2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Courses Charging a 5 year old to play???

pianoman0123

[quote name='Alexxx' timestamp='1312146139' post='3439331']
So let me get this straight you are upset because you have to pay for a kid to play golf? Yes $30 junior rate is a little high depending on where you live and play but you need to think about what you are saying before you complain.

1) Slow play - course loses money if players behind you are forced to play slow and don't return due to bad taste

2) Kids are nothing but a liability on a golf course, you can turn your eye for one second and a cart can be in a lake

3) If you go to McDonalds do you get a free happy meal because your son is 5-6 years old? No.

4) There is no difference if he hits balls in your back yard or even a park at that age, putting will be more rewarding anyways at that age.

5) Money, Money, Money, people don't open golf courses for fun, you do it take make money.

6) Golf is not cheap, never has and never will be.
[/quote]

LOL,,,You really sound like a grumpy old man! I bet you really hate it when good junior players light you up on the course! I know your type!

[i]1) Slow play - course loses money if players behind you are forced to play slow and don't return due to bad taste
[/i][b]LOL- Really,,,because I've spent more long drawn out rounds behind Seniors and Adult beginners than I ever have behind Juniors!

[/b][i]2) Kids are nothing but a liability on a golf course, you can turn your eye for one second and a cart can be in a lake
[/i][b]This one really cracks me up! Do you boil children in a big black pot? The type of parents that would leave their 5-10 year old children unattended on the golf course, are not the type of parents that would play golf to begin with,,,but they probably have a crack habit! This comment was completely ignorant!

[/b]3) If you go to McDonalds do you get a free happy meal because your son is 5-6 years old? No.
[b]Duh,,,Have you never had to buy a Happy Meal for a neice or nephew? Guess what duffus, they come with a FREE TOY inside to make the kids want to come back! You really shot yourself in the foot there Homer Simpson,,,lol!

[/b]I could keep smoking you on the others but I'm sure you won't get it anyways! I'm just glad your not in charge of the R&A, or USGA with your attitude against juniors!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that the places have to make money, but lets think about it.

If the guy can't bring his young kid to knock it around for a few holes, then he won't come. Make it inviting without being a ******.

My club lets kids play free under like 15 I think, if they are playing with an adult. Infact, they'll do it up to 3 kids even. If they ride, it's only $5 cart fee.

So a guy could bring out his two kids, 12 and 15, and walk.. And it's free for them.

After 1pm on the weekends, it's the same deal.

They can recoup some cart costs, and no one feels taken.

Business and the game won't grow without the younger generation, and the older guys aren't going to play a ton if they can't enjoy it with their young kids.

So let me get this straight you are upset because you have to pay for a kid to play golf? Yes $30 junior rate is a little high depending on where you live and play but you need to think about what you are saying before you complain.

1) Slow play - course loses money if players behind you are forced to play slow and don't return due to bad taste

2) Kids are nothing but a liability on a golf course, you can turn your eye for one second and a cart can be in a lake

3) If you go to McDonalds do you get a free happy meal because your son is 5-6 years old? No.

4) There is no difference if he hits balls in your back yard or even a park at that age, putting will be more rewarding anyways at that age.

5) Money, Money, Money, people don't open golf courses for fun, you do it take make money.

[/quote]

Every point here is spot on. I don't like the idea of kids on courses until they are at least 12-14. That's certainly the way it was for me. I spent years on a driving range before I was ever allowed on a course. Now a days however I see young children all the time on the course, running around, acting like fools. If not an age limit, make it a time window where they can and cannot play. This way people could avoid that whole circus entirely.
I know, I know, everyone here that takes their kids are ideal parents and this never happens with them.

Golf courses are NOT like restaurants. There isn't any incentive for golf courses to provide free service to kids under a certain age.

Of course, I think courses should charge a reduced rate for kids in the interests of developing future players of the game and keeping it alive in the USA, but ultimately it's a business decision that I can respect.

[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1312201770' post='3441268']

[/quote]

Every point here is spot on. I don't like the idea of kids on courses until they are at least 12-14. That's certainly the way it was for me. I spent years on a driving range before I was ever allowed on a course. Now a days however I see young children all the time on the course, running around, acting like fools. If not an age limit, make it a time window where they can and cannot play. This way people could avoid that whole circus entirely.
I know, I know, everyone here that takes their kids are ideal parents and this never happens with them.
[/quote]

You could make the same argument for not allowing high handicappers or selling beer on the golf course, and we know that isn't going to happen.

[quote name='Ed Rooney' timestamp='1312205435' post='3441442']

[/quote]

[/quote]

You could make the same argument for not allowing high handicappers or selling beer on the golf course, and we know that isn't going to happen.
[/quote]

And I would. I would love to go to a smoke free alcohol free course. See when i go to a golf course, I'm going to play golf. Not to get drunk, not to see little kids running in every direction or leaving bubble gum in the holes (happened last week and the father was very apologetic when we caught up to him), and not to see people's trash everywhere aka cigarette butts and cigar butts.
I know, it's a crazy thought. People at a golf course who all can play and are there to do so instead of treating it like it's a county fair.

[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1312206833' post='3441512']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And I would. I would love to go to a smoke free alcohol free course. See when i go to a golf course, I'm going to play golf. Not to get drunk, not to see little kids running in every direction or leaving bubble gum in the holes (happened last week and the father was very apologetic when we caught up to him), and not to see people's trash everywhere aka cigarette butts and cigar butts.
I know, it's a crazy thought. People at a golf course who all can play and are there to do so instead of treating it like it's a county fair.
[/quote]

I'm sure you'd have a wonderful time for the 3 weeks before they went out of business.

Kids eat for free, or nearly free, at many restaurants. That's how they attract the adults in to eat and grow their clientele. I know I'm at Buffalo Wild Wings every Weds night because my kids can eat for 99 cents and I love me some wings and 24 oz. Guinness.

My golf course gets my business every weekend because I can take my 6 YO son for free. If not, we wouldn't be there as often. The par-3 course nearby is more expensive when you factor in both our greens fees vs just my greens fees at the big course. He's been out 6 times in the last 2 months, hasn't damaged anything or been in the way of anyone. He knows some basic etiquette, probably more than some of the adult patrons.

For those of you who haven't done it, taking your child to play golf on a proper course is a great experience

Love the dollar per year idea during non peak times. Id still charge a cart fee during peak times but have the junior freindly times posted and availabe. Its important to give access but not at the expense of the course flow or peak dollar spots ya know? Its a business but there are such things as poor business decisions and not catering to parents trying to share golf with thier children is a poor one

This is interesting as I took my 12 year old out last Friday afternoon. He's a beginner, been on a golf course only a few times and to driving range a few times. Previously when age 6-10, he'd ride along and hit a few shots. At granddad's non-crowded country club, it was a non-issue.

This is SE Texas and last Friday I played an upscale public course after 1:00 pm (twilight rate). Me plus another adult, and my 12 year old. I paid $42 with cart and told them my 12 year old would be walking with a pull cart while the 2 adults were riding. They charged me $10 for my son, which I thought was very reasonable, actually less than I expected.

I think the $1 per year of age is ideal, maybe plus $5 for a 1/2 cart. But before 10 or 11 am on Saturday or Sunday, I wouldn't have a problem if it was closer to full adult price - pace of play being the main concern.

[quote name='Ed Rooney' timestamp='1312298635' post='3444341']
[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1312206833' post='3441512']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm sure you'd have a wonderful time for the 3 weeks before they went out of business.

Kids eat for free, or nearly free, at many restaurants. That's how they attract the adults in to eat and grow their clientele. I know I'm at Buffalo Wild Wings every Weds night because my kids can eat for 99 cents and I love me some wings and 24 oz. Guinness.

My golf course gets my business every weekend because I can take my 6 YO son for free. If not, we wouldn't be there as often. The par-3 course nearby is more expensive when you factor in both our greens fees vs just my greens fees at the big course. He's been out 6 times in the last 2 months, hasn't damaged anything or been in the way of anyone. He knows some basic etiquette, probably more than some of the adult patrons.

For those of you who haven't done it, taking your child to play golf on a proper course is a great experience
[/quote]

It must be an interesting phenomenon here. Every time this subject gets brought up, everyone here has a perfectly well behaved child that causes no problems, and every course they play is deserted. Now back int he real world, EVERY time I see a 5 or 6 year old on the course they are running all over the place, leaving gum in the holes, being a nuisance, slowing play down to a crawl. Maybe it's just Detroit.

Again, I will never understand why you would take someone to a golf course, who isn't playing a round of golf. I don't typically see people letting there kids drive the car around the neighborhood, I mean it's not a highway so why not?
Thankfully, after some recent incidents, my regular course has raised the age limit to 14. Two guys were furious, the rest of us applauded and all donated extra cash as a tip for the manager who made the decision.

DarkOne, I don't know what the golf scene is like in Detroit, but in a lot of places, there are a glut of courses and many that are not jammed with 3 foursomes per hole, even on the weekends. Thus, this hypothetical poorly behaved kid running around is really not a factor when there's room out there on the golf course. It could be a regional thing. Obviously, the situation you're describing is a problem and the courses have every right to manage away from that.

[/quote]

first off WOW is all i can say, talk about bite a guys head off.....out of all the people commenting on this and arguing, how many of you have kids, i think at the age of 5 free is fine, but if they do charge it should be hugely discounted.....

and to the poster who i quoted.....

1. read the OP comments, clearly he is not holding up courses and rate of play, ive seen more old men and women hold play up more then fathers with their 5 year old kids.
2. how are kids anymore of a liability then teenagers or even normal adults? in all the years of golfing i have never seen a kid put a golf cart in a lake, i have however seen drunk adult men put carts in bunkers and lakes.
3. this arguement doesnt even make sense, how much are happy meals compared to a full price meal? exactly
4. its called the experience, doing something with your kid to get him excited.
5. non peak hours usually courses need players kids under 12 play free with a full price adult....its giving people and incentive to get on the course during times when they need all the players they can get.
6. Its very reasonable if you do it right.....very big stereo type that golf is very expensive and only rich people play

[/quote]

[/quote]

It must be an interesting phenomenon here. Every time this subject gets brought up, everyone here has a perfectly well behaved child that causes no problems, and every course they play is deserted. Now back int he real world, EVERY time I see a 5 or 6 year old on the course they are running all over the place, leaving gum in the holes, being a nuisance, slowing play down to a crawl. [b][i]Maybe it's just Detroit. [/i][/b]

Again, I will never understand why you would take someone to a golf course, who isn't playing a round of golf. I don't typically see people letting there kids drive the car around the neighborhood, I mean it's not a highway so why not?
Thankfully, after some recent incidents, my regular course has raised the age limit to 14. Two guys were furious, the rest of us applauded and all donated extra cash as a tip for the manager who made the decision.
[/quote]

It's just Detroit......and the rest of Michigan.

Titleist 915D2 9.5* Rogue Black 95MSI 60S
Callaway XHot Pro 15* Project X 6.5
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 2 Iron C-Taper X
Bridgeston J40CB 3-PW Project X 6.0
Ping Anser 54*,60* Project X 6.0
Taylormade Imola 8 35"

[/quote]

hmmm. I wonder how old Rory was when they finally let him on the golf course.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

I'm probably in the minority here and will be flamed for it, but wth are 4 and 5 year olds doing on the gc anyway?
I understand free country and all that jazz, but really? Are you mad because you want to take him at 8 am on sat when courses are at their busiest?

I don't see the problem here... if they're going to play with you, why should they be free?

I can speak from a very different perspective on this one. I am 21 i grew up playing at the local golf course just as you folks describe going with my father late in the day. they let under 13 play for free with a member of the course. I had a cousin who was 13 and his parents bought him a membership. I was about 8 at the time and started going with him. We went every day i repeat i went to the course every day as an 8 year old by myself. I can GUARANTEE that if you asked every person who ever came into contact with me on that course back then they would tell you i was no hassle and acted perfectly acceptable to be there. This is a public golf course that sometimes does 350 rounds a day most of the time we would be paired with other twosomes. The childs behavior on the course has to be taught by a adult at a young age. Golf etiquette is like riding a bike when it is taught at a young age. It is almost second nature to me like i dont even remember learning the etiquette of golf ive always just known it. I can remember when i was a bit younger literally crying when my dad would leave to go play golf and then how happy i was when he would call and my mom would drop me off later in the day. This is where my passion began with the game. I could not tell you how much money i have pumped into the gold industry as i am now a Collegiate player and have played multiple times all over the country. But without this exposure to the game at a young age i would have never been this interested.

I cannot believe those of you who feel so strongly against letting kids play for free. and say it is not good for the game. It is great for the game i can tell you personally that all my teammates got started the same way as i did and now it has created lifetime golfers. Look at it this way ya they could charge 10 bucks for a 5 year old and end up pushing them away forever. If you let them play for free for a few years then they get really interested and in the long run come back over and over paying to play. It is smart business to let them play for free. I dont know how many of you who have backgrounds or any knowledge of accounting but i look at it this way. In accounting there is a thing called Goodwill. Goodwill is when a company purchases another company for more than they are technically worth on the Books. The extra they spent is called goodwill and is added for the "Brand Power" of the company almost like its notoriety. I think letting juniors play is much like goodwill in that you are maybe not making maximum profit at the time but in the long run it will pay off for you. Its like the tortoise and the hare or slow and steady wins the race. If your profit in the short term is huge but doesnt last then you will fail whereas if you take a SMALL hit on profit now in the assumption it will pay off later you will be in the market much longer. Some of the arguments in here just boil down to greed in my opinion if you care so much about that 8-10 dollars you are gonna make off a junior that reeks of greed if you ask me. I have played hundreds of courses in my life many before i was 13 or so and had they not let me play for free it would have been many less as it would have gotten really expensive for my parents. That would have been a lot of money my dad wouldnt have spent in the golf industry and i may have never gotten interested in the game.

I know this is a long rant but this really makes me angry that people feel like it is ridiculous for courses to let kids play for free. I agree in the AM and peak times its a no-no. But for most courses after 3 it should be fine assuming everyone follows the etiquette of golf and the rules of the course.

[quote name='golfandcars' timestamp='1312315240' post='3445450']
I can speak from a very different perspective on this one. I am 21 i grew up playing at the local golf course just as you folks describe going with my father late in the day. they let under 13 play for free with a member of the course. I had a cousin who was 13 and his parents bought him a membership. I was about 8 at the time and started going with him. We went every day i repeat i went to the course every day as an 8 year old by myself. I can GUARANTEE that if you asked every person who ever came into contact with me on that course back then they would tell you i was no hassle and acted perfectly acceptable to be there. This is a public golf course that sometimes does 350 rounds a day most of the time we would be paired with other twosomes. The childs behavior on the course has to be taught by a adult at a young age. Golf etiquette is like riding a bike when it is taught at a young age. It is almost second nature to me like i dont even remember learning the etiquette of golf ive always just known it. I can remember when i was a bit younger literally crying when my dad would leave to go play golf and then how happy i was when he would call and my mom would drop me off later in the day. This is where my passion began with the game. I could not tell you how much money i have pumped into the gold industry as i am now a Collegiate player and have played multiple times all over the country. But without this exposure to the game at a young age i would have never been this interested.

I cannot believe those of you who feel so strongly against letting kids play for free. and say it is not good for the game. It is great for the game i can tell you personally that all my teammates got started the same way as i did and now it has created lifetime golfers. Look at it this way ya they could charge 10 bucks for a 5 year old and end up pushing them away forever. If you let them play for free for a few years then they get really interested and in the long run come back over and over paying to play. It is smart business to let them play for free. I dont know how many of you who have backgrounds or any knowledge of accounting but i look at it this way. In accounting there is a thing called Goodwill. Goodwill is when a company purchases another company for more than they are technically worth on the Books. The extra they spent is called goodwill and is added for the "Brand Power" of the company almost like its notoriety. I think letting juniors play is much like goodwill in that you are maybe not making maximum profit at the time but in the long run it will pay off for you. Its like the tortoise and the hare or slow and steady wins the race. If your profit in the short term is huge but doesnt last then you will fail whereas if you take a SMALL hit on profit now in the assumption it will pay off later you will be in the market much longer. Some of the arguments in here just boil down to greed in my opinion if you care so much about that 8-10 dollars you are gonna make off a junior that reeks of greed if you ask me. I have played hundreds of courses in my life many before i was 13 or so and had they not let me play for free it would have been many less as it would have gotten really expensive for my parents. That would have been a lot of money my dad wouldnt have spent in the golf industry and i may have never gotten interested in the game.

I know this is a long rant but this really makes me angry that people feel like it is ridiculous for courses to let kids play for free. I agree in the AM and peak times its a no-no. But for most courses after 3 it should be fine assuming everyone follows the etiquette of golf and the rules of the course.
[/quote]

I was trying to think of that term Goodwill back from my college days, but i couldnt agree more with what you said here great post

My buddy just started playing golf last week. He only hits it about 60 yards too. I'll let the shop know next time that the guys on GolfWRX said he should play for free.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1312304094' post='3444681']

It must be an interesting phenomenon here. Every time this subject gets brought up, everyone here has a perfectly well behaved child that causes no problems, and every course they play is deserted. Now back int he real world, EVERY time I see a 5 or 6 year old on the course they are running all over the place, leaving gum in the holes, being a nuisance, slowing play down to a crawl. Maybe it's just Detroit.

[/quote]

It's just Detroit. Have you done lead tests on the water?

Eminem and Kid Rock are from there, right? Case closed.

My course doesn't seem to have little gum chewing monkeys running around.

[b]Afternoon Golf with the Family..

Every Saturday and Sunday during the month of July bring your family to golf for only $50.

The price includes green fee, cart fee and something to eat. Your tee can be anytime after 3pm.

The $50 rate is for four golfers and there must be two juniors. After checking in stop by the cafe for your free hot dog and soda. If you have any questions contact.........

See you on the links![/b]

[quote name='Ed Rooney' timestamp='1312318273' post='3445645']

Every Saturday and Sunday during the month of July bring your family to golf for only $50.

The price includes green fee, cart fee and something to eat. Your tee can be anytime after 3pm.

The $50 rate is for four golfers and there must be two juniors. After checking in stop by the cafe for your free hot dog and soda. If you have any questions contact.........

[/quote]

Sweet deal, but what if you only have one kid?

[/quote]

I have no problem with that. It's a package deal and you are paying for something. It's possible that you are paying less than two regular adult fees, however they are also restricting you to after 3PM.

I also have no objection to the reasonable responses in this thread that suggest a discounted rate. It's the people that are expecting and demanding free that I have an issue with. Do you expect free balls when you take a junior to the range? If not, then why the course?

I'd also like to point out that a lot of the people that are talking about freebies also insinuate that they are doing this at private clubs. The CC atmosphere can do that, as dues and assessments can cover a lot of that. However, a daily fee public or a muni is a different story.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

Twilight rate for me and kid plays free every day after 2pm.

[quote name='oneunderbogey' timestamp='1312375899' post='3447246']

[/quote]

Sweet deal, but what if you only have one kid?
[/quote]

LLoydbraun hits it on the head.

I won't quote his post because it's long, but it boils down to exposure to the game, something that golf needs BADLY. I was exposed to the game in a similar fashion, then as I got older (15) started caddying. The other side is golf courses cost money, real money. There should be a happy medium, and with the economy stinking we as fathers (and mothers) can be discerning as to whom we give our money.

Family friendly? well you've got my business all year long. Not Family oriented? well then I'll be more than happy to give my money to the GC down the street, and I can assure you not a dime will be spent here anymore. But that's my choice, because right now in my area courses need golfers more than golfers need courses

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

Let's be brutally honest. These aren't MBA's running the courses. Once it's built, you open the doors and golfers show up. Some courses are full all day, so they go light on the discounts and jerk around their customers. Some need players in the afternoons, so they have family specials designed to get the fathers that don't already abandon their kids every Saturday morning in to play.

I agree in principal with you Golfandcars, and I was right with you most of the way until you said that "I have played hundreds of courses in my life many before i was 13 or so". My reasoning being that free golf for a junior (5yrs old, ex) is to get them interested in the game. There is an understanding that the kid won't play all 18 holes, won't have an adverse effect on the course, etc.

By the time you are 12 or 13 and if you have been playing since you were 5 or 8 or whatever, you likely use the course to the same extent as a newer female golfer - also an important segment of the game to grow, but little to no reduced rates.

I would like to see more courses offer "playing lessons" for juniors like my home course did. It was every Tuesday morning, alternating between the 8 and under age group and a 9-12 age group. Three pros would take a foursome out, give them tips, etc. It was something like $10 per kid per lesson. After going through a few lessons, the course can be comfortable having the kid on the course, and can implement a structure along the lines of 8 and under - free, 9-12 play at a reduced rate, and free at twilight.

[quote name='Dizz' timestamp='1312317966' post='3445627']
My buddy just started playing golf last week. He only hits it about 60 yards too. I'll let the shop know next time that the guys on GolfWRX said he should play for free.
[/quote]

Is you buddy a child under the age of 10? Does he have his own means of providing for himself? Your argument is invalid and actually quite pathetic.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

I truly believe children under 6-8-10 do not belong on a 18 hole full course. They do belong on par 3 courses and children's practice areas. Golf is not kiddie golf, it's Golf. I was reminded by this fact recently behind a family playing, with a 2-3 year old child along. First at the clubhouse I was hoping I didn't get paired with them, if they had, I would have declined. Next I am behind them waiting patiently, finally on 13 (par 5) they decided to motion me through. I never pushed, and never asked for it, but I said ok, I'll play through. I hit a great drive right down the middle. My second shot, the lady and man with kid were in a cart, again, ahead of me and to my right, and the woman was standing on my side of cart with small child in the area. I told the woman I would feel much better if she took the child to the other side of the cart. Should I have had to ask? What if I hit an errant shot and it hit a 2-3 year old in the head? A golf course can be a dangerous place, it's just no place for a small child, IMO. She obliged me and moved to the other side, never one even saying silly me, I should have thought of that, or something. I didn't feel in the wrong for saying something at all, but I really shouldn't be responsible for another person's child.

So, this is very current to me, and my opinion is firm that a child under 6-8-10 does not belong on a golf course, or in a golf cart. I'm unsure at what number they do belong, but definitely not under 6.