiculously high MOI. MOI=Stability=Forgiveness=Longer and Straighter Shots.

The SQ Sumo has a Lower and Deeper CG because the Power Bow is lower than the original SQ. This driver is more traditional looking.

I think poeple will be surprised at the performance of these products, The Fort Worth Guys know what they are doing and this product will be a huge surprise to people who doubt the performance and playability of this product. Golf Digest in the November Issue talks about MOI and the USGA proposed Limit. They specifically say...Composite and Moveable weights do not affect ball flight and trajectory like changing the Geometry of the club itself. That is why we have the Hi-Bore and the G5 Hybrid becuase by changing the shape of the club you can positively effect ball flight and performance. These are 2 great companies and they have decided that Geometry is the way to go not moveable weights. Cobra is also going to the MOI story on products due to the performance benefits of increased MOI from Drivers to Putters.

Nikeguy - in all due respect, I think you are misquoting GD mag, as to the benefits of geometry over materials (like composite) and movable weights (such as r7's MWT). Geometry can be used to produce a large MOI as in the SUMO. And carbon crowns can be used to lower the CG or reposition "performance mass" or discretionary weight as with clubs like the FT-3 (and new square Callaway - the FT-4?). Customizable weight is used for both redistribution of mass, and also for custom fitting, and altering ball flight POST MANUFACTURE.

Fixed geometry changes cannot offer any of the fitting / optimization benefits provided by movable weights. Note the USGA limits on MOI specifically restrict the MOI INCLUDING all possible weight configurations, due to the fact that otherwise, moving large moveable weights to the outside corners from other positions could potentially increase the MOI PAST the limit. So IMO, the ultimate driver would incorporate all these technologies: max COR, Max volume, square geometry, advanced materials, AND customizable CG for ultimate performance, fitting and optimization for each and eery one of us.

Just finished meeting with my Nike Sales Rep earlier today for Spring orders and hit the new Sumos. I never liked the 06 Sasquatch (couldn't get comfortable with the set up position).

The new Sumo (traditional version) is similar to the 06 with a longer face to back measurement. The pronounced silver "ring" of 06 is now lower and more scooped (ala Hi-Bore). Felt OK, good ball flight, nothing great - nothing bad.

The Sumo (square version) was pretty amazing. It was incredibley ugly and incredibly loud. Launch angle and ball flight were great. As the Sales Rep informed me, it goes dead straight. It was very hard to move either way. After a few shots of getting over the looks and sound it was a pleasure to hit. Whether people will get over the looks is a different story.

The Sales Rep informed me that they were hoping for a 2/3 to 1/3 split in sales (trad vs square).

In addition - wedges looked great, new putter were good also.

How did this pass the USGA "Traditional in shape" rule? They should get rid of this rule altogether, because they certainly don't enforce it.

Regarding the super high MOI, it only helps with one thing; reducing club twisting from an off center shot. If the face is open or closed through impact, the shot is still crooked. If the path through impact is faulty, the shot will still be crooked. Super high MOI does help, but it has it's limits.

Like "emmeline" said...this product is amazing regardless of looks. This guys who did not like the SQ or SQ Sumo thought the UGLY driver performed very well and "was a pleasure to hit". My prediction is that this driver will win the Golf Digest Driver Award unless someone can come out with a driver with Higher MOI. The Amazing Performance of this product will outweigh the negative reaction to the looks and shape of the club. THIS BABY IS A CANNON.. :idhitit:

This Driver is as Ugly as any driver ever made...Looks do not indicate performance(Hi-Bore). This driver is very long and straight and performs much better than the SQ or SQ Sumo. The Idea is that MOI is increased by moving the Weight to the Corners of the Driver. MOI is the Trend in Golf and this Driver has a ridiculously high MOI. MOI=Stability=Forgiveness=Longer and Straighter Shots.

The SQ Sumo has a Lower and Deeper CG because the Power Bow is lower than the original SQ. This driver is more traditional looking.

I think poeple will be surprised at the performance of these products, The Fort Worth Guys know what they are doing and this product will be a huge surprise to people who doubt the performance and playability of this product. Golf Digest in the November Issue talks about MOI and the USGA proposed Limit. They specifically say...Composite and Moveable weights do not affect ball flight and trajectory like changing the Geometry of the club itself. That is why we have the Hi-Bore and the G5 Hybrid becuase by changing the shape of the club you can positively effect ball flight and performance. These are 2 great companies and they have decided that Geometry is the way to go not moveable weights. Cobra is also going to the MOI story on products due to the performance benefits of increased MOI from Drivers to Putters.

Nikeguy - in all due respect, I think you are misquoting GD mag, as to the benefits of geometry over materials (like composite) and movable weights (such as r7's MWT). Geometry can be used to produce a large MOI as in the SUMO. And carbon crowns can be used to lower the CG or reposition "performance mass" or discretionary weight as with clubs like the FT-3 (and new square Callaway - the FT-4?). Customizable weight is used for both redistribution of mass, and also for custom fitting, and altering ball flight POST MANUFACTURE.

Fixed geometry changes cannot offer any of the fitting / optimization benefits provided by movable weights. Note the USGA limits on MOI specifically restrict the MOI INCLUDING all possible weight configurations, due to the fact that otherwise, moving large moveable weights to the outside corners from other positions could potentially increase the MOI PAST the limit. So IMO, the ultimate driver would incorporate all these technologies: max COR, Max volume, square geometry, advanced materials, AND customizable CG for ultimate performance, fitting and optimization for each and eery one of us.

Extrastiff- No Disrespect taken.I was specifically quoting the November Issue of Golf Digest 2005 regarding MOI and the ruling that was pending at the time. please research this article because it set the stage for this trend due to SQ unusual MOI. SQ is specifically mentioned as being at the former limit of 5000 g/cm2. They are the ones who wrote the article not me. Plus MOI is increased through Geometry more than Materials as evidenced by the SQ line of products that all have significantly higher MOI than anyone even Callaway FT-3. The 4 Highest MOI Drivers in Golf are Nike Products and the SQ line is way beyond the R7 line or the Callaway line of products that chose the Material Route while Nike went the direction of Geometry. I am not saying that the other drivers are not great drivers but Just based on what you are saying about weight configurations and this limitation all that is left to achieve a High MOI (5250) is to change the Geometry of the Club. This is obviously legal because the SUMO SQUARED driver is being released in Feb 2007. I am so surprised that People are so Set on the FT-4 Square Driver coming out next year when no one has seen anything except conceptual drawings. Like I said on previous posts I hope they do come out with a Square Driver.

Just my 02cents :idhitit: :diablo:

NEITHER OF THE ABOVE. THE REAL THING LOOKS LIKE THAT. MAYBE THEY PUT VASELINE ON THE LENS LIKE THEY DO FOR AGING TV STARS

hit the caps lock key would you....thanks.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

Extrastiff- No Disrespect taken.I was specifically quoting the November Issue of Golf Digest 2005 regarding MOI and the ruling that was pending at the time. please research this article because it set the stage for this trend due to SQ unusual MOI. SQ is specifically mentioned as being at the former limit of 5000 g/cm2. They are the ones who wrote the article not me. Plus MOI is increased through Geometry more than Materials as evidenced by the SQ line of products that all have significantly higher MOI than anyone even Callaway FT-3. The 4 Highest MOI Drivers in Golf are Nike Products and the SQ line is way beyond the R7 line or the Callaway line of products that chose the Material Route while Nike went the direction of Geometry.

I am not saying that the other drivers are not great drivers but Just based on what you are saying about weight configurations and this limitation all that is left to achieve a High MOI (5250) is to change the Geometry of the Club. This is obviously legal because the SUMO SQUARED driver is being released in Feb 2007. I am so surprised that People are so Set on the FT-4 Square Driver coming out next year when no one has seen anything except conceptual drawings. Like I said on previous posts I hope they do come out with a Square Driver.

Just my 02cents :idhitit: :diablo:

Nikeguy, thanks. FYI, there have been pictures posted in other threads on this site showing Callaway patents, a I think you would admit beyond just "conceptual drawings." There have also been comments posted by others regarding people testing square Callaway prototypes. To my knowledge, the Callaway blog info predated the Nike Sumo blog info. Yet Nike beat Callaway to the market via their introduction to reps and top accounts, and to this site and some others. They clearly get the viral marketing methods and are no doubt monitoring this site, especially keen to hear what everyone thinks about these new radical looking drivers with higher performance paired against what many consider ugly looks.

With more due respect to your enthusiastic repeating the NKE salesman marketing pitch, cheerleading SUMO MOI numbers and comparisons to the other industry players, you have to admit you are currently comparing their new 2007 product against 2006 competitors' numbers.

I for one will hold my opinion as to who is best in MOI, looks, playability and performance package (including validating success on Tour) when I see the other Mfr's 2007 products and the new season with these products really starts to unfold.

I personally still want optimization and user adjustability for my game, as to most of my friends, players, clubbuilders and fitters that I know.

I see there are more players currently using weight adjustable technology and multimaterial weighting on tour than pure geometry only technologies. Nike is leading the driver wins on tour this year, thanks to TW especially, and their growing staff. I do think there are actually more r7 wins for non-staff players. IMO, that is a powerful endorsement of customizable CG technology (players endorsing other products but winning with a competitor's).

As others have said, all this new technology is being maximized under the USGA's desire to reign it in. We as the consumers do benefit from these technological advances.

*XS*

I find it fascinating that Nike keep screaming in our faces about how big a difference MOI makes and that their clubs have the highest MOI available, which, you would believe makes them easy to hit and accurate, right!? well if that's the case then how come the BEST player in the world can't find a fairway with all the SQ models??

I find it fascinating that Nike keep screaming in our faces about how big a difference MOI makes and that their clubs have the highest MOI available, which, you would believe makes them easy to hit and accurate, right!? well if that's the case then how come the BEST player in the world can't find a fairway with all the SQ models??

I really hope this statement is in jest............

nikemike, all i mean is why don't nike just make a club that doesn't cause controversy. obviously they are trying to make the best products and in creating a square driver they gain huge publicity, but, i really thought nike were on to something when they launched the ignite. it was a nice looking club and it hit the ball miles. i just don't get why it has to be square. alot of golfers will be put off of buying what will probably be a fundamentally sound driver just because of its looks.

high moi resist twisting on off center hits, but if your swing is off or you are blocking it (which tiger fights) then there isn't much you can do about that. i fight a an out to in swing and can put a mean slice on a sq.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

I really hope this statement is in jest............

why... couldn't hit fairway with ignite either...MOI is not going to help Tiger.. MOI wont help me neither.. MOI is just the lastest and greatest catchword.

MOI helping Tiger is liking saying why doesn't he use cavity backs...

As others have said, wait till you see Callaways and TMs new drivers. Square is going to be the next wave. If you've been following the other Square driver thread, you can see where its being said that pear shaped drivers are limited in design for forgiveness potential...

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk