2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Looking to sponsor someone to play professional golf

isaacbm

terms and conditions included
After years of playing on the mini tours myself, I no longer am chasing the dream. I have a construction business in Calgary that's doing well. I also have 2 other friends in a similar situation. After seeing many threads on this and other sites about people wanting to know how to raise money to go out on tour, I thought I could help.

I'm making this offer to pretty much anyone that feels like they can fulfill my conditions. If someone can prove to me that they are serious about chasing pro golf, and they can prove to me that they have what I feel it takes to make it, I will raise the money necessary for them to play at least one year of professional golf.

Here are my conditions:

!. You have to send me a playing resume that includes all of your tournament history. You must include the courses, the size of fields, and your specific results. If you've never won at least one major Amateur event, I'm afraid you don't meet my conditions.

2: Also in the resume should be a list of course records that you have and these must be verified by each courses head professional. Again, if you don't hold any verifiable course records, I'm afraid you don't meet my conditions.

Include anything else that you feel is pertinent to your history and experience.

3. You must be willing to put up or shut up. To me, this means flying to Calgary on your own dime ( trip, hotel, food, golf for week about $1500 or so...) and prove to me that you have game. You will choose 1 of my list of 4 courses to play on. You will get 1 practice round. (to me this simulates mini tour golf) The courses will be between 6800 and 7100 yards long with normal member pins and very little rough. All course ratings will be 72-74. During these rounds, you must shoot an AVERAGE of 67 for the 4 rounds. If you can do that, I will raise money for you to play pro golf for 1 year (details below).

4: My time is valuable to me. In order to avoid having players( with what I consider no chance of playing on tour) waste my time, this is what I propose. If you are able to average 67 or under for 4 rounds, I will raise the money for you to play golf for one full year. If you average 68,69, or 70, I shake your hand and say good luck to you and I hope you find another way to raise the money. If you average 71 or over for the 4 rounds, you pay me $1000 for 4 days of my time. Beyond that, If I beat you, you pay me an additional $1000. If you can't beat a washed up, ex mini tour pro who runs a paving business, you have to reach in your pocket!!

My intentions are genuine. I would love to help someone that really can play the game but just can't seem to get the start up costs together to give it a shot.

The devils advocate in me however, would love to make a point: Tournament golf at a professional level is very hard. If you can't shoot low scores on easy courses with easy pins, either wait until you can to turn pro, or give it a rest and get an education and a good career and play golf in your spare time.

The one year proposal:

I Raise $50000 for entry fees and travel. With that amount of money, you will be able to play 2 series on the Gateway tour, multiple Nationwide monday qualifiers, and have money for Q school. This is not penthouse living! You will be skimping at every turn, staying in dives, and traveling by car. Finding roomates, and packing a lunch. Money doesn't make a good golfer, it simply allows an already good golfer the chance to play events. There is no money for lessons, coaching, nutritionists, or any of that other crap that I hear people pitching. If I'm sponsoring you, you already have it. If you don't have it yet, go find it on your own dime.

I will pay for a lawyer to draw up a joint venture. The breakdown of moneys earned will be similar to the following:

100% of the first $50,000 earned will go back to the sponsors. Any money earned above that up to $100,000 will be split 50/50 between the player and the sponsors. Any money made above $100.000 will be split 75% to the player, 25% to the sponsors. At the end of year one, a new proposal will be discussed for the next year if all parties are still interested. All details will obviously be worked out much more thoroughly if you can meet the above conditions. I am just giving an example of how this might be broken down based on what I've personally done in the past.

I have to limit this to the first 3 people who want to come and see me. Summer is my busy time and I can't take too much time away from my business.

Here are a few answers to some potential questions:

1. Yes I am serious
2 yes I have access to the capital to make this happen
3. No I won't change my conditions. If you don't like it, find another potential sponsor.
4. I don't care if you think my conditions are unreasonable, I personally went to palm springs in the middle of winter last year with next to no practice and averaged 69 on 5 different courses for 5 days in a row and I wouldn't even consider myself close to being ready to go back on tour.
5. I'm not bitter that I didn't make it to the PGA tour. I had my go and I simply wasn't good enough. Tough realization, but one that I'm happy I've finally accepted. It's allowed me to move on with my life into other pursuits that I love.
6. I really do want to be involved in someone elses success. I think it would be amazing to live vicariously through a great young players successful career.
7. Yes you will get to play with Thrillhouse if you come to Calgary. LOL!!
8. yes I'm a little tired of all the threads about a young kid with no experience and no game thinking he's ready to go out on the road. Golf is hard. Life is hard. If you can't do the things that are necessary to make it on tour, don't expect someone to give you a free ride. Stay an Amateur until you can shoot 67 with your eyes closed, get as much experience at the level you're at currently. It doesn't get any easier if you skip a level.... or 3!

Thoughts?? Opinions?? Please feel free to ask any questions or PM me if you're truly interested.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great idea.

I'm sure you already know this, but you will need to have an executed agreement in place before anyone travels out to see you - firstly, so they know that you will deliver on your promise of financial assistance and, secondly, so you will be able to enforce your 'penalty' conditions if they average 71 or higher (or lose to you).

Edit: And make sure you post updates on candidates in this thread! I'm sure it will get a big following.

I have several reservations about the cast of characters Isaac is going to unleash on me this spring with this cockamamee scheme of his. But his best friend from his mini tour days was a dude with a grizzly Adams beard and a collection of shotguns in his truck who lived in a tent. Long story short it's tough to faze him, bring it on weirdos!

[quote name='jpl7' timestamp='1327741394' post='4166125']
Great idea.

I'm sure you already know this, but you will need to have an executed agreement in place before anyone travels out to see you - firstly, so they know that you will deliver on your promise of financial assistance and, secondly, so you will be able to enforce your 'penalty' conditions if they average 71 or higher (or lose to you).

Edit: And make sure you post updates on candidates in this thread! I'm sure it will get a big following.
[/quote]

You're right of course. All that can be taken care of when and if the time comes.

One of my other buddies is already sponsoring a mini tour player. Ever heard of Brian Kontac? He's a guy who might be able to meet my conditions. Of course, he's already made over a million playing on mini tours (and won Big Break Mesquite) This is the sort of player I would be trying to find to actually do this. At least then there would be a reasonable chance that I could get a return on my money.

As far as posting candidates, absolutely. Though I'm really not sure how many guys would actually put their money where their mouth is when it comes to being able to shoot 20 under at will....

I think my conditions will be pretty hard to meet but that's the point. Only the best players are worth an investment. Why do so many guys think that anyone would pay for them to shoot over par?

I wonder how many Brian's are out there? Genuine question, I really have no idea.

I agree that you are unlikely to get many bites. However, as you say, if a person can't show up at you average members course and shoot the lights out they have no chance on tour.

Just a thought, if you get enough interest you could potentially arrange your own 4-day tournament and have them all play at the same time?

[quote name='hef63303' timestamp='1327754832' post='4166493']
Frankly, anyone that meets your requirements probably does not need you. They will be able to get sponsors without doing a dog and pony show for you, with better terms and conditions.
[/quote]

Then they should go do so....but his terms seem reasonable to me for him to shell out 50K on a total stranger. I'm guessing he will find a taker...

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

I don't think one person on this board can average 67 for 4 rounds of golf with that pressure. I also think shooting -20 for 4 rounds of golf with you is way to low. That's just my opinion but you should make about $2,000 this summer playing with 3 pros. Brian Kontak is also the guy who wanted to play in the US women's open...he's a tad different upstairs. Good player but there must be something holding him back. I hope you can find someone that meets all the requirements it will be a great thread.

Nike VR Limited 10.5 BlueBoard 83x
Nike VR Limited 15* BlueBoard 83x
Adams Pro 21* Fubuki AX 82x
Adams XTD Forged 4-Pw DG
Titleist Vokey 50* 55* 60* TI DG
Scotty Cameron 009 33 Inch

Interesting thread. First of all I admittedly know next to nothing about golf at the professional level with the exception of a couple of guys who have had a sniff at the PGA level. But I don't think these guys could go to unknown courses and post those kind of numbers. They don't average that during our local proam tournament on a very average course (difficulty wise) they both grew up playing. Just a little info on the two to give an idea of their caliber, one is normally among the money leaders on the gateway tour and makes a pretty good living in the midwestern state opens, and the other spent a year on the big tour just before turning 50, and recently posted a top 10 in the senior open, so good players.

I would think guys who have the game to realistically shoot a number like that will be able to find backing where they won't have to put up (or risk) their own money and time. But maybe this draws out the guys who are a bit delusional about the quality of their game (much like Isacc has said)and think this won't be a problem. Again, that is an outsider's opinion who doesn't have a lot of knowlege on the game at that level but is really, really interested to see how this developes.

Frankly, anyone that meets your requirements probably does not need you. They will be able to get sponsors without doing a dog and pony show for you, with better terms and conditions.
[/quote]

That might be part of his point ...

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

I have aspirations to get into the paving business, but i can't find the financial backing. If i come to Calgary and prove i can pave 4 challenging roads in an average of 67 minutes or less can you help a brother out? Golf isn't my thing

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

also i love the idea, but i would drop the him having to pay you if you beat him. He's already flying to Calgary on his own dime, and you'd probably be playing golf on your weekends anyway. So i don't think he's wasted your time all that much, and like you said you aren't a bad player yourself.

(BTW i didn't just post this so i could fly to Calgary on my own dime and then play with you and Thrillhouse, and frame him for a crime while i'm there. Like robbing a store with a milhouse mask and then running away saying "you'll never lock me up, i'm an internet funnyman!!!! mwahhahahahah")

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

^^^^ now that's an idea. I'll sponsor Sara Brown. Only condition is she just has to show up to the alley near my house and wait under the giant net

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I noticed someone earlier in the thread said there should be a tournament . This would be a great idea for someone else to do but i think that the way he has his sytem set up is very sound .i plan on giving the mini tours a try just not right now im 16 ill probally wait until 24 or so after college and give it 4 years on the road in my car and mcdonalds food and see if i can make it to the big leagues

Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @_aaron_wilson

[/quote]

Well that part of the point, isn't it? I would only want to help someone that I know can make me money. If for some reason there is someone out there that is that good but just has no idea how to raise a bit of money to get started, i am willing to be that person.

If I could meet my conditions, I wouldn't need $50.000 to go on tour. I would need less to start and then I'd win enough to keep myself afloat... Again, money doesn't make a good player and that's seems to be what a lot of guys on this forum seem to think.

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1327766718' post='4167083']
I have aspirations to get into the paving business, but i can't find the financial backing. If i come to Calgary and prove i can pave 4 challenging roads in an average of 67 minutes or less can you help a brother out? Golf isn't my thing
[/quote]

LOL! If you can pave a road in 67 minutes, I'll raise 2 billion for you! And you can have 95% of the profit.

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1327767100' post='4167111']
also i love the idea, but i would drop the him having to pay you if you beat him. He's already flying to Calgary on his own dime, and you'd probably be playing golf on your weekends anyway. So i don't think he's wasted your time all that much, and like you said you aren't a bad player yourself.

(BTW i didn't just post this so i could fly to Calgary on my own dime and then play with you and Thrillhouse, and frame him for a crime while i'm there. Like robbing a store with a milhouse mask and then running away saying "you'll never lock me up, i'm an internet funnyman!!!! mwahhahahahah")
[/quote]

The thing with beating me is a bit to prove a point to someone who actually is wasting my time. Also, it's added pressure to actually have an opponent. My stroke average in the computer this year was 72.4 so I think it is reasonable to ask someone to have to beat that.

The bottom line is that it will potentially cost someone $3500 to come out here and take a shot to win $50,000.

The terms are intentionally insanely hard for a reason. I don't want to " help out a stranger or give a young guy a chance to chase his pipe dream" I want to make money and be part of a PGA tour experience.

[quote name='502 to Right' timestamp='1327773713' post='4167633']
Three observations:

1) Good idea, though some of the conditions may need to be tweaked a bit (as noted up thread).

2) This would make a better reality show than Pipe Dreams.

3) Your avatar is disturbing.
[/quote]

Lol! my avatar was originally put up 2 years ago in response to a thread about a 2 handicap turning pro! The very next day there was another one up about a 10 handicap working his way towards the senior tour. I figured a drill to the head might relieve a little pressure to my migraine.