So BOS ruined my putter....but Pingwrx will save it

[quote name='502 to Right' timestamp='1320510669' post='3762929']
[quote name='onafriday' timestamp='1320506552' post='3762739']
They said it could happen, it definitely happened. But because it can happen, I'd suggest you guys think long and hard before sending them a putter with a soft insert.

[/quote]

That should be said for [i]any[/i] aftermarket finisher. The problem is that the inserts are not meant to be removed and reinstalled. The original manufacturer can replace it easily because they have pile of new and uninstalled inserts they can put in. An aftermarket shop does not.

[b]My recommendation is for people with synthetic inserts to stop trying to get them refinished. And the aftermarket shops should turn away the business because of complaints like this one.[/b]
[/quote]

That's a little much. I recommend that you should stop driving a car because someone might hit you.

Honestly, BOS did everything right except for notify the OP. I admit they screwed up there, but they should've came to him with other options. Maybe that's something to point out to them in the future. Imagine how different this story would've been if they told the OP that they were sending it to Ping WRX for him...

How frequent are these complaints? This may have been the second one I've read. It's just that 1% of people who feel they've been wronged typically have the loudest voice. It's no different than the BST, the vast majority of people are good and there are a brozillion positive transactions for every one negative. Let's shut down the BST too.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a lot of statements don't quite fit together:

[color=#1C2837][size=2]"BOS ruined my putter"[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]"the BOS experience had been awesome"[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]"[/size][/color][color=#1C2837][size=2]The putter came back and it's AWESOME"[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]"[/size][/color][color=#1C2837][size=2]It's destroyed"[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]"[/size][/color][color=#1C2837][size=2]shame on you BOS - my first (and last) experience was not particularly pleasant[/size][/color][color=#1C2837][size=2]"[/size][/color]

Gents, this is exactly why a number of very good and reputable vendors have abandoned eBay.

Too many, like the OP can post a negative and your once bullet proof reputation is shot. End of story.

Now, like others have posted BOS could likely have headed this off with a call prior to returning the putter or could have sent it directly to PING for the customer.

They had an out to support doing this at extra cost re their posted issues with inserts.

Customizing anything has risks. Buyer Beware!

This is a valuable lesson for the folks at BOS and I'm sure they will be able to head off a similar situation in the future knowing there's a resolution available.

It should also be a valuable lesson for the OP re posting issues without giving the vendor a chance to make it right... or have a say.

Glen Coombe
The Putting Doctor “Retired!”
Level 3 SAM PuttLab Instructor
Carribean Represemtative SAM Sports
Creator of Perfection Platforms
Http://puttingdoctor.net

[quote name='mikeoxlongball' timestamp='1320512575' post='3763013']
[quote name='super20dan' timestamp='1320453255' post='3760861']
serves you right for ruining a putter by painting it white.
[/quote]
+1million. Gayest thing people can do to a putter is paint it white yuk
[/quote]

I...3rd this? For the life of me...having a white putter is disgusting. Folks you heard it here first. This really is a fad, and will disappear within a year or two. Trust me. There's a reason why PING etc...don't make "ghosted" putters. IMHO, it looks cheap and tacky...as if it were made in China.

But back to the original topic...PING Wrx department is amazing.

I...3rd this? For the life of me...having a white putter is disgusting. Folks you heard it here first. This really is a fad, and will disappear within a year or two. Trust me. There's a reason why PING etc...don't make "ghosted" putters. IMHO, it looks cheap and tacky...as if it were made in China.

They are made in China... tongue.gif (sorry had to...)

and +1 on PING Wrx... if you ever get the chance to look around- that place is like a goldmine.

[quote name='onafriday' timestamp='1320447539' post='3760457']
So I sent my Ping Pick Em Up Long to BOS for ghosting.

First off, the BOS experience had been awesome - very friendly, very quick.

The putter came back and it's AWESOME - great ghosting, very detailed paint fill. All good.

Then I looked at the insert.

It's destroyed. By that, I mean its in there crooked, the silicon is jagged and crooked, and worst of all, the insert 'pops' when you press on it - there's almost certainly an air bubble under it. It's not even level with the face of the putter.

So I called Ping - and told them it was a refinish gone bad. They asked who did it, I said BOS, based on recommendations off these boards.

They told me to send it in, and for $45, they'll for sure re-insert it, good as new.

Before anyone asks for pics, i don't have any. I put it right back in the box and took it down to UPS and off to Ping.

I'll post some when i get it back.

So at the end of the day it seems like it'll work out, with a little bit of a headache, and a little extra coin.

Thank you PingWRX.

And shame on you BOS - my first (and last) experience was not particularly pleasant.

Lame.
[/quote]

You really shouldn't have titled the post the way you did. It does make BOS look bad before anyone actuallyt reads it. That said they should have informed you of what happened even though you accepted resposibility when you sent it to them knowing the risk. Really bad form on both you and BOS IMHO.

[quote name='jjrpilot' timestamp='1320533667' post='3763863']
[quote name='mikeoxlongball' timestamp='1320512575' post='3763013']
[/quote]
[/quote]

I...3rd this? For the life of me...having a white putter is disgusting. Folks you heard it here first. This really is a fad, and will disappear within a year or two. Trust me. There's a reason why PING etc...don't make "ghosted" putters. [b]IMHO, it looks cheap and tacky...as if it were made in China.[/b]

[/quote]

Ping putter heads are still made in China... what's your point?

This is silly.

BOS did ruin my putter, I'm sure not intentionally.

But the insert is ruined.

Now, hopefully, Ping will fix it.

Would it have been better had I said BOS accidentally ruined my putter? I guess I figured it was implied. I'm sure they didn't do it on purpose.

But it's ruined, and they ruined it. Ping has insert inventory to fix it. I'm sure if BOS had, they wouldn't have sent it in the shape they did.

In my opinion, don't send insert putters to BOS.

G430 LST 9* Ventus TR Black 6S

Darkspeed 15* 1K Pro White 70S

G430 19* LIN-Q TSPX Black 85H F4

Black Ops 22* AV White 85S
ZX5 MkII (5-P) Modus3 105X
MG4 50,54,58 Modus3 125S

Futura X5.5 Weld Neck

You guys bashing the OP should get your heads out of your arsesrussian_roulette.gif

None of us would be happy if we waited 3-6 weeks on a custom job and got it back all jacked up.

BOS is very reputable, I can agree with this.

BUT>>>>>>> they jacked his putter up and got paid for it.

I don't think BOS is a bad company because of it, but I do know for a fact that if they can't work on putters with inserts, they should not accept folks money for doing so.

-Dan

I can see both sides of the argument, but the fact is, for the mot part only OEMs can replace inserts.

BUT, those same OEMs cannot do the same work BOS can.

And BOS is very clear that they may not be able to save the insert.

If my choice is between BOS not offering the service or providing it with a caveat, I'd rather have the caveat.

Knowing they could destroy the insert I would take *personal responsibility* to do research before sending the putter to BOS, ensuring I had a plan if the insert came back bad.

Then I would more than willingly send the insert putter to BOS.

And if they they could not save it, I wouldn't complain about it on a message board.

Because it's *my* personal responsibility to understand and be prepared for the ramifications.

I am glad to hear Ping will install a new insert, even with aftermarket work. *For me* that's been the real value of this post.

A cup of coffe from McDonalds says contents are hot , do you go ahead and take a big drink right after you get it? BOS had a warning, YOU decided it was worth the chance, the putter was ruined, BOS was not informed and not given a chance to even attempt to fix the problem, now. What happenes if PING ruins the ghost finish? Your going to come on and say PING is the worse and you will never give them a chance? I don't get it!! YOU knew there was a possibility the insert was ruined, YOU decided to go ahead and send it in,,,, so IMHO YOU are to blame,,,,, sorry , tough love,,,,,

[/quote]
:clapping::clapping::clapping::cheesy::cheesy:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya Chrome 6TF5 

3 Wood: Tour Edge CBX 119 16.5 w/ PX Evenflow Blue 6.5

Hybrid: Fourteen Prototype 2 iron Bent to 20* w/ UST Mamiya Proto 125 X

Irons: Fourteen FH1000 4-PW 1*Strong/1*Up w/ KBS $Taper S+ +1/2

GW: Fourteen RM12 - 50/10   w/ KBS $Taper S+ +1/2

SW:  Fourteen RM12 – 54.5/10.5   w/ KBS 610 130 +1/2

LW:  Fourteen RM12 - 59/9   w/ KBS 610 130 +1/2

Putter: Odyssey 1W Milled / EVNROLL ER2 @ 34”,4* & 71* w/ Ionmic Mid Size

Ball: Taking Applications For Open Position !!! 

Given the uproar on these boards, I did send BOS an email late Friday letting them know that the insert appeared to be heavily damaged, which i recognized was a risk at the time I sent it in.

You know what BOS replied with?

Nothin.

I guess their customer service record only applies when they don't completely eff' up your flat stick.

Use BOS at your own risk.

G430 LST 9* Ventus TR Black 6S

Darkspeed 15* 1K Pro White 70S

G430 19* LIN-Q TSPX Black 85H F4

Black Ops 22* AV White 85S
ZX5 MkII (5-P) Modus3 105X
MG4 50,54,58 Modus3 125S

Futura X5.5 Weld Neck

[quote name='BogeyDog11' timestamp='1320781583' post='3775855']
I kind of agree in that anyone sending a putter in to be painted white should have it fall apart. With that being said, anyone that does not give someone a chance to right a wrong before airing it in public, deserves a white putter with a screwed up face. Just sayin.....
[/quote]
I guess this is my issue - before a person trashes a company in an open forum it seems fair (not required) to give them a chance to make things right. Nobody, and I mean nobody is perfect. It also seems fair to provide pictures of the damage. I tend to have a bit of an OCD problem with my equipment so if I have an issue I post pictures so others can judge for themselves. But that's just my feelings.

That said, I don't blame the OP for going with someone else for the fix. I just wouldn't have said anything in that case.

[quote name='onafriday' timestamp='1320801393' post='3777101']
Given the uproar on these boards, I did send BOS an email late Friday letting them know that the insert appeared to be heavily damaged, which i recognized was a risk at the time I sent it in.

Nothin.

I guess their customer service record only applies when they don't completely eff' up your flat stick.

[/quote]

So you sent them a email Friday and came here and ranted today. Nice! Pretty easy to guess which way I'm leaning on this one. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make one drink....while some horse's can not be lead.

[quote name='onafriday' timestamp='1320801393' post='3777101']

Nothin.

[/quote]

What were you expecting them to reply with?

Do you just want an "I'm sorry"?

Do want your money back?

Do you want some of your money back?

What do you want to do besides complain on a message board?

For those who haven't bothered to look, this is taken right off the BOS site.

-------------------

[b]Odyssey White Hot Models and All Putters with Inserts - Starting at $75[/b]
Disclaimer: Odyssey did not intend to have the Face Insert removed and therefore[color="#FF0000"] there is a chance that the face insert could be damaged if removed.[/color] If you chose to have us refinish this particular model [color="#FF0000"]we will not be liable if the insert is damaged. [/color]You may send it in without the face insert if you like.
---------------------

I'm genuinely sorry that your putter is damaged and you are bummed. Really! I'm sure it sucks to get your "new " putter back and find the damage.

But I am totally baffled how anyone could be surprised or mad if their insert putter came back from BOS with a ruined insert.

It reminds me of my kids. I say "If you do that again, you are going to time out." They do "it" and are shocked when they go to time out. But they're 6.

You've got to just own this and move on man.

Just read some of these posts.... If I pay someone to do ANYTHING and they think for even a minute that something may go wrong, I'd be pissed if they did the wrong thing and didn't make it right. And then to charge me??? Heck no. I work in the service dept. and the customer IS always right. That's how you get repeat and new business. OP hope our friends at PING can hook you up.

[quote name='sTmGolfer' timestamp='1320449978' post='3760615']
[quote name='onafriday' timestamp='1320448325' post='3760523']
Havent' called BOS yet, but will do - i know their literature says in a number of places that there's always SLIGHT risk with inserts, so I knew there was a risk.

I won't send any putter with a soft insert to BOS again.
[/quote]

I would give BOS an opportunity to remedy the problem as best they can. There is a risk with soft inserts but from all accounts I've heard, BOS has pretty good customer service so I'd be curious to see their response.
[/quote]

seriously, what an odd response to a service problem. i'll post on golfwrx that they suck and ship the putter off to somebody else and spend more money. who does that???

Taylormade M4 10°, Oban Revenge

Yonex eZone St 15º, Oban Revenge

Tour Edge CB4 19°, Tour AD
Mizuno MP-20 MMC, 4-PW, $ Taper
Callaway Jaws, 50º, 55º, & 60º, KBS Tour
Taylormade Spider

[quote name='PuttingDoctor' timestamp='1320529613' post='3763741']
Gents, this is exactly why a number of very good and reputable vendors have abandoned eBay.

Too many, like the OP can post a negative and your once bullet proof reputation is shot. End of story.
[/quote]

This is exactly what I was thinking. It's tough to make everyone happy, and god forbid you make a mistake!

However, I'm not sure why BOS would send the putter back as if nothing was wrong?