2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Any Younger golfers using a push cart - Clicgear 3.0 etc..

As an avid walker I have been looking into getting a Clicgear 3.0 but being under 30 feel like there is a stigma that only older golfers use them. I have the Ultralight Titleist bag I have been carrying instead of my college ping hoofer which has helped, but it just seems to be takin ga bit of a tole still on the knees and back, especially in 95+ degree heat when you're also carrying water bottles with you. I play some courses taht have a bit of terrain to them so you get a good workout walking 18 holes.

Just curious as to how many younger golfers on here have used the clicgears or sun mountains and their opinions on it vs. carrying your bag.

Thanks

B

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope and don't see anyone under 60 using one either.

If it's actual health reasons then who cares. Hard to believe at 30 your knees are already giving, unless of course there's additional strain from your line of work.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10* Ventus Blue TR

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15* Tensei Blue

Callaway Rogue ST LS 18* Tensei Blue

Ping G425 22* Tensei CK Pro Orange

Titleist T100 5-PW ProjectX LZ

Titleist SM6 50S

Callaway JAWS MD5 56W

Callaway JAWS MD5 60X

[quote name='sleuth' timestamp='1312814718' post='3461916']
Nope and don't see anyone under 60 using one either.

If it's actual health reasons then who cares. Hard to believe at 30 your knees are already giving, unless of course there's additional strain from your line of work.
[/quote]

not so much giving out...just one gets a bit sore from the hills, played D1 baseball through college as well as an avid mountain biker / hiker...got tweaked a few times throughout the years so it just gets sore. I can still walk 18 - 36 everyday just have seen these and they look pretty slick and would make walking 18 seem effortless. Like having your own caddy - without the ability to give shot advice.

I'm 24 and a former division I tennis player. I also use a clicgear 3.0 when I walk. Tennis has taken it's toll on my back and knees so the only way I can walk is through the use of a cart.

Seems like a no brainer to me. Stay fresh through the round or tire yourself out because you are afraid of some stupid stigma.

The moment I realized that golf is not a game of ego and being macho, is when my scores started to drop. This applies to all aspects of golf, not just the push cart

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

Don't have either of the specific push carts you're asking about, but I'm 28 and have used one for a few years. I don't ALWAYS take it - I'd say I do for half the rounds I play, but I really don't care what anyone thinks! My knee hurts over time because I tore it while playing baseball in high school. My back hurts because I caddied in college (and bad genes, I guess?). The push cart makes the round that much less tiring. I will carry, though if 1) I'm traveling and don't take a riding cart or 2) I'm only playing 9 on a somewhat easy course.

My Sunday foursome: a guy in his 50s, and 3 30somethings all use them - as does almost everyone at my club - even the youngins. Sunday before 10am you'll be lucky to see any motorized carts out there. I have a Clicgear 2.0, it is convenient, especially in inclement weather (attach the umbrella holder and you and your bag stay dry!) and I can still get the benefits of walking without carrying. No stigma, just smarts.

Some flavor of the month driver.
Some driving iron for Links courses.

A hybrid to save my bad shots.
Titleist blades when I feel lucky otherwise something more forgiving.
A Vokey wedge or 2.
I hate every one of my 17 putters.

I've been trying to find a course near me that is walking friendly. My home course charges nearly as much to walk as it does to ride, which is stupid, and they admitted they did it to discourage walkers.

I'l echo what others have said...don't care what anyone thinks of me pushing a cart with my bag on it, I only care what my score is.

Same deal here, I just turned 30, and I have always carried, but I am strongly considering getting a push cart. By the 15/16th hole my lats just get really tired and I can feel it when I swing late in the round. If I play a course where you have to use a cart, I don't get the same feeling in my back. You are right that water bottles are a killer. Around here though it's not uncommon, most people wonder why I carry rather than use a push cart.

I've been using first a pull cart then push carts since taking the game up in my early 30's. I much prefer to carry my bag for the convenience and lack of hassle but it just doesn't make sense most of the time.

That said, if I did not have to carry a 7-pound bottle of seed/sand divot mix I would gladly just put 8-9 clubs and a sleeve of balls in my Titleist Ultralight bag and carry about 90% of time. If that darned sand bottle that turns a bit over 10 pounds into nearly 20 and pretty much limits me to carrying when I play nine holes.

When I'm up north or in the UK and divot mix is not required, I do tend to carry about half the time and use a trolley the other half.

I got one about a year ago (I am 33) and it has been fantastic! I still occasionally carry my 4 Under when I play the muni close to home as its a very tidy 6000 yds.

The main benefit I have seen is towards the end of the round. It really helps me maintain my energy level! Additionally, it provides a nice station to hold extra towels, a drink etc. and keeps your back cooler in the heat by not having the bag against it.

Only thing is that Clickgear wheels seem a bit sluggish in heavy grass.

Go for it, you will really enjoy it!

I am 28 and have a Trekker Push cart, I have only used it a few times as I haven't played much this year and my league almost exclusively uses riding carts. I very rarely see anyone else using a push cart at my home course which isn't where I play league but I couldn't care less what people think of it. I look at it this way, it is a lot less "lazy" than riding a cart and I see plenty of teenage/early 20s people riding them so whatever. Love the fact of having a larger bag with a built in cooler pocket vs a carry bag. BTW, I carried up until this year but the doctor told me I need to decrease strain on my ankles (ie lose weight, limit impact) but still stay active due to moderate/severe arthritis.
Edit: I will say that going up steep hills I would rather have the bag on my back versus having to push the cart up the hill.

26 and have had a Clic gear for 2 years now and love it. I pack lunches and lots of water so it starts to add up. I am in great shape and my golfing buddy that's 28 just bought one too. Riding a cart is kind of lame as golf is already a sport that doesn't burn many calories but the walking helps. My new home course is power carts only though but I will still use the Clic Gear when I play other courses. I see more people using push carts then carrying now.

I am 33. This is my first year with one and I wish I would have done it sooner. I can walk 18 in the morning and not have any sore legs or back for the rest of the day. Carrying takes a toll on your body.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

[quote name='Paybax' timestamp='1312822449' post='3462382']
26 and have had a Clic gear for 2 years now and love it. I pack lunches and lots of water so it starts to add up. I am in great shape and my golfing buddy that's 28 just bought one too. Riding a cart is kind of lame as golf is already a sport that doesn't burn many calories but the walking helps. My new home course is power carts only though but I will still use the Clic Gear when I play other courses. I see more people using push carts then carrying now.
[/quote]

Given the typical 5 hours one takes to play a round of golf(including warm up), you burn nearly 3,000 calories walking and just over 1500 riding. So in reality you do burn a significant amount of calories while golfing bc of the amount of time you're out there.

Former college football player and current Air Force officer here. Bought a Sun Mountain Speed Cart when I was 26 (now 32), and have been using it ever since. Don't even want to think about what shape my back would be in if I hadn't made that investment. Easily the best $$ I've spent on golf gear.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

[quote name='mdgolfer10' timestamp='1312824008' post='3462473']
[quote name='Paybax' timestamp='1312822449' post='3462382']
[/quote]

Given the typical 5 hours one takes to play a round of golf(including warm up), you burn nearly 3,000 calories walking and just over 1500 riding. So in reality you do burn a significant amount of calories while golfing bc of the amount of time you're out there.
[/quote]

I think your numbers are off but I'd be curious to know where you're getting those from. I definitely like getting exercise in while golfing, it's a lot of the fun of it for me.

But I've always read that 18 holes walking is closer to 700-800 calories. 3,000 calories would be totally exhausting, and dividing that by two for nine (1,500...) would be equally exhausting. There'd be people passing out everywhere! I walk nine almost every morning in the summer and there's NO WAY I burn that many calories. I don't get anywhere near 1500 calories after an hour long cardio workout at the gym.

So I will respectfully disagree with your calorie counts.

I'm 26 years old and a former NCAA Division I track athlete and I have no problem saying that I love my Clic Gear 2.0 and think it was money well spent. Carts aren't just for old folks...and if they are, I guess I'm old.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13

The main reason I use one is because I like to use my big heavy staff bag in the winter. (Summertime I normally ride) Im normally trying out new clubs and it gives my extra room so Im not jamming them into a little opening. I just like the extra room for clothes and everything else that you have to stuff into a stand bag. But if you are worried about what you look like you probably wouldnt get a staff bag either.

...Ever changing

I'm 32 and all of my clubs are in stand bags, but I will happily take my ClicGear 2.0 when walking 18 if the course set-up makes it feasible. Some of these courses are difficult because of the fescue between the tee box and fairway. I can walk through the fescue with a bag on my back, but pushing a cart throw that is not fun!

Hey your playing partners may give you a hard time for the first few rounds you bring it along. Just shoot lights out and that'll shut them right up :good:

TM 2017 M1 440 10.5* Tensei Orange V2 | TM 2017 M2 Tour Issue 9.5* Oban Tour Limited 65X Proto
TM 2016 M2 DF Proto 15* Fuji Rombax P75 | TM Jetspeed Proto 15° ZCom 95
TM 2017 M2 Tour Proto 18* Fuji Rombax P75 | TM Jetspeed Proto 19° ZCom 95
Vega VM-02 Raw 3-PW Modus 120 | Vega RAF-CM Raw 3-PW Nippon SPB
Nike Engage TS 56° & 60° | Nike VR Forged 56° & 60°
Byron Morgan DH89 GS | Byron Morgan DH89 Solid Copper
Best Grips MicroPerf

Get a cart, its better to be able to play golf for the next 30+ years, instead of destroying your shoulders / back carrying clubs around the next 10 years and then quit because of backpain.

I am under 30, and where I live, it's more normal than not, to use a pushcart.

Save your energy for the game instead of spending it all carrying your stuff around.

Callaway EPIC SZ 10.5 Fujikura PRO 62
TM SLRD 3 WOOD
Callaway APEX #3 Hybrid
PING I200 KBS Tour 4-UW
SM6 56 (@55), SM6 60