2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Courses Charging a 5 year old to play???

pianoman0123

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a related note, I never understood why some courses charge $10+ bucks for a friend that doesn't play to just ride along. In one case it was a friend that was going to caddy for me in an upcoming event and we were studying the course. I'm sure a handful of people on here have dealt with the same when wife/girlfriend wants to tag along and see you play. It costs the course nothing to let someone just ride along.

But I'd agree, if you're good enough to play 18, a junior rate makes sense. If you're 5 and just going to take a few swings on a few holes, absolutely no reason to charge.

[quote name='tmfool ' timestamp='1311884990' post='3432194']
couple things...

some might say 5yr olds dont belong @ certain golf courses.
charging $30 may just be another way of communicating the same message.

why not shop around and find a "kid-friendly" golf course?
plenty of executive (par3 courses) that cater to juniors & beginners.
pick a place thats appropriate for your son - not yourself.

btw, i have 11 & 14yr old golfers in the family and take them on the course when its appropriate -- relative to time of day & courtesy to others.
[/quote]

I'm not sure if you're suggesting I don't take 'em on the course "when it's appropriate" but the courses around here are rarely packed... especially in the heat of July... there are also NO "kid friendly golf courses" around here... if you would read my post above I said that I even tried to get him on a course that's a RANCH WITH HOLES because he didn't know the difference... so don't insinuate things about me that you don't know please... I was simply asking if charging a youngster these days was in the norm as I grew up in the golf business and it CERTAINLY wasn't in the norm... if it is it is, I WILL pay... but as long as the nicest course in the area doesn't mind him playing with me there, then I guess I won't be playing these other courses with him...

[quote name='hawaiicy' timestamp='1311889649' post='3432409']
On a related note, I never understood why some courses charge $10+ bucks for a friend that doesn't play to just ride along. In one case it was a friend that was going to caddy for me in an upcoming event and we were studying the course. I'm sure a handful of people on here have dealt with the same when wife/girlfriend wants to tag along and see you play. It costs the course nothing to let someone just ride along.

But I'd agree, if you're good enough to play 18, a junior rate makes sense. If you're 5 and just going to take a few swings on a few holes, absolutely no reason to charge.
[/quote]

I think this is dumb too but some courses figure if you were playing by yourself they could pair you up with another single and then that is one less cart that needs to be used.

When I take my little sister out (7 yrs old) I don't even ask to pay for her. She enjoys riding in the cart more than anything (no way I would make her walk) and hits one ball from the tee (like 30 yds) and chases a ball around while putting when I get to the green. Its ridiculous to charge for anyone that age, unless you're trying to play saturday or sunday morning or something, and clearly taking a spot from someone who would be a paying customer,

I guess I haven't checked my local courses as I don't have a kid. But I remember growing up, especially when I was under 10, courses used to love having me there which meant I always played for free, I remember a couple of times even the pro coming and talking to me, or playing a couple holes with me, etc. That was what started my love affair with this game in the first place!

1st of all the golf shop attendant doesn't make the rates, so don't hassle them or try to beat up on them for a better price because you're too cheap to pay for your child to play. Always ask for a manager or golf professional. Here's what I don't understand. You say the child should be free to play golf, right? So, do you complain when they charge you for a bucket of balls for your 5 year old, too? You know, it's good for growing the game and all. I can GUARANTEE you that you don't ask them for free range balls because your kid is only 5. Because you do know that they will laugh at you.

A main reason for charging everyone who goes on the facility is Liability issues. Not only does everyone on the facility have to pay to be on there (hence the ride along fee) but OF COURSE THEY HAVE TO PAY TO PLAY! Kids under the age of 12 free? C'mon people you must be nuts. It's good for the game? You know what's good for the game, people paying to play golf so that there are golf courses in the future. I don't understand how or why everyone thinks golf should be free. Who cares if the kids is 5 years old. I've seen some 5 year olds hit the ball about 100 yards and shoot much better scores than most people (played from the appropriate yardage). Good for the game... unbelievable...

They should have charged you at least $20. You'd have paid a lot more for 4+ hours of babysitting.

Look at it from the business owner's standpoint. Your child occupying a position in the foursome and on the cart means they can't sell that space to an adult.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

I think there is an absolute difference in attempting to bring your child to the golf course at peak hours vs. say 1600 on a Tuesday afternoon. There is also a difference if your child is there to shoot a score or just to chip, putt, and ride in the cart with their father. It just seems that if a golf course tried to charge a child full rate in reference to my second example it would be like cutting off your nose to spite your face. For example, I have a friend I play golf with a couple times a week but his father plays like five times a week. My friend and I play a particular course often and everytime I mention to his father we played there he goes into a diatribe about how twenty years ago that course attempted to charge him full rate for my friend when he was six. He along with no one in his regular foursome ever played there again because of it. Now whether you agree with his position or not is debatable, but what is not debatable is that because of this course's policy they lost several thousand dollars in revenue in lost greens fees.

[quote name='stage1350' timestamp='1311927846' post='3433354']
They should have charged you at least $20. You'd have paid a lot more for 4+ hours of babysitting.

Look at it from the business owner's standpoint. Your child occupying a position in the foursome and on the cart means they can't sell that space to an adult.
[/quote]

From a "business owners" standpoint I would rather have the repeat business than a one time green fee... I owned a restaurant and I let the kids eat free with a paying adult. (as do a lot of restaurants in the area, hence the "Kids Eat Free" program online) But to each there own, as stated earlier, let's see who benefits from a "business" standpoint more from this... The courses that didn't allow him to play, or the course that does... I now work in the resort industry here in the area and my wife is a marketing director for a HUGE resort... we see over 1000 new families each week... which course do you think I will recommend to the ones who ask??? I may recommend a local course 5-10 times a week... YOU DO THE MATH... So I guess most of you guys are right, charge the kids because it's a good business decision...

And as for me seeing comments of being too cheap to pay... now that's funny right there... that's all I have to say about that...

[quote name='hawaiicy' timestamp='1311889649' post='3432409']

[/quote]

all the courses in my area , have a rule not playing you can't come no ride along or caddies ,, imo they way it should be don't need people standing around on a golf course,, and slowing people down talking...

It's a tough position to put a course in - yes they want your business and want you to be a happy, repeat customer. At the same time though, if they accommodated every non-traditional request there would come a time that it hurt them, either financially, in other guests' minds, etc. It also sets precedent that you could tell everyone "bring your kids - theyre free!!" (and based on your last post, you are in a position to do so).

I prefer the black and white pay to be on the course or don't come. No, I am not a father but I have taken advantage of courses who let my gf ride along - I always pay a cart fee for her to join, though.

Let's also not forget that you said you rarely play these courses, so how much business are they really losing? It's like the retail customer who only buys closeout items that the store barely breaks even on.

As someone else stated, running a club is a business, and they have the right to charge as much or as little as they choose or the golf community will pay. The costs today have to be astronomical when it comes to insurance, fuel, groundskeeping, water, wages, etc. The OP said he was calling to courses he didn't normally play. So, they didn't get his one time greens fees, they will survive, but he is here trashing them because he doesn't like their policies. Everywhere I take my 2 kids, I expect to pay for them. A course that doesn't charge is a great deal, but if they do, you have the option of not going there. Why the need to blast them on a forum? Its not as if they wanted to charge you, but not the parent/child behind you.

Driving ranges do not give out free buckets of balls to kids, so courses shouldn't have to waive greens fees for them either.

I have a 2yr old whom I hope in the near future will begin to take trips on to the course with me. Would I expect it to be free? No. Would it be really cool if it was? Yes. Should I expect a junior rate program? Of course! That would be fair. It also seems like a great business model to me.

I am all for the growth of the sport and the ability to introduce the sport to generations to come, but I still don't think parents should expect it to be free just because it is a child. There should however, be some sort of discounted rate available at a certain (less desirable or twilight) time slot. Perhaps, a dollar per year (up to 18) would be a nice way to charge. ( ie: $10 for a 10 yr old.).

[quote name='pianoman0123' timestamp='1311874564' post='3431677']
So my normal course was closed today for some maintenance and I wanted to take my little man out to play a few holes... however, to my dismay I called a few of the other courses in the area and they all wanted around $30 bucks for him to play... is this normal??? I know when I was living in Myrtle we used to NEVER charge a Junior under the age of 12... guess times have changed???
[/quote]

That bogus, my friend takes his 7 year old out every other week and he NEVER get's charged. If anything, people should be paying us because of all the chicks the kid brings in! :cheesy:

You can tell by some responses that some have never had juniors in golf!

I went through the whole deal with my son who is now 14 and started when he was 4. More than anything you have to use some common sense in both when and where you let your child play, and understand that in the end some golf courses are more kid friendly than others. In the last 10 years I have only had one situation with one single course that I have boycotted. One out of probably close to 100 courses, so 99% of them have been either extremely accomidating or more than reasonable in handling juniors.

Mrtyle Beach courses are my #1 pick for juniors. My son has always played for free with me there on vacation. Sometimes you may have to tee off at certain times but you can't beat it!

With my son from age 4 to age 6 he participated in junior clinics, hit balls on the range with me, practiced on the practice green, and would occasionally go out on the course with myself or his Grandpa just following along and droping a ball near the green and chipping up if nobody was behind us. This was also perfectly acceptable by our course owner. The important thing here is that my son, nor should any 4-6 year old be out there actually trying to play golf on a full size course, it goes against common sense.

From age 7 to age 9 is when he started on executive courses and short flat easy 9 hole courses. Here again common sense comes into play and we would hit those courses when they were less crowded.

By age 10 he was easily ready to handle regulation courses from forward tees and started competeing in junior events!

Every single course he played on provided junior rates that were more than reasonable. Nobody should expect thier child to play for free, but courses would be wise to provide a discounted rate to make it more inviting for a Parent to take their child. You have to do the research and plan ahead. Many nice courses give juniors a break if you tee off after 12PM. Don't show up at 10AM and be mad because they're going to charge you full price for your kid!

While I appreciate the sentiments of some on here stating that you should pay no matter what I have to wonder if that is truly what the game needs?

I see that some have taken the stance that allowing kids to play for free, or at a reduced cost isn't beneficial. That he should be happy to pay $20.00 because a babysitter will cost at least that much? Someone also posted that other sports aren't free either, and that is interesting to me.

For example, my daughter plays soccer on an OPL team. It can be somewhat costly. Uniforms, fee for her head coach, strength and agility coach, positon coach, team manager, travel, etc.. And when I say travel I don't mean just around town. They travel all over. They just got back from a trip to Northern Ireland, and will host AC Milan next year. It is very expensive.

However, I can go out and kick the soccer ball around with her, or get some friends together for a match with no cost involved. If I couldn't afford to have her on a competitive team I could still get, and keep, her interest in soccer beacuse it is easy enough to play with little to no cost.

My son plays football. Again, expensive. I can also toss the ball around with him in the backyard, or get with some friends and enjoy a friendly game anytime with no costs involved.

This holds true with all the sports my kids play with the exception of golf. There is a greater cost to play golf, and it isn't as easy just to get a few friends together and play a round.

So, a lot of families choose to play a sport, or get their kids involved in a sport, where they can enjoy a game with them anytime with little to no cost involved.

[b]apprenti23 stated: "Kids under the age of 12 free? C'mon people you must be nuts. It's good for the game? You know what's good for the game, people paying to play golf so that there are golf courses in the future. I don't understand how or why everyone thinks golf should be free."[/b]

I ask you this. What if I don't get my kid involved with golf because I don't think it's right to charge a 5 yr old to play when he may at most hit the ball 10 times then sit in the cart playing his PSP the rest of the round?
By the time he is 12 or 13 he may have no interest in golf because he plays other sports and see no point in trying to learn another sport. Especially one that will be as costly and frustrating as golf. Has your policy of making a 5 yr old pay the same as an adult payed off then? Has it helped grow the sport?

Golf is often seen as a boring sport reserved for rich people, or those too old to do anything else. Getting a kid involved, and excited about golf as early as possible is the best, and possibly only way, to grow this sport. No new blood and the sport will grow stagnant. Golf will always be around, but it won't grow without the help of our youth. Acting like the need to help our youth get involved is a burden we can't bear won't help us in any way.

We laud the charities that golf helps, but when it comes to growing the sport at home people are often dismissive. Telling someone to go to First Tee then come back when they can pay doesn't help. You can help grow this sport, and help the lives of children, yet you would rather make the extra $10.00 cart fee.

No one is asking for a free ride here. Just look at it from a different perspective. For everyone like the OP who can afford to pay if required, there are probably a dozen more who would play golf but can't afford to pay $100.00 everytime they go out. Maybe some help getting their kids involved would be a step in the right direction for all of us.?

I'm actually ashamed of the attitudes some of you display here.

[quote name='LennyTheLip' timestamp='1311945654' post='3433630']
As someone else stated, running a club is a business, and they have the right to charge as much or as little as they choose or the golf community will pay. The costs today have to be astronomical when it comes to insurance, fuel, groundskeeping, water, wages, etc. The OP said he was calling to courses he didn't normally play. So, they didn't get his one time greens fees, they will survive, but he is here trashing them because he doesn't like their policies. Everywhere I take my 2 kids, I expect to pay for them. A course that doesn't charge is a great deal, but if they do, you have the option of not going there. Why the need to blast them on a forum? Its not as if they wanted to charge you, but not the parent/child behind you.
[/quote]

I play these courses, but not regularly... and I DON'T recall TRASHING the course at all...one is a Ranch and everyone here knows it... I have been VERY careful not to call out the names of the courses or list my area for the reason of NOT trashing... so read the post carefully before commenting... AGAIN, NEVER said I didn't like their policies... just asked if it was normal!!! REALLY PEOPLE...

And to most of you who OBVIOUSLY didn't read my posts... I am NOT asking for a FREE ride, and I don't "haggle" with the pro shop... I just didn't play there... I simply asked if it was NORMAL these days as it wasn't where I grew up in Myrtle... if it is, so be it... I will pay AS MUCH AS IT TAKES for my son to play as I was never rewarded that opportunity as a child. BUT, if there is a course here that's willing to accommodate my son when they aren't busy I'm OBVIOUSLY going to go there and recommend them to the hundreds of people I talk to weekly...

And thanks DEEVIANT for providing some common sense into some of these posts... DEFINITELY not asking for a free ride if it's the norm... but given the choice between free and paid... EVERYONE on this site would take free...

[quote name='deeviant' timestamp='1311950045' post='3433819']
While I appreciate the sentiments of some on here stating that you should pay no matter what I have to wonder if that is truly what the game needs?

I see that some have taken the stance that allowing kids to play for free, or at a reduced cost isn't beneficial. That he should be happy to pay $20.00 because a babysitter will cost at least that much? Someone also posted that other sports aren't free either, and that is interesting to me.

For example, my daughter plays soccer on an OPL team. It can be somewhat costly. Uniforms, fee for her head coach, strength and agility coach, positon coach, team manager, travel, etc.. And when I say travel I don't mean just around town. They travel all over. They just got back from a trip to Northern Ireland, and will host AC Milan next year. It is very expensive.

However, I can go out and kick the soccer ball around with her, or get some friends together for a match with no cost involved. If I couldn't afford to have her on a competitive team I could still get, and keep, her interest in soccer beacuse it is easy enough to play with little to no cost.

My son plays football. Again, expensive. I can also toss the ball around with him in the backyard, or get with some friends and enjoy a friendly game anytime with no costs involved.

This holds true with all the sports my kids play with the exception of golf. There is a greater cost to play golf, and it isn't as easy just to get a few friends together and play a round.

So, a lot of families choose to play a sport, or get their kids involved in a sport, where they can enjoy a game with them anytime with little to no cost involved.

[b]apprenti23 stated: "Kids under the age of 12 free? C'mon people you must be nuts. It's good for the game? You know what's good for the game, people paying to play golf so that there are golf courses in the future. I don't understand how or why everyone thinks golf should be free."[/b]

I ask you this. What if I don't get my kid involved with golf because I don't think it's right to charge a 5 yr old to play when he may at most hit the ball 10 times then sit in the cart playing his PSP the rest of the round?
By the time he is 12 or 13 he may have no interest in golf because he plays other sports and see no point in trying to learn another sport. Especially one that will be as costly and frustrating as golf. Has your policy of making a 5 yr old pay the same as an adult payed off then? Has it helped grow the sport?

Golf is often seen as a boring sport reserved for rich people, or those too old to do anything else. Getting a kid involved, and excited about golf as early as possible is the best, and possibly only way, to grow this sport. No new blood and the sport will grow stagnant. Golf will always be around, but it won't grow without the help of our youth. Acting like the need to help our youth get involved is a burden we can't bear won't help us in any way.

We laud the charities that golf helps, but when it comes to growing the sport at home people are often dismissive. Telling someone to go to First Tee then come back when they can pay doesn't help. You can help grow this sport, and help the lives of children, yet you would rather make the extra $10.00 cart fee.

No one is asking for a free ride here. Just look at it from a different perspective. For everyone like the OP who can afford to pay if required, there are probably a dozen more who would play golf but can't afford to pay $100.00 everytime they go out. Maybe some help getting their kids involved would be a step in the right direction for all of us.?

I'm actually ashamed of the attitudes some of you display here.
[/quote]

You use soccer and football in the backyard as an example. You can just as easily get some practice balls and play with your kid in your backyard for free. If you were to takte your child to a retail sports complex, that offers indoor playing fields, that would cost you just as it would to go to certain courses with a child. I still don't get what you think entitles you to have a child play for free at a course, if thats not their policy. They course has a right to charge for a youth/child if they wish. If you don't like it or want to pay it, don't go there. End of story. No need to bash the course or others who agree with the policy.

5 year old? Our course policy is after 4:00 PM, No Charge for 12 and Under when accompanied by an adult. The only thing that we ask is that you observe the "Pick Up to Keep Up" Rule if others are on the course. :clapping:

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be a discounted rate. And I don't believe I referred to the OP as "cheap." But to expect a free ride in a cart when that is a seat that could generate revenue for another golfer is asking a bit much, don't you think?

Someone else pointed out liability. It's why a lot of courses will not let walkers accompany a group without paying a fee. That fee covers insurance.

Kids are not cheap. They cost money. Golf is not cheap either. Perhaps the question you should be asking is whether you should be taking the 5 year old on the course to "hit maybe 10 shots" if you have to pay? You've obviously already made that decision. So pick a different course. There are plenty out there.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

[quote name='LennyTheLip' timestamp='1311951682' post='3433905']
[quote name='deeviant' timestamp='1311950045' post='3433819']
see above for my post. A little long to repost.
[/quote]

You use soccer and football in the backyard as an example. You can just as easily get some practice balls and play with your kid in your backyard for free. If you were to takte your child to a retail sports complex, that offers indoor playing fields, that would cost you just as it would to go to certain courses with a child. I still don't get what you think entitles you to have a child play for free at a course, if thats not their policy. [b]They course has a right to charge for a youth/child if they wish. If you don't like it or want to pay it, don't go there. End of story. No need to bash the course or others who agree with the policy.
[/quote][/b]

If you look at my example you'll see that I said I could [i]practice[/i] with my kids in the yard. I can also take them to a local field to play a match or game at any time.
Indoor sports facility?? We only have one of those around here and that is Soccer City. The type of game they play isn't something that is good practice for a person that plays competitive soccer. Indoor, short and narrow field, turf, and different rules isn't good practice. I don't know where your located but here our girls practice outside in any type of weather with the only exception being lightning.

We have dozens of fields that we can go to play that don't charge. Of course soccer in this area is growing, and the availability is one of the reasons.

Football as well. I can practice in the backyard with my son, but if I want to play a game I can go to one of several fields and play at no charge.

There is a big difference in practicing in the yard with a few balls and actually going to the course and playing. Which do you think is truly going to keep the kid interested? Which scenario is going to prompt the parent to lay down some cash for equipment? Especially knowing the best they could hope for is to practice in the yard.

Entitled?? Who said anything about being entitled? I simply stated that for the good of the game it would help to get kids involved in any way possible. You seem to have selective reading or comprehension issues.

I also never said they should play for free. Just make it affordable enough that families can get their kids involved. As I was looking at this earlier this morning they happened to be interviewing a gentleman from Billy Casper golf who was emphasising all they do to get kids to play. During the program thay also mentioned that at all their courses children age 5 - 12 play free with a paying adult. So, it's obvious to me that more thazn just a couple of guys on a forum see the need here.

[b]You seem to be missing the point in my post. At no point did I ever say that every child should be allowed to walk on for free. Neither did the OP.[/b] You and a couple of others have misconstrued the posts being made. I don't know for what reason though?

As for the last part of your statement. I feel that is part of the problem. That really isn't the best attitude to have. [b]Don't like it? Don't play![/b] Does that really help grow the game? That right there is my only desire, as well as the point of my post.
I really like golf. I like having a multitude of courses to choose from. I love that golf is something I can do well into my golden years. None of that is possible though if we make it harder for todays youth to have access to the course. As the children age the need for those courses will wane making those available more expensive. I guess then we can all get on Golfwrx and complain about how expensive the courses have gotten. How much harder it is to get on anywhere since a lot of the courses have closed down. How much slower the game is now that most courses have closed. How much better it would be if more people would just try golf.... Or we could do something about that now....

I don't think I'm bashing others either. Simply stating my opinion as you are. It just differs. No biggie. You state why you feel a certain way, I state how I feel. Bashing? No. Just conversation. Maybe I state my opinion too strongly? No offense is meant though.

I hate courses like that. Jeez half the time if I go out late enough in the eveing to my local course they will tell me " On the house ". I guess it is the fact that I am a regular and they know I wont even get nine holes in and will likely be out spending money the next day. This has happened on a few occasions when I discover something in my swing and just cant wait to try it out on the couse(I freely admit this is obsessive lol). Honestly, how many holes would a five year old play before he/you got bored anyway? 2 or 3 tops Im guessing.

Poor business practice in my opinion. Promoting a good family environment is always good for business and inversly being family unfriendly.....

[quote name='rbrb' timestamp='1311971521' post='3434321']
Maybe we should have another government program pay for kids, because, after all, it's for the children.
[/quote]

Thats just it. It isn't all about the children. It's about golf, and whether we want the children today to help keep the sport going in the future. No interest or desire to play equals no golf for us when we get older. You know, kind of like how the children of past years are paying for all these social security, and medicare benefits that people complain so much about today. Something like that, only without the ponzi scheme.