2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Frank Stranahan

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took a while to find this thread but pleased to see it still exists and hope that the following images will be of interest,they are taken from Louis T Stanley's book 'Master Golfers In Action' published in 1950 and bursting with his photographs of the top golfers of that time.

Louis Stanley was a scratch golfer who had a great understanding of the golf swing and an ability to take pictures which captured the elements of an individual swing,I have managed to find a number of his books which provide a terrific insight into golf of the late '40's and 1950's.

Later in life Louis Stanley was the boss of the BRM Grand Prix racing team.

There were a lot of silver spoons in the amateur game back in the day. Grouville senior hung around with Walker Cuppers and a lot were very wealthy.

A mate of his from The Addington was John De Forest, British Amateur champion from some time in the 1930s, who was titled, some sort of count, Dutch aristocracy. He is the one who hit a ball onto a bank by some water at Augusta, removed one sock and shoe, but was so hungover had taken off the wrong ones, leaving the naked foot dry on the bank and the shoed foot in the pond.

Well yes,golf south of the border with Scotland was the preserve of the wealthy and upper classes until comparatively recent times but those 'silver spoons' played the game with style and respect for the traditions of golf.

Although golf may have been an elitist pastime I'm not sure if that's not a better place to be than where we are currently with clubs abandoning or diluting codes of conduct and dress in order to appease those who think dressing smartly and behaving properly are old-fashioned and stuffy.

The amateur game was still significant in its own right and not as now considered to be a breeding-ground for future professionals,many of the top amateurs remained in the unpaid ranks (Frank Stranahan did turn pro),it may have been the 1960's that saw the amateur to pro floodgates open,rapidly increasing prize money and numbers of tournaments leading to the end of the symbiosis that had existed between the two codes and diminished interest in amateur golf as a major sporting event.

Do you happen to know Dr Nigel Gracey of La Moye?

The very same!

Fascinating man,I was able to do him some small kindness in the past and was rewarded with a day out at Sunningdale as his guest along with his brother Lionel.

Played Sunningdale Old in the morning and the New in the afternoon,the most memorable day in my golfing life on two superb courses combined with gracious (no pun!) hosts who provided a flow of anecdotes and commentary about the courses and golfers they had known.

I had heard that he was unwell but if senior is in touch please pass on my very best regards from 'Chris at the Welcombe'.

Yes,the Hogan fag-end,do give about the car,the Honda?

I've always wondered which irons Stranahan favoured,I know that Macgregor produced a 'Frank Stranahan' set but that was after he had turned professional,I have seen a picture of him at Troon in 1950 and the iron he's using looks like an M-85 wingback blade which would have been the pre-Colokrom version I guess.

Interesting to look at the grips too,they appear to be built up,parallel corded grips,perhaps Mr Penna has some information on those?

I've always wondered which irons Stranahan favoured,I know that Macgregor produced a 'Frank Stranahan' set but that was after he had turned professional,I have seen a picture of him at Troon in 1950 and the iron he's using looks like an M-85 wingback blade which would have been the pre-Colokrom version I guess.

Interesting to look at the grips too,they appear to be built up,parallel corded grips,perhaps Mr Penna has some information on those?

Definitely Macgregor irons, Charley Penna would know more. Wonder which woods ?

As a pro Frank was the only MacGregor staff member that I know of who used the white woods. He used MacGregor equipment as an amateur, but I am not positive which models.I don't like to guess. My assumption would be based on his being a great friend of Toney Pennaand his purist nature. In my opinion ,he turned pro because he had no more worlds to conquer as an amateur. He was a great bad weather player evinced by his record in Europe.

When I read this topic from the beginning, it gave me the urge to post that the picture of the Walker Cup team may have been one of the greatest collection of amateurs ever. Sam Urzetta , one of the lesser owns, had a great record. The clothes exemplify class and demeanor. Charlie Coe was the greatest am who never turned pro behind only Bobbie Jones. I had the privilege of spending an evening at Castle Pines before he died. He gave me a well used Toney Penna wedge with his name on the shaft band.

The comments on his going to the British Open would cause me to inject my opinion. He could give up playing in the USA and afford to take the time off because if you were "the champion player of the year" you still lost money. Very few Americans went. The

PGA CHAMPIONSHIP in America conflicted with the OPEN. Pros couldn't afford to give up the money and time. That is why Hogan only went once. When Snead won at St. Andrews, the chairman gave him a check which didn't cover his trip. He asked Sam if he would be defending next year. Sam replied,"are you kidding".

CHARLEY PENNA

Apologies for the diversion, but quick story about a car. Old Rolls Royce, one of the hand-built ones. Mate of mine working in his garage and this is driven in with the owner looking for a new bulb for the headlight.

Obviously not off the shelf stuff, so weeks of phone calls followed as that is how things were done before the interweb. Finds one, calls the guy who says he has already found one because he "rang the man who built it".

Howled at that!He always wore such a serious face but occasionally would drop a line like that not realising how funny it was.

Never saw the Roller,in Stratford it was a little Honda sports job that he had to extract that lanky frame from,sometimes with difficulty!

He was the first person I ever heard speak about Tiger Woods,mid '96 he predicted that Woods would win the Masters in '97.

Great believer in innovation and new tricks of the trade,a Yonex (?) all graphite driver comes to mind...

Cambridge Blue I believe,member of the R&A and psychology coach to Tour players,a fairly sparkling and comprehensive golfing resume in all.

great stories gents

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

As a pro Frank was the only MacGregor staff member that I know of who used the white woods. He used MacGregor equipment as an amateur, but I am not positive which models.I don't like to guess. My assumption would be based on his being a great friend of Toney Pennaand his purist nature. In my opinion ,he turned pro because he had no more worlds to conquer as an amateur. He was a great bad weather player evinced by his record in Europe.

When I read this topic from the beginning, it gave me the urge to post that the picture of the Walker Cup team may have been one of the greatest collection of amateurs ever. Sam Urzetta , one of the lesser owns, had a great record. The clothes exemplify class and demeanor. Charlie Coe was the greatest am who never turned pro behind only Bobbie Jones. I had the privilege of spending an evening at Castle Pines before he died. He gave me a well used Toney Penna wedge with his name on the shaft band.

The comments on his going to the British Open would cause me to inject my opinion. He could give up playing in the USA and afford to take the time off because if you were "the champion player of the year" you still lost money. Very few Americans went. The

PGA CHAMPIONSHIP in America conflicted with the OPEN. Pros couldn't afford to give up the money and time. That is why Hogan only went once. When Snead won at St. Andrews, the chairman gave him a check which didn't cover his trip. He asked Sam if he would be defending next year. Sam replied,"are you kidding".

CHARLEY PENNA

Charley-

+1 with the Walker Cup photo

It was also my understanding Frank Stranahan was tutored by Byron Nelson.

The money clip Bill Campbell won as long driver at one Masters was with him the rest of his life (Campbell beat Sam Snead by a yard with one of Sam's back up Drivers.)

The US Am finalists....

Bob Sweeney (not Frank Stranahan) who lost to Arnold Palmer,

Charlie Coe lost to Jack Nicklaus.

Thanks again "Two books easy.."

• 4 months later...

Couple of updates which might be of interest,please forgive me if this is 'old news',I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to finding stuff but have just come across a group on Facebook "Friends of Frank R. Stranahan" administered by Mr Robert Reifert if you care to take a look.

Also on a well known auction site are two lots of Macregor interest,a Frank Stranahan putter and a set of Frank Stranahan irons which are,in my view,a bit special.

If you read this Mr Penna perhaps you could give some insight into the 'Mitey M' logo on these,is this a play on words or letters as in the M of MT?

Did uncle Toney have any input with these,the chequerboard effect looks like something he might have thought up?

Anyone have a lefty set of these?(I can only dream!)

Chris-

After looking at the Kaplan MacGregor Catalog for the last 5 years, and studying their sporting goods store lines, to my knowledge MacGregor did NOT offer a LH set of Frank Stranahan signature irons.

Sadly, RH Only.

..and trust me....

we've been looking.

Frank was one of our finest amateurs ever to play the game. His record is only slightly behind Bobby Jones. I watched him as a young man. Wish I could have great piece of his history. The Inverness club in Toledo has a areat spot showing his records.

Tad-

Have a great friend who told me his Dad was a good friend of Frank Stranahan. My friend also told me Stranahan gave his Dad one of his Drivers.

Will try to confirm, and get a photo of the club for all the Wrxers.

Update May 1, 2017.... Have 3 photos of the MacGregor "Frank Stranahan" Signature Driver.

Tell Otey thanks again for the work on the LH Square shafted putter.

• 9 months later...

Frank was one of our finest amateurs ever to play the game. His record is only slightly behind Bobby Jones. I watched him as a young man. Wish I could have great piece of his history. The Inverness club in Toledo has a areat spot showing his records.

Tad-

The club came back today. Did you say something about making a LH one?

Am glad I could help. Hope everything worked out for you.

Thank you Geoff for finding this for me and having just re-read the whole thing very big thanks to all those who contributed.

I wanted to add the Stranahan victory over 'The King' to this thread as seen on Youtube but that's elsewhere however I can add a bit of Frank Stranahan memorabilia with some pics of the putter I bought on ebay US a few months back.

I think it likely to have come from the Brunswick ers of Macgregor ownership and more than likely to have been a store-line club but where else do I as a lefty golfer find a tangible reminder of the man in the form of a club that I can use?

Leather grip,stubby head but heavy for its size,I used it a few weeks ago and made a nice 5-footer on the last for par,walked off with a smile!

• 2 weeks later...