So BOS ruined my putter....but Pingwrx will save it

So I sent my Ping Pick Em Up Long to BOS for ghosting.

First off, the BOS experience had been awesome - very friendly, very quick.

The putter came back and it's AWESOME - great ghosting, very detailed paint fill. All good.

Then I looked at the insert.

It's destroyed. By that, I mean its in there crooked, the silicon is jagged and crooked, and worst of all, the insert 'pops' when you press on it - there's almost certainly an air bubble under it. It's not even level with the face of the putter.

So I called Ping - and told them it was a refinish gone bad. They asked who did it, I said BOS, based on recommendations off these boards.

They told me to send it in, and for $45, they'll for sure re-insert it, good as new.

Before anyone asks for pics, i don't have any. I put it right back in the box and took it down to UPS and off to Ping.

I'll post some when i get it back.

So at the end of the day it seems like it'll work out, with a little bit of a headache, and a little extra coin.

Thank you PingWRX.

And shame on you BOS - my first (and last) experience was not particularly pleasant.

Lame.

G430 LST 9* Ventus TR Black 6S

Darkspeed 15* 1K Pro White 70S

G430 19* LIN-Q TSPX Black 85H F4

Black Ops 22* AV White 85S
ZX5 MkII (5-P) Modus3 105X
MG4 50,54,58 Modus3 125S

Futura X5.5 Weld Neck

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Havent' called BOS yet, but will do - i know their literature says in a number of places that there's always SLIGHT risk with inserts, so I knew there was a risk.

I won't send any putter with a soft insert to BOS again.

MG4 50,54,58 Modus3 125S

Futura X5.5 Weld Neck

[quote name='onafriday' timestamp='1320448325' post='3760523']
Havent' called BOS yet, but will do - i know their literature says in a number of places that there's always SLIGHT risk with inserts, so I knew there was a risk.

I won't send any putter with a soft insert to BOS again.
[/quote]

I would give BOS an opportunity to remedy the problem as best they can. There is a risk with soft inserts but from all accounts I've heard, BOS has pretty good customer service so I'd be curious to see their response.

PING 430 Max 10.5 
PING G430 Max 18.5 
PING G430 Max 20.5 
PING i230 4-W DGS300 120
PING Glide 4.0, 50SS / 54SS / 58SS
Axis 1 Joey

[quote name='EK16' timestamp='1320450322' post='3760645']
You should have contacted BOS first and gave them an opportunity to remedy the problem. They might have offered to pay for shipping both ways to fix the problem and taken care of it for no cost.

I don't know why you contacted PING before BOS.
[/quote]

Absolutely, and certainly before you posted it on here, you are shaming them before informing them of a problem and giving them a chance to respond.

Mayfield Sand Ridge CC
Stealth Plus 9 Ventus TR Red 6S

Apex UW 17* AD-DI 7S 

Sim2 4 Rescue AD-DI 85S

ZX5 MKII 4-6 / ZX7 MKII 7-P Modus Limited 115

SM9 Raw 50-54-58

Spider Hydroblast short slant 

Here's the deal, before I sent it to BOS, they did say there was risk, and I accept that. But guys, the insert is destroyed, and they already told me they don't do replacement inserts.

The Ping guy says they'll do it for $45. To me, at this point, I'd rather Ping to it than BOS try to salvage it, in the condition it's in.

Like I said, the head turned out amazing. Couldn't be happier. The insert is ruined.

MG4 50,54,58 Modus3 125S

Futura X5.5 Weld Neck

i am not really sure why the original poster is obligated to give bos the chance to fix the problem...if he chose to do, cool. if the original poster reported his experience accurately, then bos sent a damaged putter to him...quality control of some sort should have caught the problem and either fixed the problem or at least advised the customer of the problem prior to shipping. after recieving a damaged putter, the original poster is well within the realm of appropriateness to handle in the most direct way he believes will yield a repaired putter. b.

I don't feel the OP did anything wrong here. He simply sent his putter off to PING. If I had a club destroyed, I personally wouldn't send it right back to the same people to have them "fix" it. It isn't like he called BOS demanding the replace his putter, he's accepted that it's going to cost him $45 to have the work done, he isn't slamming BOS, just telling us what happened.

Ok so if I have a service done, and am told that part X may be damaged or ruined, and I accept that risk... When the service is done and part X is ruined, should I tell people part X is now broken, and make it look like the company who did the service was negligent?

Mayfield Sand Ridge CC
Stealth Plus 9 Ventus TR Red 6S

Apex UW 17* AD-DI 7S 

Sim2 4 Rescue AD-DI 85S

ZX5 MKII 4-6 / ZX7 MKII 7-P Modus Limited 115

SM9 Raw 50-54-58

Spider Hydroblast short slant 

This is exactly why I don't like aftermarket work on putters. I've had a few people do aftermarket finishes on a couple Cameron's and an Odyssey and every time I wish I would have just left it alone or let the original manufacturer do the work.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='barriec' timestamp='1320456757' post='3761077']
i am not really sure why the original poster is obligated to give bos the chance to fix the problem..
[/quote]

Finally, someone with a brain.

The OP paid for a service that got botched.

All the loyal BOS previous customers in the world can't change that.

They can't send out crap like this and not expect the word to get out.

Folks are always talking about you, just depends on what they say.

Glad to hear Ping will fix your putter up. No BOS for me. Simple.

-Dan

Wait wait wait..... They tell you the insert may be ruined during the process. It got ruined, and then shame on them? They tell you it is a possibility although it might be small.

I think what the OP did was right. Why should BOS fix it when they tell you its a risk in their service.

He took the risk, he suffered the $45 dollars, and he is going to end up with a putter he LOVES.

I dont think BOS should be getting bashed here. (not saying it has been other then the "shame on you bos")

Enjoy the putter!

[quote name='Johnsti2k6' timestamp='1320462299' post='3761505']
Wait wait wait..... They tell you the insert may be ruined during the process. It got ruined, and then shame on them? They tell you it is a possibility although it might be small.

I think what the OP did was right. Why should BOS fix it when they tell you its a risk in their service.

He took the risk, he suffered the $45 dollars, and he is going to end up with a putter he LOVES.

I dont think BOS should be getting bashed here. (not saying it has been other then the "shame on you bos")

Enjoy the putter!
[/quote]

this

Titleist TSR 3 9.0 Ventus TR Black 6S
Titleist TSI 3 15 Ventus Velocore black 7S
Titleist TSI 19 Ventus Velocore 85X
Titleist T100s 5-P Modus 105
Tileist T100s 49 SM8 5812
2020 Scotty Cameron NP2 LaGolf

2022 Scotty Cameron X 7.5 Stability Tour
Titleist Pro V1X
Dos Equis Lager
Balls deep, Boom

[quote name='Johnsti2k6' timestamp='1320462299' post='3761505']

Enjoy the putter!
[/quote]

The main point of all this is that no matter if there is a risk of an insert getting damaged you don't send a putter like that back to the customer or you don't provide finishes on insert putters one. I think the OP did the right thing as well. I wouldn't have sent it back either. I understand things can happen during the refinish process, but you don't send something like that back without fixing the problem - bad business practice. I can assure you Lamont wouldn't let that putter out of his shop.

[quote name='502 to Right' timestamp='1320465276' post='3761705']
BOS clearly states on their website that they will not be liable for damage to inserts that are not made to be removed and that there is a chance of damage. And you say shame on them? Shame on you.
[/quote]

Don't you think they should have informed him of the problem?

I have to say that reading this thread I saw responses all over the scale. It is great to have a site that lets everyone speak their mind, without censorship............
My 2-cents on it?
BOS clearly states that there is risk when working with inserts that are not meant to be removed. It is make very clear that if it is ruined, they can not replace it. There is no gray area on that, agreed?
IMHO, the ONLY detail that went without the attention that it should have gotten was their failure to let the OP know that this had occured. A simple phone call or email with an explanation or simple statement saying that the insert was not 100% would have not made the OP very happy, but it would have let him be aware of what was coming home and given him a chance to make alternative arrangements for the putter's next stop.
For those who say he had no obligation to give BOS a chance to fix it.........sort of a gray area. They have already stated that they do not fix inserts. Was a call really necessary?
The issue that strikes me is the title of this thread. It makes it sound like BOS screwed up and botched the refinish. They did no such thing. They took in a putter that maybe they should not have and the insert was ruined. The OP had been warned, or notified, right?
PING WRX is an incredible shop, but, like the Cameron Studio, they don't offer a myriad of alternative finishes, so guys go elsewhere. A lot of refinishers won't touch synthetic inserts, just for the simple reason that they were NOT MEANT TO BE REMOVED. Most applied finishes have some heat involved.........bad for synthetic inserts.
I guess the point I am making is that nobody really did anything wrong. It was a risk, the OP assumed it, now he has found a way to fix it that costs an additional $45. I am hopeful that WRX can do the work without damaging the white finish and that he gets that sweet, custom-looking putter back as soon as possible.
Just one Mann's thoughts on it, take 'em with a grain of salt......it is past my 10 o'clock posting curfew, (cool) .
LaMont in AZ

I sent a putter to C&L/350milled for a lie and loft adjustment, and they damaged my cavity insert. The guy working on the putter sent an email regarding the finished work and payment request, but no heads up about the damage. I understand there is risk involved with adjustments, but I what upset me is they didn't tell me it occurred. Lesson learned. Never again sending my clubs other than to the manufacturer.
They should have notified you of the damage. Moreover, they shouldn't take work requests for insert putters. They obviously knew there is a risk.

BOS shouldn't accept jobs they don't have 100% confidence in not making right. I mean, so they essentially destroy the putter and send it back like nothing happened.

Good for Ping fixing it for mere $45.

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

[quote name='kitsoasis' timestamp='1320491049' post='3762179']
The astronomically high standards of some WRX posters on anything seems to be higher with each passing day.

OP did the right thing
Ping's obviously doing the right thing
BOS should've told the OP about the damage but really, they warned of a risk and the risk eventuated. What's surprising?
[/quote]
+1
A warning of the risk means the risk may happen! You can't complain when it does!

Original poster here. I think most of us are on the same page. There was a risk, I took it, and I got bit. I would say it would have been nice to have received a call or a discount or whatever, but I didn't. It wouldn't change things a ton, it wasn't too expensive, and it wouldn't have changed anything.

I'd also agree that if there was any chance any insert would come out THAT damaged, they probably shouldn't take orders with them.

It was a poor choice of words -shame on them- on my part. They said it could happen, it definitely happened. But because it can happen, I'd suggest you guys think long and hard before sending them a putter with a soft insert.

Again, the head with the white polymer itself is awesome- I hope Ping can preserve it as much when they redo the insert.

MG4 50,54,58 Modus3 125S

Futura X5.5 Weld Neck

[quote name='onafriday' timestamp='1320506552' post='3762739']
They said it could happen, it definitely happened. But because it can happen, I'd suggest you guys think long and hard before sending them a putter with a soft insert.

[/quote]

That should be said for [i]any[/i] aftermarket finisher. The problem is that the inserts are not meant to be removed and reinstalled. The original manufacturer can replace it easily because they have pile of new and uninstalled inserts they can put in. An aftermarket shop does not.

My recommendation is for people with synthetic inserts to stop trying to get them refinished. And the aftermarket shops should turn away the business because of complaints like this one.