2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Frank Stranahan

Gentlemen,years ago I was fortunate enough to play regularly with an old Walker Cup player who represented Great Britain and Ireland in 1947 and 1953,his name was James C. Wilson,known to all as 'Jimmy' and when I first met him in the early '80's was still playing with his Colorkrom's and persimmon Macgregor woods.

Jimmy had watched Ben Hogan win at Carnoustie and one day I asked him if it was true that Hogan was so accurate with his driving he would end up in the divots from his previous round.

He said'I don't know which idiot dreamed that story up,why would he want to be in his old divots?He would be a yard left or right of it depending on where the flag was.'

He also talked of the great amateurs that he'd played with or against and frequently mentioned Frank 'Muscles' Stranahan,I've seen many pictures and read about the man and wondered if any members had any anecdotes about him or information on the clubs that he used.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He drove a Cadillac because it had the strongest suspension which he needed because he traveled with a ton of weights for working out. So, when you hear that Gary Player started the fitness craze, don't believe it. I've always heard that Stranahan was a real character, which from the stories about him seems to be true.

I've always had a ton of respect for the fact that he was crossing the pond for the Open Championship every year, when others weren't. Hogan, Snead (while they won the thing!), and Nelson and the others weren't doing that, but Stranahan did. Now a big reason why those players didn't go was money, and Stranahan didn't worry too much about that, but before Arnie brought the Open back on the map, Stranahan recognized its importance and played year after year. So, again he had his own path, it seems.

okesa:

Good post!

Having done some reading about Mr. Stranahan in the past - I always wondered why Gary Player got all
the accolades regarding fitness and golf - when Frank Stranahan basically beat him to the punch by 10
to 15 years. How easily people forget about different generations and their accomplishments/"ways".

How many people can say they were one of the top ranked amateur golfers,and power lifters in weightlifting
circles at the same time? Frank Stranahan was from 1945-1954.

Your post got me curious - so I googled him. He is still alive apparently (90 years old later this year), and
something that surprised me - I did not know that he placed first in the National Weightlifting Championships
in the summer of 1992 in the over 60 (Masters) division in his weight class. Lets see Gary Player beat that!

"Spoilt little rich kid" or not, you still have to actually do those things - money can't buy the accomplishment.

[size="3"]I was spurred on to posting this by reading a different thread which spoke of great amateur golfers of yesteryear,Charles Coe,H. Ward et al and of course the US produced the finest amateur ever in Bobby Jones.I was also told about the Turnesa brothers especially Willie 'The Wedge' who apparently gave an impromptu demonstration of how to check a golf ball INSIDE the R&A clubhouse at St Andrews one night after a formal dinner using his wedge and spinning balls to a stop on the carpet!
I always thought that 'Muscles' absolutely looked the mutt's nuts and had great style,well,they almost ALL did,well cut trousers,those skinny belts,two-tone shoes,great looking golf bags and the clubs,the CLUBS,Mac irons and persimmons mostly I guess but all oozing a class that's missing today.
[/size]

[quote name='okesa' timestamp='1327103100' post='4127035']
[size="3"]I was spurred on to posting this by reading a different thread which spoke of great amateur golfers of yesteryear,Charles Coe,H. Ward et al and of course the US produced the finest amateur ever in Bobby Jones.I was also told about the Turnesa brothers especially Willie 'The Wedge' who apparently gave an impromptu demonstration of how to check a golf ball INSIDE the R&A clubhouse at St Andrews one night after a formal dinner using his wedge and spinning balls to a stop on the carpet!
I always thought that 'Muscles' absolutely looked the mutt's nuts and had great style,well,they almost ALL did,well cut trousers,those skinny belts,two-tone shoes,great looking golf bags and the clubs,the CLUBS,Mac irons and persimmons mostly I guess but all oozing a class that's missing today.
[/size]
[/quote]

Do not forget Johnny Goodman, the last am to win the US Open, read his biography if you can. Hardscrabble upbringing in Tulsa, great book, great story.

I'd never heard of him before but a bit of googling throws up some really interesting bits of info.

From wikipedia:

Frank Richard Stranahan (born August 5, 1922)[/url] was a successful amateur golf champion. Stranahan was also the number one power lifter in his weight class from 1945 to 1954 and he became known on the golf course and off as the "Toledo strongman" long before the modern game of golf and fitness. After he retired from golf, he became a prolific runner, competing in over 100 marathons.

Stranahan was born in Toledo, Ohio, and now resides in West Palm Beach, Florida. During his amateur career spanning from 1936 to 1954 he won over 70 amateur championships. His greatest accomplishments was that he was a finalist in over a dozen national championships, winning seven. He won two major championships (as they were counted at the time) the 1948 and 1950 British Amateur. Stranahan was runner-up in five other major championships including the British Amateur, The Masters, The Open Championship and the U.S.Amateur. He won the Canadian Amateur Championship in 1947 and 1948. He won the Tam O'Shanter All-American Amateur six consecutive years from 1948 to 1953. His globetrotting allowed him to compete in over 200 tournaments across three continents during his amateur career.

Stranahan was born into a wealthy family. His father, R.A. Stranahan, was the founder of Champion Spark Plug. His father's millions allowed Frank to concentrate on golf. He remained an amateur most of his career, finally turning pro in 1954 after losing to Arnold Palmer in the 1954 U.S. Amateur. As a pro, his greatest victory was the 1958 Los Angeles Open. Stranahan retired from competitive golf in the mid-1960s.

However, Stranahan's greatest personal feat, a footnote in anglo history, is that he helped save a British tradition unequal in world sporting competition, The Open Championship. After World War II, when most American golfers ignored competing "across the pond", Stranahan competed in eight consecutive Open Championships. His personal support, along with the 1961 and 1962 wins of Arnold Palmer, revived, sustained, and returned the greatness of the Open Championship.

100 Marathons !!!!

As Bella said, he may have been born with a silver spoon in his mouth, but he clearly had the discipline and the dedication to succeed in multiple different fields. I can quite see why he was a hero to people growing up in his era.

And how's this for sporting "cross-over" - I don't think Gary Player ever made the front cover of a Bodybuilding magazine!

41nmsIRq%2B1L._SL500_AA300_.jpgstranahan_deadlift.jpg

There is a set of MacGregor Frank Stranahan irons on eBay right now ... nice looking set as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MacGregor-Frank-Stranahan-500-Iron-Set-2-9-Vintage-Collectible-Very-Rare-Irons-/250959469697?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item3a6e599c81

-104742509594696971.jpg

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

[size="3"]Great find!They are indeed nice looking irons and show those little details that typify the clubs of that era,framing lines on the face,knurling on the hosel and nicely finished ferrules,so many of those old Macs just have a certain look about them that you don't see in modern clubs.
My comment about Frank Stranahan was not intended as a slur but was how many people on this side of the Atlantic viewed him at that time,you have to bear in mind that this was just after WW2 and Britain had been at war for six years,food was still rationed and it was a time of great austerity,there is no doubt whatsoever about his commitment to take on and beat the best players regardless of status and his record is pretty remarkable.
I have read that at one tournament in the UK he came to the last hole needing an eagle two to win and after hitting a good drive had a 9-iron left and walked up to the green a couple of times trying to get a feel for the shot,however the partisan British crowd got restless and started muttering at what they considered to be slow play.'Muscles' hit his shot straight at the pin,it finished an inch away from going in and the jeers turned to cheers as the crowd applauded his effort and recognised his skill.[/size]

[size="3"]One of my favourite golf stories involves both Frank Stranhan and Willie Turnesa when they met in the 1947 Amateur Championship played over the Carnoustie Links.Turnesa was just edging the match and noticed that Stranahan was taking careful note of which club Turnesa's caddy was taking out,the caddy tried to conceal the club selection but Turnesa told him not to bother and to let him have a good look and at some point then switched headcovers between the straight-faced 3-wood that he carried and his 4-wood.
Arriving at the very tough par 3 16th Turnesa had the honour,took a look and loudly said to his caddy;"We'll go with the 4-wood".His shot soared toward the green and tailed off to fall pin high.
Frank followed suite,took his 4-wood and cracked a shot which landed 20 yards short of the green,a slightly puzzled look on his face.
Willie won the match and the Championship.
This was the same course where a few years later in 1953 Frank Stranahan finished 2nd in the Open Championship won by Ben Hogan.[/size]

Great story okesa - I guess lesson learned for Turnesa, one that all of
us have probably experienced in tournament play to some extent at one point
or another, (peeking into someones bag for club selection & being fooled).

Bella (and I am sure Blade Junkie too) did not take your comment about Stranahan
and his family's money as a slur - I knew what you meant.

I am just impressed by the fact that despite having every "opportunity" to not do
a whole lot with his life (because of the money) - he did (and excelled at what
he did end up doing).

A lot of people in that situation don't end up doing what he did in my experience.

[size="3"]Yes,I totally agree with you,I've met the other sort too!
BTW I was trying to get an image to post of Frank playing in the 1950 Open with the eventual winner Bobby Locke,he's hitting an iron and it looks like the batwing muscle Macgregor (is it M85?),I wonder if the signature set that was posted was produced after he had turned pro?
Perhaps Mr Penna might know?[/size]

I was introduced to Frank Stranahan at TamoShanter by Toney Penna. He commented that Iooked rather "bookish" -translate it " nerdy" , since I was not ripped and was destined to be the trusted guy who handled the money. He was a great amateur player. He gave Toney's son a set of bar bells. In those days, most of the pros travelled by car since many of the summer tour events were in Michigan, Ohio, and Illinois. It also made it more convenient to transport the bar bells in a Cadillac rather than a plane. He was the only pro who used the white glazed finish woods. Actually, he was the only guy who Toney could get to use them. The general opinion was they were distracting. The finish was on the face and chipped easily if you missed a tee shot. It also yellowed from the chemicals on the grass. It was my opinion that he turned pro because he had won everything an amateur could win at that time. Cliff Roberts had him removed from playing in the Masters . The excuse was he played too many practice shots, but many other rumors were rampant as to the real reason.

CHARLEY PENNA

Charley,
As I stated on another post yesterday, I agree with you on the distraction factor of the Macgregor Penna WW's. I found it really hard to get used to looking at the set I had. The glazed finish on the face, the red script, and the insert was just too much at once. I think it was more overwhelming than the new Taylormade R11's. It's too bad because it was a nice set, just too glitzy.
Keith

[size="3"]Mr Penna,thank you for your post,first class stuff and forgive my ignorance but I knew nothing about white glazed woods made at that time which I guess must be either VERY rare or non existent if people refinished them after the original glaze had become discoloured.
Really does make me smile too because earlier today I emailed a friend about Japanese clubs and said that in my view they are mostly copies of either Tommy Armour or Toney Penna designs with minor tweaks and to read now about white woods being introduced back then just shows how it all turns full circle.[/size]

[quote name='okesa' timestamp='1327279549' post='4136789']
[size="3"]Woods under discussion and Frank Stranahan with a young Peter Thomson.[/size]
[/quote]

I was at the MacGregor annual planning meeting with my dad. Toney gave me the key to his personal store room where the best of the custom clubs were stored. My job was to take a guy Norman Von Nida(, tp's close friend )had sent to the Us from Australia for a set of clubs. We spent about an hour wiggling and weighing clubs. He picked out a set of mt wingbacks ( I don't remember the year, but it was around 1955). When we put the clubs on a swing weight scale, we were both surprised at the c9 reading. I recall a great dinner at a place I think was called something like the Petite marmite. The guy's name was Peter Thompson

CHARLEY PENNA

[size="3"]Wonderful story Mr Penna,I guess that back then that was all part of the daily routine and you had no way of knowing what great champions these guys were going to be.
Old Pro,would you be kind enough to post a witb from back then and what about golf balls of that period,I've heard different stories about players not using their contract ball because other companies had a better product (nothing changes!) but what was number one choice for pro golfers?

[/size]

Okesa,
I'm sure Mr. Penna would be a better person to ask, as I wasn't born until 1965. It is my understanding that the Acushnet ball (Titleist) was popular as well as the Macgregor balls although some pros weren't completely satisfied with them. I know Ben Hogan often used the Spalding Dot ball as well.
Keith

Wish I knew more about the days when my dad was a member at Inverness. I do remember him talking about playing with Mr. Nelson. And Mr. Stanahan
I was also born in Toledo. I lived on Northwood ave. near the intersection of Monroe and Central. The freeway goes right thru our livingromm now!

Frank stranahan played a lot of his golf at Inverness Club in Toledo ( I work there) and was very instrumental in getting some major events here. There is a theatre here in Toledo named after him. " the stranahan theatre".
[/quote]

[size="3"]Frank Stranahan played in the 1947 Masters and tied for 2nd place with Byron Nelson behind winner Jimmy Demaret,incredible to think of an amateur golfer playing at that level and testament to his ability.
The following year during his practice round he was informed on the 8th green that his invitation had been withdrawn because he had allegedly hit more than one ball in practice which was against the Augusta rules which apparently to this day Frank Stranahan denies and says he only put further balls down on the green for putting.
He was however invited the following year.
So Mr Penna,sounds like you are right about other stuff going on!

Thanks Robert,hope you have found the thread interesting,he's a man who doesn't deserve to be forgotten.

Keith,apologies but you 'sounded' older than you are!I wrongly assumed that you had played those woods as a pro,the assumption was boosted by your 'Old Pro' handle!!![/size]

[size="3"]Thanks Keith,you're still a young man then!Do you have any real favourites from Macgregor?The Toney Penna WW woods were probably beyond the reach of the average golfer at $100 a set in 1954 although I don't suppose that's who they were made for as they feature on the 'Professional' pages.
I assume that as they are described as 'glazed' that the white colouring was part of the overall final finish rather than a coating of the block which was then varnished over,I have to say that the current TM white clubs do nothing for me,they just look like any other driver but dipped in emulsion paint.however,the concept of a persimmon block in white with red lettering I do find intriguing and Toney Penna must have had some reason for going down that road.[/size]

Great thread, we need more like this one.
Anyone read or hear this story about Frank and Byron?? Seems BN was the pro at Toledo, and was constantly pestered by young Frank, challenging BN. Eventually, BN played Frank and several of Frank's buddies, and beat them every possible way they could make a bet, with BN setting the course record in so doing!!!! BN certainly could play the game VERY weil.

[quote name='henricogolfer' timestamp='1327114096' post='4127999']
[quote name='okesa' timestamp='1327103100' post='4127035']
[/size]
[/quote]

Do not forget Johnny Goodman, the last am to win the US Open, read his biography if you can. Hardscrabble upbringing in Tulsa, great book, great story.
[/quote]

Actually Omaha, nebraska. great bio, highly recommended !!!