2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Losing Interest

I'm 55 and have been playing since 1971. I've long been a single digit, but could never get within a whiff of scratch.

Anyway, I don't find myself very excited about playing golf anymore. The passion seems to have left me, I no longer can't wait until the next round. I've actually made excuses to decline invites to play.

I still enjoy good health and other than minor aches and pains can play without a cart. But I am well aware at this stage of life, that can change. Knowing that, I should be enjoying the game more than ever, but I'd rather do other things.

At the club where I work, I see many players older than myself out playing all the time. Maybe they just force themselves because they don't have anything else to do. Or maybe they are having the time of their lives. Whatever the case, I admire them.

I still watch events on TV and enjoy hitting balls on the range and putting now and then. Playing is what has lost it's appeal.

I wish I could get my desire back. Has anybody else gone through a similar phase?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='scotchblade' timestamp='1320249242' post='3750541']
I'm 55 and have been playing since 1971. I've long been a single digit, but could never get within a whiff of scratch.

Anyway, I don't find myself very excited about playing golf anymore. The passion seems to have left me, I no longer can't wait until the next round. I've actually made excuses to decline invites to play.

I still enjoy good health and other than minor aches and pains can play without a cart. But I am well aware at this stage of life, that can change. Knowing that, I should be enjoying the game more than ever, but I'd rather do other things.

At the club where I work, I see many players older than myself out playing all the time. Maybe they just force themselves because they don't have anything else to do. Or maybe they are having the time of their lives. Whatever the case, I admire them.

I still watch events on TV and enjoy hitting balls on the range and putting now and then. Playing is what has lost it's appeal.

I wish I could get my desire back. Has anybody else gone through a similar phase?
[/quote]

Hey Scotch,

So you're down in San Raphael, I'm up in Santa Rosa... would you be interested in meeting up for a persimmon and blades game? Sometimes it can be invigorating to dust off the persimmons and play golf in a more traditional form. There are some great classic tracks around the Bay Area.... Mare Island, Lincoln Park, Northwood. Might be just the elixir you need.
Cheers.

Absolutely get this way at times, but mine typically occurs when I am struggling with my swing or game....it gets so frustrating that I end up hating the game or fear playing because I have no idea what will happen. I enjoy playing because I want to get better and play to my potential...in fact, I expect to play to my potential. There are times when I look at the game and wonder why I waste so much time and money when I never get any better. Not that I don't enjoy just playing the game, but I want to do better.

Usually, when I get this way, a little time off helps me. Time away helps me realize how much I enjoy the game....even when I'm not playing my best.

I've only played 4 times this year. I'm in the exact same situation, I play now to be social rather than competitive. If I don't like the company the course doesnt matter. The few times I've gone to the range, I've enjoyed it. But I find it difficult to find time to practice and play to my potential.

Maybe once my twin girls get older (they're 4 now) and I can share the game with them.

rileyj, thanks for the offer, I will visit and bookmark your webpage. I imagine an old school putter goes with those wooden heads and blades? :) That sounds like fun.

Part of this is not playing well, I still think I'm 25, but the body knows otherwise and I can feel it. The rain is coming, I'll take a break and see what happens down the road apiece.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm in the same boat, although I'm not sure if it's losing interest or just shifting priorities. I have been a high single digit hcp. for years, but went thruogh a 5 month lay-off this year after having rotator cuff and bicep tendon surgery. My game was deteriorating for many months before the surgery, and since my return to playing, my cap has risen to 12-13. I still enjoy playing, but not 3 times a week anymore, maybe once a week, sometimes less. Practice has become a thing of the past, as I can't seem to get fired up to do it. I have no competitive fire anymore, and agree with previous posters that it's all about fun and socializing now. I don't know if the old desire will ever return, but I'm kind of OK with where I'm at now.

Cobra Fly-Z driver
Cobra Speed LD 3 wood
Adams LS 3 hybrid
TM Rocketbladez 4 - AW
Ping Tour 56
TM ATV 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I think you should look at it this way. You're aware that you need to focus on something else for a while. This is absolutely normal. I'm 53 and just started getting back into golf a few years ago. Discovering Ebay renewed my interest in clubs, especially persimmon and blades, and I started buying stuff. After almost 15 years doing almost no golf at all, here I am fascinated by the game again. I only golfed 18 holes this year, however. Time, family health challenges and finances determine I spend little time on the course. I have a professional hitting mat and net in my backyard (put away for the winter - sigh!) and that's where I do most of my "golfing". I don't even know if I'll ever golf regularly again, but I do like to hit balls with my different blades and woods, and that's often fun enough. For the first time this year, I'm feeling "older". That's a weird experience. Though our youngest daughter is only 4, my wife and I suddenly became aware that people seeing the three of us might think we're the grandparents. But that's okay. Anyway, I could probably go on about me, but as I said earlier, I believe you're perfectly fine to lose interest. I wouldn't try to force playing. Take a break, see what else you're interested in. Here's my other distracting hobby.

Same thing happened to me. I worked at a club as an Asst., sold clubs at a retail store while all the time giving lessons. Still loved the game just got burned out. I took some time off and raced motorcycles for a few years (my other passion) and now I got away from that and I am back to golf. You know the old saying...absence makes the heart grow fonder! Maybe after a winter break you will be ready to go again....

[quote name='scotchblade' timestamp='1320281085' post='3752525']
rileyj, thanks for the offer, I will visit and bookmark your webpage. I imagine an old school putter goes with those wooden heads and blades? :) That sounds like fun.

Part of this is not playing well, I still think I'm 25, but the body knows otherwise and I can feel it. The rain is coming, I'll take a break and see what happens down the road apiece.

Thanks for the replies.
[/quote]

Funny - I still think I'm 28, but I feel more stiffness and minor aches every day. A little time off does help especially if your struggling or getting frustrated with your swing.

• 2 weeks later...

Been thinking about this thread for a few days,,and decided to throw in my experience.

I remember turning 50, and finally being able to play as a senior, and was still excited about golf. As I progressed into my mid-50's my handicap began to suffer. I was an 8 at the time, but as retirement began to get closer, I found myself wanting to work a bit harder, make more money, save more money, and those goals began to interfere with my golf time. At 56, I resigned from my club due to lack of play, and to save around $800 a month.

Fast forward to 62, when I retired. Now with more time to travel the country, and no need to save, we travel each summer. During the last three years we found that playing golf at different courses all over the country, (up to about 90) is a great addition to our trips along with the sightseeing we find in all parts of the country. Playing a new 18 holes 2-3 times per week in different areas of the country revitalized my interest in golf.

After not playing hardly at all for 6 years, I found out that my distance had suffered, flexibility was reduced, and my scores were up, more like a 15 when I restarted. Along with the new and different courses, another motivation crept in to my psyche, and that was to get back to single digits. Now after three years I am closing in on a 9. Not quite there, but I dont practice frequently, and although I would like to be single digit, I wont put in the practice time to get there quicker. I still walk and carry, even in the hottest of summer weather, wont play when temps fall below 45, and get stiff sitting in the AC after a round, but walking keeps me fit and allows me to not worry about weight gain.

In many ways, now at 65, I am a better golfer than I was at 50, I just dont get the distance I'd like but I also realize I am on a downhill slide, and just retaining my skills and keeping my scores in the high 70.s and low 80.s is a good challenge and will become more so as I age. About the only compromise I have made now is that I wont play much more than 6500 yards, and can without hesitation walk past the tips at 7000.

Still having fun, perhaps even more, just due to more opportunities to play more frequently. We also now live in a warm winter climate which provides golf nearly 365 days per year.

scotchblade:

Like you I am 55 Years old, and I starting playing golf in 1969. I too
was in the "doldrums" when it came to playing golf in the recent past.

Prior to herniating a disk in my neck in 1997, I was playing the best golf
of my life (I got down to a 1.9 index and diving in late 1996). It was a
struggle for several years after that point, and I basically played to a 7 or
8 for about 10 years, but always thought I would get back to the point where
I left off (and still had the desire to do so). I would get disgusted with
myself and game many times - one year I quit in June, and did not play until
the following May. Like you, I had no burning desire to play (which had always
been there).

Family, starting a business, etc factored into it as well. I got comfortable
shooting in the high 70s and low 80s in casual rounds of golf by telling
myself that the majority of golfers would love to shoot those scores - and I
stayed that way for many years.

I tried to reinvent my game around 2006 (50 years old) and started playing in
higher level amateur tournaments again here in Michigan. With practice and playing
a lot - I actually won a couple of Public Links tournaments - but still not
much desire - not like in the "old days". Got my handicap down to 5.5.

The turning point came in early July of this year. I played rather poorly in
a top notch amateur tournament so I watched the last 8 or 10 groups tee off on
number 1 (I was done with my 18 holes in the final round at that point). One
after another college or high school player bombed the ball off the tee to the
tune of between 300 and 370 yards (some with a carry of 340 yards!). It was the
first time I ever thought I do not belong in a tournament with who I was
playing against - very depressing! It was not their physical stature etc
that allowed them to do this - it was their age, and the equipment. It hit me
that I probably used to make somebody feel like this, in say 1973, and made me
feel old on the golf course for the first time in my life. I guess it happens to
all of us at some point. It actually got to the point where I would wonder how
you could be so miserable, on a beautiful summer day, playing the game that you
love(d).

Long story short, since I had never actually quit hitting and playing persimmon
woods, I decided to play them full time, and just have fun with golf like the "old
days". It progressed into playing hickory shafted clubs as well (which I had
dabbled with about 10 years ago for a few years).

The passion is back - I have been playing only hickory and classic (mostly hickory)
clubs since late July of this year - do not miss the "modern game" one bit and I am
having fun and can't wait for the next round again. The game is new again!!!

I have no idea if this would work for anybody else, but it did for me. I get more
satisfaction playing my hickory golf clubs than I ever did with the "modern stuff".
My hickory index is 11.1 - and my goal, like you, is to get into single digits. An
11.1 index with my modern clubs would have drove me crazy, but now it motivates me.
Right now - there is no better feeling in gold than hitting my hickory shafted
persimmon wood off the tee solidly - its a blast from the past! Breaking 80 is
very exciting now, not something to ponder why I did not shoot better etc.

Good luck with whatever ends up being the answer for you.

Wally

I went through this phase starting in 1996. I moved to a new state leaving behind my club and all my life long golf buddies. I lost all my desire to play, was burned out and focused on other things. About 4 years ago I jumped into tennis and became a decent player. Then I got injured in August and decided I was out for the rest of this year. My 24 year old boy decided he wanted to start playing again. We hit balls and I got the bug back, big time....New driver, new irons and other new things on the horizon. Can't wait until 2012! This may be temporary for you, or not. But, you have to enjoy what you're doing instead of just enduring it. Life is too short. Keep us updated...

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

I'm 56 Scotch. I play almost daily. I'm a 10.3, don't hit the ball very far, practice all the time, and am too dumb to quit. I had a heart attack a few months ago and am back to walking the course.

I have my share of frustrations. I take lessons and feel I should be playing better than I do. I have the desire, I have the motivation, I work hard, I just lack the ability. Yet I continue to plug along. I've broken 80 a handful of times this year.

I'll just keep going...

• 4 weeks later...

I used to play a lot but I found I was just playing. I was not really trying very hard to improve. When I bought a SkyCaddie due to poorly marked courses around here I became very competitive. I discovered that now I am keeping an honest index I want to shoot as low as possible and put in more effort now into each shot. I do take breaks and try and play about 3 times/week. My index is 10.7 at the moment and I am about to turn 65 in a few months.Oh, I started to play at 13.

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1321647399' post='3819421']
I'm 56 Scotch. I play almost daily. I'm a 10.3, . I had a heart attack a few months ago and am back to walking the course.

I have my share of frustrations. I take lessons and feel I should be playing better than I do. I have the desire, I have the motivation, I work hard, I just lack the ability. Yet I continue to plug along. I've broken 80 a handful of times this year.

I'll just keep going...
[/quote]

I can relate to the, "don't hit the ball very far, practice all the time, and am too dumb to quit" part of you post. Shooting in the 70s would be a motivator for me. I have shot several 80s last year but none in the 70s yet. If I get in some good range time early next year I should be playing much closer to what I expect.

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

I played golf in my 20s and 30s, primarily to spend time with my father.
Then for years and years I rarely played. Only about 5 years ago I took
up the game for the 1st time in my life in earnest.

I really enjoy the challenge of improving my ball striking and strategy
on the course.

From what I've read here so far it seems to me that many of the elder
statesmen of the game played very good to great golf in their younger
years and are now facing declining skills and distance and higher
scores. Most of the "fun" in golf is improving. When you view your game
as in decline I can understand the motivation declining as well.

For those of us who, essentially, took up the game much later in life;
we still view our game as being on the upward line of the graph and
are still motivated to get better.

I certainly don't claim to have any answers because I'm not in the
same place as you. A break may help. Also, maybe finding new reasons
to enjoy the game; or different goals as others have done.

As Sean2 has said, although I know my body is in decline, perhaps
I'm dumb enough to think I haven't yet reached my potential with
what I still have left, lol......I'm going to be 59 in Feb.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

[quote name='stixman' timestamp='1324332749' post='3962067']
I'm in the UK, back in 95 I felt the same way, Discovered hickory golf, made a bunch of new mates all over the world. I'm now 67, still playing off 9 and heavily into persimmons and blades over the last two years. guess what? It's like revisiting my youth like I've never been gone!

[/quote]

I think having new challenges is always re-invigorating. The hickory is a great way of doing that, without huge expectations or negativity in terms of the score. You are essentialy playing a "new" game.

I have also done the same thing as you with the persimmon and blades, and I find that is rejuvenating, as you are mentally going back to your youth and getting all the clubs that you weren't able to afford at the time, which is exciting for me. The courses are also played in a different way, and you end up using all the clubs in your bag, rather than the dominance of the driver and the wedges. It all adds to the interest for me, and it makes a great talking point during the round, and in the bar afterwards!

Retro is definitely the future!

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

[quote name='maverick' timestamp='1323916598' post='3941335']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1321647399' post='3819421']
I'm 56 Scotch. I play almost daily. I'm a 10.3, . I had a heart attack a few months ago and am back to walking the course.

I'll just keep going...
[/quote]

I can relate to the, "don't hit the ball very far, practice all the time, and am too dumb to quit" part of you post. Shooting in the 70s would be a motivator for me. I have shot several 80s last year but none in the 70s yet. If I get in some good range time early next year I should be playing much closer to what I expect.
[/quote]
Yes, but then I'll shoot some blow up score. Just looking for some consistency. :-)