2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Titleist 910 vs Callaway Razr Hawk

ThaiGolfer2

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='versabox' timestamp='1313888390' post='3505841']
One thing to keep in mind is that the Razr hawk is 46" while the D2 is 45". His also had 2* more loft, and almost all golfers (even WRXers) would do better with a higher lofted driver.

It's a case-by-case situation. I demo'ed the RHT and D3 head-to-head and got better numbers with the D3.
[/quote]

Yes the Razr Hawk is 46", but the Tour is 45.5". I too got better numbers on the launch monitor at Golfsmith with the 910 D3 vs the RHT. Both were 8.5* heads but the RHT had the stock RIP shaft and the 910 had the (imo) much better stock offering in the PX 7C3 shaft. My spin numbers were lower with the 910 by an avg of 200-300 RPM's which in turn gave me a few yards more over the RHT. I personally liked the look of the RHT better and I also liked the feel of the ball coming off the face better. That is why I opted for the PX 7.0 shaft when I ordered mine and now my spin rates are lower than the numbers I was getting with the 910 at the Golfsmith store. Both clubs are fantastic offerings and to be honest with you either of them with the right loft and shaft are as good as it gets.

PING G430 LST 9* 
Srixon 13.5* 
Adams LS 19* 
Srixon ZX7/ZX5 Nippon Tour 125s
Odyssey Backstryke blade 
PING/Cleveland 54* 58*

I have been playing a 9.5° D3 with RIP 60S, DI-6s, and Whiteboard 73X shafts for the past 6 weeks. I'm happy with the D3 in all respects except I have lost about 20-25 yards. It does not matter what shaft or setting I try, the ball just seems to drop right out of the sky. I got no ballooning of the shot shape, just reduced distance. The best combination I found was with the Di-6s and the D3 head set to 8.75°. Last weekend I put my FT Tour 10.5 with stock VooDoo VS6 back in the bag and instantly gained my 20-25 yards back.

Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/ Aldila Rouge Max 65S
Callaway BB 815 3-wood 14° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder 665X
Callaway BB 815 hybrid 18° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder 865X
Titleist T-MB 3 & 4 irons w/ DG AMT Tour Issue X100
Titleist 716 CB 5-PW w/ DG AMT Tour Issue X100
Titleist SM6 52.08 and 58.04 w/ DG AMT Tour IssueX100
SC Select Newport 35" w/ Super Stroke Pistol GT
Bushnell Tour X / Garmin G8

[quote name='cmusic' timestamp='1314036693' post='3509939']
I have been playing a 9.5° D3 with RIP 60S, DI-6s, and Whiteboard 73X shafts for the past 6 weeks. I'm happy with the D3 in all respects except I have lost about 20-25 yards. It does not matter what shaft or setting I try, the ball just seems to drop right out of the sky. I got no ballooning of the shot shape, just reduced distance. The best combination I found was with the Di-6s and the D3 head set to 8.75°. Last weekend I put my FT Tour 10.5 with stock VooDoo VS6 back in the bag and instantly gained my 20-25 yards back.
[/quote]
If your FT Tour is 10.5* and you hit it farther, why didn't you try a D3 10.5*?

915D3 8.5* Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
915F 15* Diamana B-Series 80X, 18* Grafalloy Epic T90X
716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

[quote name='Yellow Jacket' timestamp='1314045125' post='3510386']
[/quote]
If your FT Tour is 10.5* and you hit it farther, why didn't you try a D3 10.5*?
[/quote]

Well on the LM at the shop I bought the D3 at, the 9.5° with the RIP 60S was getting about the same launch angles as the 10.5° FT Tour. The shop told me their LM's distance and spin estimation was not even close to actual use, so I could not compare the two until I took them to the course. The D3 simply did not hit as far as the FT Tour for me.

I agree that the Callaway RH is longer than the 910. I was absolutley killing the callaway, but I hit it quite a bit lower and occasilnally would hit a low left hook. The 910 is probably 10-15 yards shorter for me, but the ball flight is higher and way more controlled. If you can get into a shaft that gives you control with the RH I would roll with that, it is probably one of the longest drivers I have ever hit and I have hit a bunch of different D-sticks. My 910 has the Diamana Ahina X in it now and getting ready to uprade to the Tour Ad. Both of the Rhs I hit were Rip shafts one Regular stiff and one X stiff. Hit the X longer, but even lower with swing speed around 110. Rh is super penetrating and gets tons of roll. In fact, I would hit the occasional "Turbo Nuclear" ball with that thing that would seriously surprise me sometimes even 30 and 40 yards past where I normally hit at my home track. Titleist is the way for me though as I am not super concerned with hitting it deep and I like the feel off of the face a lot better.

[/quote]
Normally this kind of post would not make me respond, since swing and club choice are subjective for sure. Why did you not try the PX in your D3? It was as good as anything I have hit the past several years...both long and straight...and great feel. I have RHT and love it...did not buy D3 because I could not find the right deal, and I have this thing about adjustable clubs...just like glued.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

[quote name='moonshine' timestamp='1314671479' post='3529006']
[/quote]
Normally this kind of post would not make me respond, since swing and club choice are subjective for sure. Why did you not try the PX in your D3? It was as good as anything I have hit the past several years...both long and straight...and great feel. I have RHT and love it...did not buy D3 because I could not find the right deal, and I have this thing about adjustable clubs...just like glued.
[/quote]

I did not try a PX because the shop I bought my 910 D3 at did not have one in stock with a PX. (I live in a rural area; the nearest Dick's sporting goods store is about 75 miles away and a well stocked golf store is over 100 miles away. The pro shop at my home course, where I bought my 910 at, only keeps a small selection of clubs to keep inventory costs down.) I also prefer shafts in the 60-65 gram range over ones in the 70 gram range for my driver. I bought the DI-6 shaft from Discount Dans, which is on the other side of the country from me.

Since my post above I have been trying different settings on the 910 with the DI-6. I bought a weight kit (another $50) and changed the 7 gram weight to a 2 gram weight to lower the swing weight down to about D1-D2. I removed the grip and added 3 wraps of tape to build up the grip to better fit my hands. I've also changed the settings from D-1 (8.75° loft, standard lie) to C-3 (10.25°loft, +.75° upright) and I've gained back about 10-15 yards and gotten a much straighter ball flight with a very slight fade at the end and good roll out. For some odd reason when I set the club to an upright setting, I get a fade, whereas the Titleist chart says I should be inducing more draw. And just as opposite, when I set the club to a flat lie, I draw the ball, whereas Titleist says I should be inducing a fade.

In any case the 910 D3 is slowly catching up to the FT Tour in driving distance. Accuracy is about the same with either club. The Titleist has a better feel than the FT Tour. I like the DI-6 stiff shaft but it still feels slightly loose. I don't think going to an x-stiff DI-6 would be a help, but maybe tipping the stiff shaft about another 1/2" might do the trick. Or I might drive over 100 miles to get to the nearest Titleist fitting cart to test other shafts. Overall I think the 910 will stay in my bag longer once I get it fully dialed in. It's odd that I am having to do so many adjustments to get the 910 to work the best for myself, where as the FT Tour was a great fit right off the rack.

After reading all the hype about the Razor Hawk, I picked one up to compare against my D2. Both are 10.5 with a Motore VC6.1 in the D2 and stock RIP in the RH. I have been playing Callaways for the last 5 years (FT-5, FT-9, FT-iZ) before switching back to Titleist, which I played for a long time before the Callaways. SS is 102 to 105 mph and HC is 8.

After a couple of range sessions, I played 18 holes where I hit 2-3 balls off each tee with both drivers for comparison. Same ball (Penta) for all drives. The RH was definitely longer than the D2 on the longest drives for each but most were within a few yards of each other. About 1 in 5 with the RH went 15 - 20 yards longer than the others but I couldn't figure out what the secret ingredient was for getting the occasional bomb. Shot shape was similar but the RH was noticeably higher trajectory. The biggest difference between the two was that the D2 was much more accurate for me. I hit approximately 30% more fairways with it and the ones I missed were not nearly as offline as the RH. Part of this could be due to the longer shaft in the RH but it is the same length as the FT-iZ (blueboard) I played with up until a few months ago so I was comfortable with the length.

In the end, the RH couldn't kick the D2 out of the bag for me. So now my brother is giving it a go with very positive early results compared to his TM burner.

[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1315260851' post='3543729']
I must be the only one that likes the 910 better. I can't hit a fairway with the Hawk.
[/quote]

I traded my RHT in for a 910 D2 and haven't looked back. The D2 might be a few yards shorter but sounds/feels way better and I hit it straighter. You are not alone.

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2