Ben Hogan 1988 Redline vs 1999 Apex Blade

b4rn0wl

I was still playing old Titleist Tour Models in 1988. I had quite a few sets of the same 1979 model. 1-SW , DGx100's, 1/2 long, two wraps full cord, 1* flat. The 1-iron looked so thin from the top, I had to lean to the left just to see it. Brutally honest sticks. Once I stopped playing/practicing every day, I moved to something more modern (at the time) that I could hit with my eyes closed after a 2-week layoff.

[attachment=2064899:1979_US_197980tour_main.png]

I still play a set of PC's now and then. Lovely clubs.

[attachment=2064903:pcs_sm.jpg]

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

ping eye2 hurt more than just hogan sales . a huge number of the smaller co,s went under while the eye2 was dominating the sales of irons. this beating lasted for a good 10 years. funny the zing was like the new coke. a huge bust. i became friendly with the manager of the largest and most sucessfull mom and pop golf store here in jax. this outfit was so sucessfull that nevada bobs could not compete and folded here. anyway the manager told me they were rationed by ping to 2 sets of eye2 irons per store. per month the demand was that great. ping couldnt begin to keep up. some where i read eye2 was number 1 in all time sales(no suprise) tommy armor 845 no2 and cobra king cobra 3rd and hogan edge no 4

73 hogan apex

Having finally tried Eye2 (well, Eye2+) a couple years ago, I can see how all that happened. It's one heck of a good set of irons, and Pings are so durable they essentially have a half-life.

But good lord!! do they hit the ball high. I actually lost distance with the PW because of that...

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='Soloman1' timestamp='1392152412' post='8646309']
I was still playing old Titleist Tour Models in 1988. I had quite a few sets of the same 1979 model. 1-SW , DGx100's, 1/2 long, two wraps full cord, 1* flat. The 1-iron looked so thin from the top, I had to lean to the left just to see it. Brutally honest sticks. Once I stopped playing/practicing every day, I moved to something more modern (at the time) that I could hit with my eyes closed after a 2-week layoff.

[attachment=2064899:1979_US_197980tour_main.png]

I still play a set of PC's now and then. Lovely clubs.

[attachment=2064903:pcs_sm.jpg]
[/quote]

Your numbers are red paint filled and mine are black...do you know which year yours are from?

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

[quote name='HoganApexBlades' timestamp='1392150835' post='8646123']
[quote name='freddiec' timestamp='1392124909' post='8643201']
The PCs were a beautiful set and IMO not any harder to hit than any other players club of the time. If you noticed the serial numbers on the hosel of the PC are pretty much all the same, except for the 1st letter. For example some models start with H7xxx, others Fxxx and I believe K. I'm pretty sure the model with the H were made the year Hogan made them with a rounder sole. I had that set in the late 80s for thru the very early 90s when I ditched them for a set of Nicklaus JNP cavity back. I never found the PC hard to hit. The model with the sharper leading edge might be a slighly different story. I have a set of those now and have played with them occassionally. I had apex 4's in my original set and love that shaft.
[/quote]

As far as I know, the serial number on the Apex PC blades indicate the month of manufacture (1st digit) / year of manufacture (2nd digit) / model # (3rd & 4th digits) / Shaft flex (5 digit) / Swingweight (6th digit). My PC's are G72042 which should mean G = JULY / 7 =1987 / 20 = PC / 4 = Apex 4 / 2 = D2.

Of course, I could be wrong...
[/quote]

I don't have any inside track. This seemed to fit with my Apex PCs and Apex IIs. It would credibly date the white cameo Apex IIs to 1979 and the PCs to 1987 - and it correctly identifies the different shaft flexes.

It breaks down however for the 1 irons I have. G72042 indicates a stiff, rather than the regular (and it doesn't look as though it's been reshafted), and YB6082 doesn't really seem to fit into the same schema at all. 8-flex anyone???

[quote name='Soloman1' timestamp='1392211857' post='8651035']
Mine are G72041, so July 87 also going by your earlier post. I'm in Japan and got these PC's in Japan. Others more knowledgeable than me have said the red paint fill was used for Japanese clubs.
[/quote]

So, are your PC's D1 swingweight???

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

• 1 month later...

What a great thread. Clearly a Hogan thread but with references to all the great (and nearly all gone, or not as mainstream) OEMs of the 70's, 80's and early 90's. I loved Macgregor and Wilson particularly but knew many Hogan players here in the UK. Slazenger and Dunlop were also mainstream, if not as higher cache, at least in my view, as were Spalding. Ram and others also doing well such as Lynx I would so love to see some of these OEMs make a comeback but I know it is unrealistic although Wilson do have a chance as they still make great products but need to get the marketing right. When I started Callaway did not exist, TaylorMade fledgling at best, Nike non existent, Cobra probably also non existent, Titleist better known for gloves and balls (although club acceptance started before some other major brands), Ping more known for putters before Eye 2 etc. It makes me think what brands in 20 years time will still exist, let alone lead. 20-30 years ago Wilson were Nike in many ways so I would not stake too much on any predictions of who exists, does not exist, who is niche, who leads, who loses their cache etc. There are so many variables - all of those companies who have fallen on harder times did have great products, good marketing, tour endorsements etc. so no telling who makes it and who does not.

[quote name='Shallowface' timestamp='1391089867' post='8564252']
The post about "Hogan dominance" in the majors of the 80s got me to thinking.

Wouldn't vouch for this as being 100 percent accurate, but I think it's pretty close.

RAM 6 Watson (5) Trevino (not under contract but played Ram during this time)
MACGREGOR 6 Nicklaus (3), Graham, Strange (2)
MIZUNO 5 Lyle (2), Faldo (2), Sluman (?)
HOGAN 4 Nelson (3?), Rogers
BALLESTEROS 4 Under contract to Sounder in the US, Dunlop (?)
SPALDING 2 Stadler and Norman
PING 2 Tway and Calcavechhia
WILSON 2 Langer and Stewart
POWERBILT 2 Mize and Zoeller
HAGEN 1 Crenshaw
TITLEIST 1 Sutton
FLOYD 2 Likely Wilson but usually had some regional telephone company on the bag
NORTH 1 Under contract to Sounder
SIMPSON 1 Under contract to Yamaha (?)
GREEN 1 Under contract to Northwestern

I don't know if Larry Nelson was a Hogan staffer throughout the 80s or not. Not sure about Hal Sutton when he won the PGA (edit: Titleist, not Hogan based on the clip from his 1983 PGA win on his Golf Channel Academy show). In later years, he was under contract to Yamaha, and after that Spalding (Strata for sure, the Spalding version of Hogan, not sure).

Don't know what Seve played in the 80s.

Does anyone remember the Sounder TV ads with Seve, Tommy Bolt and Andy North?

I do remember Seve having those green and gold Victory II grips on his clubs at the 1983 Masters. That's the same grip Sounder was using. But that doesn't mean those were Sounder clubs.

When Crenshaw won the Masters in 1984, I was under the impression he was using something other than the Haig Ultra Crenshaw Grind that was available at retail during that time. Hard to say for sure. No HDTV.

Not sure what Andy North, Scott Simpson or Hubert Green actually had in the bag during their wins. Northwestern actually had a large tour staff at one time. Bob Murphy, Bruce Crampton, Chi Chi, Judy Rankin, Weiskopf, Jim Thorpe, Gary Player, and Hubert Green among others. No idea if any of them actually bagged any Northwestern clubs. They did have some pro line offerings in the 70s and early 80s. Nancy Lopez was another and she used their copy of the Hogan Magnum for awhile. Story was her regular clubs didn't make it to the site and she pulled them off the rack and ended up keeping them.

Golf World used to have a "Player of the Month" feature in their magazine. During Majors season, the winner was usually POTM, and they had a WITB for them. I need to see if I have any of those magazines still around.

So, Hogan's 4 out of 40 is high on the list, but certainly not dominance.
[/quote]

The irons of the 80s were ram Tour Grinds, hands down.

You forgot the world #1 for a while Nick Price was with Ram. Crenshaw also played Tour Grinds (in addition to Hagens). Also, Floyd used custom grind Tour Grinds though not a staffer. Seve and Player also bagged Ram Tour Grinds at one time or another.

And just like the post Ft. Worth Hogans, the post Armour Fx Tour Grinds sucked/were not the same, though I did like the Ni ones. I still have 2-3 sets as well as a set of '81 Goldens NIB and lent another set to a retired Pro.

I've not hit the Hogan '99s I have 3 sets of '88 and one White Cameo, had a few Clambshells, which sucked. But the '88 Redlines are among the easiest blades to hit. A little higher ball flight than the majority of the basic 70's "blade in blade" design Hogans had.

FWIW I've never liked any of the Wilson except the ? 71/72 which did not have the undercut muscle, nor the VIPs & Titleists (which I thought were the worst of the bunch).

JBeam ZY-11 10* Basileus Alpha S / Crazy 435ii 10.5* Basileus AAA X
Tour Issue TM Superfast 2.0 TP 13.5* & 18* UST VTS SIlver 7S
Apex Pro Recoil 95 R // Steelhead XR Pro Recoil ES 760
Vega VM06 50 - 54 - 58 Shimada W
Slighter Auburn

[quote name='Swoosh-Thud' timestamp='1395508438' post='8925575']
[quote name='Shallowface' timestamp='1391089867' post='8564252']
The post about "Hogan dominance" in the majors of the 80s got me to thinking.

Wouldn't vouch for this as being 100 percent accurate, but I think it's pretty close.

RAM 6 Watson (5) Trevino (not under contract but played Ram during this time)
MACGREGOR 6 Nicklaus (3), Graham, Strange (2)
MIZUNO 5 Lyle (2), Faldo (2), Sluman (?)
HOGAN 4 Nelson (3?), Rogers
BALLESTEROS 4 Under contract to Sounder in the US, Dunlop (?)
SPALDING 2 Stadler and Norman
PING 2 Tway and Calcavechhia
WILSON 2 Langer and Stewart
POWERBILT 2 Mize and Zoeller
HAGEN 1 Crenshaw
TITLEIST 1 Sutton
FLOYD 2 Likely Wilson but usually had some regional telephone company on the bag
NORTH 1 Under contract to Sounder
SIMPSON 1 Under contract to Yamaha (?)
GREEN 1 Under contract to Northwestern

I don't know if Larry Nelson was a Hogan staffer throughout the 80s or not. Not sure about Hal Sutton when he won the PGA (edit: Titleist, not Hogan based on the clip from his 1983 PGA win on his Golf Channel Academy show). In later years, he was under contract to Yamaha, and after that Spalding (Strata for sure, the Spalding version of Hogan, not sure).

Don't know what Seve played in the 80s.

Does anyone remember the Sounder TV ads with Seve, Tommy Bolt and Andy North?

I do remember Seve having those green and gold Victory II grips on his clubs at the 1983 Masters. That's the same grip Sounder was using. But that doesn't mean those were Sounder clubs.

When Crenshaw won the Masters in 1984, I was under the impression he was using something other than the Haig Ultra Crenshaw Grind that was available at retail during that time. Hard to say for sure. No HDTV.

Not sure what Andy North, Scott Simpson or Hubert Green actually had in the bag during their wins. Northwestern actually had a large tour staff at one time. Bob Murphy, Bruce Crampton, Chi Chi, Judy Rankin, Weiskopf, Jim Thorpe, Gary Player, and Hubert Green among others. No idea if any of them actually bagged any Northwestern clubs. They did have some pro line offerings in the 70s and early 80s. Nancy Lopez was another and she used their copy of the Hogan Magnum for awhile. Story was her regular clubs didn't make it to the site and she pulled them off the rack and ended up keeping them.

Golf World used to have a "Player of the Month" feature in their magazine. During Majors season, the winner was usually POTM, and they had a WITB for them. I need to see if I have any of those magazines still around.

So, Hogan's 4 out of 40 is high on the list, but certainly not dominance.
[/quote]

The irons of the 80s were ram Tour Grinds, hands down.

You forgot the world #1 for a while Nick Price was with Ram. Crenshaw also played Tour Grinds (in addition to Hagens). Also, Floyd used custom grind Tour Grinds though not a staffer. Seve and Player also bagged Ram Tour Grinds at one time or another.

And just like the post Ft. Worth Hogans, the post Armour Fx Tour Grinds sucked/were not the same, though I did like the Ni ones. I still have 2-3 sets as well as a set of '81 Goldens NIB and lent another set to a retired Pro.

I've not hit the Hogan '99s I have 3 sets of '88 and one White Cameo, had a few Clambshells, which sucked. But the '88 Redlines are among the easiest blades to hit. A little higher ball flight than the majority of the basic 70's "blade in blade" design Hogans had.

FWIW I've never liked any of the Wilson except the ? 71/72 which did not have the undercut muscle, nor the VIPs & Titleists (which I thought were the worst of the bunch).
[/quote]

I didn't forget about Nick Price. This post was about major champions of the 80s. Price was world #1 in the 90s.

Ray Floyd and Gary Player were on the Ram Staff for a brief time in the 70s. Not working from memory. I have catalogs in which they are pictured.

Crenshaw was associated with Hagen and Wilson during the 80s. He was affiliated with Cleveland at some point during the 90s. I do remember reading the 1995 Masters win was with an old set of Hagen irons.

Ram had its major championship successes, mostly with Watson, and a number of tournament wins with others such as Calvin Peete. But I wouldn't consider them "the irons of the 80s." Just like Taylor Made today, Wilson was probably number one in overall wins just because they had so many players on staff during that time.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

My bad. Subconsciously missed/overlooked the "major" in my excitement....forgot about ol' Mr Straight (Peete).

JBeam ZY-11 10* Basileus Alpha S / Crazy 435ii 10.5* Basileus AAA X
Tour Issue TM Superfast 2.0 TP 13.5* & 18* UST VTS SIlver 7S
Apex Pro Recoil 95 R // Steelhead XR Pro Recoil ES 760
Vega VM06 50 - 54 - 58 Shimada W
Slighter Auburn

[quote name='xgolfx' timestamp='1395601473' post='8932249']
Tom Watson won with MacGregor irons which were later deemed to have non conforming grooves when Karsten and the PGA got into it. Tom Weiskopf won with MacGregor irons. I am not sure, but I think he only used 2 sets of irons, both MacGregor , in his career.

CHARLEY PENNA
[/quote]

Yes Charley, I had Watson and Weiskopf in the right spots in post 53 of this thread where I attempted to list the clubs played by major champions of the 70s.

I saw Weiskopf at a senior tour event in 1992 or 1993 and he had MacGregor irons in his bag then. They didn't appear to be new. I watched him hit a large bucket on the range. He was still really good.

--Rory McIlroy 

[quote name='super20dan' timestamp='1395598862' post='8931945']
mark brooks won a major with hogans i believe
[/quote]

Mark Brooks won the 1996 PGA. My lists were on major champions of the 70s and 80s.

I wouldn't attempt to do such a list for the 90s. I was working 7 day 75 hour weeks in 1996. I have virtually no memory from those days, golf or otherwise.

--Rory McIlroy 

• 5 months later...

thought I'd revive an old thread here re 99 Apex irons. I immediately ordered a custom set of 1999 Apex blades when they were originally released back in ... well ... 1999. Since then, they've been relegated to my basement as after a couple of seasons, I jumped over to Mizunos with the 33, 62 and lately, the MP 69. With that being said, however, something never quite looked (or felt) right with these new generation of Mizzy forgings. Wanting to get to the bottom of this, I dug out my orig set of 3-E 99 Apex'es ... and voila, there it was. In order to make the transition from hosel to head/face more 'appealing', Mizuno has really REALLY shallowed-out the face of the blade nearest to the hosel (hope that makes sense). Not only does this make the face seem strangely short (by the hosel) but almost Ping Zing 2'ish out toward the toe. Yuck. To make a long story short, I've recently cleaned up, re-gripped and reshafted my 99 Apex'es (with KBS C-Tapers no less) and put them back into play. It took me no time at ALL to get re-accustomed to what I feel is probably the best designed, best looking and EASIEST to hit blades ever made. So with that said, it's good to be back with my old Hogan friends. Mizzy MP 69's have been relegated to back up set, but frankly, I find it extremely uncomfortable looking down at these (69's) now at address. Almost looks like they'd break at the hosel/face ... Lastly. just saw a set of these here on BST (99 apex 3-E). Don't hesitate. Get 'em and play 'em. Bend 'em a degree strong on loft and you've got a modern set of very playable, very forgiving blades.

Am I seeing correctly that the 1999 Apex are not pinned hosels?

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I saw Calvin Peete's name in this thread...

He lost so much money in the south Florida money games, we ran him off the course just before he finally made it on tour. Here's something a lot of people don't know: he had diamonds set in his teeth. The Tour made him take them out.

He was just an average hack for a long time. He'd shoot par sometimes, but that was about as low as he could go. He'd get two shots a side and still lose money. A handful of us were +4 or better. Every par 5 was a birdie hole, so we always thought 68 was par.

One day, and I mean literally in just one day, Calvin went from about a scratch player to being good . . . really good. It was like instant oatmeal. Add water and suddenly he hit most irons close. Sure, he was straight with the driver, but before that, his iron play was just so-so. Lightening struck and he rode whatever feeling he found for several years.

I guess it just goes to show that you never know when it's going to strike, so keep on playing. Today might be the day!

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

• 4 months later...

The PCs were a beautiful set and IMO not any harder to hit than any other players club of the time. If you noticed the serial numbers on the hosel of the PC are pretty much all the same, except for the 1st letter. For example some models start with H7xxx, others Fxxx and I believe K. I'm pretty sure the model with the H were made the year Hogan made them with a rounder sole. I had that set in the late 80s for thru the very early 90s when I ditched them for a set of Nicklaus JNP cavity back. I never found the PC hard to hit. The model with the sharper leading edge might be a slighly different story. I have a set of those now and have played with them occassionally. I had apex 4's in my original set and love that shaft.
[/quote]

As far as I know, the serial number on the Apex PC blades indicate the month of manufacture (1st digit) / year of manufacture (2nd digit) / model # (3rd & 4th digits) / Shaft flex (5 digit) / Swingweight (6th digit). My PC's are G72042 which should mean G = JULY / 7 =1987 / 20 = PC / 4 = Apex 4 / 2 = D2.

[/quote]

HoganApexBlades,

G = 1985
72 = PC model number
0 = Type of Shaft - in this case 0 indicates a standard Apex shaft
4 = Shaft Flex - in this case Hogan 4 flex
2 = Swingweight - in this case D2

F code indicates 1984 production year; H code indicates 1986 production year; K code indicates 1987 production year.

Shade

[quote name='Shade Ruff' timestamp='1423240676' post='10899065']
[/quote]

[/quote]

HoganApexBlades,

G = 1985
72 = PC model number

F code indicates 1984 production year; H code indicates 1986 production year; K code indicates 1987 production year.

Shade
[/quote]

Shade, thank you for your reply. I am somewhat perplexed though based on the fact that I did have my clubs made for me and I didn't order them until 1987. Do you think I was shipped a set of PC's (1-SW) where the majority of them were built 2 years prior?

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

[quote name='HoganApexBlades' timestamp='1423245426' post='10899777']
[/quote]

[/quote]

HoganApexBlades,

G = 1985
72 = PC model number

Shade
[/quote]

Shade, thank you for your reply. I am somewhat perplexed though based on the fact that I did have my clubs made for me and I didn't order them until 1987. Do you think I was shipped a set of PC's (1-SW) where the majority of them were built 2 years prior?
[/quote]

HoganApexBlades,

It is possible if they still had 1985 production year inventory in stock - it is difficult to say. That said, however, I note you also have a set of PCs with Apex Extra shafts. Could it be that's the PC set you ordered in 1987? I'm guessing the serial/registration number on that set is K72142. K indicates a 1987 production year and the 1 indicates it's fitted with the Apex Extra shaft.

Shade

[quote name='Shade Ruff' timestamp='1423247443' post='10900109']
[quote name='HoganApexBlades' timestamp='1423245426' post='10899777']
[/quote]

[/quote]

HoganApexBlades,

G = 1985
72 = PC model number

Shade
[/quote]

[/quote]

HoganApexBlades,

It is possible if they still had 1985 production year inventory in stock - it is difficult to say. That said, however, I note you also have a set of PCs with Apex Extra shafts. Could it be that's the PC set you ordered in 1987? I'm guessing the serial/registration number on that set is K72142. K indicates a 1987 production year and the 1 indicates it's fitted with the Apex Extra shaft.

Shade
[/quote]

No, I picked up the PC's with the Apex Extra #4 shafts last summer at a local Goodwill. They were another find of the year. I'll check the serial numbers on those this weekend. Those were definitely made in '87 based on that shaft availability. May I ask where you get your information from?

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

[quote name='HoganApexBlades' timestamp='1423252994' post='10900841']

No, I picked up the PC's with the Apex Extra #4 shafts last summer at a local Goodwill. They were another find of the year. I'll check the serial numbers on those this weekend. Those were definitely made in '87 based on that shaft availability. May I ask where you get your information from?
[/quote]

HoganApexBlades,

Located somewhere on this forum is a post that includes a couple of attachments that offer the decode procedures for Ben Hogan registration numbers. While not all inclusive, it's a good resource.

Shade

[quote name='Shade Ruff' timestamp='1423253461' post='10900883']
[quote name='HoganApexBlades' timestamp='1423252994' post='10900841']

[/quote]

HoganApexBlades,

Located somewhere on this forum is a post that includes a couple of attachments that offer the decode procedures for Ben Hogan registration numbers. While not all inclusive, it's a good resource.

Shade
[/quote]

If you know the topic or have the link, it would be much appreciated!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Just curious, do the 99s have a visible serial number? I have a set that I have no doubt is genuine but there is no serial number on the ferrule.
I suppose they might have been reshafted and the ferrules replaced but the shafts are Apex 4s and the ferrules have the two red bands, which feels like original spec to me.

[quote name='SteveNZ' timestamp='1423254930' post='10901049']
Just curious, do the 99s have a visible serial number? I have a set that I have no doubt is genuine but there is no serial number on the ferrule.
I suppose they might have been reshafted and the ferrules replaced but the shafts are Apex 4s and the ferrules have the two red bands, which feels like original spec to me.
[/quote]

SteveNZ,

Spalding-era Hogans often carried a registration number on a separate shaft label/sticker just below the factory-installed grip. This label was silver colored.

Shade