2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Frank Stranahan

Okesa,
I am fond of all MacGregors, but the 693, M-85, and M-43 are probably my favorite of the well known Macs. I do have a special interest in the MacGregor Toney Penna's. Their slightly smaller driver heads seemed to be made for swingers and shotmakers as opposed to powerhitters. That is suprising since Stranahan used these as opposed to any of the MacGregor Jumbos. The TP1W's, RS2W's, and Penna Specials are some of the nicest looking woods MacGregor made IMO. I do like some of the Jumbos too, like the M09LFF and any Jumbos with the keysite inserts. Oh, I give up, I love them all!!! Like trying to pick a favorite child. MacGregor woods from the late 1940's through the mid 1960's were simply the finest persimmon clubs ever made. The fact that every other company copied their shapes, inserts, soleplates, and finishes makes that more fact than opinion.
By the way, other than the insert and sole plate, the WW Specials were all white including the faces. It was almost hard to tell they were wood. They were more like jewelry, a diamond covered Rolex if you will. Maybe it was that flashiness that appealed to the flamboyant Stranahan.
Reporters once asked Ben Hogan if he was intimidated by playing with Stranahan, a famously long hitter. Hogan pointed to the par 4 first hole at the tournament site and asked " can he drive that green?" When the reporter told him no, Hogan replied "well I can hit it in two."
Keith

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[size="3"]Thanks for your contributions guys,great pics from MoaningM,now we can see what Keith meant about the red writing but even so they do have an appeal and must have caused a few 'Aaahs' when the headcover came off!
Mocokid's anecdote about Byron Nelson is good fun,did he teach Frank Stranahan to play I wonder?Yes,he could certainly play and received a lot of unfair criticism for continuing to play during WW2 even though medically exempt and raised a lot of money for charitable causes.His stroke average for that period was remarkable especially considering the condition of many of the courses which were far from the manicured wonders than we see today.
Keith,I'm not familiar with all those models (yet,I'm working on it!) but have to agree with you.There is something very special about them and without wishing to sound too romantic or soppy they have the feel of a living thing,a personality and individualism that just doesn't exist in modern hardware.
They were created from the natural elements of air,earth,fire and water combined with the knowledge and skill of the craftsmen who produced them and the very best of them verge on being works of art,certainly masterpieces of design.
Same with the old time pro's and that comment could only be Ben Hogan,I don't think anybody worried him on the golf course he knew exactly what he had to do to win.Jimmy often talked about Ben Hogan and I only came to realise just how good he was when many years later after Jimmy had passed on I was given a tape of 'Shell's Wonderful World of Golf',Ben Hogan vs Sam Snead from the Houston Country Club,it's now available to see on YouTube and is simply awesome as a display of ball striking and control,finding every fairway and every green and putting for either birdie or eagle on every hole.
Nostalgia?Maybe but I'd sooner watch reruns of old tournaments with PROPER woods and irons than modern golf which has become no more than a putting contest.[/size]

Off the original topic, but we're there any boutique builders in tha era that really stood out. I learned how to play in the late 80s on a hand me down set from my grandfather and I even carried the 5 wood through college golf in the mid 90s until it literally disintegrated in my hands. It was made for him and I need to pull it out to check the specs, but just curious if there were small time guys that really wowed the players of the 60s and 70s?

[quote name='okesa' timestamp='1327442095' post='4146513']
[size="3"]Thanks for your contributions guys,great pics from MoaningM,now we can see what Keith meant about the red writing but even so they do have an appeal and must have caused a few 'Aaahs' when the headcover came off!
Mocokid's anecdote about Byron Nelson is good fun,did he teach Frank Stranahan to play I wonder?Yes,he could certainly play and received a lot of unfair criticism for continuing to play during WW2 even though medically exempt and raised a lot of money for charitable causes.His stroke average for that period was remarkable especially considering the condition of many of the courses which were far from the manicured wonders than we see today.
Keith,I'm not familiar with all those models (yet,I'm working on it!) but have to agree with you.There is something very special about them and without wishing to sound too romantic or soppy they have the feel of a living thing,a personality and individualism that just doesn't exist in modern hardware.
They were created from the natural elements of air,earth,fire and water combined with the knowledge and skill of the craftsmen who produced them and the very best of them verge on being works of art,certainly masterpieces of design.
Same with the old time pro's and that comment could only be Ben Hogan,I don't think anybody worried him on the golf course he knew exactly what he had to do to win.Jimmy often talked about Ben Hogan and I only came to realise just how good he was when many years later after Jimmy had passed on I was given a tape of 'Shell's Wonderful World of Golf',Ben Hogan vs Sam Snead from the Houston Country Club,it's now available to see on YouTube and is simply awesome as a display of ball striking and control,finding every fairway and every green and putting for either birdie or eagle on every hole.
Nostalgia?Maybe but I'd sooner watch reruns of old tournaments with PROPER woods and irons than modern golf which has become no more than a putting contest.[/size]
[/quote]

Okesa-
+1
There is something special about this match.
Hogan even said so.
And yes, both Hogan and Snead would be 100 this year. Along with Byron Nelson.

[size="3"]There's some really interesting footage to be found here,British Pathe provided newsreel footage for cinemas and brief films were shown as previews or during the interludes when the ice cream seller came round.
You should find 1947 Walker Cup clip from St Andrews,1951 Walker Cup from Birkdale and 1953 Open Championship from Carnoustie.
'53 Open will make you smile I'm sure,Ben Hogan gets a mention but the focus is on Commonwealth players and I'm sure this was not an intentional 'snub',I'm sure that the golfing public in Britain at that time had no idea about how good he actually was.

Frank Stranahan appears in all three with a great looking swing.

[url="http://www.britishpathe.com/video/walker-cup-golf-aka-pathe-front-page"]http://www.britishpathe.com/video/walker-cup-golf-aka-pathe-front-page[/url][/size]

Okesa-

I'll see your '55 MacGregor Colokrom Tourney "TP" iron set......

[attachment=996717:100_9806.JPG]

which Charley Penna has already noted was a "special" run with the iron stamps at the heel....

and raise you a MacGregor Tommy Armour oil hardened 945 Brassie

[attachment=996719:100_9751.JPG]

the person who owns these has a few clubs from this period......

And if anyone is interested, let me know. Included is a photo of the face of the "TP" Colokrom Tourney iron. (my apologies)

[attachment=996791:100_9805.JPG]

[quote name='The Gachet' timestamp='1327524009' post='4151437']
So this is where you are hiding then, excellent thread mate and very educational too ! :good:
[/quote]

Lol, Gachet your a man who also enjoys his percy, and as you remarked - top thread! Sadly not enough of these sort of threads.

[size="3"]Thanks guys,rex235,sadly not mine,I'm one of those either blessed or cursed depending on your pov that plays from the other side of the ball!So I have to take what I can find;Mac Tommy Armour Silver Scot Tourney 945 with double duty wedge and a look into the 'furniture' department,two drivers,a brassie and a 4-wood with aluminium face insert.[/size]

[size="3"]Bag is shared with Jack Nicklaus Muirfields,Muirfield 20th are in different bag but if I could only have ONE set of irons they would be the lefty version of MT85 wingback Colokroms.[/size]

Okesa-

Nice collection....

So.... you play golf left handed?

[i]How about that!

[/i]And the ONE set.....

1955 MacGregor LH Tourney Colokroms.... with the"TP" stamp.....

[attachment=997215:100_9346.JPG]

and perhaps you wouldn't mind a view of these either..... LH MacGregor EOM M80s....

[attachment=997223:golfclubs 004.jpg]

Take a view of the "LH MacGregor Persimmon Drivers" thread...

Welcome.....

[size="3"]Apologies if I'm going over old ground but did Toney Penna design the winged MT motif that appears on these clubs?And in the photo of Frank Stranahan with Peter Thomson they appear to have the same or similar putters,is anyone able to identify what they are?[/size]
[size="3"]They look to be an aluminium headed mallet with wry neck,make anyone?[/size]

[quote name='okesa' timestamp='1327576896' post='4154893']
[size="3"]Apologies if I'm going over old ground but did Toney Penna design the winged MT motif that appears on these clubs?And in the photo of Frank Stranahan with Peter Thomson they appear to have the same or similar putters,is anyone able to identify what they are?[/size]
[size="3"]They look to be an aluminium headed mallet with wry neck,make anyone?[/size]
[/quote]

Toney was responsible for not only the mts, but also every club MacGregor produced from per 1940 till he left the company. He got the idea for the MTs from a club in a barrel in his father's attic he had left in Harrison, NY where he grew up. My grandmother wouldnot allow smoking I the house, so the men would have to go into the attic after dinner to puff. The old club barrel had many wood shafted clubs from Scotland.

CHARLEY PENNA

[quote name='okesa' timestamp='1327576896' post='4154893']
[/quote]

Toney had a putter in the line labeled. B-UP, OR BEE UP, WHICH LOOKED SIMILAR. I CANNOT RECALL SPECIFICALLY.

CHARLEY PENNA

I also had a MacGregor Toney Penna B-Up putter. I really liked it, but one of the guys in the Pro Shop at my course had tried every putter you could think of to no avail. Finally he tried my B-up, and fell in love. I loaned it to him but have never got it back. Jamie, could I have it back now?
The bad thing about the MacGregor mallets is that because of the soft nature of the aluminum, they got real beat up, real fast. Thay being said, I thought it was the best feeling aluminum putter I ever tried. Even better than the Ray Cook model Nancy Lopez made famous.
Keith

[size="3"]They are similar to the Mills and Braid Mills putters that were also mallet style and made from a soft alloy which was ideal for adjusting the weight by adding lead and also the lie.
I used to play a Ray Cook M1-SL early 80's,great putter but certainly a lot harder than earlier putters,I think they went through an anodizing or hardening process to help them withstand knocks.
I have two lefty Ray Cooks in my putter bag.[/size]

Here are a couplle of cool macgregor Toney Penna Putters, One the B-Up that Charlie mentioned with steel shaft and leather grip, and a 209T with brown fiberglass shaft and leather grip.

[quote name='okesa' timestamp='1327623652' post='4158731']
[size="3"]They are similar to the Mills and Braid Mills putters that were also mallet style and made from a soft alloy which was ideal for adjusting the weight by adding lead and also the lie.
I used to play a Ray Cook M1-SL early 80's,great putter but certainly a lot harder than earlier putters,I think they went through an anodizing or hardening process to help them withstand knocks.
I have two lefty Ray Cooks in my putter bag.[/size]
[/quote]

[size="3"]Thank you for posting those,the 'B-Up' looks to be a more refined version of the two I had posted previously with the addition of the sighting lines,it's a good looking putter,no wonder Keith's man has not returned it!

Slightly off-topic but had to post,it's just arrived (5 mins ago) from Texas and apologies for photo quality,TP65L driver,bought to play with but may be too pretty![/size]

Okesa-

Nice find!

Didn't know Toney Penna made any TP 65Ls.... only saw MOD 12s in LH.

Notice the soleplate does not have "Toney Penna" stamp around the weight port, as it is for all the RH TP models....

Hope Charley can show some more of his TP "virgin" collection.....

And thanks to Freddie and Dave Wood, here's what I got from Texas....

[attachment=998973:100_9870.JPG]

[size="3"]Perhaps I should clarify,when I said Texas I literally meant the State of Texas not the company,apologies for any confusion caused!
I had and used a Model 12 driver '80's through to the mid 90's and foolishly sold it.I saw this on a well known international auction site,the ONLY lefty Toney Penna driver I could find and was pleased to buy it.Below are original pics which are much clearer than mine and I'm not fussed that it has been refinished.[/size]

[size="3"]majic,Mr Moore,apologies for not making the connection with such a distinguished figure first time round,as a relative newcomer I'm still not completely au fait with the 'who is who' of these pages and if you don't mind would like to hear some more about that period and about you and how far into golf you were at that time and what was it that impressed you most about Frank Stranahan?[/size]

[size="3"]There is a very good article to be found at the external link which I'm adding which mentions the very tragic events in Frank Stranahan's personal life which I was completely unaware of and more about his exclusion from The Masters ,altogether a sad but interesting read.
The legacy of the Stranahans continues to this day with philanthropic and charitable works to help the less fortunate and Frank is remembered by the Toledo Junior Golf Association with their Frank Stranahan Award,presented to a junior golfer who not only has fine playing abilities but also"they must display those qualities of fair play,honesty,respect for fellow competitors,sportsmanship and dedication."

Thanks to all those who have contributed,if the thread has made just a few more people aware of one of the greatest amateur golfers ever than it has achieved its purpose.

Article link; [url="http://157.166.224.103/augusta/stories/040698/gp/gpstranahan.html"]http://157.166.224.103/augusta/stories/040698/gp/gpstranahan.html[/url][/size]